NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

That doesn't make it OK. It's just a greedy scheme that has now become the norm in console gaming because people just "had no choice".

They totally had a choice, they could have called Microsoft out on it's crap and not throw money at them.

This is why PC gaming is winning, guys! All you who are saying stuff along the lines of "That sounds like a good price" need a good slap!

I think it depends what is coming with it.

Personally I think my main gaming issue is due to my own connection (it's great a lot of the time but then randomly becomes terrible, 56k style sometimes).

I would like to say it's not worth the investment for me, but as I sank 500 hours into splatoon, I suspect that the £25 would pretty quickly pay for itself. Having said that, I think I spent all of 2 hours (at a push) online on my Wii U this year so... I will consider carefully!

If they have a £7.50 3 month subscription for example, I think I would be more likely to go for than a £25 yearly one... we'll see. It is looking unlikely I will be able to justify a Switch this year anyway so I have plenty of time to assess the facts :)

Ah but just because they were less publicly known due to limited mass communication, does that make them less bad than the ones now?

I meant the bugs were smaller and less noticeable to the individual user back then, not that they were less publicly known.

I meant the bugs were smaller and less noticeable to the individual user back then, not that they were less publicly known.

Some of them were pretty noticeable ;)

zelda-ii-i-am-error.png?w=742&h=345

Some of them were pretty noticeable ;)

zelda-ii-i-am-error.png?w=742&h=345

Except that example wasn't an error. :p It was Bagu that was translated wrong.

Except that example wasn't an error. :p It was Bagu that was translated wrong.

Human error is still an error ;)

Another new announced game for Switch...

Supposedly uses HD Rumble to let you feel how fast you're moving and what angle you're moving at. Cool :)

Online servers and infrastructure cost money to implement. You get lots of free games with PS4 and XBO and this Nintendo one is much cheaper with a (online ready) VC game or two thrown in.

Complaining about paying for online is just typical gamer entitlement, wanting and expecting the world for nothing. It's literally less than £2 per month, which is less than half the price of an NES VC game, that you get for free anyway.

Bull!

It's exactly that kind of thinking that's got us into this situation.

So why exactly do PC gamers not have to pay to play online? What makes their servers different?

You claim I'm being entitled, but when I pay 50-60 quid for a game that focuses on the online multiplayer aspect, it's kinda a big massive slap in the face to then be told, "Oh, BTW, you have to pay a monthly fee to enjoy that particular feature"

I suppose if you bought a nice shiny new bicycle and then were told that you had to pay £1.50 a month so you could use it in your local park, you'd be fine with it? Because those parks cost money to upkeep, don't they?

No, you wouldn't be fine with it. Because that's bloody stupid.

And you have to be a bit of a dope to think the "free" VC game makes it worth it. Yeah, you might have had a point if you could keep it.

Big fat shame that you only rent it. You're doing what I do to @Dcubed all the time, except you're paying for the benefit! Go you!

There's no justifying this. It's pure greed.

For £25, I dont really see the problem. Being a Norwegian coffee addict, that amount is less than a weeks worth of coffee for me. And seeing as things in this world costs money to maintain, I dont mind paying for it if I have the money to spare.

Yes, it is shitty that they charge for online, but hey, if you dont like it, it's optional. You dont play online? You dont have to pay! You want to play online with friends? Okay, pay a small amount, and you're set for a year. And the first four or so-months are free so you get to try it out. If the online structure sucks, I'm not gonna pay for it, because I don't want it. If its good or awesome, I'll gladly pay.

I'm with @Glen\-i all the way with this. What they should do is charge an extra couple of quid for their games to compensate for the cost of running servers. It's unfair that someone who owns 20 + games pays the same online cost as someone who only owns a couple of games.

But I despise the practice and no amount of "free games" will change that.

The platform holders could swallow the cost but Xbox live made a lot of money and the others followed suit.

There not going to leave all that revenue on the table. Just the way it is.

So why exactly do PC gamers not have to pay to play online? What makes their servers different?

Because if PC users suddenly got a fee for servers, they would just mod the game and find a way past it. But on a Console you're locked to that console's framework.

Because if PC users suddenly got a fee for servers, they would just mod the game and find a way past it. But on a Console you're locked to that console's framework.

