NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Got promoted to manager yesterday! Three years of long hours and personal sacrifices have now finally paid off. :yay:

• Like 5

Just had an 1 on 1 meeting about the new £8.50 per a hour contact and like other colleagues, I said nah, I'm gonna stick with the original contract. It's not worth the extra 50+ quids to my wage slips if I'm gonna lost the bank holidays, gaining more random overtime shifts each weeks, etc. Also I asked them if they will increase the money if the government raised the minimum wage, they yet got the answer for it but said they probably will do that... 

Unfortunately for the new colleagues after this October cos they will put on this new contract they have no chance to opt out! 

I had another interview today and it went a lot better than the ones I had last week, I also much prefer the look of this job so I'm hoping I get it. 

They're doing interviews until Friday so I'll have to wait a while to find out!

On 6/24/2017 at 6:31 PM, Zell said:

Got promoted to manager yesterday! Three years of long hours and personal sacrifices have now finally paid off. :yay:

I just realised that I drunkenly stole your thunder when you were telling us that on OW the other evening. Congrats :blush::D

• Like 1

I got contacted on LinkedIn last week by a manager in my organisation that had found me and wanted me to join a very important project. I went to an informal coffee meeting with him Monday and it's really interesting. Rather than using PL/1 and Cobol, working with older colleagues and such, I would enter a more modern IT development environment with younger people, C# as a programming language, and the job would in a higher degree utilize my competences within mathematics and software engineering than my current position. Careerwise it would be stupid not to apply for this job so I've decided to do that even though it might mean periods with more hours which is bad timing as I'm about to get my first child within a month or so.

So now it's all about keeping this secret to my current manager - I have a meeting with her in a week to find out what to do with me in the future! 

Mecca's schedule is breaking my balls. It's annoying that due to bugger all happening in the middle of the day that you waste the whole day doing one day's shift. Take the Monday just gone. I did 11.00 - 3.45. Then came back to do 6.00 - 10.00. That's 11 hours of the day gone for just under 9 hours.

On the plus side I have an interview tomorrow for a legal secretary job. The agency said that since I am new-ish to the job I would "only" be eligible for £17-18k a year. As if it wasn't over double my yearly wages for over a decade. It is in Leicester however, which without checking for train deals would cost about £500 a year in travel costs. A small price to pay. So get your fingers and your anuses crossed for me!

• Like 3

Hey all, out of interest are there any other people working in field sales here?

Hey all, out of interest are there any other people working in field sales here?

As in, you sell fields?
  • Like 2

Well sadly the crossing of fingers and anuses for the Leicester job did not pan out, as they offered the job to someone more experienced, as is per custom. I don't know how legal staff will exist if they never hire new peeps.

Anyways, had another interview at a solicitors in Nottingham which I think went well. Did some audio typing which I really shoulda brushed up beforehand, but I think I did alright. Did semi-begging at the end, saying that I knew I was new to the game but take a chance on me. A new approach, shall see if it works. during said audio typing test my phone went off, luckily it was on vibrate but annoyed me a little. Voicemail afterwards revealed it was my old friends Capital One Promotions wanting me to get in touch with them. They must've forgotten I've done this dance with them before. Naturally I shall not be returning their call.

9 hours ago, bob said:

As in, you sell fields?

As in you work as an external salesperson 😂😂😂

In a weird limbo at work at the moment. We've just finsihed for the summer so there's never a massive amount for me to do but as I'm switching job roles at the beginning of August I dont really have work to do for either job at the moment. For now I'm just browsing the internet and listening to podcasts!

• Like 1

3* interviews over the past week or so, 3 rejections. Two of them were in Leicester so pissed away monies on train fares. Once again lack of experience fucking me in the ass.

*Technically 2, one was an open day with about 10 other people and after about 4 hours people were selected to stay for an interview. Which I failed because I wasn't that confident during a debate, and some other bullshit.

33 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Two of them were in Leicester so pissed away monies on train fares.

Didn't they cover your travel expenses? I'd ask them to if they haven't.

I've been back in the UK since September looking for a job around Manchester and had no luck. I've had pretty good offers in London and Newcastle for Russian speaking roles and English teaching (TEFL) roles respectively, but didn't take them as they all wanted me to start too soon and didn't offer me any incentive to lose money on my flat or relocate, plus I would've had no time to help find my GF a new place to live. I've been working as a waiter since I came back and while the work is dull, it pays pretty well. I'm on 20k+ and only doing ~30 hours a week. Taking a full time 9-5 job for less than 20k that has proved tricky, especially when you factor in travel time in Greater Manchester, which is its own special hell in that regard. I've lacked the motivation to start from the bottom somewhere and get paid even less money for more hours of work...

