NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Motion control is being doubled down on across the industry due to VR though.

Just because Nintendo will have it as an option doesn't mean it's bad. Don't fret, it won't be mandatory for all games.

I would only want to see it mandatory for Wii games.

No NX game should have required motion controls. If this is a handheld I don't see how motion controls would be a thing.

I would only want to see it mandatory for Wii games.

No NX game should have required motion controls. If this is a handheld I don't see how motion controls would be a thing.

I get the sense it will more be motion controls like 'Splatoon' rather than waggle games, not replacing standard controls but augmenting them to add more options and precision. From what I've seen of 'Zelda BOTW' it makes use of the gamepads gyro controls to manipulate objects so the NX has to at least feature gyro based motion controls.

It would have been a huge shock for the NX not to feature motion controls as its industry standard these days but unfortunately people have the perception that anything motion based is instantly going to be like the Wii and so fly off the handle.

New stuff from Emily Rogers:

1) This article about NX's detachable controllers supporting force feedback and motion controls has truth.

2) NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger / smaller than prototype.

3) Prototype for dock station has USB ports. I heard 2 usb ports, but I don't know if this number will change in the final product.

4) MCV's report about GameFreak being involved with NX has some truth to it.

Edited by liger05

I'm intrigued to try out motion controls with VR, but with games like Mario Kart/Zelda I'm totally not up for it.

I haven't played a "traditional" game where motion controls added anything in a long time.

2) NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger / smaller than prototype

It better be crisper than that as that's a pretty shite spec screen (237 DPI). For reference, the budget Nexus 4 phone released 4 years ago had a 320 DPI screen.

Nintendo again risk making tech outdated way before its time if they go down the ultra cheap route. People nowadays are used to 500+ DPI screens so such poor screens will look jarring. I literally never use the gamepad as a screen for the reason that games look utterly gash on it.

Edited by Sheikah

It better be crisper than that as that's a pretty shite spec screen (237 DPI). For reference, the budget Nexus 4 phone released 4 years ago had a 320 DPI screen.

Nintendo again risk making tech outdated way before its time if they go down the ultra cheap route. People nowadays are used to 500+ DPI screens so such poor screens will look jarring. I literally never use the gamepad as a screen for the reason that games look utterly gash on it.

Wow. I mean, I guess fuck me for using my 1080p 50" plasma. That 45 DPI is just far too shit.

DPI doesn't mean shit. It's marketing bullshit. The higher the resolution the better without a doubt, but DPI doesn't mean jack unless you're a pixel counting jackass.

Wow. I mean, I guess fuck me for using my 1080p 50" plasma. That 45 DPI is just far too shit.

DPI doesn't mean shit. It's marketing bullshit. The higher the resolution the better without a doubt, but DPI doesn't mean jack unless you're a pixel counting jackass.

Yeah because you play whilst sat 45 centimetres away from your 50" tv...

A 6.2 inch screen at 720 might just about be okay, it's better than the game pad I suppose which did look pretty shit.

Just because controllers have motion sensing doesn't mean they're going to base their entire philosophy on it. I would hope that in 2016 game controllers from a major player like Nintendo has some form of gyroscope in them.

As long as it's a decent IPS or oled screen it should be fine.

I'm more interested in how a 6.2 inch device would look. That's the same as the gamepad and the NX needs to look a lot more slick and premium than that.

I'm hoping they have taken it down to more like 5.7 inch screen.

I'm personally over gyro but if its optional than I don't give a patoot.

Samsung are about to release a phone with a 4K screen; the specs war, it's all bullshit. High DPI isn't the be all and end all and it's simply a case of a tech company running out of ideas.

Battery life and price are what's important, as the Gameboy proved back in the day. The 3DS outsold the high-tech Vita by five times with a piss poor screen. The Wii won last gen with standard def gaming.

It isn't the be all and end all, but it's an interesting (and annoying) aspect of marketing. I hate things like the "lightning connector" and all that patently bullshit marketing but it seems to work. Look at the success of the phrase "retina".

Nintendo can make a console that is loved in spite of the screen being worse than many contemporary mobile phones, but then it presents itself with a challenge of how it sells (or defends) that if and when questioned. It's not the end, but it's putting themselves on the back foot and hopefully they will be able to successfully market its other aspects that it doesn't become an unnecessary burden to their success.

Samsung are about to release a phone with a 4K screen; the specs war, it's all bullshit. High DPI isn't the be all and end all and it's simply a case of a tech company running out of ideas.

Battery life and price are what's important, as the Gameboy proved back in the day. The 3DS outsold the high-tech Vita by five times with a piss poor screen. The Wii won last gen with standard def gaming.

Well there is actually a reason for a rumoured 4k S8. That reason being VR.

Isn't 6,2 inch the size of the game pad? If it is, I would be very happy with 720p as the games look quite nice on the game pad, but with 720p it would even improe.

Of course DPI means shit! The reason your plasma is so low DPI is because you sit a mile away from it!!

For a device right in front of your nose it it immediately noticeable if you roll back to something so low DPI. In fact, I just came back from holiday where I used my old Nexus 4 (hence me mentioning it) since for some reason my LG G4 would not work with the 3 sim I got that has data I can use abroad.

