NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

WiiSports was 10 years ago now. Nintendo didn't really follow up from that and we haven't had a massive amount of games since or in recent years that really warrant these multiple control schemes. I can just see this being another control scheme thrown into the mix that could potentially make things even more confusing.

Simplicity is under-rated.

From what I read it is incorporated in the controller. Like having 2 analogue sticks instead of two, or 4 buttons instead of 2... etc.

But yes, if I have a controller I want it to work. let pro controllers work with it, maybe even gc controllers with the smash bros usb adapter, but just have it on the quiet.

and only if it is simple.. like gc and pro controller both have basically the same buttons.... just a few issues with the shoulder buttons, but using l1/l2 and analogue/digital click on the gc shoulder for example should mitigate a few of those problems.

WiiSports was 10 years ago now. Nintendo didn't really follow up from that and we haven't had a massive amount of games since or in recent years that really warrant these multiple control schemes. I can just see this being another control scheme thrown into the mix that could potentially make things even more confusing.

I just don't want people to think a new platform is again linked to wii.. Once people think it's another wii iteration the problem starts.

The marketing and promotion needs to be completely born again with no wii insight. I really hope when they unveil this device they make no mention of wii. It was fun why it lasted but it's time to move on.

Confusion is definitely the last thing we need and I'm the first to complain about the ridiculous amount of configurations on Wii U and the limited compatibility of the options available. Additionally, the constant swapping between the Wii U Gamepad and Wii Remotes in games like Nintendo Land and Wii Party U, particularly in multiplayer, remains one of my main complaints with the Wii U.

However, the fact that the NX controller may provide the options to create whichever type of game the developers wish can only be a good thing :smile: I know you say Wii Sports wasn't really expanded on, much like many of the ideas Nintendo throw at us, but regardless of whether you enjoy the motion control possibilites or not, having that functionality in the NX controller at the very least would simplify the inclusion of Wii titles on the Virtual Console without needing to have any other previous controllers laying around :smile:

I'm definitely not as burnt out on motion control as many of you which is why it becomes so frustrating to see it shunned by the masses to the point where it feels like we can't have great motion controlled games any more :sad:

I'd snap your hand off for a Wii 2 :heh:

Motion controls elevated some games to a new level and it would be a shame to lose them. It speaks volumes about EA that when they relaunched PGA they dropped motion controls.

About the game pad and the resolution. I've played it again yesterday and I really think that I will be very happy with 720p. I would prefer that the extra battery consumption goes to a bit more power, so we can see more details.

What's the latest/up and coming in battery tech? Is it possible that NX might even use a new form?

I didn't know what was and wasn't feasible presently and for future, but had a quick google and have ended up nerding out a little bit over an article about various recent innovations in battery tech - maybe others will enjoy too: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

For me, a 720p screen would be great. The Vita screen is 540p, isn't it? I was hoping that Nintendo's next handheld would at least match that, so the news that the NX could possibly be 720p is music to my ears.

Like a few on here, I use the Wii U gamepad most of the time when I play and the resolution is absolutely fine. While the colors are a little muted, it's not a deal breaker, at least not for me. :)

Every day I log thinking surely Nintendo has made an NX announcement, it beggars belief that they are so tight lipped so late in the day. There are rumours that it's being announced in September at this rate they'll be announcing the press conference the day before it happens.

I remember reading on GAF that it would likely be a 540p screen. This was due to the fact as it would be much easier to upscale to 1080p on the TV screen. Personally, on a say six-inch screen, I really don't think we'd see much difference between 720p and 540p, and if 540p would mean better battery life, cheaper / easier development then I think it would be much more sensible that going for 720p.

There are rumours that it's being announced in September..

Did these 'rumours' actually come from anywhere, though..? ::shrug:

I thought a September unveiling was only 'rumoured' because people think that it seems like a sensible time to finally get some information out there. Nintendo haven't given any indication, as far as I'm aware, so we're all still completely in the dark!

I'm just looking forward to waking up some day and having a date locked in :hehe:

Every day I log thinking surely Nintendo has made an NX announcement, it beggars belief that they are so tight lipped so late in the day. There are rumours that it's being announced in September at this rate they'll be announcing the press conference the day before it happens.

I do think they need to announce it at a show or something for hands on from other media(and preferably sooner rather than later); but I also think it'd be really nice if they have a surprise Direct at the same time to bring it to people at home as best they can in addition to it - just builds up the interest a bit more imo.

I remember reading on GAF that it would likely be a 540p screen. This was due to the fact as it would be much easier to upscale to 1080p on the TV screen. Personally, on a say six-inch screen, I really don't think we'd see much difference between 720p and 540p, and if 540p would mean better battery life, cheaper / easier development then I think it would be much more sensible that going for 720p.

Somewhat related - with the 7 inch Nexus 7 which had a 1080p screen I saw a very big difference over the old 2012 model which was just above 720p; even on that screen size.

