Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing to mention is that this will come out in 2017 and will probably be expected to last another 5-6 years. So we could be into the 2020s and still looking at this screen.

Judging how the rest of the gaming industry is going, I wouldn't worry, they'll just release a radically upgraded model 3 years into its lifecycle.

Judging how the rest of the gaming industry is going, I wouldn't worry, they'll just release a radically upgraded model 3 years into its lifecycle.

I would prefer that to the current system of releasing a barely upgraded model every few years at full price any day of the week.

More for your money.

Well I was commenting on part of that rumoured spec, which tbh is poor for a 2017 launching handheld.

Unless it doubles the battery life. If NX is half way between a Wii U and PS4 as Tegra X1/X2 rumours suggest, that's a lot of power to natively output to a 720p handheld screen, let alone anything better.

I would prefer that to the current system of releasing a barely upgraded model every few years at full price any day of the week.

More for your money.

Yes I love the idea of spending £600 on two PS4s this gen because they didn't make the original powerful enough.

The 3DS upgrade was minor and iterative and wasn't supposed to be a brand new console like the Scorpio is being marketed as, and presumably the Neo will be too.

Unless it doubles the battery life. If NX is half way between a Wii U and PS4 as Tegra X1/X2 rumours suggest, that's a lot of power to natively output to a 720p handheld screen, let alone anything better.

Yes I love the idea of spending £600 on two PS4s this gen because they didn't make the original powerful enough.

The 3DS upgrade was minor and iterative and wasn't supposed to be a brand new console like the Scorpio is being marketed as, and presumably the Neo will be too.

You're like a broken record Ronnie. The ins and outs of the Neo have been discussed with you at length before (and this really isn't the topic for bringing this up anyhow). The conclusion being that it's optional and you can continue playing at the original spec for the whole generation as always if you wish to spend nothing more.

As for the 'more for your money' argument - you literally have no point. You show me one person who wouldn't rather get more for their money on a hardware revision than less. The N3DS is ultimately the same price as the last 3DS but gives you a very modest spec boost (although it brings a stabilised 3D feature and second nub that makes you still want to upgrade).

You show me one person that wouldn't have also liked a higher resolution screen or a considerable processing boost thrown in (in this scenario old 3DS owners could still play the same games). I'm saying nothing about the feasibility of this demand, just that you literally have no compelling argument against what the Neo is offering. You're coming across as very bitter here.

Edited by Sheikah

Ignoring Ronnie and back to DPI, a more suitable example 2560x1440 27" screen. 108 DPI 40-60cm away. Granted yes, still further than handheld devices but wonderful display all the same, half the distance and more than twice the DPI seems good to me. And yes, I have gone back and used old lower DPI devices. It's just not that big of a deal.

Granted, there is no real reason for Nintendo to do such a low resolution screen other than cost, which is silly because a small good quality panel should be relatively affordable. I just don't see a reason to them trying to cram 600ppi into a display. Especially when the majority won't see the difference.

Ignoring Ronnie and back to DPI, a more suitable example 2560x1440 27" screen. 108 DPI 40-60cm away. Granted yes, still further than handheld devices but wonderful display all the same, half the distance and more than twice the DPI seems good to me. And yes, I have gone back and used old lower DPI devices. It's just not that big of a deal.

Granted, there is no real reason for Nintendo to do such a low resolution screen other than cost, which is silly because a small good quality panel should be relatively affordable. I just don't see a reason to them trying to cram 600ppi into a display. Especially when the majority won't see the difference.

No I don't see the point in them doing a 600 DPI screen either (that would be prohibitively expensive and a massive drain on battery life). That said, the DPI rumoured for the NX is still very low for a device coming out in 2017. People are used to much higher and it would be like going back in time 6 years.

I also strongly contest that most people don't see the difference - we're talking about essentially the difference between 720p and 4K TVs here, in terms of the rumoured NX DPI versus modern phones.

Edited by Sheikah

I thought that games looked great on the Gamepad and played almost exclusively on it... am I half blind to have thought this? ::shrug:

My first hands-on with a Wii U was a mate's before I had mine - I recall trying some NSMBU off-screen play whilst playing around and seeing what the thing could do etc. Sitting a normal distance from the console - I noticed artifacting or something on Mario just at that; it did put me off a bit. Of course I was still interested in the WiiU, thinking that off-TV wouldn't be something I'd use, and was expecting lots of asymmetrical gaming experiences that I still bought the console when I saw it on a good deal/price - but I was rather disappointed and essentially put off of Off-TV play after that experience(and also the gamepad's incredibly poor range).

