NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Don't Worry Colour-Blind Gamers, Splatoon Has Got Your Back

large.jpg

Ink-lusive to a fault

Being colour-blind is no laughing matter, especially if you're a keen gamer. Those of us fortunate enough not to suffer from the problem take it for granted just how many games rely on accurate colour perception; such titles are tricky to play if you can't tell one colour from another, and as a result, many colour-blind players find their enjoyment is seriously curtailed.

Thankfully Splatoon is one game that everyone should be able to enjoy, colour-blind or not. The digital manual for the recently-released Global Testfire demo states that the game will showcase a "Colour Lock" mode which restricts the ink colours in the game to certain combinations, thereby helping people who suffer from colour-blindness.

It's a very small thing but proves once again that Nintendo is thinking about everyone when it comes to designing its games. Do you suffer from colour-blindness, and were you concerned that you might not be able to enjoy Splatoon fully as a result? If so, what are your thoughts on this feature? Let us know by posting a comment.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/dont_worry_colour-blind_gamers_splatoon_has_got_your_back

While I enjoyed seeing a bunch of the weapons and abilities on the direct, i'm left wondering, just how balanced will this game be online? A single OP weapon or power up has the ability to completely ruin an online game. I really hope that everything is balanced correctly...

Seriously, can you two just put each other on your ignore lists. If it isn't Ronnie taking potshots at Wii, it's you two going at each other in just about every thread. You both clearly don't see eye to eye and have a genuine dislike towards one another, so why even bother trying to debate your points with each other?

Wii taking potshots at Serebii about the most trivial things doesn't help either.

Wii taking potshots at Serebii about the most trivial things doesn't help either.

Which is why I said that the two of them are constantly going at it. All you guys just need to let stuff go and just enjoy the banter.

How is Splatoon going to review? Are sites going to say "come to us in August for the final score?" I know some will but I think a lot of the content being missing is going to lower its overall score.

How is Splatoon going to review? Are sites going to say "come to us in August for the final score?" I know some will but I think a lot of the content being missing is going to lower its overall score.

How do they review COD and Battlefield games when usually they're unplayable mess for the first month or so?

I'll be honest: I'm not happy Nintendo are shipping a game like this.

However, they have admitted it before hand, have offered free DLC and have a schedule for more modes and additional options and strong post-release support. This doesn't make what they have done right, but it does ease the issue and at least we know where we stand.

I've been around for 5 major COD releases and never once have Activision said 'this is an unfinished product and will be supported after launch to get things up to scratch'.

Whilst I can fault Nintendo's approach, they have at least been honest and promised the game will get what looks like excellent support post release with FREE DLC and more modes.

I think we should judge Splatoon on what it is with a mind to what it will be.

But the most important aspect to me is how it plays - the core experience. If that is solid, fun and most of all FRESH, I'm in!

After 6 years of COD and shooters in general, I'm a little burnt out. So this looks like the new experience I want. I'm hyped for it and really am excited for the core mechanics and the new aspects it brings to the genre. If they are what I'm hoping for, I can forgive the extra modes coming in a few months later.

I'm with @Wii on this one. Splatoon is releasing as an empty shell of a game. It's laughable how unfinished it is!

Imagine CoD launched with just Team Deathmatch but without the ability to party up or chat. It's shambolic!

CoD was never released an unplayable mess, they've had teething problems but never unplayable. Only BF4 released a mess of the BF games.

Splatoon will have teething problems, of course it will, but this isn't where the issue lies. It's that it's so barebones with so few online options/features and it is a primarily online game. It's so bad how it's been handle by Nintendo. It's laughable!

I reckon if cod launched at 60% of the price, offering A completely new gaming experience, with the promise of it all being fully featured within 3 months for free. I reckon people would be okay with that.

I disagree that it is unfinished. If they released the stuff on May 29th with no promises of future content, nobody would have batted an eye. People were sure that the Direct would reveal nothing and that we knew it all, but here we have loads of new modes, weapons, maps and gear coming over the coming months, all of which we didn't know existed until yesterday. There is still substantial content at launch.

Only thing I'm unhappy with is the Friend matchups being unavailable until August. That is the one sucky thing, but that by no means means that it is unfinished

Edited by Serebii

How do they review COD and Battlefield games when usually they're unplayable mess for the first month or so?

I'll be honest: I'm not happy Nintendo are shipping a game like this.

However, they have admitted it before hand, have offered free DLC and have a schedule for more modes and additional options and strong post-release support. This doesn't make what they have done right, but it does ease the issue and at least we know where we stand.

I've been around for 5 major COD releases and never once have Activision said 'this is an unfinished product and will be supported after launch to get things up to scratch'.

Whilst I can fault Nintendo's approach, they have at least been honest and promised the game will get what looks like excellent support post release with FREE DLC and more modes.

I think we should judge Splatoon on what it is with a mind to what it will be.

But the most important aspect to me is how it plays - the core experience. If that is solid, fun and most of all FRESH, I'm in!

