NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I wonder how all of this speculation around the NX will ultimately affect the actual reveal..?

On the one hand, we've got something of an idea of what form the console will take. That, however, leaves us dreaming of what could be yet those expectations may not be realised when we finally see the NX, perhaps leading to more disappointment than may otherwise have been the case.

Conversely, those who are less enthusiastic about the content of recent leaks may end up pleasantly surprised :smile:

I can't wait to find out what the NX is but I often wonder if the secrecy really works. When Nintendo reveal information to third parties, surely some of that gets passed onto Sony and Microsoft through their contacts with these companies!

A quick general comparison;

[email protected]" 236 DPI

PS Vita 960x540@5" 220 DPI

Surface Pro 3 2160x1440@12" 216 DPI

Wii U gamepad [email protected]" 158 DPI

iPhone 6s [email protected]" 326 DPI

[email protected]" 177 DPI

More equals better than as always, but as a regular user of all of these (existing) displays, they're all adequate for their given resolution and screen size in my opinion. What's far more important is that Nintendo uses a panel that isn't pure shit.

I wonder how all of this speculation around the NX will ultimately affect the actual reveal..?

On the one hand, we've got something of an idea of what form the console will take. That, however, leaves us dreaming of what could be yet those expectations may not be realised when we finally see the NX, perhaps leading to more disappointment than may otherwise have been the case.

Conversely, those who are less enthusiastic about the content of recent leaks may end up pleasantly surprised :smile:

I can't wait to find out what the NX is but I often wonder if the secrecy really works. When Nintendo reveal information to third parties, surely some of that gets passed onto Sony and Microsoft through their contacts with these companies!

TBH I'm not too caught up on what the actual hardware is - Nintendo have always been capable in creating a console and environment that suits their needs.

Its the software library and infrastructure I'm more anxious about. Will they enhance the online experience? Will they partner with key third parties? Will droughts really be a thing of the past?

Nintendo's old fashioned Top Secret approach doesn't help either.

A quick general comparison;

[email protected]" 236 DPI

PS Vita 960x540@5" 220 DPI

Surface Pro 3 2160x1440@12" 216 DPI

Wii U gamepad [email protected]" 158 DPI

iPhone 6s [email protected]" 326 DPI

[email protected]" 177 DPI

More equals better than as always, but as a regular user of all of these (existing) displays, they're all adequate for their given resolution and screen size in my opinion. What's far more important is that Nintendo uses a panel that isn't pure shit.

Nintendo's next device needs to be more than adequate right now though, given their need to sell the device into the 2020s. They could also really do with shaking off the annoying impression that they are always a generation behind.

And really, a screen that is just on par with the 2011 Vita is not very impressive - they could do much better!

Edited by Sheikah

I cannot believe people are arguing over dpi and that a 720p screen isn't good enough. Oh boy... I really can't wait for nintendo to announce this thing, and the people who don't like what they announce don't comment on it; don't quite understand the obsession with posting so much about something you hate. I don't go in the no man sky thread and talk about how it isn't for me and I wish it was something different, I hope others do the same with whatever the nx is. It's so dull.

Personally I'm fine with all this, personally I still love pointer/gyro controls - with Pikmin 4 coming to NX (presumably) the idea of using the wii remote replacements sounds a great way to distance itself from needing the wii controllers. I also like the idea of being able to use wii controllers for convenience, but I almost think they should never advertise the fact.

Your right, it's not like anyone ever went into the PS4 thread and said they didn't like the UI because they couldn't sort stuff into folders. :rolleyes:

Nintendo's next device needs to be more than adequate right now though, given their need to sell the device into the 2020s. They could also really do with shaking off the annoying impression that they are always a generation behind.

And really, a screen that is just on par with the 2011 Vita is not very impressive - they could do much better!

I agree, they need something with longevity. For too long now it's felt like catch-up. Anything less than 720p is too small, anything less than a high quality fast refresh IPS panel is unacceptable. Ideally a OLED would be fantastic (though apparently they can have burn in issues) LED would also be great.

