NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Wii U - Splatoon Ranked Battle, Battle Dojo and amiibo Trailer

Splatoon - Battle Dojo and amiibo Analysis (Secrets & Hidden Details)

A thought occurred to me about the Splatoon amiibo. Most of the Mario/Smash ones can be used in multiple games, Link, Mario, Kirby, Dedede, Marth etc. They're good value for money in terms of their usage across lots of titles. The Splatoon amiibo on the other hand are probably only likely to be good for this one game, so it makes sense that the in-game bonus they unlock is more substantial than the rest. The niche titles will likely have better content than the more generic ones.

Yeah but you seen the video of the challenges? Obviously there could be more to the later ones, but they look painfully simple.

As for Splatoon amiibo, they can be used for Hyrule and Mario Party and Amiibo Tap, I'm sure there'll be other games which have universal usage. Oh, and smash when they inevitably get put in :)

[TWEET]587548932730851328[/TWEET]

[TWEET]587549106232360960[/TWEET]

Yeah but you seen the video of the challenges? Obviously there could be more to the later ones, but they look painfully simple.

As for Splatoon amiibo, they can be used for Hyrule and Mario Party and Amiibo Tap, I'm sure there'll be other games which have universal usage. Oh, and smash when they inevitably get put in :)

So you mean to say, after all the tears over these locked challenges, they really are something and nothing? Like the pixel hunts in Captain Toad or the the costumes in Mario Kart?

Considering how well Nintendo have handled Amiibo content, I think this was always going to be the case.

In advance of the launch of Nintendo's new game Splatoon for the Wii U on May 29th, Nintendo compiled a list of fun and interesting facts about squids. In case you aren't aware, the "Inkling" main characters in the game can transform into squids during gameplay to swim over the surface and up the walls, so we thought we would help you to get to know a bit more about them.

10 Fun Facts About Squids:

1. Squid have gills just like fish. They are often mistaken for octopus. While the two are similar they are different types of creatures.

2. Every squid has three hearts. They also move through the water tail first instead of head first.

3. The ink sac can be triggered to release this black substance very rapidly.

4. The Humboldt squid is very aggressive and will even attack sharks in the water.

5. The only predators that giant squid have are sperm whales.

6. Some species of squid are able to glow in the dark, which makes them easier to spot in the dark waters! Research shows this is due to them having bioluminescent organs.

7. The giant squid have eyeballs that are the same size as a standard basketball - a helpful defense mechanism in the water that allows them to spot their surroundings more easily.

8. Squid are believed to be the fastest of all invertebrates in the world. The giant squid is the largest invertebrate in the world.

9. Even though 300 species of squid have been identified and classified, it is believed there are at least 200 more that still need to be evaluated. Now that's a lot of squid!

10. Some species of squid have been found to live more than 13,000 feet deep in the water - that's about 43 football fields in length.

Nintendo PR e-mail

Nintendo UK Has Picked Its New PR Agency, Splatoon Activity Incoming

Other clients include Nando’s, Virgin Media and John Lewis

Nintendo UK has named PrettyGreen as its new PR agency, replacing previous firm 77PR.

PrettyGreen - which has Nando's, Virgin Media and John Lewis on its client list - will be in charge promoting Nintendo's titles in the region, with Splatoon being its first major project.

Nintendo UK's head of communications Jo Bartlett had this to say about the announcement:

We're excited to be welcoming the PrettyGreen team into the Nintendo family. They've shown themselves to be creative and strategic in their thinking and we're looking forward to working with them to deliver some fantastic campaigns for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in the months to come.

PrettyGreen founder Mark Stringer was equally happy, stating:

As an Agency we have a reputation for helping brands define and redefine creative culture and Nintendo is one of the most iconic brands out there; few can lay claim to having played such a consistent role in providing worldwide family entertainment for so long! It's great to be embarking on a new journey with the Nintendo Team at such an exciting time for the brand.

Do you think a new PR firm will invigorate Nintendo's brand in the UK and help push the Wii U and 3DS to stronger sales in 2015?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/04/nintendo_uk_has_picked_its_new_pr_agency_splatoon_activity_incoming

Does this mean Nintendo is finally going to advertise a Wii U game on TV after a years absence? PrettyGreen have their work cut out.