Btw I've seen the 3DS mentioned in terms of all this DPI/screen stuff - I recall again playing my mate's 3DSXL and found the screen on that a bit shitter feeling than the original 3DS's screen. Seemed a bit 'brighter'(like, whiter/lighter as happens when you up brightness on a TV) and that also put me off getting a 3DSXL - felt that the original 3DS screen offered a more vibrant experience.

Edited by Rummy

Much like buying a new GBA/SP/3DS every year or two because the screen was never good enough. It's the main reason I gave up on handhelds to be honest.

Maybe if the DPI was higher to begin with...

With all of this talk of screen quality and battery life, I wonder how the battery situation is going to work for the entire device.. ::shrug:

The screen portion will obviously need a battery, as will each half of the controller. If they're all rechargeable, will they charge separately or will it all have to be connected together to charge everything. Perhaps the controllers will use standard AA batteries.. who knows? When it's all connected, that would effectively be 3 sources of power for the device. If the amount of energy needed to power the screen can be supplemented by the batteries from the controllers, maybe the device could last considerably longer than we anticipate.. though I'm not really clued in on those sorts of things :heh:

Also, if the controller is similar in some ways to a Wii Remote when detached, will we get a wrist strap? I never play my Wii without it :grin:

With all of this talk of screen quality and battery life, I wonder how the battery situation is going to work for the entire device.. ::shrug:

The screen portion will obviously need a battery, as will each half of the controller. If they're all rechargeable, will they charge separately or will it all have to be connected together to charge everything. Perhaps the controllers will use standard AA batteries.. who knows? When it's all connected, that would effectively be 3 sources of power for the device. If the amount of energy needed to power the screen can be supplemented by the batteries from the controllers, maybe the device could last considerably longer than we anticipate.. though I'm not really clued in on those sorts of things :heh:

Also, if the controller is similar in some ways to a Wii Remote when detached, will we get a wrist strap? I never play my Wii without it :grin:

Power consumption for me is the main reason that it will be a relatively low-res display, as it will take less processing power and therefore less energy to render a 720p image rather than a 1080p one. I would assume they'd all charge at the same time when they're all connected, but if there is a middle piece that joins the two controllers then that will probably contain a charging port too.

I really hope that they don't go down the route of standard AA batteries, but it would definitely cut the costs to not have to include 3 lithium ion batteries in one product.

If I can play a better version of Breath of the Wild and all the better-than-WiiU software Nintendo have been keeping under wraps, on the go and on my big screen tv, I couldn't care less about dpi. It'll be a fantastic device regardless.

Much like buying a new GBA/SP/3DS every year or two because the screen was never good enough. It's the main reason I gave up on handhelds to be honest.

Maybe if the DPI was higher to begin with...

Why not quote the next thing I said as well?

The Scorpio is being advertised as a brand new console while Nintendo's cheaper handhelds were always iteratively updated, mostly for newcomers. There's no comparison.

I love how Ronnie talks about how the Neo is being "marketed" and "advertised" when it hasnt even been announced yet, only leaked. Always nice for him to pop up with these stupid arguments again. One day hopefully it will be realised that getting rid of him would be for the good of the community and actually stop these constant arguments.

So your argument is that it's fine for Nintendo because Nintendo's mid-gen refresh was pretty crap by comparison. As soon as the competition makes a great mid-gen refresh it's a problem because you might actually want to buy it and therefore it costs you more money?

Here's an idea - if you don't want to spend more money, don't upgrade?

Scorpio and One are confirmed to play the same games anyway so you don't really have a point.

I love how Ronnie talks about how the Neo is being "marketed" and "advertised" when it hasnt even been announced yet, only leaked. Always nice for him to pop up with these stupid arguments again.

Speaking of utter stupidity..

The Scorpio is being advertised as a brand new console

Great contribution @Happenstance. If you're going to call out someone else for having an opinion at least get your facts right.

Scorpio and One are confirmed to play the same games anyway

For now.

Also, I'm sure devs are thrilled they now have to make two versions of every game.

