N-Europe

Virtual Reality

Daft

I received RIGS as a Christmas present and yeah... it makes me feel really really sick. I only played it for thirty minutes as well. Even though it's been ten minutes since I finished playing I still feel dodgy. I don't think I'm suited for seated VR games.

In other news, I've been playing Arizona Sunshine and it's really good. It's the first VR game, that I've played, that actually feels like a proper game. If you have a HTC Vive, I really recommend it.

I received RIGS as a Christmas present and yeah... it makes me feel really really sick. I only played it for thirty minutes as well. Even though it's been ten minutes since I finished playing I still feel dodgy. I don't think I'm suited for seated VR games.

In other news, I've been playing Arizona Sunshine and it's really good. It's the first VR game, that I've played, that actually feels like a proper game. If you have a HTC Vive, I really recommend it.

Don't let Rigs define how much you can handle in VR. Rigs still makes me a bit queasy but I can cope with all the other PSVR games I've tried (most released thus far.)

Rigs is one of the worst for nausea, alongside Scavenger's Odyssey on VR Worlds.

Edited by somme

Has anyone of you tried Elite Dangerous with VR googles? I've been playing a lot recently with my Oculus Rift DK2, and holy balls its an amazing experience. It really does make you feel like you're there! It made me believe enough in VR to sell my DK2 and buy a proper Oculus Rift CV1. So it's in the mail, and it will be arriving in a few days time. Really looking forward to testing it out, and especially now as more and more games get official and unofficial mods that allow VR support.

.....now, if only DoA: Xtreme 3 came out to PC with VR support..... hue hue hue

Why would you choose OR over Vive? Genuine question.

It sounds like Oculus Touch is a better experience than the Vive wands and at least for now Oculus are still getting exclusive games to play.

For myself though I am happy with my Vive over Oculus choice. I prefer having my stuff in the Steam ecosystem and I think Oculus are still too closed off.

Why would you choose OR over Vive? Genuine question.

After looking into a heap of updated reviews (after the Touch controllers were released) there seem to be a bigger reason to choose the Oculus over the Vive. Mainly because of the exclusives and the better Oculus touch controllers. The screens and comfort are supposed to be a bit better on the Rift aswell.

But that is only part of the reason. I can't afford a Vive atm, and Oculus has built-in headphones. Yes, it might sound stupid, but to have yet another wire aswell as the whole VR-google is a hassle. So, I'll enjoy the seated experience until I get the Oculus Touch sometime in march or so :). I dont have the required space for the proper Vive-experience until March anyways, so that's kinda what won me over to the Oculus side.

And also the fact that I've been using the DK2, so I have an account I'd like to be able to use in the Oculus store :).

Shame interest in VR seems to have fallen off a cliff. Really needs a killer game.
I don't agree that it's fallen off a cliff. VR's still climbing.

None of the VR consoles had huge hype around them at their launches and I think purposefully so and for good reason. The excitement is still there for VR because every week there's a new type of gameplay experience coming to them, unlike in the mainstream console market which is far more oversaturated.

Heck, I was just watching Easy Allies VR stream from the other day and got excited for the first game they streamed - Vanishing Realms - 3mins in.

I got massive Nightmare vibes - that old 90's TV show. Finally we're getting chances to go on a quest and explore living worlds. Where a game like this could be in two years time has me hyped!

I'd much prefer smaller inventive titles than big budget AAA titles that for the next few years at least would be far better suited to a home console anyway.

Of course more killer aps would help. But people bought a Wii and played nothing but Wii Sports for the rest of the consoles life. If I had VR I'd be loving trying out new experiences every week. I think affordability is the problem for VR, not killer aps.

Edited by Retro_Link

Shame interest in VR seems to have fallen off a cliff. Really needs a killer game.

This is untrue.

And those who own VR understand that you don't need fully-fledged "killer apps" to have fun in VR. Shorter, more affordable titles are certainly the way to go at the moment.

Even the most mundane 2D game, is amazing in VR.

Right now you could put the next COD game exclusively on VR and it would have little impact because of the cost of entry.

VR needs to focus on finding ways to get more people hands on with it. More partnerships, more bundles.

That, and a couple more years to get costs down.

