NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

My old project was based in St Paul's and the lunch options were spectacular. So much choice. I would also buy a ridiculous amount of half price Itsu whenever I worked late.

Current project is in West London and the food options aren't so great. I'm already getting bored of Tesco sandwiches, not sure how I'm going to cope for another six months [/firstworldproblems].

I really want some half price Itsu when I'm in London but I don't want to work late in order to get it...

Had my end of year review today, and got a 10% raise.

Then got called in 10 mins later and told by the boss that he feels like this was wrong and I should be getting a 12% raise instead.

Which was nice.

I kinda have a new job. I did my usual routine of finding legal jobs online and firing out CVs. Got a call from one asking for an interview which I went to on Monday. Was technically given the wrong address - it's on the same location as the one they gave but it a different street.

Anyways, the place looked a mess. The carpet into their office was worn and the offices weren't put together. Think later seasons of The Good Wife but with less people. I found a room with 3 people in who seemed surprised to see me. They later said it was being refurbished which I thought they must be a recruitment firm as they surely wouldn't have a need for a lititgation assistant here? Interview consisted of taking them through my CV, which they had already, which was my old one. I brought a new one but they didn't ask for it. A little legal quiz on paper and one of those "what is the next in the pattern" test things (I hate them, guessed so many)

Callback the next day saying I got a conditional offer and with the 1 weeks notice stated I could start next Tuesday. They mentioned my references and mentioned my former manager as my recent employer (the one who shopped me) which I was quick to correct I had a new employer. Emailed them my updated CV and mentioned that I'd be away next Thursday for a gathering and they can ring my reference and confirm I had booked it off.

No reply yet, but something about this company is putting me at unease...

He's Scottish...

Scottish AND I don't get a lunch allowance when work make me travel. It's a joke. I normally* make lunch at home to save money when I'm in at my usual office but I can't do this in London so have to spend money out of pocket.

*Once in a blue moon, but at least I have the option.

@EEVILMURRAY: I can't remember how long it's been but so far, the job is going great, haha.

Just to update you all, my job is going awesome but there has been some weird times too. One of the assistants tried to make me look very bad so I'd lose my job and she'd be promoted (which would never have happened because she was honestly terrible at being keyholder). Needless to say, she got caught and has been given the boot and my name has been cleared.

Other than her, my team are amazing people and I'm not just saying it. For instance, the anniversary of my Grandad's death is tomorrow and they let me have a bake sale in the shop for Marie Curie hospice, who looked after him and myself for two months. I raised £61 through cakes and my workplace all chipped in and put an extra £50 to the pot! So now I'm going to go to visit the hospice tomorrow with £111. The generosity and sense of family there is awesome.

@EEVILMURRAY: I can't remember how long it's been but so far, the job is going great, haha.

Muddafucka... How many more job offers have you had? :santa:

Following on from this...

I kinda have a new job. I did my usual routine of finding legal jobs online and firing out CVs. Got a call from one asking for an interview which I went to on Monday. Was technically given the wrong address - it's on the same location as the one they gave but it a different street.

Anyways, the place looked a mess. The carpet into their office was worn and the offices weren't put together. Think later seasons of The Good Wife but with less people. I found a room with 3 people in who seemed surprised to see me. They later said it was being refurbished which I thought they must be a recruitment firm as they surely wouldn't have a need for a lititgation assistant here? Interview consisted of taking them through my CV, which they had already, which was my old one. I brought a new one but they didn't ask for it. A little legal quiz on paper and one of those "what is the next in the pattern" test things (I hate them, guessed so many)

Callback the next day saying I got a conditional offer and with the 1 weeks notice stated I could start next Tuesday. They mentioned my references and mentioned my former manager as my recent employer (the one who shopped me) which I was quick to correct I had a new employer. Emailed them my updated CV and mentioned that I'd be away next Thursday for a gathering and they can ring my reference and confirm I had booked it off.

