NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service closing down for Nintendo DS, DSi and Wii software

Almost nobody does though. Sony outsource their servers for PSN too (they use the same supplier as Nintendo do for the Nintendo Network supposedly...)

Where are you getting this information? I had a look but couldn't find anything to say that nearly all of Sony's dedicated servers were outsourced/rented. Not talking about the odd few mind you.

Seems like the kind of thing that for really big titles like MK you might host your own server for that so this sort of thing can't happen (and develop an infrastructure that allows you to do that).

This is a really annoying piece of news.

Pokemon Black/White 2 only came out October 2012. That's not even two years.

Also means that people who buy the DS Layton games now will be unable to download the extra puzzles. I'm sure there are other examples of this.

Or you could not care about random people on the internet...

It's hard when they're crapping up your Facebook page with it.

Check it.

I have also received e-mails regarding it. It's my duty as owner of the top Pokémon fansite to help clear up misinformation and misunderstanding about this.

Where are you getting this information? I had a look but couldn't find anything to say that nearly all of Sony's dedicated servers were outsourced/rented. Not talking about the odd few mind you.

Seems like the kind of thing that for really big titles like MK you might host your own server for that so this sort of thing can't happen (and develop an infrastructure that allows you to do that).

GameSpy actually run a lot of the PS3's servers, if memory serves.

Wikipedia agrees.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Under GameSpy on Wiki it says they have for PS3 but nothing suggests this is the norm, unless someone can find the link.

Also, from the sounds of things this Nintendo WFC is all or nothing. If GameSpy just host some for PS3 then that's a totally different thing.

It's hard when they're shitting up your Facebook page with it.

Check it.

Well, we're talking about Pokémon fans here. :p

Post a news story and associated social media sources and let it be. I think you make your own life worse suffering fools.

So, if I'm correct, Serebii's line is basically 'Please understand' because we shouldn't blame Nintendo for not having the foresight to deal with a situation like this or when they got into it in the first place?

I don't understand how it can come about that they can be so dependant on something/someone else for their online infrastructure to work. Like I actually do not understand this.

So, if I'm correct, Serebii's line is basically 'Please understand' because we shouldn't blame Nintendo for not having the foresight to deal with a situation like this or when they got into it in the first place?

I don't understand how it can come about that they can be so dependant on something/someone else for their online infrastructure to work. Like I actually do not understand this.

If @Dcubed is right and they are completely unable to shift netcode over to other servers and everything, then yes Nintendo messed up, and they messed up bad.

Edited by Serebii

And so who's fault is that? It seemed as if you were trying to defend this; but the blame is still at their door.

I'm thinking more of the casual families who play Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports/Fit... more likely they have a 360 in the family as well now as they've grown up, and aren't about to rush out and buy a Wii U.
I see.

Those casual families are much more likely to play local multiplayer rather than online though I reckon, in which case many of them wouldn't even notice Wi-Fi Connection being shut down.

And it's surprising that hardcore gamers are kicking up a fuss about this, as I'd have thought they would've moved on to either Xbox/PS or Wii U a long time ago anyway. ::shrug:

It kind of seems like people just wanting something purely because it's going to be taken away. :indeed:

Yeah, post lifespan is the real measure. During lifetime support is guaranteed so shouldn't really factor in, so saying 'total length of time service ran' is a bit of a meaningless statistic (it's strongly influenced by the length of the generation).

Indeed. What else is an interesting/important measure - The Wii was technically part of the 360/PS3 generation. The 360 was out before it, the PS3 was out around the same time as it(few months later for PS3 in EU tho).

However - which ones are still going to be receiving online support in June of this year? Maybe for even longer to come? ;)

I see.

Those casual families are much more likely to play local multiplayer rather than online though I reckon, in which case many of them wouldn't even notice Wi-Fi Connection being shut down.

