NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Trust this board to take great exposure on EDGE, a great headline and then tie it all back to f-ing voice chat. Maybe the rest of the industry isn't as obsessed with it as some on this board. Anyway the magazine is out today, will try and post anything of interest from it later.

I hope that Dr Mario amiibo page is a hint that all amiibo will unlock tshirts and such! So obvious, but so so brilliant a use!!

Trust this board to take great exposure on EDGE, a great headline and then tie it all back to f-ing voice chat. Maybe the rest of the industry isn't as obsessed with it as some on this board. Anyway the magazine is out today, will try and post anything of interest from it later.

In fairness its a cover with 8 words (including the name of the game itself). There's really not much to say until we're able to pick up the issue, which we are now.

Summary of Edge article on Splatoon

- Main article has quotes from Amano/Sakaguchi and Nogami and talks about Edge playing the same demo build of the game the media played a few weeks back.

- The prototype had basic block characters and the ink painting mechanic. You were invisible when you were in your own ink. Amano/Sakaguchi added in jumping, hiding in ink, and the ability to shoot up and down. After that, though, they were confused about what they wanted to do with the game. They thought they might put a squid character on the box art but they needed a humanoid character to hold the guns. They thought a "squid human" wouldn't sell.

- Amano/Sakaguchi were scolded by Miyamoto in 2013 when doing the prototype who said "I don't understand. What do you want to do? There's no appeal to this game".

- They had an epiphany on Jan 6, 2014 that they could have you switch between a squid and human form and they rapidly got a bunch of ideas about how you swim faster in your own ink, you slow down in enemy ink and take damage, you can swim up walls, etc.

- Amano is a fan of "shooting games". but when he would invite friends to play with him they would get frustrated. He wants to make a game that is different that people who aren't fans of traditional shooters can play.

- Edge magazine says "Splatoon has no voice chat and never will". Amano says: "This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming". Amano says he's not saying that chat in an online game can't contribute to fun but they want to grab new players.

- Confirms that there are some Splat Zone maps with more than one boxed-off area to capture. If you claim all the territories your timer starts to count down, but if your opponent captures one the timer stops.

- The same primary weapon can come in a variation with the different sub/special weapon

- Can start firing after a super jump right before you land

- More online modes besides Turf War/Splat Zones

- One respawn point per team, but you're invulnerable while on it to discourage campers.

- A lot of the designers on the team are in their 30s, so the 90s style with street fashion and trainers is a big inspiration for the outfits

- Trick to balancing the weapons according to Sakaguchi is to make people want a little more ("if only it could shoot a little farther/shoot faster"). They aren't going out trying to make the strongest weapon in the game.

- 15 singleplayer challenges and "5 rare pieces of gear" for each of the 3 Amiibos

- Q&A with Katsuya Eguchi. Thinks Splatoon IP has huge potential and the characters could appear in different types of games. Challenge of HD development with large teams is that team members have different skill/experience levels and it is important that work isn't unnecessarily duplicated. Trying to do new things to take opinions of younger team members into account even at the beginning of a project and not just senior staff. It is important to have things for Splatoon that will draw attention to the game after release (basically hints at content updates/DLC).

A few other notes:

- A note mentions that one of the pairs of shoes available changes color to match the Inkling you've created

- The article mentions one of the challenges for the girl inlking Amiibo might be completing a stage in a certain time limit

- Nintendo is testing the game internally and there are frequent "quarrels" between team members discussing which weapon is stronger in certain situations

- They spent two hours talking about how long it should take the grenades to explode

- Amano and Sakaguchi have been been thinking about the game so much that they've been dreaming about it. Sakaguchi actually dreamed that he asked one of the programmers on the team to come up with something and the programmer in his dream implemented it and showed it to Sakaguchi. Sakaguchi loved the idea. He had that programmer (in real life) put it in the game the next day!

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=159391066&postcount=2379

Think I might e-mail thegamecollection later about seeing if I can get a refund. Haven't fully made up my mind yet. Would they give a refund? So what I said about pestering them on Miiverse will have 0% affect on their decision. People have not reacted well to that comment, it's gone down like the proverbial lead balloon. It's spreading like wildfire and it's an issue that is not going away.

45 singleplayer challenges and 15 rare pieces of gear that I'll never see either because I don't like amiibo and will remain forever locked on the disc. Reading through the interview and thinking more about what I've seen, this game is aimed at roughly the 12 year old market.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Good bit of info in that interview.

Miyamoto flipping tables again? :D I'm happy you are invincible when you respawn. I hate campers in shooters, so this should at least help get rid of it, to a certain extent.

15 singleplayer challenges and "5 rare pieces of gear" for each of the 3 Amiibos

Well, that's shit.

Some nice bits of info in there. Good to hear there are other online modes as well as Turf Wars and Splat Zones.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME.

Didn't they say last time that Turf Wars was the only mode available? Seems like they changed their mind, or the original article was mistranslated.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=159391066&postcount=2379

Think I might e-mail thegamecollection later about seeing if I can get a refund. Haven't fully made up my mind yet. Would they give a refund? So what I said about pestering them on Miiverse will have 0% affect on their decision. People have not reacted well to that comment, it's gone down like the proverbial lead balloon. It's spreading like wildfire and it's an issue that is not going away.

