NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Good move, because when you start it on the Wii U you don't want to then realise what an awful mistake you've made skipping the Switch at launch

:p

I'm sure it's not going to be much different between the two, it's a Wii U game after all! I'm waiting for a Switch price cut first, and some more games as I'm not interested in buying Mario Kart 8 again, and want to know more about Splatoon 2 first before it becomes a selling point!

I definitely want one for Mario Odyssey though.

(anyway, I still actually have a switch preorder for if it really blows me away!)

i didn't realise I was that bad! :p

Well at least yours and Serebii's positivity are actually taking their toll on me, I'll be caving and picking a Switch up. Given that I don't use my WiiU or 3DS I may as well trade them in like you said.

No doubt I'll still whinge about online, this is Nintendo after all, but maybe... just maybe, your positivity will rub off a little more and I'll not do it as much! Haha :p

Surely theres something about the Switch that has you excited for you to cave...? If you dont mind me asking, what has you excited about the Switch? Just asking as its a bit hard to see why you'll actually trade all your stuff to get one. [Refering to your response to my countdown].

Surely theres something about the Switch that has you excited for you to cave...? If you dont mind me asking, what has you excited about the Switch? Just asking as its a bit hard to see why you'll actually trade all your stuff to get one. [Refering to your response to my countdown].

I genuinely have zero excitement for it. I appreciate the hybrid nature of the device, but it doesn't excite me at all.

The only reason I'll be getting it is because I don't want to miss out on Mario, Xenoblade 2 and most importantly any upcoming Metroid (if it bloody does).

...but I've no excitement.

Come on. Nintendo wouldn't have a console with no Metroid games on unless they wanted it to bomb.

Metroid is one of the few Nintendo titles that could appeal to people who dislike the happy colours and childish theme's.

So, like Ashley said, it would be really weird if they didnt come with a Switch Metroid.

Then again, WiiU didnt have its own Metroid game, right?

The only reason I'll be getting it is because I don't want to miss out on Mario, Xenoblade 2 and most importantly any upcoming Metroid (if it bloody does).

Retro tweeted pictures of prime steak after Peer Schneider asked them what they're developing. I think it's a pretty safe bet.

Retro tweeted pictures of prime steak after Peer Schneider asked them what they're developing. I think it's a pretty safe bet.

Reggie also suggested as much a few weeks ago

Calling Metroid one of Nintendo's "crown jewels," Fils-Aime said Nintendo is "committed to that franchise." He stressed Nintendo's primary concern is moving the franchise forward.

"I have nothing to announce - here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can't wait for the next true installment in that franchise's legacy. Suffice it to say, we're aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let's look back and see what's happened."

Are people still trusting Reggie..?!

The mans track record is abysmal...

But he did start to win me back with his comment how when he joined at the end of the GameCube life that was obviously a failure...and now everyone wants GC VC! Can't win!!

I expect we'll see a Metroid alongside Fire Emblem in 2018, given how quiet they've been about the distant future and literally all the traditional 'big hitters' are coming in year one, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and I suppose Splatoon.

If Nintendo are serious about attracting the types of people they've been using in their marketing so far then they have a lot of work to do, marketing to gamers and not just Nintendo fans needs to happen throughout the console's lifespan. Obviously the third parties will fill this gap in a lot of respects, if sports games and shooters are on the table (they've already lost the racing fans thanks to the horrible decision not to use analogue triggers), but they need to show something less colourful and cutesy if they want to attract more "mainstream" gamers, who are now used to more complex storytelling and systems as opposed to simply solid gameplay and tight control which has always been Nintendo's staple. 1-2 Switch and Arms are likely not that, regardless of how deep Arms' control scheme turns out to be, it still looks like a 'Nintendo' game.

Nintendo needs something like a Metroid to appeal to a different kind of gamer, those who are fond of these deeper, more story-driven experiences. Furthermore, "B-titles" need to make a return. Yes, I'm talking about F-Zero (sorry), WaveRace, even Disaster Day of Crisis and the like, but properly marketed and released! Support games niche games like Bayonetta. While these games might not sell bucket loads they give the console variety and the consumer a wider choice which ultimately improves the viability of the console to the averge gamers wallet. The days of slapping a Nintendo mascot on a title won't cut it anymore and hoping to sell it to the hardcore is a battle of diminishing returns.