Reading a bit one prices, the screen wouldn't be cheap perse but aren't prohibitively expensive. To replace an LG G4 LCD it runs about $60. I'm sure a manufacturer buying in bulk would have a much lower price. Nintendo has no real excuse except battery life. (I don't find phones directly compatible with a gaming handheld in that regard unless the phone life was take exclusively during intense games.) but a Wii U type situation of just having to power a display...no excuse.

Every day I log thinking surely Nintendo has made an NX announcement, it beggars belief that they are so tight lipped so late in the day. There are rumours that it's being announced in September at this rate they'll be announcing the press conference the day before it happens.

Can we get something straight please...

The PS4 was announced in Feb 2013 but only properly shown in June. Time between reveal and release: 9 months or (5 months).

The Xbox One was revealed in May 2013 and released in November: a 6 month gap.

The NX is releasing in March. A September reveal also means 6 months. The same as Xbox and similar to PS4.

There's nothing strange, surprising, or maddening about Nintendo being tight-lipped. If they don't reveal it in September, then feel free to moan.

A dedicated handheld more powerful than the Wii U is not a generation behind.

How powerful does one want a handheld to be?

I'm not quite sure I agree that 'power' (polygons/processing) is the only factor to consider when judging the spec of the machine.

When the Wii wasn't HD, didn't that factor into the mindset that is was old tech/last gen? It's the same thing here - 720p was the reserve of the 360 and PS3.

But all rumours are pointing towards it not being a dedicated handheld. If it's truly hybrid in nature, how would a Wii U level machine appease the home console crowd?

And like Sheikah said, the NX is meant to serve us into the 2020s - somehow still using tech from 2012 feels a bit too big of a gap. I'm not a big tech head but I still want up-to-date tech.

But all rumours are pointing towards it not being a dedicated handheld. If it's truly hybrid in nature, how would a Wii U level machine appease the home console crowd?

And like Sheikah said, the NX is meant to serve us into the 2020s - somehow still using tech from 2012 feels a bit too big of a gap. I'm not a big tech head but I still want up-to-date tech.

I believe the NX was the 3DS successor, until the Wii U bombed as badly as it did. The NX was meant to step in from a position of strength (handhelds) not a weak one (home consoles).

In an ideal world for Nintendo the NX would be filling the 3DS position (like DS did for GBA) As it is they have seen in terms of software, it makes better sense to have NX fill the Wii U's slot. But I believe when they were creating NX it was geared more to the handheld side of things and the more central ground is forced by the near absolute failure of the Wii U. The NX isn't meant to appease the home console crowd, that's coming in a couple of years time.

Can we get something straight please...

The PS4 was announced in Feb 2013 but only properly shown in June. Time between reveal and release: 9 months or (5 months).

The Xbox One was revealed in May 2013 and released in November: a 6 month gap.

The NX is releasing in March. A September reveal also means 6 months. The same as Xbox and similar to PS4.

There's nothing strange, surprising, or maddening about Nintendo being tight-lipped. If they don't reveal it in September, then feel free to moan.

Did you see the video posted on the last page? It went some way in explaining why things may be different for Nintendo and the comparison might not be fair.

Microsoft and Sony have known brand names for their products, Nintendo tends to go new. That adds a hurdle. People know Nintendo, but if there's one thing we learnt from the Wii U they may not pay too much attention so Nintendo need to be laser-sharp in their marketing to push it across that this is a new console made by Nintendo.

They will be doing something completely different from other consoles and their previous ones. Needs more time to build awareness in the market place. Look at how much extra time Apple gave the first iPad from announcement to market (3 months) compared to what they give phones (which is usually a few weeks). A new untested product needs to be understood, be advertised and be seen. Microsoft and Sony don't have this issue because people generally know the next PlayStation + 1 is the new Sony and the next Xbox is the Microsoft (Neo and Scorpio will be an interesting test of this that may trip them up in this regards in the future).