No reply yet, but something about this company is putting me at unease...

It seems, seems, that the company that hired us was a recruitment thing hiring for this firm which is opening an office here in Nottingham, it still doesn't look that tidy yet but the short induction bit yesterday seemed legit. I almost kept nodding off during the end because I was ill as fuck the night before, shitting every hour and almost vomiting, which led to some self-induced purging in the morning, stuff was black as oil. I don't eat oil. Anyways, had about 12 hours sleep now so feeling more refreshed.

Two weeks induction followed by six month temping at this firm which could lead to permanent. If anything I can say I've gotten experience, so here's hoping!

I don't eat oil.

Mate, you're missing out. The cruder the better. Mmmmmmm.

My Visa for Singapore was approved today. So, now I have to get everything finished up here in Tokyo and prepare to move over there sometime in the New Year. Should be easy...

I've been trying to write a draft letter to send to my boss to ask for a pay raise... I'm finding this really difficult! It's difficult to prove that I have improved a lot as I don't have any targets or benchmarks or anything... So my bullet points all just sound a bit silly.

Anyway, trying to figure out what to ask for. Do I ask for a specific percentage raise (10%)? Or give him a range (10-12%)? Or set a new salary?

I don't want to seem greedy, but I do believe 10% is the minimum I should get (that's £1875 extra). But I feel that my boss will most likely not go that high. :/

Have you looked to see how much other companies are paying for the same role?

EDIT: Salary.com seem to think the general payrise percentage is between 1 and 5%

Nearly two weeks into training at the new job, all seems well so far. Only wrankle is that the other training group we came in with have been wiped out for a week and a half by Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease (not dangerous but very unpleasant and extremely contagious - they've literally had to tape off the room they were training in) so now we're all losing sleep over how run-down we should be feeling.

Have you looked to see how much other companies are paying for the same role?

EDIT: Salary.com seem to think the general payrise percentage is between 1 and 5%

Thing is my role is a very unique one, so I can't really find figures for it anywhere.

I've been looking at graphic design roles in the area (which I guess is the closest to what I do, sort of...) and they range from 18,000 to 25,000 (the 18,000 one being a junior role). As I'm on 18,750 right now and have worked there since May 2014, I feel that I should be earning at least 20,000.

That sounds perfectly reasonable for a skilled, high demand job.

Start high and be ready to compromise. Maybe add a few more percentage points and start with that.

Thing is my role is a very unique one, so I can't really find figures for it anywhere.

I've been looking at graphic design roles in the area (which I guess is the closest to what I do, sort of...) and they range from 18,000 to 25,000 (the 18,000 one being a junior role). As I'm on 18,750 right now and have worked there since May 2014, I feel that I should be earning at least 20,000.

I would go high to leave room in case they want to negotiate. As long as you can show that whatever you're asking for isn't a pisstake (ie. show salaries for the same job/experience level in other companies) then I don't see the problem.

I'd give a salary. Saying you want x% pay rise just sounds like you want a pay rise. But saying you wank £x sounds like you're giving yourself a value/worth. Also in percentage terms 10% is a large pay rise. But if it's not that much in actual money then it may sounds more palatable.

That's my opinion anyway.

Either definitely go in above what you actually want, as they'll most likely give a counter offer.

I'd give a salary. Saying you want x% pay rise just sounds like you want a pay rise. But saying you wank £x sounds like you're giving yourself a value/worth. Also in percentage terms 10% is a large pay rise. But if it's not that much in actual money then it may sounds more palatable.

That's my opinion anyway.

Either definitely go in above what you actually want, as they'll most likely give a counter offer.

Heh Heh Heh

Handed in my notice today, due to the way the holidays fall my last day in the office is next Tuesday with pay through to the end of January. Not a bad result at all.

Work sent me on a first aid course, so I'm now a qualified first aider. Not all heroes wear capes...

...or trousers.