NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

One of the main cost factors will definitely be the joy cons and the tech that goes into them.

I just hope that they've actually got some good gameplay ideas to actually utilise them.

How does it actually work though because sales tax is done by state (that 14% you quote is an average I believe) and it is calculated on Amazon (for example) based on where you're shipping, so if you're shipping to Europe...? I've had a quick look but can't find anything specific as to what % tax you would pay.

("it" being importing in this case, I know how state tax works :heh:)

Even without sales tax y you would still need to pay vat and customs charges here on delivery. Wouldn't be worth it

If the price is too much for you guys, why don't you import? It is Region Free

342 USD (Price plus 14% tax) = 281.203GBP

Oh...

So in other words nothing to do with Brexit, just a good old-fashioned Nintendo stitch up.

Milk the Nintendo fans, then 6 months later drop the price and do an ambassador scheme and they will forget all about it. :)

Just finishing up the presentation now. I know this whole "Oh look Miyamoto is here" thing is meant to be a skit, but I can genuinely see Reggie just being so clueless about them being there :heh:

I think it will struggle here. Nintendo in the UK doesn't do well when it comes to selling consoles.

£280 for what they showed won't get the doubters to change there minds.

I don't think anyone said $299 would be good unless it included pack-in games. Which it doesn't.

Most were hoping for £250 or less with a game.

As it is, it'll cost you over £300 with one game.

I want to get Zelda for it so much, but it's a fucking lot of money when I can just get it on Wii U and wait for a price drop.

Yep...look back and people are usually saying £250 at most, but hoping for £230.

It's €349.99 on Amazon France, so I think Europe has been shafted in general when it comes to pricing.

I had time to think about the conference on my way into work and apart from Mario, Xenoblade and Zelda the thing done very little for me.

The launch line up seems very bare, the online set up is truly baffling ( even more so when you think about how its not even ready yet ) the price is way too high for the casual audience and the 3rd party support seemed to be the usual affair of a few ports of older games and promises from developers without having anything ready to bring to the table.

Speaking of 3rd parties, that EA guy just looked like he didn't want to be there. :D I noticed that they said FIFA would be custom built for the Switch. I can imagine it being gutted of many of the options and features that the other versions have.

It once again makes me question just what have Nintendo been doing all of this time? It was exactly the same with the Wii to Wii U transition. People expected that the Wii U would launch with some killer software and everything would be ready to go due to the lack of Wii games in the later years. Fast forward to today and I find history repeating itself, with the Wii U having very little software over the past 2 years and now the Switch looking rather bare at launch, both in software and features.

The whole online chat and subscription thing just seems like a right mess. Having to use another device use things like messaging, invites and chatting is nuts. Why in the blue hell can't they just do what everyone else does and put stuff like this on an OS level on the console?

There were so many questions left unanswered. How do you previously bought VC games work? Do we have to re-buy them? Can accounts be moved around freely from machine to machine? Will the VC be at launch and if so just what is available? How do the online features actually work? Are apps such as Amazon, Netflix, Sky BBC etc available?

Honestly, while I love some of their output, Nintendo just seem to frustrate the hell out of me with their baffling decisions. This is something Brian on IGN talked about just last week. Nintendo always manage to excite you but then it fades away once more and more details start to crop up. It's exactly what has happened here, at least for me.

I've still got my preorder with Shopto in but whether I will keep it is another matter, especially as the only must have software at launch seems to be Zelda, which can be played on my Wii U.

I had time to think about the conference on my way into work and apart from Mario, Xenoblade and Zelda the thing done very little for me.

The launch line up seems very bare, the online set up is truly baffling ( even more so when you think about how its not even ready yet ) the price is way too high for the casual audience and the 3rd party support seemed to be the usual affair of a few ports of older games and promises from developers without having anything ready to bring to the table.

Speaking of 3rd parties, that EA guy just looked like he didn't want to be there. :D I noticed that they said FIFA would be custom built for the Switch. I can imagine it being gutted of many of the options and features that the other versions have.

