NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I'm thinking Pokémon may be a game that they're going to exempt from the fee.

Else they done fucked up

It's gonna be hard to do that, I mean why should someone have to pay to play one game online but not the other? It will get messy if you start picking and choosing what is free and whats not.

It's gonna be hard to do that, I mean why should someone have to pay to play one game online but not the other? It will get messy if you start picking and choosing what is free and whats not.

Aren't there games on Xbox and PlayStation that can bypass it though?

Aren't there games on Xbox and PlayStation that can bypass it though?

I think MMOs and FTP get away with it because of subscriptions and microtransactions.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/13/koei-tecmo-announce-two-more-games-coming-to-the-nintendo-switch/

Alongside the much anticipated Fire Emblem Warriors, Koei Tecmo have announced they are bringing two more games to Nintendo’s upcoming console in Japan. While also announced for some other systems, both Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence and Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII are coming to the Switch. Nobunaga’s Ambition is confirmed for the Japanese launch, while Romance of the Three Kingdoms is coming sometime in March. These games likely aren’t leaving Japan, but it’s good to know the Japanese launch will have these extra games.

Zelda is £59.99, so to get a Switch & Zelda on launch day will set you back £340, ouch. This and the poor sounding online have soured things a bit, and 1/2 Switch should be a pack in title not £40!

They really better have all previous VC titles available at or very, very near to launch. And if they ask us to rebuy again AND pay for online services that would be beyond a joke, basically backed themselves into a corner where they have to offer those things now.

I was nailed on getting it at launch, now I'm considering just getting Zelda on Wii U instead.

I think that says it all really.

I'm with you man - I'm still catching up on the whole thing as I fell asleep again but the price/vagueness about online and the suggestion we have to run that through our own smart device really doesn't sell it to me.

£280 with zelda at £60 is just too hard on the consumer, especially right now. I see this ending up as another Wii U. If I had a choice between this at that price, or an alternative product - I think I'd be going for the an alternative tbh.

Have they royally fluffed communication of the online service?

one game free for a month could jsut be poor communication as PSN does that, you get one free game for a month period then a new game is out....but you keep what you download, perhaps thats the same with this

and the online chat bit could also be ambiguous, as its an app, could it be an app that is on the Switch but also can be managed from a smart phone whilst in game, like apps on the PS4?

this is Nintendo they often struggle to communicate things (i assume every press release is signed off only by upper management who want to streamline them and remove 'waffle' unfortunately leading to this) so it could be that

The alternative is that nintendo have really gone off the deepend with online: -

paid online holding online play behind a pay wall, with their version free monthly gift being a free trial and;

online chat and lobbies only accessible through an app on a smart phone, so if you haven't got smart phone you can't use them

That just cannot be true, its completely counter intuitive and cannot compete with anyone, even if they don't regard them as direct competitors, i swear this just has to be porr communications...........again!

fair play to them though 90% of it was communicated well, the concept was on point

you gotta admit that one free snes or nes game per month is pretty weak. nintendo wont even throw us a N64 or GC game!

Oh it is terrible, and only playable for one month? Ridiculous... But it if it's £10 a year it's not so bad! I think it looks bad, but without knowing the details you never know, and ultimately the problem isn't them charging, the problem is how they are doing it. I was just confused he was saying they're making a mistake by doing something he wanted them to do.

I think people are over-reacting on the free game. It's a bonus for signing up to the online service, not the selling point.

Frankly it's a SNES game you won't touch after the first day you download it anyway.

Launch lineups generally are not great but what we have we don't want to see another wii u situation. I was expecting Nintendo to try and make sure the switch busts out of the gate hard.

I think people are over-reacting on the free game. It's a bonus for signing up to the online service, not the selling point.

Frankly it's a SNES game you won't touch after the first day you download it anyway.

It's a shitty bonus

Wait, game rental? So the "free" game every month is just for that month or what?

Appears to be the case. Sounds really rubbish doesn't it. At least make them available whilst you pay the subscription.

So we are going to be paying for a service that was free beforehand of which we don't get much extra for our money.

Happy to pay but I want the extras.

