NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

At this point I can't see how it can fail. We already know pretty much what it is and what it's main "gimmick" is. Whilst for me personally EA not supporting would be a kick in the guts, I'm still getting one. A HD portable console can surely only do 3DS numbers as a minimum.

There may be some annoyances but nothing that's a deal breaker. Battery life might not be great but USB charging means you'll be able to top up the battery pretty much anywhere. It might not have voice chat but Kav aside I can't believe many people would not buy this just for that reason.

can't wait to find out what the launch titles are and what bundles will be available.

What if you are satisfied with what you already have and don't have a want or need for it? That's pretty much where I'm at. I can imagine that this would apply for lots of other gamers, too since we're at a midpoint in this generation.

This generation's AAA scene has been a bit disappointing I feel, nothing really new or particularly memorable in the same way that last gen knocked it out of the park. I can't wait for Nintendo to get back into the game and am literally counting down the days till Switch releases, it looks and will likely be, brilliant.

What if you are satisfied with what you already have and don't have a want or need for it? That's pretty much where I'm at. I can imagine that this would apply for lots of other gamers, too since we're at a midpoint in this generation.

I'm in that camp. In fact just the other day I was wondering what games I would buy at launch as other than Zelda there is nothing I'm bothered about from what we know so far. I'm getting it purely for the portability. I sold my 3DS some time ago, so this is an upgrade to that more than anything. If they can get EA fully on board then this will become my all in one gaming unit. If not PS4 at home and Switch on the go.

You've also got it launching in what has to be one of the most packed Q1s I have ever seen. The amount of games that are getting released from Jan-Mar next year is insane.

They've got a lot to prove come January 12th.

In fact just the other day I was wondering what games I would buy at launch as other than Zelda there is nothing I'm bothered about from what we know so far.

Sorry but, what do we know so far? Confirmed (big) Switch games are Zelda and some new Mario title, that's basically it. Maybe wait till they show off the thing off, including all the new games in January before wondering what to play.

I'm in that camp. In fact just the other day I was wondering what games I would buy at launch as other than Zelda there is nothing I'm bothered about from what we know so far. I'm getting it purely for the portability. I sold my 3DS some time ago, so this is an upgrade to that more than anything. If they can get EA fully on board then this will become my all in one gaming unit. If not PS4 at home and Switch on the go.

We've hardly touched our 3DS in the past year or two, so this would definitely be an upgrade on that. Just have to hope that there are plenty of games that interest us.

*wishes for another Advance Wars*

You've also got it launching in what has to be one of the most packed Q1s I have ever seen. The amount of games that are getting released from Jan-Mar next year is insane.

They've got a lot to prove come January 12th.

It looks pretty damn crazy. Not the most ideal time to launch if too many of those games don't make it onto the Switch.

From reports the Switch's first year is going to be insanely good.

A lot of the rumoured games seem to be Wii U ports, though. Laura even said she is worried about those who had a Wii U and 3DS. I have no problem double dipping on various games but this could put some people off, especially if it's a big part of the years line up, rather than just being titles to plug the release schedule.

Still, the promise of a new 3D Mario game is very exciting. Hopefully the console will launch with that.

Half of Playstation Experience felt like ports of old games or DLC, it's where the industry seems to be these days. I doubt the Wii U ports will have taken much development time and given their big studios haven't released much in a couple of years there should be plenty of original games.

I think wii u ports can work. Many people that buy the switch won't have played these as they never had the wii u.

I think wii u ports can work. Many people that buy the switch won't have played these as they never had the wii u.

What about those who did buy the Wii U and play these games? If these titles are used as tent poles for the Switch then Nintendo could have a lot of unhappy people on their hands.

What about those who did buy the Wii U and play these games? If these titles are used as tent poles for the Switch then Nintendo could have a lot of unhappy people on their hands.

I don't think it will just be ports. The ports help to pad the library.

If Wii U games didn't make a success of the console the first time around, will they when ported? Is portability enough to make these appealing?