Remember that phones have been doing way above 720p/540p for over 5 years now so there's no excuse why they can't go considerably higher and still have a decent battery life.

Edited by Sheikah

I cannot believe people are arguing over dpi and that a 720p screen isn't good enough. Oh boy... I really can't wait for nintendo to announce this thing, and the people who don't like what they announce don't comment on it; don't quite understand the obsession with posting so much about something you hate. I don't go in the no man sky thread and talk about how it isn't for me and I wish it was something different, I hope others do the same with whatever the nx is. It's so dull.

Personally I'm fine with all this, personally I still love pointer/gyro controls - with Pikmin 4 coming to NX (presumably) the idea of using the wii remote replacements sounds a great way to distance itself from needing the wii controllers. I also like the idea of being able to use wii controllers for convenience, but I almost think they should never advertise the fact.

I cannot believe people are arguing over dpi and that a 720p screen isn't good enough. Oh boy... I really can't wait for nintendo to announce this thing, and the people who don't like what they announce don't comment on it; don't quite understand the obsession with posting so much about something you hate. I don't go in the no man sky thread and talk about how it isn't for me and I wish it was something different, I hope others do the same with whatever the nx is. It's so dull.

Well the problem with that comparison is we currently have nothing to hate. It's all speculation and until something fills the information void we're all going to be sat around talking about what would/wouldn't appeal to us and what we think will be best.

Whats so wrong with discussing the potential quality of a future hardware release? I seriously cant get it for the life of me - When you buy new technology today you expect it to have some advancement over something you have had before or something that is already available. Why are Nintendo immune from this logic?

Edited by King_V

Personally I'm fine with all this, personally I still love pointer/gyro controls - with Pikmin 4 coming to NX (presumably) the idea of using the wii remote replacements sounds a great way to distance itself from needing the wii controllers. I also like the idea of being able to use wii controllers for convenience, but I almost think they should never advertise the fact.

Sorry Sir, I forgot the party line.

Nintendo is good. Nintendo is God.

(I'M STILL WATCHING YOU @drahkon)

(I'M STILL WATCHING YOU @drahkon)

There was not a lot to watch here, then :p I've been avoiding posting in this thread for obvious reasons.

I might post my thoughts about NX in the Other WiiU Thread (maybe create "The Other NX Thread"?), though. But who knows. ::shrug:

It has been 530 days since we first heard about the NX.

If it launches on the last possible day in March, we're 215 days from launch.

So that's 745 days from first mention to launch and assuming we don't hear anything in the next few weeks we'll have only seen the console for 25% of its time from announcement until launch.

Just random stats for an article I've just finished up.

(yes I'm taking "announcement" as its first mentioned even if it wasn't a big song and dance and no I can't be bothered to do it for the others).

Edited by Ashley

There was not a lot to watch here, then :p I've been avoiding posting in this thread for obvious reasons.

I might post my thoughts about NX in the Other WiiU Thread (maybe create "The Other NX Thread"?), though. But who knows. ::shrug:

If that means a more level-headed discussion, I'll be there.

Oh boy... I really can't wait for nintendo to announce this thing, and the people who don't like what they announce don't comment on it; don't quite understand the obsession with posting so much about something you hate. I don't go in the no man sky thread and talk about how it isn't for me and I wish it was something different, I hope others do the same with whatever the nx is. It's so dull

Why not instead tolerate other viewpoints instead of making posts like this?

If people have a negative opinion about something Nintendo related, Iet them voice it. As far as I am aware, these particular hardware rumours have not come to light before so this is new discussion; so I don't particularly see this as dull. Regardless, neither you nor any other fan on here should be calling to suppress negative discussion surrounding Nintendo. Some people expect certain hardware from Nintendo and others don't. Saying you can't believe a particular discussion is taking place just makes you sound dismissive and rude.

Just because you think some form of discussion is dull, it doesn't mean other people do. Or even that they should care if their comments entertain you or not.

Edited by Sheikah

Hmm. Ok. I can see this potentially getting a bit messy/heated on the present situation.

Let's try to keep it NX/system related - yes there are issues and certain people don't necessarily mesh with other people - but let's not get to a point of telling people what they can or cannot talk about(not a new issue, either). Can't understand why people post what they do? That's fine, that's you - but let it be posted and move on past it. Can't stand someone's posts? Add them to your ignore list and if they provoke you intentionally after that then raise it with us.

No debate or discussion is ever going to be one-sided really - it defeats its nature. To expect that is foolish. I realise all of this isn't helped by the limited amount of information we actually have on the NX as Ashley mentions - but please let's just try to remember that everyone's opinion should be equally valid and they should be allowed to express it.

Edited by Rummy

Funny thing is that, as someone pointed on GAF, an iPad with Retina display isn't that much higher a DPI as the proposed screen, yet nobody trashes iPad displays.

Funny thing is that, as someone pointed on GAF, an iPad with Retina display isn't that much higher a DPI as the proposed screen, yet nobody trashes iPad displays.

I trash iPads generally, does that count?