NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Article on the lack of extra features:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/8/14544938/nintendo-switch-tablet-netflix-browser-opportunity

This is the kind of stuff I've mentioned before. For me its not that I dont have other devices that will do these things already, its that I do and they will be the devices I will end up taking with me in my bag instead of the Switch, whereas if the Switch also let me stream Netflix and browse the web then I probably would have taken that instead for the extra incentive of bigger games.

Article on the lack of extra features:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/8/14544938/nintendo-switch-tablet-netflix-browser-opportunity

This is the kind of stuff I've mentioned before. For me its not that I dont have other devices that will do these things already, its that I do and they will be the devices I will end up taking with me in my bag instead of the Switch, whereas if the Switch also let me stream Netflix and browse the web then I probably would have taken that instead for the extra incentive of bigger games.

Do note that not being at launch doesn't mean not being there forever

Nintendo obviously have data on how many people use their web browsers, and it must have been a very low number. If I'm out and about I use my phone. I don't want to take my Switch out, connect to a wifi hotspot and then browse. As for Netflix, meh, I have about 4 other devices that has it. I'd much prefer a simpler, faster OS with the potential to add apps later.

I'm just more than happy that they're focusing on what the need to, which is the games.

If they decide to release extra media software months down the line, then so be it, I'd be happy with that as an optional extra. :)

Giving people the choice is obviously good, so long as it doesn't impact on Nintendo too much then by all means, they should put all the media apps on there, equally if there really is that much of a backlash about there being none available then they will likely choose to do so as it would be a good business move. ::shrug:

Just keep the games coming at all costs though as that will always be the main priority and so it should be, especially as we've had gaming droughts with previous consoles.

You can't please everyone but if Nintendo can end up pleasing say an extra fifteen percent of their potential market (random percentage for arguments sake) by chucking on a few media players and a web-browser at minimal cost then so be it. : peace:

Just don't put too much focus on it, keep it a low-key secondary or even tertiary selling-point and all will be well.

Just pre-ordered a pro controller from Amazon, do they usually hit release date for delivery of products?

Seen some YouTubers who've played the game saying the joy-cons aren't entirely comfortable for playing Zelda, so seeing this as an investment for some of the bigger single player games I'll be playing exclusively at home.

Nintendo obviously have data on how many people use their web browsers, and it must have been a very low number. If I'm out and about I use my phone. I don't want to take my Switch out, connect to a wifi hotspot and then browse. As for Netflix, meh, I have about 4 other devices that has it. I'd much prefer a simpler, faster OS with the potential to add apps later.

We all know the reason there is no Internet Browser has nothing to do with metrics.

It's to do with the fact that internet browsers are the easiest way to hack into a system

We all know the reason there is no Internet Browser has nothing to do with metrics.

It's to do with the fact that internet browsers are the easiest way to hack into a system

A combination of the two.

Correct. One could argue though it's up to Nintendo to make it secure but I can fully understand the reason behind this.

The Netflix, I player etc etc I'm not really sure. Nintendo put them on the wii and wii u so why not now

Whether or not you already have nineteen devices that run Netflix isn't really the point. It should be on there so that people are more likely to consider it instead of spending their money on a new tablet or whatever.

Correct. One could argue though it's up to Nintendo to make it secure but I can fully understand the reason behind this.

The Netflix, I player etc etc I'm not really sure. Nintendo put them on the wii and wii u so why not now

They'll undoubtedly come to it, it's just they hadn't given devkits to Netflix etc. to get it done in time for launch

Sounds like there'll be no Project Cars 2 for Switch, it doesn't sound powerful enough once again...

Originally Project CARS had a Wii U version announced that didn’t quite work out, but do you guys have any plans for Nintendo Switch?

I think the Wii U thing is very similar to the PSVR thing, and that’s why I don’t want to get people’s hopes as much. With the Wii U version, the actual machine was brilliant, I play on it with my kids all the time, but technically, getting the game to a state where it matches our standards was extremely challenging. In the end it was something we weren’t happy with, releasing a version that was substandard to what the eventual title ending up being, which was critically acclaimed (it did extremely well), and it may not have been if we pursued the Wii U version further, so we decided to ultimately stop production on that.

In terms of Nintendo Switch, I can say probably that Project CARS franchise will not be coming to Nintendo Switch currently.

That’s a shame, it would be cool to take it on the go.

