NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It may be to discourage scalpers too. Looking at Nintendo launches there seem to be a bunch of nuts who likely would pay £500 for this. I imagine price cuts coming quickly as they get manufacturing going. When Mario comes out I think they'll slash the price (longer online subscription bundled in, maybe mario bundled in as well) so I'd imagine £230 will be the price by 2018. But we'll see. I'm glad of the blunders though, I leave the country on the 2nd so it would have been terrible if I wanted the console the next day :D

So, some things "missing" from that presentation based on leaks:

• reveal of Super Mario Rabbids RPG

• Beyond Good & Evil teaser

• word on Mother 3 (not so surprising)

• Dark Souls?

• what the heck are Retro working on?

Edited by Julius Caesar
Automerged Doublepost

So you need a phone to use voice chat?

Yeah.. and I hear that you actually have to dial a number too get through. #Voicechat80sStyle

Coffee shop Wi-Fi? For online multiplayer? Yeah, that's not happening.

See? I'm the kind of guy who only plays stuff online for about 3 days of the week. Paying for that seems like a kick in the face to me.

Yeah, I understand you. I have good internet connection, but some months I just don't play online. I'd be reluctant to pay for a service I won't use... like this month I'm not sure I've played splatoon at all. I'd probably actually be happier if they charged per hour played rather than a monthly sub. but oh well, guess it won't affect me anyway :D

Just woken up and flicked through. I think some earlier questions have been answered but @ me any you want me to try and find out. I'll check again at 8 just before I leave, after that might be best to ask through Twitter while I'm at the event.

Presser for those interested.

13th January, 2016 – Nintendo announced today that the new Nintendo Switch console will launch worldwide* on Friday 3rd March.

The package will include the main console, Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con ® controllers, a Joy-Con grip (to which two Joy-Con are attached and used as one controller), a set of Joy-Con wrist straps, a Nintendo Switch dock (which holds the main console and connects it to a TV), a HDMI cable and an AC adapter. Two stylish versions of the console will be released: a version with a set of grey Joy-Con, and a version with one neon blue and one neon red Joy-Con. The package will be priced at £279.99 on the Nintendo Official UK Store.

“Nintendo Switch is a brand-new kind of home gaming system that offers a wide variety of play modes,” said Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima. “We will introduce the world to new experiences made possible by the unique characteristics of the Nintendo Switch hardware and the Joy-Con.”

Nintendo Switch is a breakthrough home video game console. It not only connects to a TV at home, but it also instantly transforms into an on-the-go handheld using its 6.2-inch screen. For the first time, players can enjoy a full home-console experience anytime, anywhere. The screen includes capacitive multi-touch capabilities for compatible games. Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage conditions.. For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly three hours on a single charge. While away from home, Nintendo Switch can be charged by plugging the AC adapter into the console’s USB Type-C connector.

The versatile Joy-Con offer multiple surprising new ways for players to have fun. Two Joy-Con can be used independently in each hand, or together as one game controller when attached to the Joy-Con grip. They can also attach to the main console for use in handheld mode, or be shared with friends to enjoy two-player action in supported games. Each Joy-Con has a full set of buttons and can act as a standalone controller, and each includes an accelerometer and gyroscope motion sensor, making independent left and right motion control possible.

Nintendo Switch also contains a number of built-in features that make it more interactive. The left Joy-Con has a Capture Button that players can press to take instant screenshots of gameplay to share with friends on social media. The right Joy-Con includes an NFC touchpoint for interaction with amiibo figures, as well as an IR Motion Camera that can detect the distance, shape and motion of nearby objects in specially designed games. For example, it can tell how far away a player’s hand is, and even if the hand is forming a rock, paper or scissors shape. Both Joy-Con include advanced HD rumble, which can provide compatible games with subtle vibrations that are much more realistic than before. The effect is so detailed that a player could, for example, feel the vibration of individual ice cubes colliding inside a glass when shaking a Joy-Con. With HD rumble you can experience a level of realism not possible through sights and sounds alone.

Nintendo Switch makes it easy for players to stay connected. Up to 8 consoles can be connected for local wireless play. The player can place the console upright anywhere by using the built-in stand, then easily share Joy-Con for multiplayer fun away from the TV. The console will support online Wi-Fi multiplayer gaming. Nintendo also unveiled a new online subscription service that will begin with a free trial at launch. The service includes a smart-device application available in summer 2017 that will let users invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with one another as the play compatible games. The fully featured paid service will be available in autumn.

Nintendo Switch will be supported by world-class third-party publishers including Activision Publishing Inc., Electronic Arts, Take-Two Interactive, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and major Japanese publishers. Some publishers, such as Bethesda Softworks, are joining Nintendo for the first time. Players can look forward to major franchises on Nintendo Switch such as EA Sports FIFA, The Elder Scrolls, NBA 2K, Minecraft and more. Nintendo Switch software will not be region locked.

