NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I've asked this before but not yet seen a definitive answer. Is Gamecube Virtual Console official or just a rumour?

I've asked this before but not yet seen a definitive answer. Is Gamecube Virtual Console official or just a rumour?

Considering they have said nothing of the Switch VC I'm fairly sure it's just a rumour.

I'm also not sure it's going to happen given that the Switch doesn't have the analogue triggers. Unless they're going for a cash grab and going to release GameCube styled JoyCons in a years time when the finally launch the first GC VC game (and then probably charge £15 per game)...

Considering they have said nothing of the Switch VC I'm fairly sure it's just a rumour.

I'm also not sure it's going to happen given that the Switch doesn't have the analogue triggers. Unless they're going for a cash grab and going to release GameCube styled JoyCons in a years time when the finally launch the first GC VC game (and then probably charge £15 per game)...

Considering the jacked up prices for SNES games I really wouldn't be surprised if they charged £15 for GameCube games.

£15 would be outrageous.

I'm also not sure it's going to happen given that the Switch doesn't have the analogue triggers.

Other than Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart Double Dash, which Nintendo games use the analogues? Not being snarky, here, genuine question.

Other than Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart Double Dash, which Nintendo games use the analogues? Not being snarky, here, genuine question.

Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero GX, Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike, 1080 Avalanche, Smash Bros, The Metroid Primes, Wave Race, Metal Gear Solid, I'm sure there's a few more though.

Kinda similar to the Gamepad, some major games used it in a meaningful way, but not many.

Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero GX, Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike, 1080 Avalanche, Smash Bros, The Metroid Primes, Wave Race, Metal Gear Solid, I'm sure there's a few more though.

Kinda similar to the Gamepad, some major games used it in a meaningful way, but not many.

Man, I didn't even remember F-Zero's usage until now :heh: I barely used the shoulder buttons. Also forgot Melee's soft shield.

I don't recall the Metroid Primes ever using them, though. Does it allow you to strafe without locking on, or something?

Come to think of it, with so many GC games using it, its crazy Nintendo didn't put this in the joy-cons, I mean, why not?

Slightly concerned GC VC games might not be a thing - but the nature of the joy-cons mean they can easily create a variant with the analogue buttons.

I don't recall the Metroid Primes ever using them, though. Does it allow you to strafe without locking on, or something?

If you held down R slightly, you could look around freely.

Holding R all the way makes a targeting reticle appear.

Doesn't sound at all useful, sure. But it'd be good if you had a capture device and wanted a screenshot with minimal HUD effects.

Come to think of it, with so many GC games using it, its crazy Nintendo didn't put this in the joy-cons, I mean, why not?

So they could sell you GC themed joy-cons with analogue triggers once they release the first GC VC game.

So they could sell you GC themed joy-cons with analogue triggers once they release the first GC VC game.

Makes sense from a business perspective - I just hope at the moment it hasn't halted third parties from porting their racers from launch until the GC joycons.

Makes sense from a business perspective - I just hope at the moment it hasn't halted third parties from porting their racers from launch until the GC joycons.

The GC adapter could also be another solution.

That connects via USB, right?

Anyone here heard of Gameseek? Looks like they're doing an offer soon where you can pre-order the Switch for £198.50 (in-line with them honouring their pre- price announcement pre-order price).

https://www.gameseek.co.uk/video-gaming-news/2858/nintendo-switch-back-on-sale-%A3198.50-at-gameseek

The GC adapter could also be another solution.

That connects via USB, right?

It does indeed, the problem with requiring that though is that it makes the games unplayable in portable mode since the dock is what has all the USB ports...

Edited by Dcubed

Once again it's starting to feel like us early adopters are going to get fisted by Nintendo. They must be aware of such rumours and REALLY need to confirm a whole lot of information before this thing goes on sale . I can very much see this dropping £50 and being bundled with 1-2 Switch within 6 months.

