NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Exciting times Jim! Gotta keep moving forwards, not backwards. Upwards, not forwards. And always twirling... twirling... twirling towards freedom!

So the bar I've been working in is being taken over. Gonna need to find myself a new job... probably another bar job, but eventually I'd like to find something different - charity fundraising perhaps.

For now, does anyone have a good CV template they'd recommend? I haven't updated mine in a good while and would like something pro looking/stand out.

There are those Go Sumo CV templates - do employees look fondly on those do you think, or are they a bit... try hard?

CV-Template-Vienna-Gr-300x433.png

I don't know about the other designs they have, but that one looks pretentious as fuck.

Called it right on my interview though. As soon as they handed me the clipboard I challenged them and walked out. Check my Facebook for a shaky phone vid of me in action, a non-sexual one for a change.

I'd agree on that CV template, I'd probably reject that one straight away. There's nothing in the job part about what they've been doing/achieving, the skills part is based on what and against what objectives? For me it's too much of a pretty template with no substance whatsoever.

If I've got one piece of advice with a CV, lead with your skills and use your experience as evidence (as opposed to experience > skills). I've noticed a wider range of employers seem to react more positively if you can be specific and upfront with your aptitudes rather than general work history, especially if you haven't already worked a job similar to what you're applying for.

Edited by gaggle64

Exciting times Jim! Gotta keep moving forwards, not backwards. Upwards, not forwards. And always twirling... twirling... twirling towards freedom!

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't get the reference until I searched eet up:

:D

So the bar I've been working in is being taken over. Gonna need to find myself a new job... probably another bar job, but eventually I'd like to find something different - charity fundraising perhaps.

For now, does anyone have a good CV template they'd recommend? I haven't updated mine in a good while and would like something pro looking/stand out.

There are those Go Sumo CV templates - do employees look fondly on those do you think, or are they a bit... try hard?

The first thing that came to mind when I saw that CV was that it reminded me of a restaurant menu. The "grading" is a bit strange with the stars and the "good" "excellent" comments. It's one of those CVs that looks impressive from a distance but very empty the more you look at it.

There are some things that I do quite like about it. The contact details are there and the sections are clearly defined. Visually, it looks clean and quite interesting at a first glance. I don't think employers just quickly browse over CVs, though.

It's a tricky one. Coming from a teaching background, the application (notably the two page supporting statement within it) is regarded as the criteria that you're primarily judged on and the CV is almost a borderline supplement. I'd say that it depends on the job you're going for. If all of your skills and achievements are listed on the application form, do you necessarily need them in as equal depth on the CV, too? I'd still personally like them in more depth than is shown on that example, though.

I've always been told the simpler the CV the better, usually no more than two pages. Also Memes. Employers love it when you cover it in Internet Memes.

I think it depends on the role. For something more creative/designey then you need to design a good looking CV that shows off those skills (and usually its for formality's sake as you'd link to a portolio) but anything else I'd stick with something more plain.

I've always been told the simpler the CV the better, usually no more than two pages. Also Memes. Employers love it when you cover it in Internet Memes.

That CV is poor. The skills section reminds me of web templates for design agencies that grade their skill. Wtf?

&330 it simple. Name and contact details at top. Paragraph for personal profile, skills in bullet points (2 columns of 4 or 5). Then relevant experience below. I think the 2 pages thing is rubbish if you're applying for a job that requires experience. Make it as long as necessary as long as it is all relevant. Mine comes close to 4 pages these days but it's full to the brim of relevant experience from jobs. I change this experience depending on what the role I'm applying for is.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll share it with you if you like. You can steal the template if nothing else.

If I got a CV of four pages I'd think the candidate didn't know how to pull out the important/relevant experiences for the role and so had just listed everything for me to search through for them. If there wasn't something incredibly amazing at first glance I wouldn't bother reading any more of it.