It once again makes me question just what have Nintendo been doing all of this time? It was exactly the same with the Wii to Wii U transition. People expected that the Wii U would launch with some killer software and everything would be ready to go due to the lack of Wii games in the later years. Fast forward to today and I find history repeating itself, with the Wii U having very little software over the past 2 years and now the Switch looking rather bare at launch, both in software and features.

The whole online chat and subscription thing just seems like a right mess. Having to use another device use things like messaging, invites and chatting is nuts. Why in the blue hell can't they just do what everyone else does and put stuff like this on an OS level on the console?

There were so many questions left unanswered. How do you previously bought VC games work? Do we have to re-buy them? Can accounts be moved around freely from machine to machine? Will the VC be at launch and if so just what is available? How do the online features actually work? Are apps such as Amazon, Netflix, Sky BBC etc available?

Honestly, while I love some of their output, Nintendo just seem to frustrate the hell out of me with their baffling decisions. This is something Brian on IGN talked about just last week. Nintendo always manage to excite you but then it fades away once more and more details start to crop up. It's exactly what has happened here, at least for me.

I've still got my preorder with Shopto in but whether I will keep it is another matter, especially as the only must have software at launch seems to be Zelda, which can be played on my Wii U.

Sometimes I think we share the same mind.

Agreed on all points.

Sums it up perfectly. On first impressions, I was impressed, other than the price. But really, what have they got at launch? A Wii U game, a Switch mini-game compilation that could be good, and not a lot else.

First party games currently set for 2017:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3rd 2017)

1-2 Switch (March 3rd 2017)

Snipperclips (March 2017)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 2017)

Arms (Spring 2017)

Splatoon 2 (Summer 2017)

Super Mario Odyssey (Holiday 2017)

FireEmblem Warriors (Holiday 2017)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (2017)

I'm expecting more announced by E3 such as Pokémon, but that really isn't that bad a line-up

They clearly are keeping stuff for E3 but it's gonna take work to sell this.

I think charging for online isn't a problem per say in the sense it's a revenue spinner and as long as the service provided is spot on its not an issues.

The problem Nintendo have is the games. With the other consoles you pay for online knowing you get online experiences with every game released. Nintendo may well not get those third party blockbusters

Just woke up, will catch up on the news later.

Anybody seen the price for Germany (or generally in €)? Not that I want to buy it, I'd just like to know.

One of the main cost factors will definitely be the joy cons and the tech that goes into them.

I just hope that they've actually got some good gameplay ideas to actually utilise them.

I'm really glad to see 1,2 Switch and ARMS making use of them in a fundamental way from launch/near launch. That was one thing I was really afraid that we'd lose, new kinds of games and new ways of playing.

Couldn't be happier to see the sight of them! :D

ARMS not being a launch title is a big mistake though. That's gonna really hurt its chances...

Edited by Dcubed

They clearly are keeping stuff for E3 but it's gonna take work to sell this.

I think charging for online isn't a problem per say in the sense it's a revenue spinner and as long as the service provided is spot on its not an issues.

The problem Nintendo have is the games. With the other consoles you pay for online knowing you get online experiences with every game released. Nintendo may well not get those third party blockbusters

If they feel people will be impressed with one free SNES or NES game per month they are delusional.

First party games currently set for 2017:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3rd 2017)

1-2 Switch (March 3rd 2017)

Snipperclips (March 2017)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 2017)

Arms (Spring 2017)

Splatoon 2 (Summer 2017)

Super Mario Odyssey (Holiday 2017)

FireEmblem Warriors (Holiday 2017)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (2017)

I'm expecting more announced by E3 such as Pokémon, but that really isn't that bad a line-up

There's three games on there though that I can't imagine many people really wanting but may get with bundles/a month later at CEX.

E3 should hopefully bring more though.

That EA guy looked so awkward. Looked like he didn't want to be there at all.

I didn't notice the custom version line. Considering contractually they are obligated to release at least one fifa game on all platforms I do worry what kind of fifa this will be.

So I guess it's the same in Germany.

Lol...

No. 399 in Italy.