NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

If Nintendo blew their load so early, then they'd have years with nothing. People needed to be realistic with expectations

We'll have to wait and see, but the launch lineup doesn't grab me overall right now. I know launches are normally weak, but this feels to me (ie in my interests) weaker.

Luckily I've still got my WiiU in the loft for Zelda.

This kind of response is what I'm reading across various forums. Theres very little incentive for Wii U owners to upgrade at launch. High price and low key launch releases means they can sit back and wait. The biggest title is on a console they already own and the next big game is probably Splatoon, which is in the Summer.

I honestly can't see the Switch doing well at all over here, at least at launch.

This kind of response is what I'm reading across various forums. Theres very little incentive for Wii U owners to upgrade at launch. High price and low key launch releases means they can sit back and wait. The biggest title is on a console they already own and the next big game is probably Splatoon, which is in the Summer.

I honestly can't see the Switch doing well at all over here, at least at launch.

I think people should wait to see how the wii u version runs.

And if it doesn't do well at launch, won't third party support disappear and it'll end up exactly like the WiiU?

The more I'm reading and learning about the Switch the more I'm inclined to cancel my preorder and wait. And that's not like me for Ninty consoles.

But there's nothing I want for it at launch. At least I don't think there is from what was shown.

Having spent the morning since my last post reading people's thoughts and impressions and taking in the presentation again, it's seemingly going to make more sense to be one of the clever ones and hold out until end of summer when chances are it's cheaper and with more games I'm interested in.

And if it doesn't do well at launch, won't third party support disappear and it'll end up exactly like the WiiU?

Given what they've shown off today, the 3rd party support isn't looking to hot anyway.

Decided this'll be a massive success. Any big release that gets shat all over by the internet for one reason or another ALWAYS does well with the general public.

It's really too expensive. It has potential sure, but at that price? They're gonna really, really struggle...

It's really too expensive. It has potential sure, but at that price? They're gonna really, really struggle...

A lot depends on how much demand there is for a hybrid. I can imagine that a £199 device for the same power and with joycons would be a better proposition for a lot of people.

It reminds me of modern laptops which try to be tablets as well. Is there a market for that? Or do people prefer a dedicated version of each (or just one version). To people who are crying out for a hybrid, the value proposition is clear and it's a good sell, but if you're not looking for a hybrid then the price is extremely high.

Ps. Did anyone actually pre-order from Gameseek? You bastards :heh:

To be honest I was partly joking. The £280 price point is far too high.

When the GameCube was announced it was £150 but a few weeks before launch it dropped down to £130. I wish they'd do that again. Even £249 seems far more reasonable.

If it were £280 with Zelda I could handle that.

@Serebii, do you have a source for Fire Emblem Warriors now being first party and internally developed? I thought it was by the same team that did Hyrule Warriors?

It's first party funded/published, not developed so I'm counting it. Plus it's a Nintendo IP. Let's not split hairs

Ps. Did anyone actually pre-order from Gameseek? You bastards :heh:

Gameseek have confirmed they will be honoring the price as well, mad props to them.

A lot depends on how much demand there is for a hybrid. I can imagine that a £199 device for the same power and with joycons would be a better proposition for a lot of people.

It would be, but it would also be a horrific business decision.

Sales for the sake of sales is not a good thing. Nintendo can't go through years of being in the red again, especially if it gets to the high levels MS and Sony's divisions often sit at rather than the comparatively low loss Nintendo had

Timely reminder that PSN made more than all of Nintendo last year.

Let's see if Nintendo can replicate that.

I think it's the accessories which are the big kicker. And online being costly and awful could really cripple it. Ultimately, I'm excited to play it in 7 weeks.... but I'm far more negative about it than I thought I would be...

That price and launch line-up. I'm out, sorry. Whom has a 32gb internal memory these days.

Looking at what's coming the rest of the year, except Zelda (which i can get on the WiiU) there isn't anything that's interesting to me until the end of the year in Mario. I can see Nintendo doing a soft re-launch akin to the 3DS, once the software is available.

Timely reminder that PSN made more than all of Nintendo last year.

Let's see if Nintendo can replicate that.

That's why they're locking online behind a paywall, so they can get a piece of that pie :p

That price and launch line-up. I'm out, sorry. Whom has a 32gb internal memory these days.

Looking at what's coming the rest of the year, except Zelda (which i can get on the WiiU) there isn't anything that's interesting to me until the end of the year in Mario. I can see Nintendo doing a soft re-launch akin to the 3DS, once the software is available.

64gb would of been nice but don't think they could go higher. You can't put It a Hard drive in a tablet

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201701/13124782.html

NeoGeo games coming to Switch (not as VC though, but as part of Hamster's Arcade Archives series - the same one as on PS4).

I'm feeling that.

It would be, but it would also be a horrific business decision.

Sales for the sake of sales is not a good thing. Nintendo can't go through years of being in the red again, especially if it gets to the high levels MS and Sony's divisions often sit at rather than the comparatively low loss Nintendo had

I never talked about selling at a loss? I was referring to a hypothetical home console with the same power, that would be much cheaper but lacked hybrid functionality. Part of the reason why it's so expensive is the fact that it's a hybrid and therefore there's a high cost attached to the internals and manufacturing process. Hopefully there's a demand for such a device.

I've just watched the Mario trailer again. I never a change of underwear....

I never talked about selling at a loss? I was referring to a hypothetical home console with the same power, that would be much cheaper but lacked hybrid functionality. Part of the reason why it's so expensive is the fact that it's a hybrid and therefore there's a high cost attached to the internals and manufacturing process. Hopefully there's a demand for such a device.

I've just watched the Mario trailer again. I never a change of underwear....

Ah, I misread. My apologies :)

Is it right that you have to sign up to online to get access to the phone app If that's true it's hilarious. And 3rd party Devs will be put off by the lack of internal storage for updates surely?

Is there another press conference later today?

Is it right that you have to sign up to online to get access to the phone app If that's true it's hilarious. And 3rd party Devs will be put off by the lack of internal storage for updates surely?

Is there another press conference later today?

Yeah you need an app, although there's not much info on this yet.

Apparently there's a presser in the U.S but I haven't heard much on it...

ITs actually more expensive than i thought factoring in only 32GB of memory and limiting to a max of 128GB expandable, you have to consider an extra £50 a pop for a decent 128 card, even whilst cartridges will save on its usage if you wanted the same size hard drive that most other consoles launch with its a huge expense and irritatingly required swapping memory cards

extra controllers are extortionate - the pro controller should be no more than the DS4

I might have to sell one of my 3DS' to fund this or i'm out

ITs actually more expensive than i thought factoring in only 32GB of memory and limiting to a max of 128GB expandable, you have to consider an extra £50 a pop for a decent 128 card, even whilst cartridges will save on its usage if you wanted the same size hard drive that most other consoles launch with its a huge expense and irritatingly required swapping memory cards

extra controllers are extortionate - the pro controller should be no more than the DS4

I might have to sell one of my 3DS' to fund this or i'm out

Capped at 128gb?