While I'll be more than happy with a Wii U 2 kind of lineup, selling 100 million consoles on that premise, as Kimishima boldly suggested they would do, simply won't happen. I really hope for their own sakes they have a lot more up their sleeves.

As for Reggie, I'd pay him absolutely no heed. He is the just the English language mouthpiece for NCL. What US and EU gamers want from Nintendo is probably not even in their comprehension. The info they've released so far on the Switch so far (especially the information they haven't) is massively Japan centric and watching him squirm in interviews makes me pity the guy because he is obviously so neutered by Japan. Don't envy him at all.

They have a preview day in the Netherlands as well, I'm trying to sign up for it but the site's impossible. First I had trouble creating an account (apparently I didn't have one anymore, I vaguely recalling something about that when they changed the star catalogue), and now I have a new account it won't let me sign up.

Not a big loss, I didn't intend to do much previewing, I'd skip Zelda, but it would be a nice first experience with the interface and an opportunity to give some games a chance that I don't intend to buy.

Edited by Sméagol

Come on. Nintendo wouldn't have a console with no Metroid games on unless they wanted it to bomb.

Yeah.

Metroid is a guaranteed seller.

Oh wait :p

The info they've released so far on the Switch so far (especially the information they haven't) is massively Japan centric and watching him squirm in interviews makes me pity the guy because he is obviously so neutered by Japan. Don't envy him at all.

Basically this, must have the patience of a saint having to work with (for) Japan.

Yep. Around 20 think. I've played them all through though, with the exception of the Bayonetta games but they didn't click with me, I wasn't a fan.

It's always sad to see games go but with the Switch not being backwards compatible and that I don't really play them anymore I may as well.

I'm serious about beating trade-in prices for anyone thinking about this! I still wanna fill out my collection for Wii U and missing some obvious ones like Yoshi's Wooly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Colour Splash, Captain Toad, DKC:TF, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, TP:HD(maybe), Super Luigi U, NES Remix...maybe one or two others I've forgotten too! May actually post over in the Trades in case anyone else has the same idea...

Anyway re:online I still think more than £20 is too expensive for what it's offering from what we know so far, it's just not the same value as the competition from what I've seen so far. I'd be more interested if, as someone said earlier, you could do it on an equivalent month-by-month cost rather than committing to a whole 12 months at that.

@Retro_Link - re emphasis on the TV <=> handheld. I think they're taking the right approach. Don't crowd every advert, have a different focus for a different market with each. They NEED to have a good advertising presence that has the variety of ads being exposed to most people though - that's a good way to do it imo. First you like it for the 1-2 switch ad, your interest is piqued - later at home you heard the Switch noise and see an advert about handheld mode at home - BAM! Even more excited.

What about all the times I paid full retail price to download a digital copy of a game? The only online games I ever really played last gen on the WiiU were Mario Kart and Smash. I bought Smash for 45 quid, with this "service" (and I use that term very loosely) I would have had to shell out £70 to get the full featured version, for a year. And then the online functionality is snatched away until I cough up another 25 quid.

You forgot the expensive DLC characters too, especially in relative context to that online pricing ;)

Also flip the argument to apply to the first part - digital distribution costs less than retail distribution; surely that saving should go somewhere right(just as the argument online infrastructure cost should be passed onto consumer) - why aren't digital download titles cheaper than their retail counterparts as a result eh! (this one's not really a question I want a response to, btw)

profit on all this £1-2 a month gamers will be giving them?

Since when has this service been £12-24 a year? I thought the figure I've seen people mention is £25 - that's definitely outside of the range you quote if so. I hope you're right though £12-£20 should be about the limit imo. Maybe £18 for a round monthly.

Look, thanks to PS+, in a year Sony managed to make more money with PS+/PSN alone than Nintendo made in total.

To most they're offering more value with their service too, though. I don't mind the price if the service is worth it - but from what we've seen I really don't think that it is.

No, it's a dying thing if companies don't make money.

