NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

The tutorial section is very quick and basic. It think it only lasts about a minute but it serves it's purpose well.
Yeah, I saw it on the Treehouse vid posted above. I'd be happy just to spend some time messing around with that TBH, taking in the sights and sounds of the world of Splatoon. :hehe:

Have you not been able to play online with your Wii U?

No nor my 3DS most of the time, finally fixed the problem last night. Something to do with my router's firewall or something. I could connect to the internet but connecting to other players was the problem.

Ooh, forgot about this. Will try to pop on for a bit at 12, meant to be helping the parents in the garden, but I'm not free tonight so would like to try it out! They can wait! :D

Good impressions so far then??

I am so tired. The day is messed up now. Got 2 & 1/2 hours sleep. Will need more after the second demo but I don't :zzz: during the day very well if at all. Was it worth it? ::shrug: I suppose it was alright, I think the controls need more getting used to and affected my enjoyment.

The Splattershots feel weak, the charge shot too, having to repeatedly press the button to spray is not fun but I think the same of similar weapons in COD. It was hard to aim accurately and pull off a charge shot, at least for me(didn't know motion controls could be turned off, so will try that later). The roller is great fun and my definite favourite. It covers so much ground and it's satisfying to run someone over with it.

Ok I'm giving in and will give it a go :p
So I see: :D

W7E1CCE.jpg

Knew you wouldn't be able to resist. :heh:

Almost time! :bouncy:

If I'm crap it's because my Daughter's playing for me!!! ;)

No nor my 3DS most of the time, finally fixed the problem last night. Something to do with my router's firewall or something. I could connect to the internet but connecting to other players was the problem.

Interesting. Enjoy, some good online stuff on both machines. You'll be moaning about voice chat in no time :)

I'm ready for round 2. Motion controls off this time (though I did like it).

Be interested to know how many people play this.

Mixed feelings. While it was fun, and I liked the mechanics, it didn't totally win me over. Think I need more time with it, and perhaps the single player to get fully used to the mechanics and weapons. Felt a little bit too random for me. Matches are too short, and would've been nice to have more than the two maps, but I appreciate that it's just a demo.

Dare I say it, I've never used voice chat before... but I really think this could do with it and would make it a lot better... and the fact you can't join friends yet is a very sad situation.

If I didn't have a £22 pre-order, I'd be tempted to cancel... I am tempted to anyway and wait til August when it's a bit more fleshed out.

It's a shame there's not a motion+standard hybrid so you could still look up and down using the stick but do finer movements with the motion controls.

I'm still very much on the fence about this game. Doesn't seem much substance to it. Pre-order stays for now but will have to think about cancelling it.

Wow. The Japanese players are cheating SOBs. Everytime there's spawn killing going on its them!

I have to say, I don't think things are balanced at all, which was a major concern of mine after the direct.

Just checked back on other people's impressions - very much agree with @Wii that Wiimote/Nunchuck would be great. You could still have the map on the gamepad in front of you, but aiming would be a lot better with a Wiimote. Didn't try the non-motion controls, didn't realise you could turn them off!

I was being facetious as this game is a crapload of fun...can't believe some of you are actually considering cancelling.

As for balance, I'm certain things will be more balanced in the main game due to other weapons of each class turning things

I wish there was more of a single player demo - it's that mode that I'll probably play more/get more enjoyment out of. It was fun though. I'm not big on online multiplayer shooters, but it definitely needs tweaking for it to really become an excellent game. It's very bare-boned, and the fact it's launching incomplete may put off the community in the long run. I fear that it won't get a lasting online community because of this.

I quite enjoy the mini game too.. wish more games had that.

Having tried both methods, I have to say I prefer the motion controls, like MK8 not so keen on the map on the game pad tbh, I would prefer it in a fixed spot on the screen, it is great for the warping to a place on the map when you respawn, I far prefer that to any alternative I can think of... but I just wish they displayed a mini map maybe showing just the section you are in on the main screen...

But yes, overall very pleased I preordered this game, £24 for me, but still well worth it... just wish it was that cheap in digital form, because this is a game I think would be nicer to just fire up without worrying about the disc!

After more experience, the roller isn't actually that good. I opted to not use it at all this round and did really well. If you take into account verticality, it's easy to counter them. You just have to learn how best to splatter each weapon - even the sniper is great for spreading ink when used right.

I saw very few people using the crates dotted about. Those are great vantage points.

Ok, just had my first runs and I absolutely like it. I'm a noob when it comes to FPS games but I really like this game.

I'm glad I put a preorder in for the LE now! :)

Raelly enjoyed that... but the team's really do need balance. Was detroyed when out team had 3 splatter shots and a sniper, compared with their two rollers and sniper and splatter... it was 92-8!!

That was amazing!! :yay:

My God this game is pure gold. :bouncy:

So many entertaining moments in the past hour, many of which had me pissing myself with laughter. :laughing: Seriously, the comedy of being snuck up on and then splatted with the roller... it's genius. :awesome:

Love the fact the gameplay is so multifaceted too, will keep this one interesting for quite a while I reckon. icon14.gif

I'm not very good at using the GamePad screen while playing this though, the pace of the game makes looking down to check the map/super jump pretty tricky. :hmm: Hopefully something that will get easier with more practice though.

But yeah, this game is fantastic and I just cannot wait for May 29th! :)

@Mr\-Paul you can join friends in the main game, just not this.

I also don't think there are balancing issues, just in the team make up, good to have some rollers and splattersots. Also never noticed spawn killers either.

It is random, and quick, but it's pretty amazing. I just see this as a taster for the main game when you can play with friends, have more maps and weapons and game modes etc. this is a taster not a judgement on the whole game.

I was very pre-disposed to really enjoying it, but hell, I really enjoyed it.

Couldn't really get the knack of using the roller as well as most others. The charger in the demo was a bit poo, but I can see how more powerful iterations could be handy