The unique capabilities of the console and Joy-Con have combined with innovations from past systems to create Nintendo’s most flexible, feature-packed video game console ever. This is demonstrated by the wide variety of unique games that were announced for launch day, the summer, and into the 2017 holiday season, from both Nintendo and its third-party partners. From the engrossing open-air experience of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to the party fun of 1-2-Switch, Nintendo Switch offers something for everyone.

Select First-Party Games

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Prepare for the biggest The Legend of Zelda adventure yet, with an open-air style that breaks new boundaries while honouring the origins of the acclaimed series. Explore a world of unprecedented size and discover more than 100 puzzle-filled shrines, plus a wide variety of weapons, outfits, and gear. Players won’t want to stop playing, and they won’t have to, since Nintendo Switch allows them to continue the adventure anywhere, anytime.

The game is compatible with the series of The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary-themed amiibo, the Wolf Link amiibo, and the new The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild amiibo. In addition to the previously announced Link (Rider), Link (Archer), and Guardian amiibo, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild range of amiibo will also include new Zelda and Bokoblin amiibo. The amiibo in this series are larger and more detailed, particularly the Guardian amiibo with its extra articulation.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will provide players with a landmark Nintendo Switch experience on the console’s launch day on 3rd March, and will be available as both a standard solus game for £59.99 on the Nintendo Official UK Store and as a Limited Edition, which contains the game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sound Selection CD and a Master Sword of Resurrection figure, for £89.99 on the Nintendo Official UK Store.

1-2-Switch: This is the first Nintendo video game in which players compete in fun activities while staring into each other’s eyes instead of at the TV screen. From Wild West gunslinging to copying each other’s dance moves, the games in 1-2-Switch make creative use of a broad variety of Nintendo Switch features to liven up parties with anyone, anywhere, at any time. 1-2-Switch will be available for £39.99 on the Nintendo Official UK Store alongside the Nintendo Switch console on its launch day on 3rd March.

ARMS: Featuring a unique multiplayer fighting sport that lets you trade blows using extendable arms, this game includes elements of both boxing and shooting games, plus an all-new cast of characters. After customising a character with a variety of arms, the player holds one Joy-Con in each hand and throws left and right punches at the opponent. Characters can jump and dash, and players can bend their punches by twisting their hands as they swing. As players learn the game and improve their skills, they will discover a deeper level of advanced tactics. Players can compete against the computer, against a friend on a split screen using a second set of Joy-Con (sold separately), against worldwide rivals online, or with two Nintendo Switch consoles over a local wireless connection. ARMS will be available this spring.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: With Nintendo Switch, fans can enjoy the definitive version of Mario Kart 8 anywhere, anytime, even with up to 8 friends in local wireless multiplayer. All your favourite tracks and characters return from the Wii U version, plus all DLC tracks and characters, and new characters join the roster, too: Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl from Splatoon, King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr.! Plus, battle Mode has been revamped and includes Balloon Battle and Bob-omb Blast, with all-new courses such as Urchin Underpass and Battle Stadium, and returning ones like (GCN) Luigi’s Mansion and (SNES) Battle Course 1. Players can now carry two items at a time, including new items returning from previous Mario Kart games such as Boo, the item-stealing ghost, and the Feather, which gives you a high jump in battle mode. Players can even choose to use a new Smart Steering feature which makes driving and staying on the track easy for novice players and kids, even at 200cc. Play in TV mode in up to 1080p. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launches on 28th April and will be available for £49.99 on the Nintendo Official UK Store.

Splatoon 2: Traditional 4-on-4 turf battles return in this full sequel to the original breakout hit game, along with new stages, new fashions and new weapons such as the two-handed Splat Dualies. Players can compete on the TV or on the go. Whether they use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller (sold separately) or Joy-Con, players can aim their ink using gyro controls. Splatoon 2 supports both local and online multiplayer matches. The game will also support voice chat using the new Nintendo Switch smart device app (a free, limited version of the app will be available this summer), and will add new stages, fashions and weapons after launch, as the original game did. Splatoon 2 is scheduled to launch this summer.

Super Mario Odyssey: This is the first sandbox game that allows Mario to fully explore his world since Super Mario 64 on Nintendo 64 and Super Mario Sunshine on Nintendo GameCube. Mario jumps out of the Mushroom Kingdom and embarks on a journey through mysterious new places and new experiences, such as sailing between worlds aboard an airship and the ability to throw Mario’s cap. Super Mario Odyssey is scheduled to launch during the 2017 holiday season.

Snipperclips – Cut it out, together!: In this creative new kind of action-puzzle game, players communicate, cooperate, and use their imagination to solve basic and advanced puzzles by cutting paper characters into new shapes. Play by yourself or with a friend in the main game, then bring in a bigger group to solve up to four-player dynamic puzzles or compete in other activities. Snipperclips – Cut it out, together! will release in March in Nintendo eShop.

£60 for the solus Zelda though...is that the most expensive Nintendo title since the N64?