Similar to the Wii U, it looks amazing. I’ve held it in my hands, and the concept of taking it on the go, yeah, I totally agree: we’re all gadget freaks, so we kind of want to, but equally I just don’t think it’s going to be possible.

http://nintendoeverything.com/project-cars-2-creative-director-would-love-to-do-something-on-switch-but-dont-count-on-a-port/

In my head, because the CARS bit is all in capitals, it means you have to shout when you get to that point when reading it out.

Sounds like there'll be no Project Cars 2 for Switch, it doesn't sound powerful enough once again...

http://nintendoeverything.com/project-cars-2-creative-director-would-love-to-do-something-on-switch-but-dont-count-on-a-port/

Not surprising. A handheld (I don't care what Nintendo say) was never going to be powerful enough for high end graphic intense games seen on ps4/xb1.

Now nothing stopping Nintendo developing there own racer for racing games fans but that will never happen.

Edited by liger05

I'm gonna be cynical and suggest that not putting Project CARS on the Switch is a marketing strategy. It's a way of saying "the best thing about this game is how amazingly lifelike the graphics are and you need the best possible system for an amazing, realistic driving experience". Realistically you could probably run a gorgeous racing sim on the Switch pretty easily, but they know the market's not there and it won't affect their bottom line that much to not bother with it.

Not surprising. A handheld (I don't care what Nintendo say) was never going to be powerful enough for high end graphic intense games seen on ps4/xb1.

Now nothing stopping Nintendo developing there own racer for racing games fans but that will never happen.

I'd have hoped that the Switch could run ports, sure at less of a graphic fidelity but at least with similar performance. It seems not even that would be feasible though.

I'd have hoped that the Switch could run ports, sure at less of a graphic fidelity but at least with similar performance. It seems not even that would be feasible though.

True, maybe it could, but I think it's a matter of whether devs want to do that.

Because the Wii & Wii U got hacked?

I'm gonna be cynical and suggest that not putting Project CARS on the Switch is a marketing strategy. It's a way of saying "the best thing about this game is how amazingly lifelike the graphics are and you need the best possible system for an amazing, realistic driving experience". Realistically you could probably run a gorgeous racing sim on the Switch pretty easily, but they know the market's not there and it won't affect their bottom line that much to not bother with it.

If they were really serious about that, then they should drop PS4 and XBO

If they were really serious about that, then they should drop PS4 and XBO

Not really, cos I'm not talking about them actually wanting to really only produce the game on the most powerful systems, I'm talking about them taking advantage of public perception to sell games. So an average PS4/XBO player hears "this game is so good, the Switch can't even run it! But your Xbox One can!"

Anyway, I'm only being cynical and throwing around unfounded ideas.

I don't know, it looks like 90's Arcade Racer is dead really. The last update on the Kickstarter was in November 2015 so it seems like its either cancelled or going through development hell.

With Project Cars I find it hard to believe that they aren't interested in a Switch port. Reading up on their cancellation of the first one on Wii U they were only able to get the game to run at 21/22fps running at 720p and didn't feel the size of the user base was worth the work they had to do to optimise it to run at the 30fps Nintendo were looking for. Obviously Project Cars 2 is going to be a nicer looking game than the first one but its still going to be running on the same base PS4/Xbox hardware that the first one ran on. Even undocked the Switch is significantly more powerful than the Wii U so surely they'd be able to hit 30fps at 720p if they managed to get close to that on the Wii U. I think they're just being cautious really and waiting to see if the Switch is a success before they dedicate resources to it, especially after they seemingly wasted a lot of time in their failed Wii U port of the first game.

I don't know, it looks like 90's Arcade Racer is dead really. The last update on the Kickstarter was in November 2015 so it seems like its either cancelled or going through development hell.

With Project Cars I find it hard to believe that they aren't interested in a Switch port. Reading up on their cancellation of the first one on Wii U they were only able to get the game to run at 21/22fps running at 720p and didn't feel the size of the user base was worth the work they had to do to optimise it to run at the 30fps Nintendo were looking for. Obviously Project Cars 2 is going to be a nicer looking game than the first one but its still going to be running on the same base PS4/Xbox hardware that the first one ran on. Even undocked the Switch is significantly more powerful than the Wii U so surely they'd be able to hit 30fps at 720p if they managed to get close to that on the Wii U. I think they're just being cautious really and waiting to see if the Switch is a success before they dedicate resources to it, especially after they seemingly wasted a lot of time in their failed Wii U port of the first game.

I think you are right in the sense it's a waiting game. If it sells a lot there is much stronger chance ports will come.

As for Netflix, meh, I have about 4 other devices that has it. I'd much prefer a simpler, faster OS with the potential to add apps later.

You can have Netflix and a fast OS. It's already been done.

No analogue triggers would not have helped either.