NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

I have pre-ordered the Splatoon Limited Edition

You do know that it doesn't have voice chat right?

Nintendo have in my view stumbled, (thanks in part to Activision/Disney) onto an idea which will help generate some interest in their games and with collecting these figures and for the company themselves to make money. Also perhaps shift a few more 3DS and Wii U's along the way.

What I dislike about amiibo's are the varying cost price (I'm not even talking about the rare ones) and the availability (or lack) of them perhaps forcing people to seek them out at an inflated price via resellers.

Also I don't want to see people feeling cut out from others or pressurised into buying more of them. I truly hope Nintendo sorts things out soon.

I'm not the biggest fan of Amiibo, but I have two. A good friend gave me their spare Villager as I couldn't find an affordable one for the life of me.

My biggest problem is that it's always the ones I like that sell out and my order gets cancelled for, so I just don't waste the time on them any more.

This is what I'm struggling to understand the most about the whole situation. You have a product that people clearly want, and you're obviously making money on - so why not ramp up and meet demand with increased production? They don't appear to be a short-term product so that lessens potential risk of over-production, plus it's clear from the market what ones need stocking and what don't etc. yet for some reason the shortages are allowed to continue - alienating people and losing sales, or letting scalpers and resellers just make money they don't really see off them instead.

This is what I'm struggling to understand the most about the whole situation. You have a product that people clearly want, and you're obviously making money on - so why not ramp up and meet demand with increased production? They don't appear to be a short-term product so that lessens potential risk of over-production, plus it's clear from the market what ones need stocking and what don't etc. yet for some reason the shortages are allowed to continue - alienating people and losing sales, or letting scalpers and resellers just make money they don't really see off them instead.

If they decide to make a figure, then it will become available 4 to 5 months later. So the stock we're getting now was put into production towards the end of November and early December. As such, the restocks promised that are coming are likely to have started around December/January, when shortages became known, and will come May/June, as they promised.

It's not as easy or quick as people seem to think.

If they decide to make a figure, then it will become available 4 to 5 months later. So the stock we're getting now was put into production towards the end of November and early December. As such, the restocks promised that are coming are likely to have started around December/January, when shortages became known, and will come May/June, as they promised.

It's not as easy or quick as people seem to think.

Plucking bits of information out of your a$$ again I see. Source please or it's simply not true.

It takes no more than 3 months to go from production to the final product on store shelves.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/nintendo-will-increase-amiibo-production-04-03-2015/

"it takes a few months to bring the amiibos from production to store shelves."
Edited by Wii

Plucking bits of information out of your a$$ again I see. Source please or it's simply not true.

It takes no more than 3 months to go from production to the final product on store sheves.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/nintendo-will-increase-amiibo-production-04-03-2015/

1. That article you linked to doesn't back up your statement.

2. I'm going based on official CPSIA sheets, which I have posted here before last time you tried to counter me that state the date production commences. From there, you can see how long it takes to come out by comparing that to release day.

You can see them for yourself here: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11021

Not my fault you seem to be unable to create long term memories to remember these things

Edited by Serebii

1. That article you linked to doesn't back up your statement.

2. I'm going based on official CPSIA sheets, which I have posted here before last time you tried to counter me that state the date production commences. From there, you can see how long it takes to come out by comparing that to release day.

You can see them for yourself here: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11021

Not my fault you seem to be unable to create long term memories to remember these things

Like you forgot your full stop? And isn't it just so convenient that you should pick 5 months as your made up answer? That happens to just about cover when amiibo were first released giving Nintendo an excuse for this debacle.

Edit: And that link backs up what I said.

Edited by Wii

Like you forgot your full stop? And isn't it just so convenient that you should pick 5 months as your made up answer? That happens to just about cover when amiibo were first released giving Nintendo an excuse for this debacle.

Edit: And that link backs up what I said.

Wow. Grasping at straws in an attempt to attack me now.

And yes, the PDFs now have it down to 3 months because, as has been said, they have ramped up production, but it's only just begun being that way. Check the last few waves and you'll see.

Also, if it covers when amiibo were first released, then surely it would not be a "made up answer". It'd be a semi-outdated one (though still valid as it is still 3-5 months), but certainly not made up.

I know, I'll get you a dictionary for Christmas. :)

You're still talking pony. It was 3 months from the get go and if anything the production times should get shorter with improvements in quality control. Anyone with an ounce of sense can clearly see you're wrong. Also, grasping? No. Attacking? Hardly.