Yeah I tend to prefer lighter ones. But then we also got a 10 page print out of the online part they have to fill out anyway at my last job so usually the CV was more to have a glance over than to really critique.

I think all CVs should come as scrolls and should list every single thing that you can do.

I think all CVs should come as scrolls and should list every single thing that you can do.

With a little poof of confetti and a fanfare when opened.

Alright, got a job offer which I'll be able to sign off on by Tuesday once they've done their background checks. Will remain anxious until then.

With a little poof of confetti and a fanfare when opened.

Maybe a Town Crier, too. Or a barbershop quartet.

Maybe a Town Crier, too. Or a barbershop quartet.

Presented to the employer on a little velvet cushion.

Presented to the employer on a little velvet cushion.

Under a large marquee, with tea lights, candles and scones.

I hope everyone else is taking notes, because we've just nailed CVs.

I've been doing the Prince Ali parade routine for my CV, you think I've been going a little overboard?

If I got a CV of four pages I'd think the candidate didn't know how to pull out the important/relevant experiences for the role and so had just listed everything for me to search through for them. If there wasn't something incredibly amazing at first glance I wouldn't bother reading any more of it.

Maybe people don't get to the bottom of it but the fact remains that it works very well for me. I almost always get calls back from the recruitment agents who I need to apply for jobs through.

When my CV gets submitted to the client I almost always get interviews.

It's actually only 3 pages and a paragraph. I probably could take parts of it out but a lot of the experience going back 5 years is relevant to what I do now.

Of course it won't be the same for every situation, and it will depend on what you do as to how things become "standard" for these kind of things. For my line of work I'd say it would be rare for someone to have three pages worth of relevant and differing experience to make a CV with. I've also gotten used to American style single page resumes so I guess that doesn't help my attention span with these things.

I agreed to work full-time for a month from mid-November (although probably try and stretch it until the Christmas break as it makes sense) thinking it would be some extra money, but just realised that now that I'm a temp I wouldn't be getting paid over the closure days like I used to so the extra money I'm earning is actually just covering that gap. Swings and roundabouts :heh:

Today was unexpected.

Last week, I sent off applications for two different jobs and joined a teaching agency. I let my HeadTeacher know that I had applied for other jobs because it would have been fucking awkward had he received an email or letter asking for references and I hadn't given him a heads-up beforehand. So, we had a meeting and he told me that I'm definitely a big part of his plans, but he hasn't had anything finalised yet and it may not be for some time.

Fast forward to today, I check my emails at 10-ish to find that I'm being asked to go to an interview. The job is for a Year 5/6 Phase Leader, which is virtually the job that I'm doing at the moment but currently without the job title and without the pay attached to it. The downside is that it's in Southampton, which is a bit of a drive away. Again, I had to go and tell the HeadTeacher and request/notify that I would be having time off. We had another chat again and he again reiterated the same stuff we talked about yesterday.

Throughout the day, I passed on the news to my friends at work and received a whole range of responses. Some wished me the best of luck, some were genuinely gutted, one or two looked very tearful and another one was angry that I'd been placed in this situation in the first place.

The fucking plot-twist is that the other school I applied for got back to me just as I was packing up and have invited me for an interview, too! This is completely different to my situation when I first started out teaching. I must have sent out 40 applications in Wales and got nothing back exception 2 rejection letters. In England, I sent off 2 at the start of my career and received an interview for both, where I obtained a job in one of them. Again, I've sent off two applications and received an interview in both. So...I'm able to get interviews in England. Somehow.

I've got a lot of things going on in my mind now. So many choices and decisions to make. I'm obviously going to both interviews, because it would be fucking stupid not to go. There's also a hidden choice where I keep looking until I find an even better job because a bigger role may come up, since I am able to at least be somewhat successful in getting the interviews in the first place, which is half of the battle.

Part of me is fucking annoyed by the whole thing. Why are certain people who I work with allowed to be lazy and receive credit/promotions, yet I have to go through all of this crap?