I think it's more disgraceful that the same game on PC is cheaper. I see no justification to why console gamers should pay more for the same game.

I think it's more disgraceful that the same game on PC is cheaper. I see no justification to why console gamers should pay more for the same game.

Yeah, I get that. I guess it comes down to the extra development time and porting. Every game is developed on a PC from scratch, and then ported over to whatever platform it's gonna be on.

And then of course, you have the fees for launching on the platforms, which makes it even more expensive.

Launching a game on Steam or independently on PC is "free", or at least dirt cheap. So that saves a lot of bucks. I'm a PC and a Nintendo gamer, so I dont mind at all, but I get that it's irritating when you see the same game for Xbox being way cheaper on PC.

I'm with @Glen\-i all the way with this. What they should do is charge an extra couple of quid for their games to compensate for the cost of running servers. It's unfair that someone who owns 20 + games pays the same online cost as someone who only owns a couple of games.

But I despise the practice and no amount of "free games" will change that.

So then everyone pays for online through added game costs, even if they have no intention of playing online.

I suppose if you bought a nice shiny new bicycle and then were told that you had to pay £1.50 a month so you could use it in your local park, you'd be fine with it? Because those parks cost money to upkeep, don't they?

Isn't that called tax?

Bull!

It's exactly that kind of thinking that's got us into this situation.

You claim I'm being entitled, but when I pay 50-60 quid for a game that focuses on the online multiplayer aspect, it's kinda a big massive slap in the face to then be told, "Oh, BTW, you have to pay a monthly fee to enjoy that particular feature"

No, you wouldn't be fine with it. Because that's bloody stupid.

And you have to be a bit of a dope to think the "free" VC game makes it worth it. Yeah, you might have had a point if you could keep it.

Big fat shame that you only rent it. You're doing what I do to @Dcubed all the time, except you're paying for the benefit! Go you!

There's no justifying this. It's pure greed.

I know it wasn't your main point but councils do charge for those cylindrical bike storage things (Lambeth is £40 a year) and my old job charged for bike lockers (£120 a year but parking was free which was bull). Plus toll roads and the congestion charge exist which is the same principal.

28 Days Till Switch!

...and yet still no concrete info on Virtual Console, discounts for previously bought titles on VC/eShop (should be cross buy), no firm price on online subscription or the app's features.

God they need to put a Direct out asap!

I suppose if you bought a nice shiny new bicycle and then were told that you had to pay £1.50 a month so you could use it in your local park, you'd be fine with it?

The bike maker doesn't have pay to maintain the park, so no.

PCs don't make you pay for online because each game has its own server, there isn't one hardware manufacturer who has to look after the infrastructure for their entire range of games.

Games are getting bigger and more complicated to develop every generation, yet the price of games has stayed the game since the very beginning. Count yourself lucky there. Paying £1-2 a month to help fund Nintendo's online and paying £3-4 a month for PS Plus in exchange for online and a few free games is fine by me.

Wanting things for free is absolutely gamer entitlement and it's one of the biggest problems with this industry, IMO.

What they should do is charge an extra couple of quid for their games to compensate for the cost of running servers. It's unfair that someone who owns 20 + games pays the same online cost as someone who only owns a couple of games.

So charge everyone extra money even those people who have no intention of using online? You honestly think that's better?

...and yet still no concrete info on Virtual Console, discounts for previously bought titles on VC/eShop (should be cross buy), no firm price on online subscription or the app's features.

God they need to put a Direct out asap!

We still have a month. Chill :p

We still have a month. Chill :p

Can of worms.

Personally I don't think I've ever been this excited for a Nintendo console. February may be the shortest month but it'll probably feel like the longest!

Can of worms.

Personally I don't think I've ever been this excited for a Nintendo console. February may be the shortest month but it'll probably feel like the longest!

i didn't realise I was that bad! :p

Well at least yours and Serebii's positivity are actually taking their toll on me, I'll be caving and picking a Switch up. Given that I don't use my WiiU or 3DS I may as well trade them in like you said.

No doubt I'll still whinge about online, this is Nintendo after all, but maybe... just maybe, your positivity will rub off a little more and I'll not do it as much! Haha :p

You must be trading in dozens of games if you can get a Switch + Zelda for 20 quid. £300 to trade in a Wii U and 3DS??