NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I think part of it is because people are clinging to the mindset of reveals in a pre-mainstream internet world. Nowadays, long reveal cycles are actually bad for the product.

The stuff you mention, @Ashley, doesn't require a lot of time to explain.

Its only bad for the product when you over saturate that space of time with news, ala how I'm feeling at the moment with Pokémon SunMoon, and how I felt with the latest Smash.

Cant see anything wrong with an official placeholder name revealed here and a discreet release date revealed there.

I think part of it is because people are clinging to the mindset of reveals in a pre-mainstream internet world. Nowadays, long reveal cycles are actually bad for the product.

The stuff you mention, @Ashley, doesn't require a lot of time to explain.

Doesn't require a lot of time to you because you saturate this stuff.

The average consumer is in a very different position.

Here's a few random questions I'd like you all to predict the answers to in the run up to Nintendo's presentation :smile:

1. Will the official reveal of the NX happen in September?

2. Will Nintendo NX be the final name of the product?

3. Will the RRP be above £200?

4. Will FLUDD appear in any capacity during the presentation?

5. Will the UK release date be specified for March 2017?

6. Will Breath of the Wild be confirmed as a launch title?

7. Will Nintendo reveal a game with 'Mii' in the title?

8. Will the console be shown in more than one colour?

Here's a few random questions I'd like you all to predict the answers to in the run up to Nintendo's presentation :smile:

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes, easily.

4. No

5. No, it will slip.

6. Yes

7. Yes

8. Yes but you won't be able to buy it in all of the colours shown. One, maybe two of them.

1. No, it'll be in October IMO

2. It'll be the Wii X :p

3. £229.99

4. No

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. Probably

8. No.

1. Maybe late September

2. Nope

3. Probably

4. Sadly not

5. No, it will be at best vague (and of course we won't get a bloody price :heh:)

6. Isn't it already?

7. Probably and it'll probably go on for too long

8. What Jamba said. Hopefully Spice Orange.

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Yes
  4. No
  5. No
  6. Yes
  7. Yes
  8. No

1. Yes but maybe late september after Neo/Scorpio news.

2. I wish but probably not.

3. I'd have to say sadly quite likely.

4. No, but Mario and a possibly a new gimmick will

5. Yes, aiming for WW release, but it may get delayed in territories come time.

6. I thought it was but definitely so.

7. Not yet but I think they'll talk about Miiverse.

8. Not yet, possibly down the line post release.

(EDIT: Forgot to say most of this was probably more my wishful thinking that actual predicted outcomes - they seem sensible/rational to me, but you sometimes just never know what Nintendo are going to do!)

Edited by Rummy

1. Yes, September 27th

2. No

3. £199.99 for the handheld, £249.99 with the Home Docking Station.

4. No

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. Unfortunately yes

8. Yes, Black & White

Do you have any info to back this statement up? ;)

I was tired when I posted that.. though I did sprinkle with a few "I believe" in there. It's all just how I see it having turned out. Looking at release dates the 3ds seemed more ready for a successor - it flopping a bit probably cemented that. By the time the Wii U was released, I suspect the NX concept was already quite fully developed. The Wii U floundered at the start, but with the 3ds turning things around Nintendo may have hoped to see the same for the Wii U (which may have led to the NX sremaining more handheld oriented) until it became clear the Wii U was out for the count. It maybe the only NX change is that the Wii U is the console making room for it.

100% speculation though. When did smash bros wii U/3DS release? Because I suspect the NX was quite developed at that stage....

1. I'd like to think so. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

2. Nope, it's just a codename.

3. Yes. Maybe closer to £250.

4. No, I think I've missed something here. :D

5. Yes.

6. Yes.

7. I hope not...I'm going to say no.

8. Just the one colour for now.

1. Yes, September 27th

2. No

3. £199.99 for the handheld, £249.99 with the Home Docking Station.

4. No

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. Unfortunately yes

8. Yes, Black & White

Interesting thoughts on them actually selling it as a two-piece optional! What happens if you decide post-purchase to get a dock - is it a little pricier or same price? Does it open up the future to iterative dock upgrades?

Interesting thoughts on them actually selling it as a two-piece optional! What happens if you decide post-purchase to get a dock - is it a little pricier or same price? Does it open up the future to iterative dock upgrades?

That's what I've always been thinking, that the dock could contain extra processing power and therefore be upgraded every couple of years for a fraction of the cost of buying a new console. If they do offer the opportunity to buy it bundled or on its own at launch I'd expect it to cost about £70 - £80 on its own, so slightly more expensive than buying them both together at launch if you go off lostmario's pricing.

I know what FLUDD is but I don't know why it would be in the presentation. :heh:

Because it's the last good Mario game they did.

slide_out.gif

Whats so wrong with discussing the potential quality of a future hardware release? I seriously cant get it for the life of me - When you buy new technology today you expect it to have some advancement over something you have had before or something that is already available. Why are Nintendo immune from this logic?

So the most powerful handheld of all time isn't an advancement?

Sorry Sir, I forgot the party line.

Nintendo is good. Nintendo is God.

(I'M STILL WATCHING YOU @drahkon)

How dull.how utterly dull. When did I say that? What a contribution this is. I'll tell you what, don't comment on anything I say, don't come back with a perspective of any sort. Just be a child about it...