If the rumours are true then that adds another possible confusion point - is it a handheld? Is it a home console? Again the focus needs to be sharp and clear. And apparently (according to the EG report) that is the plan, which is great.

Sony and Microsoft are much more aggressive in their marketing.

There is Christmas in the way. That's a lot of advertising, a lot of messages, a potential missed market for parents that just get new tech for their kids and the possibility of retail fatigue by the time the console does actually come out.

But thanks for giving a timeline on when people can be concerned.

Edited by Ashley

Did you see the video posted on the last page? It went some way in explaining why things may be different for Nintendo and the comparison might not be fair.

Microsoft and Sony have known brand names for their products, Nintendo tends to go new. That adds a hurdle. People know Nintendo, but if there's one thing we learnt from the Wii U they may not pay too much attention so Nintendo need to be laser-sharp in their marketing to push it across that this is a new console made by Nintendo.

They will be doing something completely different from other consoles and their previous ones. Needs more time to build awareness in the market place. Look at how much extra time Apple gave the first iPad from announcement to market (3 months) compared to what they give phones (which is usually a few weeks). A new untested product needs to be understood, be advertised and be seen. Microsoft and Sony don't have this issue because people generally know the next PlayStation + 1 is the new Sony and the next Xbox is the Microsoft (Neo and Scorpio will be an interesting test of this that may trip them up in this regards in the future).

If the rumours are true then that adds another possible confusion point - is it a handheld? Is it a home console? Again the focus needs to be sharp and clear. And apparently (according to the EG report) that is the plan, which is great.

There is Christmas in the way. That's a lot of advertising, a lot of messages, a potential missed market for parents that just get new tech for their kids and the possibility of retail fatigue by the time the console does actually come out.

Agree with this. Nintendo will no doubt have something they believe makes there product different. The problem is with the 3ds and Wii u they couldn't effectively get across what that was.

I'm hoping more than anything the long wait is down to them really getting it right this time. I'm thinking the wii u has been a real wake up call and they know you only get one reveal and they can't mess up again.

This thing could be a beast for a handheld but it's still possible Nintendo have a bad marketing campaign.

Masterful post :bowdown:

Its so simple and seamless the way Microsoft and Sony - by sticking to one simple brand name - have left their legacy on the industry. Its almost elementary level marketing. Why does Nintendo have to invent a new brand every generation? I can only imagine the pain in the arse in thinking up new trademarks and logos and images every three or so years.

I love Nintendo but they don't seem to be capable of evolving to adapt to the new climate, sometimes they seem ripe for extinction.

The NX isn't meant to appease the home console crowd, that's coming in a couple of years time.

Do you have any info to back this statement up? ;)

Agree with this. Nintendo will no doubt have something they believe makes there product different. The problem is with the 3ds and Wii u they couldn't effectively get across what that was.

I'm hoping more than anything the long wait is down to them really getting it right this time. I'm thinking the wii u has been a real wake up call and they know you only get one reveal and they can't mess up again.

This thing could be a beast for a handheld but it's still possible Nintendo have a bad marketing campaign.

The pessimist in me is thinking the wake up call that Nintendo has arisen to is that they need go back to being more like the Wii, I'm sure their tantalized by its immense success and perhaps think now more than ever that catering to the 'hardcore' with a traditional play style will not make them money.

Just strikes me as odd that Sony revealed the PS4 5 months before launch, and Microsoft revealed the XBO 6 months before, and yet people are moaning that Nintendo haven't revealed the NX with 7 months to go.

Their situations may be different, but not to the degree you're suggesting. How much time do you need to explain a handheld games console, six months is perfect IMO, hence why it's standard.

I think you've completely missed or ignored most of his points there, Ronnie.