After 6 years of COD and shooters in general, I'm a little burnt out. So this looks like the new experience I want. I'm hyped for it and really am excited for the core mechanics and the new aspects it brings to the genre. If they are what I'm hoping for, I can forgive the extra modes coming in a few months later.

Excellent post

Substantial content?! @Serebii, this comment leads me to believe you've never played the likes of CoD or BF. It's so lacking in content it's laughable!

So lacking that I don't even see £35 as worth it.

The coming DLC is free because, let's face it, it should be in the game as standard!

Substantial content?! @Serebii, this comment leads me to believe you've never played the likes of CoD or BF. It's so lacking in content it's laughable!

So lacking that I don't even see £35 as worth it.

Please. I played them to great length last gen.

I see no difference here except the fact they're blocking ranked until people are of a certain level, to prevent steamrolling new people, and the weird stage selection scheme in standard online.

Please. I played them to great length last gen.

I see no difference here except the fact they're blocking ranked until people are of a certain level, to prevent steamrolling new people, and the weird stage selection scheme in standard online.

I call total bollocks here then. What about all the different games modes etc in CoD and BF?! Don't be so deluded!

Come August this game will be a bargain for £35.

I'm not that bothered persinally but I can understand the frustration. The game looks unlike anything else and that alone excites me. I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo would probably normally delay the game but can't afford to. Why can't we just accept that, get over it, either buy it, wait, or don't. These circular arguments are unwinnable.

I call total bollocks here then. What about all the different games modes etc in CoD and BF?! Don't be so deluded!

CoD? Well I mostly played Spec Ops, but mostly went on Team Deathmatch online. The single player bored me. Didn't get as much play out of Battlefield 3 though, but most of the modes were usually just dominated by one. The rest were seldom used. Whereas Splatoon starts off with three online, a singleplayer and a local, and then gets more and more and more over the next few months

https://account.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?gamerTag=Serebii

Didn't get many achievements, but spent a craptonne of time online. Try again :)

Edited by Serebii

@Serebii well then as opposed to me calling BS on you not playing them, I'm calling BS on you believing Splatoon has plenty of content... because you can't possibly believe that unless you have a mental deficiency, surely?!

There is still substantial content at launch.

I think this depends on what people want out of it. If you don't care about the single player stuff and only want the online modes, then the content is very lacking at launch. 5 maps and 2 modes is VERY lacking for an online shooter. I mean, Star Wars Battlefront announced that it would have 12 maps at launch and there was an outcry due to how little there are.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Come August this game will be a bargain for £35.

I'm not that bothered persinally but I can understand the frustration. The game looks unlike anything else and that alone excites me. I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo would probably normally delay the game but can't afford to. Why can't we just accept that, get over it, either buy it, wait, or don't. These circular arguments are unwinnable.

A brand new Nintendo IP, unlike anything we've seen before and all some people are interested in is bitching. Zero comments about how fantastic the gameplay itself actually looks, but then that's nothing new for this thread. I just don't get it.

Anyway I think the Nintendo strategy in the last few years has been to support games post launch and keep interest in them high for as long as possible. This is just another example of that. There'll be plenty to keep people occupied with the game day 1, and from then on we'll get updates every week or two.

Haven't watched the Direct yet, but pleased I've got it pre-ordered for £22 from The Game Collection. A bargain even if it doesn't turn out to be the best thing ever.

Most sites will review it as it is at launch. Some sites are starting to review games again after updates and DLC have hit. There were a couple that done this for DriveClub.

A brand new Nintendo IP, unlike anything we've seen before and all some people are interested in is bitching. Zero comments about how fantastic the gameplay itself actually looks, but then that's nothing new for this thread. I just don't get it.

Probably because the negative points are deal breakers for a lot of people, which is completely fair.

Probably because the negative points are deal breakers for a lot of people, which is completely fair.

It's the constant dragging down of topics by people who aren't interested that just annoys me. It happens all the time, Wii in the amiibo thread, kav in here. Just never-ending negativity that repeat the same point over and over, arguments go round in circles. If you're not interested in a game, fine, we get it (dear god we get it), just let people who are interested in it, enjoy the thread. You've said your piece kav, over and over and over. Accept that this is the way this game is, and move on.

It's the constant dragging down of topics by people who aren't interested that just annoys me. It happens all the time, Wii in the amiibo thread, kav in here. Just never-ending negativity that repeat the same point over and over, arguments go round in circles. If you're not interested in a game, fine, we get it (dear god we get it), just let people who are interested in it, enjoy the thread. You've said your piece kav, over and over and over. Accept that this is the way this game is, and move on.

This isn't him complaining about voice chat, he's simply airing his opinions over the news from the Direct. He said before that he was hoping the Direct would renew his interest in the game but if anything it just made things worse.

It's quite possible to have threads where people aren't happy about stuff. The real world isn't all sunshine and rainbows and the gaming world certainly isn't.

A thread about a bold new Nintendo IP that looks to be the most imaginative shooter in years, I'd settle for three consecutive positive posts talking about how great the game looks, never mind a whole topic of sunshine and rainbows.