If Wii U games didn't make a success of the console the first time around, will they when ported? Is portability enough to make these appealing?

The games were good. Highly rated and sold very well considering the small install base. The wii u was toxic however and no games were going to save it. The ports will still sell well.

From reports the Switch's first year is going to be insanely good.

Just gonna leave this here...

Sorry but, what do we know so far? Confirmed (big) Switch games are Zelda and some new Mario title, that's basically it. Maybe wait till they show off the thing off, including all the new games in January before wondering what to play.

The games were good. Highly rated and sold very well considering the small install base. The wii u was toxic however and no games were going to save it. The ports will still sell well.

But that's just it - sold well to the small install base. Probably highly dedicated Nintendo fans.

Given a lot of the fans bought the game already on Wii U, many will not buy the same game again. So will the fact the games are now portable bring in new customers who are not such dedicated Nintendo fans, who did not buy the relatively affordable Wii U first time around to play these games?

But that's just it - sold well to the small install base. Probably highly dedicated Nintendo fans.

Given a lot of the fans bought the game already on Wii U, many will not buy the same game again. So will the fact the games are now portable bring in new customers who are not such dedicated Nintendo fans, who did not buy the relatively affordable Wii U first time around to play these games?

Who says they won't? Did people who bought uncharted games on PS3 not buy the PS4 release? Did last of us not sell on PS4. Tomb Raider pS4/xb1 etc etc. They don't need to sell gangbusters to be worthwhile.

As I said I don't think the ports alone are going to sell the switch but they will certainly help the platform having other games one can go and buy.

A platform with just wii u ports would be a problem but I don't think the switch will be that.

Wii U games were spread over a few years, Wii U was toxic very very early one, plus it didn't have a big Mario or Zelda to entice people. I think having a congested early period with the zelda/mario will convert a lot of people who didn't buy wii u. I actually think if Zelda came out on wii u a year or so ago it would have increased wii u hardware sales.

As for it launching mid gen or whatever, I don't think it'll make a difference at all to be honest. Just don't think people think in the same way anymore with regards to tech purchases, and it's all (relatively) cheaper than it used to be; gamers are now mainly adults with more money. It can also be marketing as a handheld and home console, I think there's more than enough for it to be successful.

I've also been disappointed this gen, in fact I may go as far as to say it may be the worst generation of gaming yet; the gamecube/ps2 era was my personal lowlight but that was more a little gaming boredom than anything.

Who says they won't? Did people who bought uncharted games on PS3 not buy the PS4 release? Did last of us not sell on PS4. Tomb Raider pS4/xb1 etc etc. They don't need to sell gangbusters to be worthwhile.

As I said I don't think the ports alone are going to sell the switch but they will certainly help the platform having other games one can go and buy.

A platform with just wii u ports would be a problem but I don't think the switch will be that.

Nobody says everyone who bought the games already won't buy them again. But I say many won't. Why would everyone buy the same game again with likely little graphical upgrade? Because it's portable? The gamepad was a bit portable and that wasn't enough to sell the Wii U, even when it was cheap and had all those top-rated titles.

People bought Last of Us on PS4 as it was a graphical upgrade and many people had a 360 and not a PS3 but made the switch this gen. A lot of people never had it before as they had a 360.

Regarding the NX ports - does the portability aspect suddenly make the ports shift lots of units? I can see a problem if there aren't a lot of new games of a very good quality.

Nope, the yarn store was better thanks to a bit of personality and charm. The PS4 Pro thing was a disaster.

Oh shit sorry yeah, only you can decide how I feel about things. I forgot.

The gamepad was a bit portable

You what??? The gamepad required being within proximity of mains power sockets and it's specific Wii U. I couldn't pick up the gamepad, go to the train station and continue playing the game.

And from what most on here seemed to say, we didn't seem able to leave the room the Wii U was in... so no more portable than any of the other console controllers we ever had in many cases!!!

