NEurope
Serebii

Minecraft: Wii U Edition (17th December)

Splatoon use is good(possibly do-able without the pad, but I'd certainly think it inferior), but without taking this topic to where many have been - the Gamepad's functionality has generally been severely underused on the whole, especially by Nintendo themselves, in comparison to the amount of asymmetrical gameplay I was expecting from initial showcases and implications.

However, the fact that you'd have such a great resource available for a game like this, and it's STILL not being utilised, is just a complete waste imo. I see little the WiiU offers over any competition on a title like this - decent gamepad integration/usage could have been that edge. For everything WiiU - the gamepad really should have been the edge, but it just really hasn't been.

Having a DPAD button press attached to each FRIEND is absolutely fine, and you can have the map on the tele already. They're nice on the gamepad, but FAR from essential

Not only would you have no idea where your friend is, or where to go on the map (because a minimap isn't nearly detailed enough to show where the ink is), but you also forget about the squid beacons that can be placed on the map to jump to. That's a grand total of up to 16 possible Super Jump points that can be placed around the map...

... Yeah, the Gamepad screen is essential for that game...

I've still never really been able to get into Minecraft on a console. Without the speed of a mouse it just feels too sluggish. That of course and I just cant really play it these days without a load of mods installed. Its a shame the console users never really get to experience those as so many of them really add a large amount of great content to the game.

Not only would you have no idea where your friend is, or where to go on the map (because a minimap isn't nearly detailed enough to show where the ink is), but you also forget about the squid beacons that can be placed on the map to jump to. That's a grand total of up to 16 possible Super Jump points that can be placed around the map...

... Yeah, the Gamepad screen is essential for that game...

I think you could squeeze the map onto the stage, but you could have a button that makes the map bigger quickly if you wanted to move. As for the beacons... do people use these? :) Ultimately maybe make it one per team, get rid of them or something. Fact is, Splatoon 2 will have to make do without a screen; and I bet it barely makes a difference.

Pretty off topic!

How would you know where said friend is exactly?

There is no way you can get a map on the TV with enough detail to reliably inform you of that player's location with just a glance.

You'd be reduced to pressing a D-Pad direction and praying that they're in the location you're hoping for. And that's not very fun.

Hit the dpad to bring up the map. up/left/right select player.. tap that player to cycle through them and their beakons, down spawn point/your beakons then hit the jump button to jump to that position. Simple, no? Sure selecting jump points could take a bit longer, but just make the jump itself faster...

Have the map transparent (% transparency as an option the user can select ranging from opaque to barely visible). So you can still shoot and aim etc. despite the map if you so wish...

Have a timer start with each dpad button press, when timer hits 0 map fades and shrinks back to the map corner. All those can be set by the player according to their preference.

Edited by Pestneb

Which is why it won't happen.

I'm totally expecting it to not happen, and that will be hilarious.

The lulz. The lulz will be had.

How would you know where said friend is exactly?

There is no way you can get a map on the TV with enough detail to reliably inform you of that player's location with just a glance.

Wait. Did you work on Mario Kart 8?

#stillbitter

USB keyboard, pro controller AND voice chat confirmed for this via the Japanese Nintendo site listing, apparently.

@kav82 day one purchase? ;)

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora

USB key lard, pro controller AND voice chat confirmed for this via the Japanese Nintendo site listing, apparently.

I already have it on PS4 so I'll not be picking it up. I would've done though if it came out when the others did.

I'll probably only get it if coaxed into by my friends or if there is Pokémon content added

USB keyboard, pro controller AND voice chat confirmed for this via the Japanese Nintendo site listing, apparently.

All that and not the one single thing that everybody wanted from Minecraft on Wii U.

zelda_tri_force_heroes_link_thumbs_up.jpg?w=740&h=1&crop=1

GG. Way to go guys!

is this published by Microsoft? Are they now the Wii U's largest 3rd party developer?

Anyone pick this up? I have to say I'm disappointed with the world size. After playing the PC version for over 3 years, it's really restricting to do stuff in a map so small. I hope they fix this with an update.

Anyone pick this up? I have to say I'm disappointed with the world size. After playing the PC version for over 3 years, it's really restricting to do stuff in a map so small. I hope they fix this with an update.

Most likely due to specs the Wii U version worlds will be like those in the PS3/360 version, which were very small. The PS4/X1 versions are something like 30 times bigger. For that reason I don't see why anyone with a PC or other next gen console would bother to pick this up.

Most likely due to specs the Wii U version worlds will be like those in the PS3/360 version, which were very small. The PS4/X1 versions are something like 30 times bigger. For that reason I don't see why anyone with a PC or other next gen console would bother to pick this up.

I mainly got it for off TV play while the missus is watching TV and the fact that I don't have to hook my laptop up to the PC to play on the big screen every time. Updates are coming though, there's a few bugs and glitches which tells me they rushed this for xmas, so who knows what they'll add in the future.

I mainly got it for off TV play while the missus is watching TV and the fact that I don't have to hook my laptop up to the PC to play on the big screen every time. Updates are coming though, there's a few bugs and glitches which tells me they rushed this for xmas, so who knows what they'll add in the future.

Well I wouldn't expect a patch for bigger worlds since that's due to the same hardware limitations as the PS3/X360.

I know I complained massively earlier on in this thread but to stay true to my usual ways, I've been a complete hypocrite and downloaded it anyway :p

I've dabbled in it a couple of times before just the free mode but this is the first time I've properly took a few hours out to learn all the crafting and shit. And man, I'm obsessed. I played it all day yesterday and most of today. I probably should have paid more attention when all my friends were playing this on the 360 a couple of years back but better late than never I suppose :p

Spent the best part of the weekend playing this in local 2-player co-op with my son. It really is nice to just sit back and, mine and craft, we got a decent sized house built, a deep mine underway, and a little farm, with 2 pigs, a cow and wheat growing. 5 hours in and we're both addicted, but I couldn't play it on my own. This is one for families and co-op playing. Tried to connect online to see how it's going and couldn't find a single other player?? Maybe it'll get better in time.

I've asked this before.... but what do you do in this game?!! Just make stuff? Is there a "game" to it or more of a playbox?

I've asked this before.... but what do you do in this game?!! Just make stuff? Is there a "game" to it or more of a playbox?

Without spoiling too much, there is a quest and a final boss, but most people either never get to it or simply aren't interested in it. It's not like Zelda for example where you are shown what you need to do and where to go, in minecraft you have to figure it all out for yourself. Wikis and guides can be helpful in this respect.

I just read the NWR review and there was a mention of the limited map size. It's an issue that I was aware existed on the 360 and PS3 versions but it's not something I've experienced first hand, but it got me thinking about why it's so limited. I bought the Pocket Edition when it first came to android and the game world was very limited in size then, but subsequent updates brought it on par with the PC original and it now offers unlimited worlds.

Does anyone know why the worlds are still limited on consoles? If smartphones are capable of producing such massive worlds, why aren't home consoles? Do you think it's a choice on the developers part?

Suddenly the world of Minecraft looks instantly more appealing to me. :p

Amazing what some themed dlc can do. :D

I don't even really like Minecraft that much either... the building aspect seems interesting and I respect what the "game" is but beyond that... I don't know.