It's good to see you understand why so many of us are worried about the potentially bad decisions Nintendo make, then. The ones that cost them money, and sales...such as high prices that don't offer enough value in consumers' eyes...

tumblr_ls4cxfHfOC1qjykxzo1_400.gif

Completely not on topic but did you know they're remaking Duck Tales this year...with David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck!

EDIT: @Retro_Link - dat duck tales wii u joke. So absolutely on point. Lost my shit.

To be fair I've not got any of them @Rummy, and the convenience of trade in is why I'm doing it. No having to hassle and post etc. I am very lazy. Haha

Watching Giant Bomb play Paper Mario TTYD at the moment and it's really got me in the mood to play it again. I'd love it to be an early Switch VC game.

To be fair I've not got any of them @Rummy, and the convenience of trade in is why I'm doing it. No having to hassle and post etc. I am very lazy. Haha

Haha fair enough - tbh I'd probably be lazy myself if the money wasn't right for it! I do like the idea of currently putting some of potential switch money into getting those missed experiences, though. Even though it's a false economy as I'll probably buy them all then just not play at all >.<

Since when has this service been £12-24 a year? I thought the figure I've seen people mention is £25 - that's definitely outside of the range you quote if so.

Since always. ¥2,000-¥3,000 is £14-£21 at current exchanges rates = £1.16 - £1.75 a month.

It's good to see you understand why so many of us are worried about the potentially bad decisions Nintendo make, then. The ones that cost them money, and sales...such as high prices that don't offer enough value in consumers' eyes...

Please don't put words in my mouth and twist what I said to suit. As for high prices, the general reaction to Kimishima's comment about their online price seems very positive.

Yeah.

Metroid is a guaranteed seller.

Oh wait :p

zJlZb.gif

The mans track record is abysmal...

But he did start to win me back with his comment how when he joined at the end of the GameCube life that was obviously a failure...and now everyone wants GC VC! Can't win!!

In fairness the console may not have done well, but that doesn't mean there won't be desire for the games (in other words, no ipso facto). For one, the people with a Wii U at present are mostly Nintendo's key audience who will want those games, two they are likely to be people that were teen/young adults at the time who are now waxing nostalgic and three the console didn't do well for a variety of reasons, not bad software.

Reggie really is the Barney Rubble of the industry.

Looking at Nintendo's release strategy, I think they are looking to drip in online every 6 months or so.

MK8 Deluxe for the free "lure" period.

I suspect Splatoon for the first 6 months.

SSB4 Deluxe probably April 2018

Then I struggle to see the next online big title they have... Maybe Pokemon October 2018? :P

Mario strikers, Splatoon 3, Mario Kart 9 and SSB5 are probably in development. Who knows, maybe a Metroid federation force game? I remember thinking in metroid prime, presumably sometimes the marines succeed or at least don't fail spectacularly. It could be a good spin off at least.

If they just make a Pokémon Switch large game [like all previous regions/pokémon + a new region/new pokémon], and include an online feature, excrements will most likely end up on some sort of fan type device. In a positive way.

Ffs, im not even interested in the Switch at this point, but a Pokémon game like that would sell the system for me.

Looking at Nintendo's release strategy, I think they are looking to drip in online every 6 months or so.

MK8 Deluxe for the free "lure" period.

I suspect Splatoon for the first 6 months.

SSB4 Deluxe probably April 2018

Then I struggle to see the next online big title they have... Maybe Pokemon October 2018? :P

Mario strikers, Splatoon 3, Mario Kart 9 and SSB5 are probably in development. Who knows, maybe a Metroid federation force game? I remember thinking in metroid prime, presumably sometimes the marines succeed or at least don't fail spectacularly. It could be a good spin off at least.

Don't forget Animal Crossing. The online potential for that game is phenomenal, I'd be surprised if they'd have it out before Xmas 2017, but it would be the perfect time to drop it (along with the delayed phone app version for decoration, etc.)

I genuinely have zero excitement for it. I appreciate the hybrid nature of the device, but it doesn't excite me at all.

...but I've no excitement.

Fairs dos. Why not just wait with the purchase until Mario?