Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Reasons to buy a Wii U?

Iun

I actually find that Wii games look awful when played through my HDMI cable on Wii U compared to the component cable of my Wii. It's one of the reasons I never done the data transfer from Wii to Wii U :heh:

You're referring to Wii and VC games played in Wii Mode, right? I think they look delightful played through 'normal' Wii U.

As for Virtual Console games, I actually hate playing with borders down each side. I have a 40" TV and I like to have it filled! I'd rather have the picture fill the screen and be stretched a bit than have those black strips down each side :nono:

I think I'm in the minority here, but I just accept them. I'm so anal about aspect ratio.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someones been is pwned :grin:

Frivolous perhaps, not idiotic. It's not a great feature and doesn't deserve the praise it gets. A handful of people here make way too much of it; there are better implementations of being able to play in other rooms, off-TV play is limited in distance from the console, limited in what game you can play. I'm happy to concede that it's probably better than not having it (but then i'd say that about a trackball on the bottom of the Gamepad too).

No you don't because like I say not all games utilise it. : peace:

I really, really don't think they do. I love how sharp, bright and vibrant 8- and 16-bit visuals look on a plasma. It gives them a striking look that brings out the best in Nintendo's historic art.

People timeshift TV, so this is far less of a problem than it was in the SNES days. Someone once told me a bed is for sleeping and shagging in ;)

If you like only Nintendo games then it is worth a look, but saying it has the best version of games is a little misleading. Sure, Mario Kart 8 is probably the best version but the Mario Galaxies hands down beat 3D World, whilst DK, NSMB are no better, no worse than the Wii counterparts.

And don't get two or more free games per month.

Firstly, I never said THE best games in the series, I said some of the best best. So don't twist to make a point.

The rest is just twisting to get out. It's a great feature many people use, you don't, fine, but you shouldn't dismiss it so much either. As for tipmeshift and not as much if a problem as in the snes era... Caveat king, but also just because it isnt as much of a problem, doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

Weirdly, I'd say it is more of a problem these days for me, when I was kid I had my own tele so I could just play games wheni want, now my main tele and set up is the living room, so it's more compromised.

Yes you can use another tele in the house, but how much of a faff is it to move the whole console cables when you can just play off tv?

Thanks everyone, particularly @Rummy and @Fierce_LiNk.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and grab one -provided I can find it at a decent price. I think the cheapest pro bundle I have seen is about £230 with Mario Kart and NSMBU (which is a game that doesn't appeal in the slightest).

It's a little disingenuous calling the library phenomenal, isn't it? In fairness my use of the word OK was a bit of an understatement, it's a strong line up of good games but nothing phenomenal, nothing great (and this is one of the reasons why the machine is struggling, right?). Super Mario 3d World is arguably (I wasn't that impressed with it, personally) the best game on the system and not a patch on Super Mario Galaxy. DKC is nice to have but not a big improvement over the Wii version.

There's also stuff in the list provided by @Wii which clearly shouldn't be there. Nintendo Land has it's audience but it's a weak game, same with ZombiU. When someone is asking advice on spending £300, I think it's courteous - at least - not to artificially inflate the offerings. Wii's list includes probably 5, maybe 6 games which you'd truly buy a Wii U for, if you're a Nintendo fan of course.

Since launch I've been unable to honestly recommend Wii U to friends, family at least not without some strong caveat. That hasn't changed since E3, despite a great showing.

I agree with your statement. While Nintendo Land and ZombiU aren't perfect or truly amazing, they are decent. They can be bought very cheaply now(around €10) so that's why I listed them. If they were full price I wouldn't have put them on there. The same goes for some of the other 3rd party games. Batman Arkham City should be on the list for the same reason. It is much better than the previous 2 games I was talking about.

I agree with others sentiments, the gamepad is great for playing VC games.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and grab one -provided I can find it at a decent price. I think the cheapest pro bundle I have seen is about £230 with Mario Kart and NSMBU (which is a game that doesn't appeal in the slightest).

You don't really live in Shanghai do you? I was looking on gumtree and they've some decent ads there. Whatever you buy make sure it has a receipt for the console.

http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=wii+u&category=all&search_location=&current_distance=&search_scope=title

Wow. It's not just the shops over there, even the ad sites are better than what we have in Ireland. I might try scouring that site for bargains for myself. That is if if they'll post and some ads only have phone numbers.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

[quote name=Wii;1698771

You don't really live in Shanghai do you? I was looking on gumtree and they've some decent ads there. Whatever you buy make sure it has a receipt for the console.

http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=wii+u&category=all&search_location=&current_distance=&search_scope=title

Wow. It's not just the shops over there' date=' even the ad sites are better than what we have in Ireland. I might try scouring that site for bargains for myself. That is if if they'll post and some ads only have phone numbers.[/quote]

Sadly yes, I am in Shanghai. I can get a receipt for anything here, but whether or not the retailer or seller will go our any warranty or anything like that is really a personal decision on their behalf. Consumer protection laws are not really followed.

and the question is obviously comparative to similar entertainment devices he could buy

A completely invalid assumption I'd say. He's going to get some money, he might want a Wii U - that does not mean he's debating between a WiiU or an alternative entertainment device. I, at one point, could not decide whether or not to get a Wii U - I was NOT contemplating an alternative entertainment device in its place however.