I just mean that after the initial buzz no one is really talking about it much anymore, at least in the mainstream media and no impressive looking games are on the horizon for it. PSVR seems to have bombed hard in terms of sales as well, and that seemed like it would be the highest selling of the three.

Earlier this year, research group SuperData put out a report that estimated that PlayStation VR sales would reach 2.6 million units sold by the end of 2016. Now, the firm has updated that figure substantially downward. The company is expecting PlayStation VR sales to be less than 750,000 for the year, down significantly from the previous forecast.

It's not just Sony's headset that SuperData is updating its sales expectations for, as its estimates for Google's Daydream is now 261,000 (down from 450,000). Projections for other leading headsets, including HTC Vive (450,000), Oculus Rift (355,000), and Gear VR (2.3 million) have not changed. Overall, SuperData is predicting that the VR market will be the "biggest loser" of holiday 2016 when it comes to gaming, according to GI.biz.

But yeah, give it a few years to get the costs down like you say @Retro_Link and it'll stand a better chance.

I just mean that after the initial buzz no one is really talking about it much anymore, at least in the mainstream media and no impressive looking games are on the horizon for it. PSVR seems to have bombed hard in terms of sales as well, and that seemed like it would be the highest selling of the three.

But yeah, give it a few years to get the costs down like you say @Retro_Link and it'll stand a better chance.

I don't know how you can say it has bombed hard when PSVR has been completely sold out here for a while now, so it's not like it could be selling more even if the demand was there. Those original figures also sounded very optimistic given the cost of entry.

If anything VR couldn't be receiving more mainstream attention if it tried. Watching BBC's CES 2017 coverage, VR seems to be everywhere and you can tell it's a real crowd pleaser. Given time the devices should become more affordable.

Where are you getting these buzz figures from? I read that VR had 2.4 times the amount of buzz that the Switch has.

Also, pretty much every electronics manufacturer is coming out with their own headset now, which will only add competition and bring prices down.

Virtual Reality is science fiction that is becoming a reality. It's one of the many directions that the industry is taking and whether it flies off the shelves now, or two years time, or after that, it's here to stay.

I'm finding myself becoming really fascinated with the idea. I will be hopping on board the PSVR train at some point this year.

Yeah, PSVR can't sell any more at the moment because the second batch of visors isn't being released until later in the month. It's been sold out since very shortly after launch.

And there are "no impressive looking games on the horizon" for you.

I still think until it's figured out properly then the smaller games and experiences are the way to go anyway. I was watching @Goafer play Rec Room on my Vive over Christmas and it looked great fun (especially when he realised the mic in the headset had been on the entire time).

One thing I'll say about VR communities as well, they seem a lot more toxic than most gaming ones. I figure it must be the cost involved so if you are paying that much money then you aren't there to cause trouble etc.

PSVR using the move controllers seemed both really smart and really short sited. On the one hand it allows them to use pre existing technology which allows people to use tech they have already bought but unfortunately it also limits them in what they can do with VR. PSVR is a good product but it's still easily the worst of the major 3. I just hope at some point they fix the drift issue as I would never buy that headset knowing that was still a problem.

Depends on how well the developers have incorporated it into their games. Several PSVR titles have perfect tracking.

Yeah the Playstation Move controllers work quite well considering they're 'ancient' in the tech world.

I have issues with the PSVR tracking in general, but nothing specific to the Move controllers.

On a controller-related note I'm a bit gutted that HTC didn't show off the new Vive controllers at CES. The current Vive controllers are fine but you still have the sensation of holding something. The new ones are attached to your hand so you can have an open palm.

I considered getting PSVR, but I really want them to bring out a better control scheme that rivals Oculus touch or the Vive thingies. Playstation Move is lame.

And ridiculously expensive. I almost bought a PSVR a couple of times but knowing I'd have to source two overpriced Move controllers to get the most out of it actually stopped me.

I'd love to get a PSVR but there's just nothing that interests me whatsoever in terms of games. Everything out at the moment just screams gimmick, the sorts of games you'll play once then never go back to. The only thing that's tempting is the X-Wing VR mission from Battlefront but even that's not enough to spend hundreds of quid on the headset + the overpriced Move controllers. Definitely something to get into in a few years (if gaming in VR actually takes off)