Man, the inconsistent prices are going to drive people off the wall.

At a glance, seems to be:

• first party/AAA title - £59.99

• Wii U Port - £49.99

• experimental/indie games - £39.99

EDIT: expect to see some people talk about Sony/Microsoft already having online subscriptions. That's true. But theyre more powerful systems with a much, much wider array of already established games, and currently at a lower price than the Switch?

Edited by Julius Caesar

I think I'll save my money and buy zelda on Wii u. Until next time Nintendo. :(

@Ashley

Nintendo Switch software will not be region locked.

The software might be region free, but if I buy a Japanese console, will it be region free, too? That is, will it have an English display interface, access to the UK eShop, etc.?

Well...what a weird way to start the day. Seems rather oxymoronic right now.

See you all later (14:30 is it?) for the Treehouse!

EDIT: expect to see some people talk about Sony/Microsoft already having online subscriptions. That's true. But theyre more powerful systems with a much, much wider array of already established games, and currently at a lower price than the Switch?

Yep. I mean from my experience with Nintendo, i only ever play a couple of their games online over the course of their console's life span. With the Wii it was Mario Kart and with the Wii U it was Mario Kart 8 for a while then Splatoon. Nothing else.

Remains to be seen if its the same for the switch, but I've always felt Nintendo's online should be free because of how fleetingly they even take advantage of it,

@Ashley

The software might be region free, but if I buy a Japanese console, will it be region free, too? That is, will it have an English display interface, access to the UK eShop, etc.?

I've added that to the list.

That capture button is really non-descript.

Edited by Ashley

If the price is too much for you guys, why don't you import? It is Region Free

342 USD (Price plus 14% tax) = 281.203GBP

Oh...

I'm still not sure about analogue triggers...have they been confirmed?

@Serebii, the price is high everywhere. Didn't you watch the live stream? No idea why you keep talking about Brexit when that doesn't effect the JP or US price.

I'm still not sure about analogue triggers...have they been confirmed?

@Serebii, the price is high everywhere. Didn't you watch the live stream? No idea why you keep talking about Brexit when that doesn't effect the JP or US price.

Because lots of people, before now, were saying how $299 would be a solid and expected price, but now they're losing their shit. It's fucking bizarre.

Only place I understand the bitching for is UK

I don't think anyone said $299 would be good unless it included pack-in games. Which it doesn't.

Most were hoping for £250 or less with a game.

As it is, it'll cost you over £300 with one game.

I want to get Zelda for it so much, but it's a fucking lot of money when I can just get it on Wii U and wait for a price drop.

If the price is too much for you guys, why don't you import? It is Region Free

342 USD (Price plus 14% tax) = 281.203GBP

Oh...

How does it actually work though because sales tax is done by state (that 14% you quote is an average I believe) and it is calculated on Amazon (for example) based on where you're shipping, so if you're shipping to Europe...? I've had a quick look but can't find anything specific as to what % tax you would pay.

("it" being importing in this case, I know how state tax works :heh:)

Edited by Ashley

Because lots of people, before now, were saying how $299 would be a solid and expected price, but now they're losing their shit. It's fucking bizarre.

Only place I understand the bitching for is UK

$299 is pre-tax remember, so closer to $400 with a game. Do you have any evidence of the same posters who said $299 was good suddenly changing their minds? Likewise with £280 (I.e. people on this board), or are you just generalising again?

Just preordered on Amazon. I'm actually in New York on release day so theoretically could I pick one up there and as all games are open it wouldn't make a difference?

Game prices - no way will they be £60 come launch day. All other new games are £40-45 and have been forever.

Online - £10 a month someone else said is ridiculous. Xbox live has been £40 a year since 2003. I normally pay closer to £20 because of deals. Expect Nintendo to be the same.

What's this business of using an app to talk? Surely it'll be through a mic on the controller or dedicated headset? How would an app even work? Just like a speakerphone? Seems daft...

Just finished watching the presentation.... don't really know what to say about it. Couple of games that could be potentially interesting but i think I'm a lot less interested in the Switch than I was. I got a preorder from Amazon but I'm not sure I'll be keeping it.

I would be amazed if Pokemon moved to this system. I simply can't see them putting the next big Pokemon game on such an expensive console.

How does it actually work though because sales tax is done by state (that 14% you quote is an average I believe) and it is calculated on Amazon (for example) based on where you're shipping, so if you're shipping to Europe...? I've had a quick look but can't find anything specific as to what % tax you would pay.

("it" being importing in this case, I know how state tax works :heh:)

As long as it's one of the things they will ship abroad then it would be tax-free at the checkout but you'd have to pay taxes on it when it arrives - so it would actually end up even more expensive. There is a chance it would sneak through customs but I wouldn't want to risk that.

Zelda and Mario looked amazing but that presentation was not great. Serious lack of games and I am sad to say this but this is gonna bomb hard in the UK. Price is too high when you include pro controller and a game.