Anyhow I wanted to come back to some of this display stuff - if it's hybrid what's the odds of there being given options on what handheld mode might be able to display? A bit like 3DS where you can have it on but have less battery life - maybe you can have 480/540/720p options but obviously the latter on the go may cause a bigger drain/strain on the console. However at home with the dock(extra-powered) you can easily have the 720p for the TV? Some might be happy with that, and it can help address those battery concerns, and it gives the people who aren't TOO bothered about the extra to use what works well enough for them?

I think you've completely missed or ignored most of his points there, Ronnie.

Anyhow I wanted to come back to some of this display stuff - if it's hybrid what's the odds of there being given options on what handheld mode might be able to display? A bit like 3DS where you can have it on but have less battery life - maybe you can have 480/540/720p options but obviously the latter on the go may cause a bigger drain/strain on the console. However at home with the dock(extra-powered) you can easily have the 720p for the TV? Some might be happy with that, and it can help address those battery concerns, and it gives the people who aren't TOO bothered about the extra to use what works well enough for them?

I like this idea but at home, when docked, the system has to be able to output 1080p. 720p on a tv would be criminal when you consider that this thing is gonna have to last beyond 2020!

Just strikes me as odd that Sony revealed the PS4 5 months before launch, and Microsoft revealed the XBO 6 months before, and yet people are moaning that Nintendo haven't revealed the NX with 7 months to go.

Their situations may be different, but not to the degree you're suggesting. How much time do you need to explain a handheld games console, six months is perfect IMO, hence why it's standard.

It's four years since the Wii U launched and some people still think it's an add on.

It's not just a handheld console. It's one that plugs in to the TV. Need to explain how that works, what it needs, what that does to games, how portable is it, what is the battery like, will there be unique games. Will there just be a home console version down the line? Etc etc etc. It's simple to us because we've been seeking information for nearly two years. Jon Consumer won't have been.

The situations are quite different. Nintendo is quite different. To suggest it worked for others so it'll be fine for Nintendo is to say the Visa should have sold much more. If you boil it down to its utmost simplest (they all release consoles) you can't then make any kind of realistic comparison.

And for what it's worth the PS4 name (unsurprising as it was), controller, games and specs were announced in February. The only thing they held back was the look of the console, some games and some specifics. When it's a more powerful version of the previous you don't need that lead in time. You do need it if your brand name has changed, your console idea has changed, your approach has changed.

Nintendo is in a completely different situation.

They may be able to make it work. We may see an advert every day after announcement to launch. But, I think there is ground to suggest it may backfire. We don't know but we sure as heck wish to discuss it.

Edited by Ashley

I think part of it is because people are clinging to the mindset of reveals in a pre-mainstream internet world. Nowadays, long reveal cycles are actually bad for the product.

The stuff you mention, @Ashley, doesn't require a lot of time to explain.

I think part of it is because people are clinging to the mindset of reveals in a pre-mainstream internet world. Nowadays, long reveal cycles are actually bad for the product.

The stuff you mention, @Ashley, doesn't require a lot of time to explain.

I think part of it is that we won't be seeing it in March.. :blank:

I like this idea but at home, when docked, the system has to be able to output 1080p. 720p on a tv would be criminal when you consider that this thing is gonna have to last beyond 2020!

Yeah I was gonna put 1080p in my list there but I thought it was being said that the chip might not be as capable - I'm not even sure I'd notice the difference tbh. Isn't there issues around the XBone doing 1080p across the board or am I confusing something there? I also don't really understand the whole upscaling thing too much either(like what the 'cost' is).

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with the point that it should be 1080p at home if it's a system to last; I'm just not sure how much it will fuss me personally if it isn't. I was happy enough with how most of the stuff looked on the WiiU from what I recall.

The stuff you mention, @Ashley , doesn't require a lot of time to explain.

So there was actually nothing wrong with the Wii U then, it was just crap yeah :p?

We will :)

I remember once being assured that a parcel I was waiting for would definitely be delivered the next day.. but it wasn't :heh: