NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I caved and pre-ordered at my local Gamestop today. €400 for the console and Zelda but I had €160 on my account from trade-ins so not as painful as I'd expected.

The lack of browser doesn't really seem like much of a problem to me as I would guess most people use their phone for a quick browse anyway or their PC/laptop/tablet if necessary. I assume Nintendo have statistics which would suggest it was and underused feature of their previous consoles and handheld.

On one hand, it may be frustrating to think of all of the things Nintendo aren't doing with the Switch but I find it almost comforting that they're going back to focusing on what they do best which is making amazing games :smile:

The lack of browser doesn't really seem like much of a problem to me as I would guess most people use their phone for a quick browse anyway or their PC/laptop/tablet if necessary. I assume Nintendo have statistics which would suggest it was and underused feature of their previous consoles and handheld.

On one hand, it may be frustrating to think of all of the things Nintendo aren't doing with the Switch but I find it almost comforting that they're going back to focusing on what they do best which is making amazing games :smile:

Yeah, reminds me of the Gamecube - a pure gaming machine.

Extra features are always good, but having another device with a browser or Netflix isn't a selling point for me - already have 4 devices in the house that does these things.

Netflix and a web browser I definitely don't care about, I have a dozen bits of tech that cover that, but it would be nice to have some sort of Streetpass style app in there somewhere. It was a really useful feature and basically gave them free advertising giving people a reason to take their 3DS outdoors with them.

I know it'd never happen but I'd love a "bookshop" feature on the Switch. Download books and read them on the go... I love a good read and I'd only ever need take my Switch anywhere with me.

Great idea if this turns out to be true

One of the things that most called our attention was knowing that the console in handheld mode, along with the Joy-Con will have mutual feedback.

What does this mean? Well, when we play with the Nintendo switch in handheld mode with the Joy-Con, these can charge the console and viceversa. This will happen when some of those parts have low battery, this way we will be able to play some extra time. For example, if the battery of the console is at 10% and the joycons are at 100%, these will charge the console.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/02/07/rumour-joy-cons-will-be-able-to-charge-the-nintendo-switch-when-attached/

It's a step back for me as I own a Wii U and if I was to buy a Switch, it supposedly would be the console replacing it under my TV. Having a bunch of features I've been used to, no longer be present in the next console, such as a browser, netflix and even Miiverse is regressive to me.

Plus the Wii U browser is genuinely awesome so it's a shame the Switch won't have something like that. Hopefully they'll add it in the future.

I'm not buying all these they are concentrating on making it purely a games machine.

It's no more than a games machine than PS4 or xb1 which have multimedia functionality and browsers.

I'm there for the games on day 1 and the hype, nothing else. :)

While I can understand annoyance at the Switch having no other multimedia capabilities, it's personally not a deal-breaker for me. ::shrug:

But it does show that if there's a market for it then these are things Nintendo can add if people really want them that badly. : peace:

Already owning multiple platforms though, I must say that I'm glad that they have such features even if I don't use them that much.

May the hype keep rolling with the Switch, I'm spending a lot of my week off work sorting out my setup/gaming room so I've got space for the machine, games and enough room to enjoy some single and multiplayer games. :D

I'll post a pic of the Switch Shelf™ when I'm done. :wink:

I'm there for the games on day 1 and the hype, nothing else. :)

While I can understand annoyance at the Switch having no other multimedia capabilities, it's personally not a deal-breaker for me. ::shrug:

But it does show that if there's a market for it then these are things Nintendo can add if people really want them that badly. : peace:

Already owning multiple platforms though, I must say that I'm glad that they have such features even if I don't use them that much.

May the hype keep rolling with the Switch, I'm spending a lot of my week off work sorting out my setup/gaming room so I've got space for the machine, games and enough room to enjoy some single and multiplayer games. :D

I'll post a pic of the Switch Shelf™ when I'm done. :wink:

I'm not annoyed just I don't think it has anything to do with trying to make it a pure games machine.

I think it's more Nintendo thinking those things are not necessary to sell the thing.

I'm not annoyed just I don't think it has anything to do with trying to make it a pure games machine.

I think it's more Nintendo thinking those things are not necessary to sell the thing.

Ah fair play, that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular but I was just stating that I can understand people being annoyed at what the machine may or may not lack in the multimedia department. :)

It quite likely is a bare-bones scenario, particularly at launch but I think there is still a lot we don't know about the machine even now so it's possible these things might miraculously appear later on.

There's still a fair amount packed into the Switch though, which is really exciting from a gaming perspective. :D

Plus at least Nintendo are being on-message about having a reasonable amount of games coming out in the first year, there was one year at E3 where all I can remember Microsoft going on about with the Xbox One was "TV, TV, TV, Kinect, Cloud..." Zzzzzzzz... :zzz: they are in a stronger position now though with the games as I bought one just over two years ago.

Also it's interesting to think that due to a very good deal, I ended up getting the console, two top games and some marketplace credit for £282.71... that's only just going to get me the Switch before you add on all the extras this time around, which is... sobering :blank: but I reckon it'll still be worth it.

Give it time though, as much as I don't like putting too much faith in Reggie :hmm: maybe we'll all be looking back pretty fondly on the first year of the Switch, I really hope so. :smile:

Yeah, reminds me of the Gamecube - a pure gaming machine.

Extra features are always good, but having another device with a browser or Netflix isn't a selling point for me - already have 4 devices in the house that does these things.

Yep and that wasn't a best seller either.

I think these features are needed. I used them and gutted I can't. Thank goodness I do have a PS4. I don't have a smart TV or a tablet.

Ask yourself, will not having Netflix streaming capabilities and a browser really stop you from buying this or another gaming machine?

Heck, people are preordering the Switch even while their own personal gaming prerequisites aren't being met!

I think these features are needed. I used them and gutted I can't. Thank goodness I do have a PS4. I don't have a smart TV or a tablet.

Well it wasn't due to not being a DVD player - possibly due to not utilising the more popular DVD discs as a medium.

For such a pure games machine the GC certainly failed to provide online games even with a modem built in :sad:

If I hear anyone call the switch a pure gaming machine over PS4 and Xbox one I will slap them. The measurements for a games machine is the games. Pure gaming machine slogans are pointless if you do not back it up with games.

Some nice ads in Japan

The last one is Zelda and a bit spoilery. I mean no spoilers as such, just a shot at the end of Link with Zelda we hadn't seen before.

Also, spoiler: the game looks f-in beautiful (as do the other two above tbf)

Edited by Ronnie

This may have been posted before but does anyone know what comes inside the box? I see that I can buy adapters, charging cables etc. I wish to avoid incurring unnecessary costs.

This may have been posted before but does anyone know what comes inside the box? I see that I can buy adapters, charging cables etc. I wish to avoid incurring unnecessary costs.

nintendoswitch_boxcontent_c_ukac_en.jpg

No joycon grip that comes with doesn't charge them, if you want to charge them outside of the main console you need the £25 grip

Joycon grip compared with Xbox One controller

comp2bpszo.jpg