So, end of August I'm going back to Russia. Provisionally for 18 months, at least until my GF finishes her Master's. My new boss has offered me a 20% pay increase on what I was earning a couple of years ago and he's putting me forward for an IELTS co-coordinator role, which means I'll be doing speaking tests in IELTS exams as well as grading papers at the St. Petersburg centre. Best part about that is it pays in sterling and you're technically employed by the British Council, so it's a foot in the door. Next Summer I'll probably try and do a DELTA course somewhere, which should open a few more doors with regard to employability, as I'll be able to train perspective English teacher trainees, hopefully after that I should be able to take a job and settle in a location of my choosing. I had planned on going to Japan for a year, but after weighing up the pros and cons with Russia, I wouldn't be able to do much development in Japan, where as in Russia I already have all the contacts, private students etc, so I can focus on development and fit classes around that. In Japan it would have been the other way around.

In all honesty, this year in the UK has been miserable. I've applied for over 250 jobs, I've had replies from less than a quarter and interviews with single digits. I really tried to make a go of it again here, but I'm on the brink of giving up for good, and once I leave for Russia, I doubt I'll ever come back. Post-Brexit Britain is a weird place that is almost unrecognizable from the place I left in 2012. 

• Like 1

he's putting me forward for an IELTS co-coordinator role, which means I'll be doing speaking tests in IELTS exams as well as grading papers at the St. Petersburg centre.

I took the IELTS exam last October. Absolutely nailed it.
*brushes imaginary dust off shoulder

Just informed of my £18 a month pay increase, which if you take out the pension and tax contributions works out at around £12.

Yeah, got to bless the 1% pay cap.

• Like 1

Been at a work conference for the last few days.  Was...fine.  As far as these things go anyway.  They did announce they're changing/replacing the software with something else and kind of suggested that the majority of the people in the room would no longer be needed.  It was an interesting way to go about things.

Still, was nice catching up with some former colleagues and to use the pool every day.

Why people are still buying hard copies of news articles in this amazing era known as the Digital Age?

Anyway our newspapers supplier usually provides the store a free massive bundle of strings so we can tying the old newspapers and returning them back to the supplier to recycle them. However they neglected to informs that they are no longer provides the store a bundle of strings for free anymore and we have to getting it from a consumable store from onward. For past 3+ weeks, other colleagues and me got annoyed with this colleague since she is responsible for the newspaper & magazines because she told us that she contacted them twice but they haven't told her about the changes. A section leader or a manager recently got involved after we complained about it to them and got the update from the supplier... :| 

Edited by DriftKaiser
  • Like 1

As part of my role change/promotion next year, I'm going to be mentoring and training up one of our newly qualified teachers. It was a bit of a ball-ache actually getting myself registered as the NQT co-ordinator as there's this website and database that you need to access. I didn't have the login details, so had to email our Headteacher and ask for it...and he didn't have it either. Basically, the last NQT at the school was me and the person/people (and Head) who trained me up have all left. So, I had to ring up a couple of places to get them deleted off the list and for me to get added.

In September, I'm going to attend a course in London to help me learn the processes that we need to follow to train up NQTs. Should be useful, hopefully. Responsibillliiiiitiiiiiieesssss.

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

In September, I'm going to attend a course in London to help me learn the processes that we need to follow to train up NQTs. Should be useful, hopefully. Responsibillliiiiitiiiiiieesssss.

You better hit me up while you're here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You better hit me up while you're here.

It's at a hotel in the London Euston area. Is that your neck of the woods? Course runs from 9:30 to 3:30-ish. Not yet sure what I'm going to do with trains back.

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's at a hotel in the London Euston area. Is that your neck of the woods? Course runs from 9:30 to 3:30-ish. Not yet sure what I'm going to do with trains back.

I can certainly get there.  Book a late train.  Never leave meeeeee.

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I can certainly get there.  Book a late train.  Never leave meeeeee.

I'll have a look at train times later on. I'll go for a late one. ;)

• Like 1

That useless section leader just made a right cock up with the rota again. Instead of working with other 3 colleagues for 6 hours like we does every Saturday, it's just me on tonight and they want me to working 4 comps, two pallets from yesterday's deliveries, splitting the tonight's deliveries and doing the paper returns/CSD returns myself! 😑  Also that useless section leader won't stay until 10pm to help me with the workload and she constantly asking me to do simple things which she can doing herself.