NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Do we know for sure whether Switch is more like the X1 or X2 (I know it's custom)? From what Eurogamer was saying about (non-optimised) emulation on the X1, I honestly think GameCube games are going to be at 480p, but it's still good news.

Brilliant news that we're getting Gamecube games on Virtual Console!! The Switch is sounding more amazing with each passing week.

Baten Kaitos should get a VC release. I approve of this suggestion.

Oh man, Baten Kaitos. Amazing game with an insanely good soundtrack.

I think I still have my copy. When I'm at my mom's over Christmas I'll have a look through my games.

If I didn't already made plans for my holiday gaming I'd put it onto the list but it's easily a 50+ hour playthrough and that's not possible for me. Maybe next year.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Love the music :D :awesome:

This on the Switch VC would be awesome.

Bless you @Tphi! :heart:

This has really made my day, I mean this time had to come eventually and of course at one point I thought it might have been happening on the Wii U but it seems that purple coloured folder I had on the machine since folders were announced was destined to remain empty. :sad:

It's OK, I've since turned it into a TG-16 folder so all is well. ;)

But with the Switch being rumoured to be within decent power range then this can now finally become a reality, just imagine having all of those games playable in the palm of your hand or even better, upscaled to possibly up to 1080p on the big screen. :love:

Oh yeah and speaking of all things 1080...

picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=863

I started making up some banners when I thought of the possibility of GC games making their way to the Switch shortly after the console was announced. :D

Disclaimer - I had no knowledge of any of these rumours at all, this has just been a dream of mine for way too long now so I'm glad to see that it looks like it's hopefully finally happening. : peace:

There are others I have made but I wanted to share that one as I was reasonably pleased with the way it turned out.

Also yes I did borrow that conveniently-sized Switch icon from the forum so thanks to @RedShell for making all these new icons as they really are fantastic. :)

Regarding how VC games will translate to the Switch, while news of an upgrade fee for titles isn't great, if we are going to end up getting better emulation on the games assuming that everything is now going to be handled by NERD (Nintendo European Research & Development) who made all those lovely Nintendo Classic Mini NES games possible in addition to DS VC games then the upgrade fee might just be worth it; however I must stress that with the NNID and My Nintendo account, loyalty should be rewarded somehow as I've already bought certain NES games FOUR times over digitially now... if you count Wii, Wii U, 3DS and NES Classic, so a free download for certain titles wouldn't go amiss. ::shrug:

It's too early to say much else really but this news is certainly most promising for the future of the Virtual Console at the very least, I can only hope that Nintendo learn from some of their past mistakes though as we really need the library which we have currently on the Wii U and 3DS - up to the point of March 2017 release schedule - available immediately from launch and then carry on with the game releases from there, probably even launching the same games on Switch and Wii U in some instances where perhaps we'll get Pokémon Puzzle League for instance, standard version on Wii U, extra emulation features on Switch with cross-buy going forward?

We shall see by the time we make the Switch but some very interesting times ahead indeed. :smile:

Sorry to bring it back to the whole business of leaks/blacklisting, but this is one of the big issues with tech/consumer journalism. It can sometimes straddle a fine line between PR and actual journalism.

Tech news outlets rely on manufacturers/publishers to provide them with the products to review as they want to provide timely content to their audience, but the company like Nintendo want to control the information that gets out as much as they can, they provide their product so they can get the maximum coverage. Journalists need to get cosy with the company and their PRs to get exclusive coverage and scoops, but can sometimes get too cosy. Or, if they go off message, can be punished and have their access restricted.

With big outlets like Eurogamer, they can get away with posting leaks and such, because the PR benefit of them going to Nintendo's events and reviewing their games is too great as they have a large audience. Let's Play Video Games, however, aren't as prominent, Nintendo probably can do without their coverage, and want to discourage others from posting leaks. If they're good journalists, it won't put them off posting more leaks if they get them. But from a business perspective, they'd have to weigh up the benefit of the traffic they get from these leaks vs. not getting any review copies etc.

I commend them for posting the leaks. Journalistically, it's the right thing to do. But in the world of tech journalism, you can't realistically do so without being punished in some way unless you're too valuable to the company from a PR perspective. LPVG, unfortunately for them, aren't.

We shouldn't be paying upgrade fees again for nes, snes and N64 games; ridiculous. Unless they add some meaty meaty features. And the NES mini filters and emulation quality is not enough. It's a piss take really.