Once again it's starting to feel like us early adopters are going to get fisted by Nintendo. They must be aware of such rumours and REALLY need to confirm a whole lot of information before this thing goes on sale . I can very much see this dropping £50 and being bundled with 1-2 Switch within 6 months.

I think you're putting way too much stock on "need" and rumour.

Why can you see it price dropping? Because Nintendo haven't spoken about Virtual Console?

I think you're putting way too much stock on "need" and rumour.

Why can you see it price dropping? Because Nintendo haven't spoken about Virtual Console?

Because I can very much see a Wii U situation where after the first few million sales it falls off a cliff and then they either do a 3DS and drop the price or a Wii U where they just let it die.

I've just found an article where apparently 3 different sources have confirmed GC VC is a thing and there are 3 games ready. Fingers crossed.

Because I can very much see a Wii U situation where after the first few million sales it falls off a cliff and then they either do a 3DS and drop the price or a Wii U where they just let it die.

I've just found an article where apparently 3 different sources have confirmed GC VC is a thing and there are 3 games ready. Fingers crossed.

This wouldn't shock me.

I think the reality is that they will probably just amend the controls a little so that the GameCube games are playable without analogue triggers. I'm hoping there could even be Wii virtual console as the joy cons have waggle.

Generally though, VC won't make or break Switch - it will be the quality and quantity of new retail titles.

They'll have enough to get the diehard Nintendo fans in but it's also about persuading the PS4 and X1 owners that a Switch is a better choice to have a 2nd console this year rather than upgrading their main console with a PS4 Pro or a Scorpio.

What is there left to confirm? Only things I can think of are the VC (which probably won't be there for launch and may well not be available until the paid online service launches; as it's the only timeframe we have available to us), what the eShop looks like/account transfer details and what the paid online service will be like (which won't available until around September-November).

Of those, the only big one that really needs to be spoken about before launch is the NNID transfer/eShop details; we know that the online service will be barebones and lacking in functionality until the Autumn and the VC clearly isn't ready yet, else they would've mentioned it by now. There's a system update coming in the future to enable USB 3 support (and probably USB HDD support alongside it) and the video capture feature; probably will come out when the paid online service launches in Autumn; but they're not gonna commit to an exact date yet because they probably don't know when it'll be ready for sure yet.

Otherwise we probably won't hear anything else until E3 now, outside of release dates for ARMS, Splatoon 2 and MK8DX outside Japan (though I'd be shocked if it didn't come out on the same day worldwide; April 28th). I expect the VC to be announced there, alongside with details about the online service and the upcoming System Update.

Edited by Dcubed

What is there left to confirm? Only things I can think of are the VC (which probably won't be there for launch and may well not be available until the paid online service launches; as it's the only timeframe we have available to us), what the eShop looks like/account transfer details and what the paid online service will be like (which won't available until around September-November).

Of those, the only big one that really needs to be spoken about before launch is the NNID transfer/eShop details; we know that the online service will be barebones and lacking in functionality until the Autumn and the VC clearly isn't ready yet, else they would've mentioned it by now. There's a system update coming in the future to enable USB 3 support (and probably USB HDD support alongside it) and the video capture feature; probably will come out when the paid online service launches in Autumn; but they're not gonna commit to an exact date yet because they probably don't know when it'll be ready for sure yet.

Otherwise we probably won't hear anything else until E3 now, outside of release dates for ARMS, Splatoon 2 and MK8DX outside Japan (though I'd be shocked if it didn't come out on the same day worldwide; April 28th). I expect the VC to be announced there, alongside with details about the online service and the upcoming System Update.

I think USB HDD support kind of goes against the concept of the Switch though :p

If they did that it could be cool if they did themed joycons that came with a vc game included.

Looking at the GC controller though, I don't see how they could get a GC joy con that would feel right. if they adapt the design (fairly significantly) they could do it, but if they essentially replaced the central portion of a GC pad with the switch, it would look far less slick.