After just getting back from holiday it is night and day after switching back to my LG G4. Absolutely night and day - so to argue that DPI means nothing is just crazy.

I'm genuinely shocked that you think you'd have to be a 'pixel counting jackass' to notice this, and that it's 'marketing bullshit'. Have you ever looked at the screen of an old phone and a relatively new one? Honestly one of the strangest posts I have seen on the forum in a whole - made stranger still by the people thanking you!

Beyond a certain point you could argue it's bullshit and diminishing returns to keep pushing resolution. But they are by no means anywhere near that point with the spec listed.

Having used a 320 DPI screen phone on holiday for the last week and a half or so and it is very clearly noticeable when I go back to my LG G4 which is over 500 DPI. So to have a device coming next year that is considerably lower than the 2012 phone seems odd to me.

As I say, consumers today are used to their phones and for the NX to be so low, I feel it would again create the impression of a cheap product like how the gamepad felt. I hope they improve this because it surely can't be that expensive to aim higher.

Edited by Sheikah

The GamePad is indeed 6.2 inches.

Great, so difference should be noticeable : peace:

Of course DPI means shit! The reason your plasma is so low DPI is because you sit a mile away from it!!

For a device right in front of your nose it it immediately noticeable if you roll back to something so low DPI. In fact, I just came back from holiday where I used my old Nexus 4 (hence me mentioning it) since for some reason my LG G4 would not work with the 3 sim I got that has data I can use abroad.

After just getting back from holiday it is night and day after switching back to my LG G4. Absolutely night and day - so to argue that DPI means nothing is just crazy.

I'm genuinely shocked that you think you'd have to be a 'pixel counting jackass' to notice this, and that it's 'marketing bullshit'. Have you ever looked at the screen of an old phone and a relatively new one? Honestly one of the strangest posts I have seen on the forum in a whole - made stranger still by the people thanking you!

Beyond a certain point you could argue it's bullshit and diminishing returns to keep pushing resolution. But they are by no means anywhere near that point with the spec listed.

Having used a 320 DPI screen phone on holiday for the last week and a half or so and it is very clearly noticeable when I go back to my LG G4 which is over 500 DPI. So to have a device coming next year that is considerably lower than the 2012 phone seems odd to me.

As I say, consumers today are used to their phones and for the NX to be so low, I feel it would again create the impression of a cheap product like how the gamepad felt. I hope they improve this because it surely can't be that expensive to aim higher.

It's not just about expense. It's battery life and heat management. Do Phones even render games at native resolution? Also remember phones are not game consoles where one plays intensive games for hours at a time.

I think people coming from a 3DS 240p screen to a Nintendo handheld with a 720p screen would be pretty damn happy.

I have an S7 and an iPad 2 so am used to a high resolution screens but a 720p 6 inch handheld gaming device really doesn't put me off. It's important they don't cheapen out on a LCD screen.

I realise that there is battery and expense to consider, but like I mentioned, the budget 2012 Nexus 4 was doing 320 DPI with rather good battery life. By today's standards, I don't see why they couldn't at least achieve the same DPI but with an even lower power consumption due to more efficient components. We can hope that those spec have been updated I guess.

Another thing to mention is that this will come out in 2017 and will probably be expected to last another 5-6 years. So we could be into the 2020s and still looking at this screen. I think Nintendo would do well to up their game and not aim so low, if they want to give the machine legs and not continue their reputation of delivering low spec machines.

Edited by Sheikah

I thought that games looked great on the Gamepad and played almost exclusively on it... am I half blind to have thought this? ::shrug:

They've always looked a bit washed out to me so I tended to play on the TV.

They've always looked a bit washed out to me so I tended to play on the TV.

That's the only thing I really noticed, that the colours look a little washed out. Still looked great to me though.

I thought that games looked great on the Gamepad and played almost exclusively on it... am I half blind to have thought this? ::shrug:

Surely you noticed the difference between the gamepad and TV?

I don't understand why people would be pro Nintendo not aiming for the best tech possible. Doesn't make sense. As a consumer I will want to pay top dollar for the best and up-to-date technologies - not because I'm a pompous prat with an inferiority complex - but because I want to experience the best visuals, sound etc from my ENTERTAINMENT systems.

Of course all within reason of battery life, price and heat etc but you get the jist. I'm really put off by this "its good enough" mantra Nintendo has recently. Why not aim higher?

I realise that there is battery and expense to consider, but like I mentioned, the budget 2012 Nexus 4 was doing 320 DPI with rather good battery life. By today's standards, I don't see why they couldn't at least achieve the same DPI but with an even lower power consumption due to more efficient components. We can hope that those spec have been updated I guess.

Another thing to mention is that this will come out in 2017 and will probably be expected to last another 5-6 years. So we could be into the 2020s and still looking at this screen. I think Nintendo would do well to up their game and not aim so low, if they want to give the machine legs and not continue their reputation of delivering low spec machines.

But the rumoured specs suggest it's not low spec. For a handheld it sounds like it will be a very capable machine.

I suppose we're back to my earlier point about you'd be disappointed if you were expecting a home console, but pleased if you were expecting a handheld one.

All in all... Nintendo just show the bloody thing already!