We shouldn't be paying upgrade fees again for nes, snes and N64 games; ridiculous. Unless they add some meaty meaty features. And the NES mini filters and emulation quality is not enough. It's a piss take really.

I'm struggling to keep up, what are we complaining about now? What have Nintendo done wrong now? I'd suggest waiting till their briefing when they'll hopefully announce VC plans. I'm not sure what meaty features you can add to NES games. Maybe achievements ?

If there's extra work put into the Virtual Console like there was Wii -> Wii U, I'm fine with upgrade fees.

Sony have done the same before. Why is it an issue when Nintendo do it? :p

Well it's really about screwing everyone in the purchase proposition surely? If you buy a game, you feel that you should get license to play that for a reasonable amount of time and always on their most current console. Can you imagine what Steam would be like if you lost your library if you changed PC?

Nintendo are about to do this to everyone for the second time because of their piss-poor excuse for a centralised system, which has been a concept in games since 2004 (maybe even earlier). Not to mention, do it to all of those people that actually bought the Wii U. It's hugely anti-consumer.

Justifying charging everyone again is a business decision only and a poor one. If you have the virtual console and you charge people a premium price to not go and easily pirate your entire library, the you should support them. That means updating the game to fit modern standard without charging people.

Look at Skyrim HD and how many people go that for free, look at the content that gets added to PC games. There are many more pro-consumer efforts going on there. Hell even SEGA's PC versions of the DC games are pretty damn well priced. It costs me more for a SNES game than for that! You can even look at the value that people got for the Uncharted Collection and that Sony themselves have regularly put it on sale and then compare that to releasing TP and WW remakes at the prices they did.

I'm struggling to keep up, what are we complaining about now? What have Nintendo done wrong now? I'd suggest waiting till their briefing when they'll hopefully announce VC plans. I'm not sure what meaty features you can add to NES games. Maybe achievements ?

I agree, that's why there shouldn't be an upgrade fee.

I just think in the modern age, especially when competitors don't charge, we are being asked to pay for games we bought on the wii, paid an upgrade price, and looks like we 're going to be asked again. I just think it's wrong.

And after the disastrous sales of the wii u Nintendo need to start being a little generous I feel; but they're not even being fair.

Well it's really about screwing everyone in the purchase proposition surely? If you buy a game, you feel that you should get license to play that for a reasonable amount of time and always on their most current console. Can you imagine what Steam would be like if you lost your library if you changed PC?

Nintendo are about to do this to everyone for the second time because of their piss-poor excuse for a centralised system, which has been a concept in games since 2004 (maybe even earlier). Not to mention, do it to all of those people that actually bought the Wii U. It's hugely anti-consumer.

Justifying charging everyone again is a business decision only and a poor one. If you have the virtual console and you charge people a premium price to not go and easily pirate your entire library, the you should support them. That means updating the game to fit modern standard without charging people.

Look at Skyrim HD and how many people go that for free, look at the content that gets added to PC games. There are many more pro-consumer efforts going on there. Hell even SEGA's PC versions of the DC games are pretty damn well priced. It costs me more for a SNES game than for that! You can even look at the value that people got for the Uncharted Collection and that Sony themselves have regularly put it on sale and then compare that to releasing TP and WW remakes at the prices they did.

It's a different kettle of fish though.

To get it on the Switch, they are essentially creating a new emulator for each game, tweaking it again, QA again and, most importantly, licensing again. That is costly. It's a lot different to how Steam is.

I agree, that's why there shouldn't be an upgrade fee.

I just think in the modern age, especially when competitors don't charge, we are being asked to pay for games we bought on the wii, paid an upgrade price, and looks like we 're going to be asked again. I just think it's wrong.

And after the disastrous sales of the wii u Nintendo need to start being a little generous I feel; but they're not even being fair.

They do though. Sony charge for PS2 classics from PS3 to go to PS4 and various other things too.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

I do think it's a bit of a piss take to charge again, they really need to get rid of this practice to garner back a little faith from their fanbase that have lost faith.

The problem Nintendo have is games bought on wii VC wasn't transfered to wii u or 3DS. Now we have switch and again games that one may of already purchased 3 times are going to be asked to pay again.

I get there is work needed to run on switch and there may well be improvements but it's still costs passed to the consumer when the gamer potentially has already purchased a said title 3 times already. It's pretty ridiculous.