You're still talking pony. It was 3 months from the get go and if anything the production times should get shorter with improvements in quality control. Anyone with an ounce of sense can clearly see you're wrong. Also, grasping? No. Attacking? Hardly.

If you say so. This seems to be another one of the times, like last time, where I've proven you wrong, you continue to go on the attacking claiming I'm wrong despite evidence to the contrary, before you give up and go home.

Why don't you just do that early?

Just information wise as i'm not really sure of the argument or who this information will benefit - frankly it give ammunition to both sides of this gang bang argument

I used to collect Masters of the Universe Classics (a collectable action figure line) who had similar Amiibo like popularity/stock problems

The claimed it took around 6 to 9 months for a new for a fully sculpted figure (12 months including producing the prototype) to be produced and on sale; this included sourcing plastics, deciding on base colours, producing master moulds, production runs, hand painting and packaging, shipping etc.

When popularity hit and stock shortages caused the fanbase to turn on Mattel, they began reruns of items, which apartently took between 3 and 6 months to be produced and go on sale, this was quicker than normal as they already had mast moulds and logistics in place to source plastics etc etc so could slot in a limited rerun between runs of new product

That pretty much held true, but on odd occasions they didn't rerun figures and delayed sales of stock for various business decisions that basically boiled down to scheduling - (having them compete against new lines or tailoring which days would be big sale days so as to pre plan)

I expect Nintendo are in a similar boat to this, they already will have moulds for the Amiibo's so it would be a short run and lead in period compared to new amiibo's; so a 3 to 5 months turnaround seems plausible

Mattel and Nintendo are on par size wise, but with Nintendo surely at a disadvantage with production contacts....

Still given popularity they should have a rerun produced or very nearly produced by now...unless due to scheduling of factories i.e. producing new amiibo runs was given precedence, or they are holding restocks back until they've ironed out with retailers supply problems i.e localised sales to prevent Ameriqueens buying all stock

The Problem With Nintendo's Amiibo Supply Situation - NVC Podcast

Give it a short while and you know who will be here doing you know what. This video is from 3 of amiibos biggest fans. Jose is on the verge of giving up on them. And I'm sure Peer and Brian have contacts that help them out which Brian alluded too. They're professional journalists that have to be reserved in their response. I'd say off camera they'd be a lot more damning. Their was more talk as well about amiibo towards the end of the NVC which you'll find in the Wii U general discussion thread.

The Problem With Nintendo's Amiibo Supply Situation - NVC Podcast

Give it a short while and you know who will be here doing you know what. This video is from 3 of amiibos biggest fans. Jose is on the verge of giving up on them. And I'm sure Peer and Brian have contacts that help them out which Brian alluded too. They're professional journalists that have to be reserved in their response. I'd say off camera they'd be a lot more damning. Their was more talk as well about amiibo towards the end of the NVC which you'll find in the Wii U general discussion thread.

Was this part of the podcast episode? I'm only halfway through it and will just listen to it on there if it's taken from there.

So far, Peer has brought up the supply situation a number of times during the episode. He kept having a dig where ever possible. :D

This is a portion of the last NVC.

Cheers.

I guess it's in the second half of the show then. I'll listen to it on the drive home from work.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that there isn't an issue. What I have been saying is that, knowing production length and so forth, it's not an easy a fix as people are insisting it should be.

It's easy to say that it should be fixed, and complain when it hasn't yet, but any plans they put forth shortly after launch are only just going to start to show fruit.

I think next month will be a good indicator as to how things will play out. If earlier waves aren't restocked ( worldwide, not just Japan ) in May then it will be beyond a joke at that point.

I think next month will be a good indicator as to how things will play out. If earlier waves aren't restocked ( worldwide, not just Japan ) in May then it will be beyond a joke at that point.

Totally agree

Nintendo clearly have something special on their hands here, for the people who love them I mean. And they are in danger of fucking it up. Nintendo need to be putting their arms tightly around their fans as much as possible, but they're doing all they can to push people further away.

And however much people on here defend their bonkers decisions from a personal, subjective standpoint, just think of a broader perspective, and see how much damage they are causing to themselves.

Edited by dazzybee

Bloody hell. That's pricey. I know it's a special one and all, but still off-putting. May just get the one in the bundle. I kinda wanted the blue one.