With the Switch, I could, when I get on the train plug the switch in through USB to charge it back up... with USB charging I can see myself being able to comfortably travel with my switch and keep it charged and ready to use all the time when I travel (much as I use my 3ds at the moment)

The main issue for me personally with these ports is that while I would be willing to pay an upgrade price, equivalent to the MK8 DLC 1&2 for MK 8.5 on the switch and a few small extras (say 4 tracks, a couple of new racers, different skins for the vehicle parts... maybe some stat tracking) I would not be willing to pay the price of a full game.

I also can't see them selling the game for less than £30 to new people buying into the switch.

I don't see how they can have the middle ground? Unless they have a switch dlc option within mk8, when you purchase that on the Wii U you can d/l the game on the switch? It's the only way I can see working. Sure buying an old Wii U to get game discounts would be possible, but seeing as each Wii U is identifiable, they could restrict it to once per Wii U??

Edited by Pestneb

You what??? The gamepad required being within proximity of mains power sockets and it's specific Wii U. I couldn't pick up the gamepad, go to the train station and continue playing the game.

I thought it was pretty obvious what I was getting at by saying 'a bit portable'. It was portable enough for the people who mostly play handhelds at home (which is probably most people in this country). We're not so much like Japan.

That's why I question whether the portability aspect is enough to sell this console, if a lot of games will be ports.

We all know that I'm mostly in the Nintendo camp when it comes to games I enjoy and get excited for most but not even I'm buzzing that much about Switch from what we've seen so far. January is likely to raise my enthusiasm immeasurably but the games teased and the console aesthetics aren't getting me pumped, even if I'll undoubtedly get the Nintendo Switch.

I would certainly have went all in at launch but my acquisition of a PS4, and the unexpected positivity and joy I have going into 2017 with one (even though I haven't opened it yet) mean I could well be holding out until later in the year, if not longer, to pick one up. As it stands, I feel like I've basically got 3 solid months of PS4 gaming ahead, completely unchallenged by anything on the Nintendo front and that's a bizarre feeling having been 100% in Nintendo mode for the last quarter of this year!

I really don't see that as an issue. I've said many times we gamers are fickle - if we deem the entertainment value to be worth it we will buy it.

Im currently knees deep with Steam games and had a recent binge with Sun/Moon but I will be first in-line to get a Switch and my new Nintendo fix. In fact, I find myself preparing for March by completing games now so they're out of the way.

Oh shit sorry yeah, only you can decide how I feel about things. I forgot.

You decided the yarn store was worse than that PS4 Pro joke conference. I disagreed by stating the opposite. You became arsey. *shrugs*

If you feel a cold, emotionless presentation about vitally important gaming developments like faux-4K and deeper shades of black is better than a fun segment full of charm and personality advertising a brilliant game then that's your thing. Just don't jump down my throat for presenting an opposing view.

We all know that I'm mostly in the Nintendo camp when it comes to games I enjoy and get excited for most but not even I'm buzzing that much about Switch from what we've seen so far. January is likely to raise my enthusiasm immeasurably but the games teased and the console aesthetics aren't getting me pumped, even if I'll undoubtedly get the Nintendo Switch.

I would certainly have went all in at launch but my acquisition of a PS4, and the unexpected positivity and joy I have going into 2017 with one (even though I haven't opened it yet) mean I could well be holding out until later in the year, if not longer, to pick one up. As it stands, I feel like I've basically got 3 solid months of PS4 gaming ahead, completely unchallenged by anything on the Nintendo front and that's a bizarre feeling having been 100% in Nintendo mode for the last quarter of this year!

Not really surprising given nothing from Nintendo is out in the next three months and you've four years of PS4 games to catch up on. I imagine I'd be similarly excited if I had four years of Switch games to look forward to.

I won't be unhappy. If I don't want what Emily Rogers calls a "much better version of Mario Kart 8", I won't buy it. Easy. There'll be plenty more original games to play I'm sure. Ports and remasters are EVERYWHERE in the industry these days, we can do worse than these brilliant games being given a second life, it could be games that have no place in modern gaming like Parappa or Crash Bandicoot.

Edited by Ronnie