Hope we get obscure Gamecube games like Chibi Robo, Billy Hatcher, PN03, Monkey Ball 2, Viewtiful Joe etc...

Sunshine, Mansion and Melee are all good, but I personally don't feel the need to replay them.

I'd love to play through 1080 Avalance again.

I never got Luigi's mansion, I would pick that up... sunshine and melee I can just play on my gamecube/wii so I won't bother for sure.

For me Luigi's mansion and paper mario tyd are my main wants.

I can't remember any other games that I really wanted that badly but missed out on with the GC.

Games I would double dip if they boosted them some how (multiplayer options, graphics mainly) is probably small. Mario kart dd, f-zero gx, 1080, melee. monkey ball (not sure if one or two.. probably both as one package)

But yeah, virtual GC makes the switch a lot more interesting and could break my determination to hold out till a year after launch!

I do think it's a bit of a piss take to charge again

Indeed. I paid money for Super Mario World on the Wii, then again on the Wii U and it looks like I will have to do the same for the Switch. It would be ridiculous and one of the major reasons not to get a Switch (at least not for the initial price point, @bob PRICE POINT).

Surely this is the last time and anything bought on the Switch digitally will be transferred to any future switch platforms.

Enough of this BS

It's a different kettle of fish though.

To get it on the Switch, they are essentially creating a new emulator for each game, tweaking it again, QA again and, most importantly, licensing again. That is costly. It's a lot different to how Steam is.

Yes it's a completely different kettle of fish. They are upgrading to a platform which has hugely more RAM and CPU than required in most cases. A single platform which has a fixed (mostly) hardware set, which they have a deeper understanding of than anyone and they are porting games from platforms that they have a deeper understanding of than anyone.

PC games have to deal with significant OS updates, complete changes in CPU and graphics architecture and the same game has to run on an enormous range of hardware types.

So explain to me who has the more difficult job?

Indeed. I paid money for Super Mario World on the Wii, then again on the Wii U and it looks like I will have to do the same for the Switch. It would be ridiculous and one of the major reasons not to get a Switch (at least not for the initial price point, @bob PRICE POINT).

NEVER speak to me again.

Having to pay to buy 30 year old NES games you've already bought on other consoles is a "major reason not to buy a Switch", wow. I admit it's piss poor but come on. I suppose at this point people are grasping at straws for negatives with this thing.

I only buy vc games I've not got access to... but with Nintendo's attitude the value of vc games is lowered a lot. The game is only for me, no one else. I hope at least that between switch and Wii U we will have the option of playing them on both the switch AND the Wii U. I kept my Wii library on my Wii because I didn't intend on essentially killing my Wii.

...I suppose at this point people are grasping at straws for negatives with this thing.

It's not that people are looking for negatives Ronnie, it's the worry that we're simply being given negatives by Nintendo outright, as it has been previously. It doesn't suggest they're learning from their mistakes.

We don't want it to have these issues!

Considering the shoddy state of the N64 Virtual Console on Wii U (especially highlighted by F-Zero X), I find it hard to believe any effort has been put into it. Switch versions will need to be pretty much perfect for me to pay yet again for the same game.

As for GameCube Virtual Console, I'd really like to see games like Mario Kart Double Dash and 1080 Avalanche released with the LAN mode in tact. Very unlikely though.

Kav said it right, charging again indicates that Nintendo haven't learned anything and haven't been listening to their fans. Of course there are costs involved in moving the games over to a new system, but it would be a much needed PR boost if Nintendo didn't pass those costs onto customers again.

Kav said it right, charging again indicates that Nintendo haven't learned anything and haven't been listening to their fans.

Or in reality, they've learned lots of things, and have listened to their fans about a great many things, just not in this case.

Or in reality, they've learned lots of things, and have listened to their fans about a great many things, just not in this case.

Or in the case of online with the Wii U.

Or in the case of account structure with the Wii U.

Or in the case of droughts with the Wii U and (early) 3DS.

Ultimately they do and they don't. It's a mixed bag because that's life. So for everyone that's happy with what Nintendo do, there will be someone that is unhappy with what they Nintendon't.

I think there's valid reason to be optimistic and pessimistic.

I don't see much evidence suggesting they've learned "lots of things" and that they've "listened to fans about a great many things" ::shrug:

Edited by Kav