Though sort of in point - I am curious as to your motivations for the Wii U, especially given you say you've no appeal from NSMBU?

Glad the advice was useful, brah.

I'm not interested in NSMBU at all either. If you can, find some way of ditching it and getting The Wonderful 101 or Pikmin 3, the two proper stand out games on the WiiU. Everything else on the system can be lived with or without, in my honest opinion.

Glad the advice was useful, brah.

I'm not interested in NSMBU at all either. If you can, find some way of ditching it and getting The Wonderful 101 or Pikmin 3, the two proper stand out games on the WiiU. Everything else on the system can be lived with or without, in my honest opinion.

New_Challenger_Approaching.0_cinema_1280.0.jpg

341px-Box_Art-MH3U_

New_Challenger_Approaching.0_cinema_1280.0.jpg

341px-Box_Art-MH3U_

I loved 3 on the Wii but didn't get the WiiU game. It's a massive commitment and I wonder if the buzz for this has died down in preparation for the next game? To me, you'd need to spent loads of time on that for it to be truly worthwhile, whereas Pikmin and Wonderful101 are instantly accessible and awesome in that respect.

If Iun has the time, then yeah, go for it. It really depends on who plays the game right now though. Especially as he mentioned his problems with online in the first post. Monster Hunter in singleplayer is like Mario Kart in singleplayer. Passable, but...it's not really where the fun is.

A completely invalid assumption I'd say. He's going to get some money, he might want a Wii U - that does not mean he's debating between a WiiU or an alternative entertainment device. I, at one point, could not decide whether or not to get a Wii U - I was NOT contemplating an alternative entertainment device in its place however.

At the same time, the decision about whether to get a Wii U isn't made in a vacuum right? Your consideration of whether to get a Wii U or not was based on having had similar experiences in the past or on your other consoles, but you might not necessarily have been considering another console because you already had other places to play games (like your Wii or PS2 or whatever). In a land without videogames the Wii U is king. So it's natural to assume that other places to experience videogames also figures into Iun's decision, and as for recommendations we sort of have to take other options into account, especially since he hasn't told us what other consoles he owns.

A lot of people moan about the quality of the Wii U GamePad screen, and yeah, I think it looks pretty bad sometimes too, but I think it really depends on the software you use more than anything.

I know the worst experience I've had with it is on Sonic Racing, where it literally looks as though you're watching a 360p youtube video, but then Youtube on the internet browser (when set to 720p) and Netflix look genuinely great on the GamePad - Bright, clear and crisp.

Well, I did it, and I'm thoroughly in love with the gamepad and MK8!

However, NSMBU (the pack in game) can just go and f--k itself. There's nothing new about the game.

EDIT: my NNID is narsfweasels.

Off-TV play is loved by fanboys as it justifies their purchase. Off-TV play just isn't the killer feature they make it out to be; I suppose it's an OK feature, better to have it than not. Maybe it is great if you like to play games on a small, washed out display but having spent the best part of £300 on a console and game I bet you'd like to play them in HD with vibrant colour and deep sound.

Totally disagree. If you share a TV with a partner and/or kids it's a godsend. YMMV but you can't dismiss it.

I actually really enjoyed NSMBU

I did, too.. but I don't really REMEMBER anything in particular about it :hmm:New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros U all sort of merge into one in my head and I seem to find it difficult to recall much that was particularly distinguishable.

Games like Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy all have a unique identity that is certainly lacking in the 'New' games, and probably Super Mario 3D World too!

I did, too.. but I don't really REMEMBER anything in particular about it :hmm:New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros U all sort of merge into one in my head and I seem to find it difficult to recall much that was particularly distinguishable.

Games like Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy all have a unique identity that is certainly lacking in the 'New' games, and probably Super Mario 3D World too!

That's the thing, having played the Mario games since Super Mario World on the SNES, I don't see that anything has really changed. Only occasionally does Mario get a new suit, and I'm reminded of that Simpsons episode with the Lisa Lionheart Doll: "It's the same Malibu Stacy that you were buying before!"

"BUT SHE HAS A NEW HAT!"

Also: @Animal @EEVILMURRAY @RedShell - I have made friend requests to all of you.

The rest of you: Please, add me as a friend, I'd love to play MK8 with people I know for a change! My ID is narsfweasels.

That's the thing, having played the Mario games since Super Mario World on the SNES, I don't see that anything has really changed. Only occasionally does Mario get a new suit, and I'm reminded of that Simpsons episode with the Lisa Lionheart Doll: "It's the same Malibu Stacy that you were buying before!"

"BUT SHE HAS A NEW HAT!"

Also: @Animal @EEVILMURRAY @RedShell - I have made friend requests to all of you.

The rest of you: Please, add me as a friend, I'd love to play MK8 with people I know for a change! My ID is narsfweasels.

Sorry mate, I don't have a Wii U, I only have a 3DS but if you have one of them, I'll totally add you! :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!