I never said they can't be critisised. How many times do we have to go through this? People come out with the same old shit over and over again as a piss poor argument against anyone who gets slightly bored with the same crap that people spout. People slag off Nintendo all the time, I slag them off all the time, they do a hell of a lot wrong; this isn't my point at all... I presume you know this but trying to be funny, only reason can think you thought it was posting what you did; I'm simply saying, when you know perfectly well what a product is, and that product isn't for you and someone else is providing a similar product that IS for you, what is the point in constantly talking about what it isn't for you? I just don't understand it.

Why not instead tolerate other viewpoints instead of making posts like this?

If people have a negative opinion about something Nintendo related, Iet them voice it. As far as I am aware, these particular hardware rumours have not come to light before so this is new discussion; so I don't particularly see this as dull. Regardless, neither you nor any other fan on here should be calling to suppress negative discussion surrounding Nintendo. Some people expect certain hardware from Nintendo and others don't. Saying you can't believe a particular discussion is taking place just makes you sound dismissive and rude.

Just because you think some form of discussion is dull, it doesn't mean other people do. Or even that they should care if their comments entertain you or not.

I guess I meant more in the long term rather than after the initial reveal and such; as if the whole thing isn't for you or whatever. But more in the broad sense of things. As inif the whole next isn't right, the power, the concept - things that can't be changed. Obviously if the UI is cack, certain games look great/awful and such; I didn't mean to imply any negative comments as like I said above, I have numerous issues withnintendo and what they are doing. But what's the point in constantly ripping into the fact that it's a hyrbid and that means a gimped home console, or about its power and such?whatever it is, it is.

Funny thing is that, as someone pointed on GAF, an iPad with Retina display isn't that much higher a DPI as the proposed screen, yet nobody trashes iPad displays.

Also,most Wii u games are 720p. Mario kart is most as good looking as most ps4 games, that's 720p,Mario 3D world... Well most games are 720p. They look amazing on my 55" tele. So I think on a 6.2" screen it'll look amazing.

Your right, it's not like anyone ever went into the PS4 thread and said they didn't like the UI because they couldn't sort stuff into folders. :rolleyes:

But that can change, and it has. And I'm pretty sure other people brought it up in reference to me talking about it in the past more than I did. It became more of a joke.

Like I said above and maybe I wasn't clear on this, but I mean what can't be changed. As I what's the point in having endless debates about how low powered the nx is once it's announced as an example.

I also think some of Ashley's points about messaging is potentially problematic.

- I think exactly how the hyrbid stuff works and the benefits and such isn't that simple - especially if there is a difference when it's docked.

- these controllers don't sound simple to explain. Is there another controller for tv play?

- what bout storage? Is there a hardrive onthe dock? How do you transfer software to handheld unit if so?

- are the games different at all between each one? Surely there has to be some software that shows off the

- what about online services and UI? Vc and Eshop?

- the games

_ any other gimmick and such.

Probably more, but it's a lot and some of it isn't simple.

4. No, I think I've missed something here. :D

Haha.. you haven't missed anything :heh: I would probably included even more random questions earlier had my lunch break not been coming to an end :hehe:

It's unsurprising that everyone so far has said 'no' to FLUDD appearing but I'm going to buck the trend and say that it will appear somewhere during the presentation :grin:

I feel like there are several opportunities for FLUDD to be visible, actually, as it could appear in footage of a potential Super Smash Bros port, as part of a montage of clips highlighting Gamecube titles as part of the Virtual Console or even Super Mario Sunshine HD, which is less likely :indeed:

I'm gonna stick my neck out, though, and say that FLUDD will appear as an occasional power up in the next 3D Mario title, available during certain stages or missions.

How dull.how utterly dull. When did I say that? What a contribution this is. I'll tell you what, don't comment on anything I say, don't come back with a perspective of any sort. Just be a child about it...

I never said they can't be critisised. How many times do we have to go through this? People come out with the same old shit over and over again as a piss poor argument against anyone who gets slightly bored with the same crap that people spout. People slag off Nintendo all the time, I slag them off all the time, they do a hell of a lot wrong;

Dull is right. Would I be right in thinking a lot of Nintendo fans don't seem to post on this board anymore? The instant there's any defence of Nintendo you get shouted down with snide remarks like Rummy's.

Dull is right. Would I be right in thinking a lot of Nintendo fans don't seem to post on this board anymore? The instant there's any defence of Nintendo you get shouted down with snide remarks like Rummy's.

1) We're all Nintendo fans.

2) I posted a thread where we got to express our love for Nintendo's franchises and it seemed to get engagement by a group of people (not all but hey ho). Maybe starting a thread and trying to encourage conversation is better than trying to shut any down?

It's a problem both ways, you criticise and are met with snide comments too.

The fact we're all on here says something in regards to us being Nintendo fans though @Ronnie. I love their games but feel let down with decisions they make with regards to some of them and with regards to their hardware for not enabling us Nintendo fans, and my friends, to game online together socially.

As a life-long Nintendo fan, I feel I've every right to talk about this on a discussion forum. I feel Nintendo aren't catering to all those that have stood by them all this time.

It's why, barring the Wii, their sales have dropped with each gen.

So the most powerful handheld of all time isn't an advancement?

Well, technically it is - but 'the most powerful handheld of all time' isn't saying much if it isn't displaying visuals in 2017 at a standard we've been accustomed to since about 2010.

Well, technically it is - but 'the most powerful handheld of all time' isn't saying much if it isn't displaying visuals in 2017 at a standard we've been accustomed to since about 2010.

Battery life and price.

Nintendo don't care about having the latest super duper tech, they just make great games for as many people as possible. A great game is a great game, regardless of whether it's 720p or 1080p.