I dont mind being wrong, your posts are blocked for me so I only really see them when people quote you or I'm utterly stupid enough to view them myself. You mentioned the Neo in the post so thats what I went with.

Either way though my other point still stands. You are a shit stain on this forum and it would be much, much better without you. Even Serebii, someone I have never liked has started to mellow in recent months but all you ever do is cause problems.

Another great contribution, as per.

The entire games industry is about squeezing consumers for every penny they've got so it's such a moot point to argue that one company is screwing people more than any other. We all get screwed by games companies, it's just the degree that you allow yourself to be screwed by that's the difference and most of us will forever let Nintendo screw us because of an ingrained brand loyalty since childhood, so much so that users like Ronnie pretend to love it and moan about other companies that try and do it just because they aren't Nintendo.

This thread is supposed to be about rumours and speculation of the NX, but 80% of it is pretty squabbles. I know that this is the internet, but can't we please try and do better?

Edited by killthenet

Speaking of utter stupidity..

Great contribution @Happenstance. If you're going to call out someone else for having an opinion at least get your facts right.

For now.

Also, I'm sure devs are thrilled they now have to make two versions of every game.

Most likely the Scorpio will get some games/features that the previous one can't do (e.g. VR compatible) but that's not much different to the situation the DSi had going. Eventually the One support may be dropped but I doubt this would be before the One had a 'good run'. In other words I can see the traditional generation system being dropped similar to with iOS, where old model support is dropped after a reasonable period of time.

Anyway - puhlease. Developers will he pissed off that they are developing console games for 2 models? You do realise developers make their games for PC, and must therefore function on a wide variety of hardware? Think about what you're saying man. Also, why does this matter in any way to us when assessing how great the refreshes are?

The recent stuff about the NX having motion controls doesn't really fill me with that much confidence. We'll obviously have to wait and see how Nintendo implement this but...I'm a bit tired of multiple controls schemes and games feeling like a demonstration for tech. I just want to play games of various types. Deep games that you can lose hours, days, weeks and months to and games which are fun to play in short bursts.

Imo, innovation comes in various forms. I understand Nintendo need to do things differently, but the obsession over controller methods is getting a bit tiresome for me.

Why not quote the next thing I said as well?

I still addressed it in my post, as I said, I felt the upgrades were significant enough that it made me wonder why they weren't there in the first place/made me not want to buy one because in a year or two it would be obsolete.

It may not have been a new console, but it still made owners of the originals feel like the console they'd spent their hard earned money on was now inferior. Not a good feeling for any consumer.

And before you get on your high "Sony/Microsoft does it too!" Horse, I've never said I approve of the new offerings from them either.

The recent stuff about the NX having motion controls doesn't really fill me with that much confidence. We'll obviously have to wait and see how Nintendo implement this but...I'm a bit tired of multiple controls schemes and games feeling like a demonstration for tech. I just want to play games of various types. Deep games that you can lose hours, days, weeks and months to and games which are fun to play in short bursts.

Imo, innovation comes in various forms. I understand Nintendo need to do things differently, but the obsession over controller methods is getting a bit tiresome for me.

I actually feel quite differently about the most recent rumour and feel like this new controller has the potential to cover every possibility, from games like Wii Sports to anything you'd find on rival platforms.. certainly if it's anything like what I picture in my head :heh:

If it's as all-encompassing as it has the potential to be, it should actually negate the need for purchasing multiple different controllers as you'll only need this one to play everything the NX will have to offer :hehe:

In fact, this is probably the first time I've been truly excited since the original detachable controller rumours leaked. I just hope the vision I now have of the NX is somewhere close to the reality :smile:

I actually feel quite differently about the most recent rumour and feel like this new controller has the potential to cover every possibility, from games like Wii Sports to anything you'd find on rival platforms.. certainly if it's anything like what I picture in my head :heh:

If it's as all-encompassing as it has the potential to be, it should actually negate the need for purchasing multiple different controllers as you'll only need this one to play everything the NX will have to offer :hehe:

In fact, this is probably the first time I've been truly excited since the original detachable controller rumours leaked. I just hope the vision I now have of the NX is somewhere close to the reality :smile:

WiiSports was 10 years ago now. Nintendo didn't really follow up from that and we haven't had a massive amount of games since or in recent years that really warrant these multiple control schemes. I can just see this being another control scheme thrown into the mix that could potentially make things even more confusing.

Simplicity is under-rated.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!