"Splatoon - perfect for gaming in a library because you can't fucking talk!"

"Splatoon - the brand new (anti)social online game from Nintendo."

"Splatoon - great gameplay, just feels a little soulless online."

Just lighthearted banter chaps ;)

It'll be good to see some Nintendo adverts for once. God knows they need the exposure!

Edited by Kav

How about what gamers who've actually played the game are saying:

"Splatoon: the most revolutionary, exciting shooter in years"

"Nintendo reinvents the multiplayer shooter"

"Splatoon - perfect for gaming in a library because you can't fucking talk!"

"Splatoon - the brand new (anti)social online game from Nintendo."

"Splatoon - great gameplay, just feels a little soulless online."

Just lighthearted banter chaps ;)

It'll be good to see some Nintendo adverts for once. God knows they need the exposure!

This game needs voice chat!!

Edited by Ronnie

There once was a game called Splatoon,

that looked liked a 90's cartoon.

the fans pleaded for voicechat,

but were told there'd be none of that,

now the reaction's caused a Typhoon!

Copyright 2015 Wii

Nintendo's PR was a lot better with its previous agency - Bell Pottinger. Adverts were better in those days, they held a lot more events for both the public and the press... it's no coincidence in my eyes that Nintendo's fortunes in this country have gone seriously downhill since they switched in 2012. Hopefully this agency will improve Nintendo's exposure, because they've been quite frankly useless in the past few years.

it's no coincidence in my eyes that Nintendo's fortunes in this country have gone seriously downhill since they switched in 2012. Hopefully this agency will improve Nintendo's exposure, because they've been quite frankly useless in the past few years.

Going to say it again but you can't put this down to the advertising campaign. Ultimately the Wii was a desirable product that captivated the public with a cool and novel gimmick, while the DS flourished in a pre-app store world with all the right types of casual games. The Wii U / 3DS offer nowehere near as revolutionary concepts and do little to capture the public's eye; far less due to the way they're positioned and more to do with the actual product on offer. The reason they haven't done as well is so very little to do with the advertising.

Edited by Sheikah

Going to say it again but you can't put this down to the advertising campaign. Ultimately the Wii was a desirable product captivated the public with a cool gimmick, while the DS flourished in a pre-app store world with all the right types of casual games. The Wii U / 3DS offer nowehere near revolutionary upgrades; the reason they haven't done as well is not the advertising.

Even if that was correct it still doesn't excuse the shocking Wii U marketing campaign.

I agree that its not just about advertising but I would expect something better than the Wii U adverts you saw at launch. They were abysmal.

Even if that was correct it still doesn't excuse the shocking Wii U marketing campaign.

I agree that its not just about advertising but I would expect something better than the Wii U adverts you saw at launch. They were abysmal.

I make no concessions for how bad their advertising is. But to say "it's no coincidence their fortunes dropped as their advertising switched" is too much of a stretch; that's not really the reason why they're in their current situation.

Going to say it again but you can't put this down to the advertising campaign. Ultimately the Wii was a desirable product that captivated the public with a cool and novel gimmick, while the DS flourished in a pre-app store world with all the right types of casual games. The Wii U / 3DS offer nowehere near as revolutionary concepts and do little to capture the public's eye; far less due to the way they're positioned and more to do with the actual product on offer. The reason they haven't done as well is so very little to do with the advertising.

Going to say it again, I wasn't saying it's the only reason. But it is definitely a factor.

Side splittingly funny as always Wii

Actually, I thought it was quite clever.

Lighten up!

Fair point! Hope you get a ridiculous warning for that ;) eh @Rummy

Not necessarily, I've said it's just a bit of banter in my post. I just found it funny how you still bit, even though I wasn't actually fishing for one.

Not necessarily, I've said it's just a bit of banter in my post. I just found it funny how you still bit, even though I wasn't actually fishing for one.

Yep, exactly the same here. @Rummy saw it differently somehow.