Surprised you aren't agreeing with me on this...It's just not good. I'd pay for a service if it's worth it but what Nintendo are offering just isn't. Party chat through a phone, game rental for a month...What are they doing.

£280 with no game packed in, more expensive than the current systems by far. What the fuck.

No, I think I do agree with your opinions on it to be honest, I was just clarifying that you actually mean the way their online is looking is shit, rather than the charging for it.

I thin the two biggest problems are those very things, it's all too expensive, and the online potentially too gimped. It's the accessories that are the real killer I think. It may be better around the world but here (and is Europe extortionate too?) I just can't see it doing anything but absolutely bombing. I'm worried online games will be empty...

I think it's perceived to be one of the selling points, though, and that's a problem for Nintendo as that bonus sucks.

You are complaining about the price? It's cheap... in Denmark the lowest pricepoint today is the equivalent of £349 for the console alone... Zelda is £60, though, so that's the same.

I know that prices in general are higher in Denmark compared to the UK but this is ridiculous. I was prepared to throw the equivalent of £290 for it as that was the expected price but now... I'm worried.

Online Super Mario Kart though...

No, I think I do agree with your opinions on it to be honest, I was just clarifying that you actually mean the way their online is looking is shit, rather than the charging for it.

I thin the two biggest problems are those very things, it's all too expensive, and the online potentially too gimped. It's the accessories that are the real killer I think. It may be better around the world but here (and is Europe extortionate too?) I just can't see it doing anything but absolutely bombing. I'm worried online games will be empty...

this is my feelings exactly.

after the Wii U debacle I cant believe I am predicting this will bomb just as hard, could even be worse.

when poor johnny loses his joy-con controller, good luck getting parents paying them prices for replacements.

Edited by khilafah

I had time to think about the conference on my way into work and apart from Mario, Xenoblade and Zelda the thing done very little for me.

The launch line up seems very bare, the online set up is truly baffling ( even more so when you think about how its not even ready yet ) the price is way too high for the casual audience and the 3rd party support seemed to be the usual affair of a few ports of older games and promises from developers without having anything ready to bring to the table.

Speaking of 3rd parties, that EA guy just looked like he didn't want to be there. :D I noticed that they said FIFA would be custom built for the Switch. I can imagine it being gutted of many of the options and features that the other versions have.

It once again makes me question just what have Nintendo been doing all of this time? It was exactly the same with the Wii to Wii U transition. People expected that the Wii U would launch with some killer software and everything would be ready to go due to the lack of Wii games in the later years. Fast forward to today and I find history repeating itself, with the Wii U having very little software over the past 2 years and now the Switch looking rather bare at launch, both in software and features.

The whole online chat and subscription thing just seems like a right mess. Having to use another device use things like messaging, invites and chatting is nuts. Why in the blue hell can't they just do what everyone else does and put stuff like this on an OS level on the console?

There were so many questions left unanswered. How do you previously bought VC games work? Do we have to re-buy them? Can accounts be moved around freely from machine to machine? Will the VC be at launch and if so just what is available? How do the online features actually work? Are apps such as Amazon, Netflix, Sky BBC etc available?

Honestly, while I love some of their output, Nintendo just seem to frustrate the hell out of me with their baffling decisions. This is something Brian on IGN talked about just last week. Nintendo always manage to excite you but then it fades away once more and more details start to crop up. It's exactly what has happened here, at least for me.

I've still got my preorder with Shopto in but whether I will keep it is another matter, especially as the only must have software at launch seems to be Zelda, which can be played on my Wii U.

Been out of thanks since yesterday; but I'm pretty much with you on this too.

Feel rather despondent right now really. I know we expected them to fuck up, but it's still annoying when they actually do still fuck up. I feel sorry for Nintendo - they seem hugely out of touch with the West and are creating things people aren't really bothered about. Need to have more solid foundations than that imo. I'm still watching the conference but I really don't think anything else is going to change my mind(just at the 3rd parties bit).

Online SNES VC games gives me hope of one day playing multiplayer Mario Kart Super Circuit online. God damn, those mode 7 MK games are amazing.

I think it's perceived to be one of the selling points, though, and that's a problem for Nintendo as that bonus sucks.