The best I can imagine would be like a nunchuck, with the dpad closer to being directly beneath the left analogue stick and with the 4 face buttons on the right rotated round the A, so the be is beneath the a, y and x buttons both rotated anticlockwise round the A by about 30 degrees so the layout is more of a "Y". Not sure how that would feel though. I think supporting the gc adapter wouldn't be a terrible move, but as mentioned it would reduce the portability of several games. maybe a Joy-con + will be released in a couple of years with analogue shoulders to coincide with GC releases. Oh, as well as UHD rumble :laughing:

I think USB HDD support kind of goes against the concept of the Switch though :p

They did say that they're considering it though. I'd imagine that they'd just have it so that if you're using it with the currently played game, it just stops if you undock the console. No other way around it that I can see really.

It's nice to have the option of using it I suppose. SD Card sizes still have a ways to go before they can viably take their place at a reasonable price (we'll get there within the next few years though).

Whatever solutions they come up with for the GCN VC, I'm sure the GCN USB adapter will be one of them though; even if it only works in docked mode. Maybe some games just won't support handheld mode properly at all?

Edited by Dcubed

Anything like USB HDD support isn't going to happen or at least I wouldn't have thought to as Nintendo will work on the assumption of the fact that if you can't take it with you without needing a power source then you're out of luck.

Though you can play the thing in tabletop mode so, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a dedicated set of Joy-Cons for GameCube VC games which sadly means we won't see them for launch unless Nintendo has been really clever and effectively managed to utilise the HD Rumble as depth perception or even turn those digital triggers into analogue without people realising. ;)

Otherwise, games which don't require the Digitial Click for launch, then the rest later, maybe the option of GC Joy-Cons for out and about, with the GC controller adapter usable when docked only, I'd appreciate being able to make use of that ill-fated peripheral which currently sits atop my Wii U as a functional amiibo stand when not in use with SSB for Wii U... I'm not even kidding here either. :blush:

It's going to be an interesting few days/weeks/months but personally if Nintendo are going to pull a fast one and make us buy another set of Joy-Cons then do it sooner rather than later, copy the GC layout but make the D-Pad BIGGER and actually functional plus you might as well forgo the one Joy-Con each thing if you have to in order to make the VC design work in this instance; but definitely do something as it would be a great shame to miss out on those GC titles which require those wonderful triggers with that digital click which you created in the first place Nintendo, otherwise we're left with awkward compromises again. ::shrug:

If they did that it could be cool if they did themed joycons that came with a vc game included.

Looking at the GC controller though, I don't see how they could get a GC joy con that would feel right. if they adapt the design (fairly significantly) they could do it, but if they essentially replaced the central portion of a GC pad with the switch, it would look far less slick.

The best I can imagine would be like a nunchuck, with the dpad closer to being directly beneath the left analogue stick and with the 4 face buttons on the right rotated round the A, so the be is beneath the a, y and x buttons both rotated anticlockwise round the A by about 30 degrees so the layout is more of a "Y". Not sure how that would feel though. I think supporting the gc adapter wouldn't be a terrible move, but as mentioned it would reduce the portability of several games. maybe a Joy-con + will be released in a couple of years with analogue shoulders to coincide with GC releases. Oh, as well as UHD rumble :laughing:

Also this is what I'm talking about with compromises, there's just no easy way to implement it now is there? :hmm:

Wii Sports Resort pack in mania all over again. :p

Anyway, I'm only half-serious, I know there's more information to come but from a Virtual Console view I've been thinking about that GameCube controller far more than I care to admit as I adore it and don't want its legacy to be lost... ever. :D

You're obviously forgetting about this bad boy.

05d270c28e19aa81cbe2038cc8a7f2b4.jpg

Given how much the Switch already costs along with its accessory prices I'd be pretty damn pissed off if I was forced to buy more stuff to be able to play GC games.

Given how much the Switch already costs along with its accessory prices I'd be pretty damn pissed off if I was forced to buy more stuff to be able to play GC games.

Yep but this is Nintendo. Whether it's over priced retro software or extra accessories to play said software I really wouldn't put it past them.