45 singleplayer challenges and 15 rare pieces of gear that I'll never see either because I don't like amiibo and will remain forever locked on the disc. Reading through the interview and thinking more about what I've seen, this game is aimed at roughly the 12 year old market.

How far Nintendo have fallen. Looks like they're just like the rest now.

I hope this game flops miserably. Nintendo don't deserve it selling well.

I hope this game flops miserably. Nintendo don't deserve it selling well.

Mature as always

Mature as always

It's not immature.

I don't see this as a good product. I don't feel poor products should sell as it sets a bad precedent. If it was a product I felt to be good I'd hope it would sell well.

That's a perfectly reasonable view to have. If anything, your comment was the more immature of the two of ours.

The new challenges being separate per amiibo is a tough pill to swallow and I was even planning to buy one of the Splatoon amiibos. I am not getting the super pack with all three amiibo just to get that DLC though. This is pretty low - unless the challenges are all basic variants on the same level - complete this time for this existing course - in which casde I can take or leave them.

It's not immature.

I don't see this as a good product. I don't feel poor products should sell as it sets a bad precedent. If it was a product I felt to be good I'd hope it would sell well.

That's a perfectly reasonable view to have. If anything, your comment was the more immature of the two of ours.

It's typical immature entitled gamer talk, something a 14 year old would say. The majority of gamers aren't as utterly OBSESSED with voice chat as you. Splatoon looks to be a fantastic game that many reports have said is revolutionising the shooter genre. It's a brand new IP and looks to be a lot of fun. Fingers crossed it does very well.

Splatoon game plus all 3 amiibo for £59.99 on GAME

http://www.game.co.uk/en/splatoon-with-inkling-squid-amiibo-inkling-boy-amiibo-and-inkling-girl-amiibo-558830?pageSize=40&searchTerm=splatoon&catGroupId=

• Splatoon, a colourful and chaotic online third-person action shooter - exclusively on Wii U.
  • Team up and take on other teams in an action-filled battle to cover the level with as much ink as possible.
  • Covering more territory with ink unlocks powered-up super weapons that can be used to attack rivals or cover more turf.
  • Strategy is everything. Defeat enemies to splatter them in an explosion of ink, covering more turf for your team.
  • Hop online and battle in four-on-four matches.

"Strategy is everything." Ooh GAME clearly didn't get the memo. :heh:

It's typical immature entitled gamer talk, something a 14 year old would say. The majority of gamers aren't as utterly OBSESSED with voice chat as you. Splatoon looks to be a fantastic game that many reports have said is revolutionising the shooter genre. It's a brand new IP and looks to be a lot of fun. Fingers crossed it does very well.

Read my post again, because it's not a product I feel is good, I don't think it should sell because it's sets a bad precedent. As if sub-par products are ok.

I'm allowed to have the opinion that it's sub-par as a result of the lack of voice chat. It's not being "immature and entitled", it's an opinion, simple as that.

That you don't like my opinion, fair enough, you're entitled to not like it, but you're wrong in saying it's "entitled and immature". Just accept it.

Jesus.

What a surprise the thread has turned to shit.

I for one have been more and more tempted by this game the more I look at the footage. The fact it can be picked up for a decent price for the game on its own is even more of a bonus.

I'm excited to try it out as it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Must be the inner 12 year old.

Well, I've got my pre-order down for the special edition with Squid Amiibo.

I think the game looks amazing. Colourful, fun and full of Nintendo charm.

Yes, it doesn't have voice chat, but does that make it a terrible product that is utter shite? No, it doesn't. What's more, if people really want to chat they can do so over Skype - I know it's not ideal, but it is an alternative.

What's more, I've said this in another thread, but let's not start calling out Nintendo over these Amiibo locked challenges until we know exactly what they consist of! If they have locked full levels or maps, then lets vent our anger when we know. But if they are just variations of challenges that amount to nothing more than an Xbox Live achievement, then there's no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist.

Personally, I think the lack of voice chat will surely only make the game better - teams that use voice chat would get a huge advantage over teams that don't, so having no voice chat just makes it more fair for everybody. :)

Personally, I think the lack of voice chat will surely only make the game better - teams that use voice chat would get a huge advantage over teams that don't, so having no voice chat just makes it more fair for everybody. :)

Good point.

Well, except for all the teams that will use Skype or something to talk.

I really want to want this game, but I'm just not there yet. I feel like I need to hear more in-depth impressions in the run up to release or, better yet, somehow try it out for myself :heh:

The limited edition set with t-shirt and amiibo for £39.99 was verging on being tempting, partly because I could do with a few new pieces of clothing, but it's still too big an outlay on uncertainty :hmm:

Good point.

Didn't you previously say you've played the game and that voice chat would offer no advantage?

Didn't you previously say you've played the game and that voice chat would offer no advantage?

I only played Turf Wars and I'm almost certain it wouldn't offer much in that mode. The newly announced splat zones is a different story though.