I'm agree with Drahkon, its a selling point - you are paying for a previously free services, which now has added benefits to offset the cost. Not that i don't agree that 99% of games do not get played after the first month, its not entirely true! With the PSN i get 12 free PS4 games, 12 free PS3 Games and 12 free Vita games a year (technically more if you count cross buy) of those games there have been a few i've played to death each year and has on occasion prevented me buying the game at retail (Metal Gear Revengence, Wipeout, Uncharted, Xcom, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, etc etc)*list of EU psplus games* and to me those games offset the cost and make it like i've got free online whilst buying a game

To dismiss the entire programme as unwanted freebee's you ignore is incredibly exaggerated and completely undervalues the appeal of getting free games!

Imagine if the sub service costs £20 for the year and out of the 12 games you get, super mario world, A link to the past, and mario kart - that breaks even on the price right there

The shoulder buttons are not analogue. The back pair feel slightly, but it's certainly not GameCube.

Why do you say that though? I know things aren't ideal, but why such hyperbole? Only issue in my view is cost and maybe that weird mobile app online thing. Launch line-ups always suck

Ok let's look at Nintendo'S target audience for this.

Kids? With £330 to spend including a game? No.

So parents with a kid? Who will spend £330 on a new machine, with a game and want to play the new Zelda? Maybe, but then just pay £40 for Zelda on the Wii U which releases at the same time and will look and play in a very similar fashion.

Oh and if you have 2 kids and a wife, that's another Joycon needed, so make that £400.

People who want to game on the move? Possibly, but for £400 you can get a good spec iPad or in the family situation you can get 4 2DS all with the new Pokemon game.

Who is the target audience?! I'm so incredibly confused by this. I don't know who the switch is for.

Onto the price. It's absurd. At £200 it would sell. At £220 with 1,2 switch it might start to gain traction. £250 with an extra joy con and 1,2 switch I can see the appeal. At £200 I see it as an impulse buy, it's something you can pick up and not think to much about. At £280 I compare it to the current market. I have a phone and 2DS for mobile gaming if I want to anyway, so I look at home consoles. A PS4 500GB slim with Driveclub, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and clank is £200. Add a years online and a second controller and that's £280 maximum.

Online is the next thing. Nintendo have a bad rep when it comes to online gaming. They don't seem to "get it" and everything is convoluted. It's just not they're thing. If they wanted to test an online pay wall why not stick wifi with the NES mini and have a £6.99 monthly fee to access the whole NES catalogue.

Anyway I know I'm moaning, it's just sheer dissapointment as I was quite looking forward to a budget machine on par with the 360 power wise at a reasonable price that I could play 1st part Nintendo games on. There's no doubting that they make great games, I'm really gutted that I'll miss out on these new ones until the price matches where the market is.

Imagine if the sub service costs £20 for the year and out of the 12 games you get, super mario world, A link to the past, and mario kart - that breaks even on the price right there

We all know that won't be the case. They aren't going to do all the big games year one.

I wouldn't be surprised if the service was only around £20 for a year though. Being a paid service it should be far better than Nintendo's previous pitiful online offering. I'm happy to pay for it if they get it right.

We all know that won't be the case. They aren't going to do all the big games year one.

I wouldn't be surprised if the service was only around £20 for a year though. Being a paid service it should be far better than Nintendo's previous pitiful online offering. I'm happy to pay for it if they get it right.

Do you manually type quote or do i have split personality and i'm just finding out i'm also Jimbob?

I'm starting to think i'm right about the voice chat being OS level and the APp thing is they typical miscommunication on nintendos part

I noticed a lot of the accessories are headphones with inline remotes/mic's and when ive checked GAF i'm not the only one to notice, some have even pointed out that the English language sites label the top port as a headphone jack, but the Japanese site lists it as a headphone AND mic jack

I think Nintendo have fucked the message with online.......AGAIN!

The shoulder buttons are not analogue. The back pair feel slightly, but it's certainly not GameCube.

This is the saddest news :( I wonder how Gamecube VC will work? Presumably you'd need to buy the GC adapter and controller?