NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

I'm in! :D pretty fun... like it, the gamepad motion aiming is taking a bit to get used to - won the first round pretty comprehensively!

I'm in! :D pretty fun... like it, the gamepad motion aiming is taking a bit to get used to - won the first round pretty comprehensively!

Just turn it off if you're not a fan.

lost the second one though :D I got highest score in my team though, so compensation I suppose! :)

Great! We've already got spawn killing going on!

Loving the roller weapon. It's very much a support class.

Just turn it off if you're not a fan.

I'm used to it now, just needed to get over expecting an analogue stick to do the job. Won 3rd round.. I'm liking the game! :D

glad I woke up for this.. just a shame I only get a few hours :(

Edited by Pestneb

I hope you don't have to keep quitting friends to change weapons and such in the main game.

Really love it though. Just trying out each weapon. Would be great to be abLe play with you guys though.

Well, just like every other online Nintendo game I've played on the Wii U, I can't maintain a stable connection for more than 1 minute before a disconnection notice pops up. Mario Kart 8 is the biggest offender for me. At the countdown timer it always disconnects, never played MK8 online due to this. Other 3rd party online offerings like Assassins Creed 3, COD games offer no such problems, so why is it only Nintendo online offerings aren't compatible with my online connection.

It isn't a fast connection, but like I've said already, other 3rd party online offerings have no problems, but it's the fastest I can get in an old apartment block. I feel totally distraught that I'll have to cancel my preorder for Nintendo's most innovative game in years because something with their online set-up doesn't like Taiwan??? FFS.

Well, just like every other online Nintendo game I've played on the Wii U, I can't maintain a stable connection for more than 1 minute before a disconnection notice pops up. Mario Kart 8 is the biggest offender for me. At the countdown timer it always disconnects, never played MK8 online due to this. Other 3rd party online offerings like Assassins Creed 3, COD games offer no such problems, so why is it only Nintendo online offerings aren't compatible with my online connection.

It isn't a fast connection, but like I've said already, other 3rd party online offerings have no problems, but it's the fastest I can get in an old apartment block. I feel totally distraught that I'll have to cancel my preorder for Nintendo's most innovative game in years because something with their online set-up doesn't like Taiwan??? FFS.

Have you tried changing router settings and such?

how do you play that arcade game on the load screen? nm, figured it out :D

Man, I was worrying during the tutorial that it wasn't going to offer us a control scheme that wasn't motion controlled, it's fucking atrocious!

Pretty fun to play, the roller weapon seems way over powered but who knows how that will go in future. Despite the fun I had, I'm still personally not sold on it though I imagine a lower price would be appealing. Can definitely see why some are hyped for it but it's just a little too lacking for me!

how do you play that arcade game on the load screen? nm, figured it out :D

Just press start.

You then hold down ZR to jump. :)

Man, I was worrying during the tutorial that it wasn't going to offer us a control scheme that wasn't motion controlled, it's fucking atrocious!

Pretty fun to play, the roller weapon seems way over powered but who knows how that will go in future. Despite the fun I had, I'm still personally not sold on it though I imagine a lower price would be appealing. Can definitely see why some are hyped for it but it's just a little too lacking for me!

A roller can easily be taken out by a long range weapon.

Have you tried changing router settings and such?

After realising MK8 didn't work online for me, I went and followed Nintendo's advice/support page about creating new addresses and a DMZ and such. None of it made a blind bit of difference to the result - disconnection. After a few emails back and forth I hit a wall that couldn't be overcome. It's just that other non-Nintendo games work fine online (never had a disconnection with COD, Monster Hunter 3&4, Resident Evil Revelations, Need for Speed). BTW, this also affects 3DS games for me, too. MK7 disconnects way too often, every other race nets one, but MH4 OK.

Why only the Big N. I feel a lengthy ranty email coming Nintendo's way. Not that it will do anything to resolve the issue, but it'll make me feel a damn sight better.

Took me an hour to sort my router settings to allow for a connection and now the online time is closed :-| doh. Anyway hope you all had fun

That's it now. That was alright. Roller weapon definitely seems the best to use.

well that went quickly, 2 communication errors, otherwise went well.. looking forward to the next round!

That was a lot of fun. The roller does seem to be a bit overpowered, and it seemed to turn into roller-only matches towards the end. It covers a lot of ground and seems to hold a lot more ink than the other weapons.

And it's over. :(

Connection wise, it held up pretty well. I only got DCed once and that was probably due to the lobby being mostly Japanese players.

I love the fact that after you die you can just tap on the touchscreen to fly over to a team mate. It's often a slog getting back to the action after dying in other shooters.

Spawn killing. Hate it. I know this will be addressed in the main game but it's going on quite a bit in the demo. One team had us pinned down at base by using the Rollers special moves. Very annoying.

I thought the motion controls were far to fiddly but thankfully you can turn them off.

People were trying to play the thing like CoD or something. They were just running around trying to get kills, rather than painting the place. Teams that were playing like this usually ended up getting steamrolled.

I really loved my time with and and will probably try the other weapons out in the next session.

I actually preferred the normal gun I think, but they all play so differently I could see myself swapping a lot. This added with creating a team with different jobs and there's a lot of room for change. Way more than the way I played cod.

Really hope they add tournaments in this. How great would it be to form a team and enter an fa cup styled tournament!?

I also played with the motion controls, worked really well for me, but I'll give dual analogue a go later.

Awesome, I'm as convinced as ever. Can't wait to see more weapons and levels and modes! Now back to bed...

I was a bit annoyed that you couldn't use both normal and motion controls at the same time.

One thing that is hilarious is using a roller and following an enemy roller. Then squishing him when they stop.

I struggled with the motion controls, didn't realise they could be turned off. I'd like motion controls in a wiimote/nunchuk setup. I think that's the best control scheme for shooters. Got d/c a load of times but that was fine, it was only really between matches, just once was during a match. Won as many matches as I lost. I'll see about the next session. I'm wrecked now.

Japanese Splatoon Commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQAhX1TF7Q

Nintendo Treehouse: Live with Splatoon Global Testfire

Starts @27:27 mark.

Got this message a few times at the start.

CEiEoKxVIAA1R7k.jpg

Then another few message errors saying cannot connect to partners device between matches but other than once having a disconnect during a match it was fine. Played at least 10 matches I'd say.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Nintendo Treehouse: Live with Splatoon Global Testfire

So you do get a little single player tutorial before playing against others. Why the hell didn't they just allow that section to always be playable outside of the 3 Turf War times? :indeed:

Anyway, sounds like the early event went pretty well. :) Really looking forward to checking this out myself later on today. :bouncy:

So you do get a little single player tutorial before playing against others. Why the hell didn't they just allow that section to always be playable outside of the 3 Turf War times? :indeed:

Anyway, sounds like the early event went pretty well. :) Really looking forward to checking this out myself later on today.

The tutorial section is very quick and basic. It think it only lasts about a minute but it serves it's purpose well.

It's really fun! I look forward to reading what you think of it.

@Serebii did you not have a blast on the early morning session?

The tutorial section is very quick and basic. It think it only lasts about a minute but it serves it's purpose well.

It's really fun! I look forward to reading what you think of it.

@Serebii did you not have a blast on the early morning session?

Na. I'm not touching the demo. Waiting to get the full experience on the 28th :)

Now that I've finally got my Wii U connection sorted I'll play 15mins at 12 before having to head out. Enjoying the novelty of online MK8 atm!

Now that I've finally got my Wii U connection sorted I'll play 15mins at 12 before having to head out. Enjoying the novelty of online MK8 atm!

Have you not been able to play online with your Wii U?