And it's surprising that hardcore gamers are kicking up a fuss about this, as I'd have thought they would've moved on to either Xbox/PS or Wii U a long time ago anyway. ::shrug:

It kind of seems like people just wanting something purely because it's going to be taken away. :indeed:

Yeah true. And you're right, not like we can change it now anyway.

I was gonna maybe give Mario Kart a go online, but I'll just have to start with Mario Kart 8 :)

And so who's fault is that? It seemed as if you were trying to defend this; but the blame is still at their door.

I'm not defending this, but I can see why it's happening.

There's a difference between understanding and trying to share the reasoning and liking it & defending it.

Someone mentioned it on GAF a whiles back, I can't find it right now though... Either way, not all games run on the same set of servers on PSN anyway as they can (and have been) shut down individually anyway.

Nintendo mention that they use Amazon Web Services in the Streetpass Relay Points Iwata Asks, but Miiverse and their online games must run on different servers because they weren't affected by the Xmas downtime last year.

I know that Xbox Live on 360 all runs on the one set of Microsoft owned servers though (except for EA's games) and the Xbox One's servers all run off Microsoft's Azure Cloud servers...

Not certain about how Nintendo's ones are set up though... I hope that they've learnt their lesson about tying themselves down to the one supplier after this!

Here's hoping that they'll replace the Gamespy/Glu Mobile owned network stack with the new Nintendo Network one when the DS and Wii games hit the VC! (They can't patch the games now, but once the VC comes around; that'll be a very different story - it would be a significant selling point too!)

Edited by Dcubed

Looks like I'll never be able to get Borya's Boots in Dragon Quest IX and complete the last Quest (although I can't pretend I've tried for a few years). Not that I blame Nintendo - it's just a bad idea to have content that you can't access offline. I tried for ages when I was still playing it, but they never became available in the daily shop.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've never liked online gaming and I think having games rely on servers is a terrible idea, hence my dislike of the decision to make DQ X an MMO.

If I'm right, you should have 1 more chance starting 12th April. It should be "Guest Guys' Gear Week 2" that week.

If I'm right, you should have 1 more chance starting 12th April. It should be "Guest Guys' Gear Week 2" that week.

Right, the challenge is on! Thanks very much for that!

It would seem the possibility of private servers is slim to none, though I've heard some rumblings about a work around possible being available for flashcart users.

This is rubbish and nothing like the original Xbox Live situation. For one, whilst they're not exactly incredibly popular, Nintendo still sell NEW Wii games such as Mario Kart and Boom Street, so surely after May, having 'Nintendo Wi-Fi connection' on the box would be misleading the consumer. How is it even legal for them to promote online on the box when it's not actually an option?

If they were no longer selling them new then I could understand, even if it is a bit pre-mature. It makes me worry about the Wii U, too. I bet a few months after the release of their next console, Miiverse will be completely dead on the platform and all the online ga... oh wait, I guess not many games are online anyway :p

I realised after my last few posts - why are we even comparing the Wii to the original Xbox? They are technically a generation apart; though if we wanna say they're not then I guess that solidifies the idea that the Wii U is last gen? :p

The fact is - the Wii was in the PS360 generation - why is it that no ones questioning why Wii support is dropped so soon in that context when it's not for the others? Looking at it like that, calling it an absolute fucking joke is still quite an understatement.

I bet a few months after the release of their next console, Miiverse will be completely dead on the platform and all the online ga... oh wait,
Nintendo have incredible foresight don't they! :p

Make no games online for the Wii U so you don't disappoint anyone when you close it down.

For one, whilst they're not exactly incredibly popular, Nintendo still sell NEW Wii games such as Mario Kart and Boom Street, so surely after May, having 'Nintendo Wi-Fi connection' on the box would be misleading the consumer. How is it even legal for them to promote online on the box when it's not actually an option?

A few places (like Zavvi) are still selling new copies of the PS3 game MAG, which is an online-only game with shut-down servers (meaning you can't play any part of the game).

That doesn't really make it any better :/ But I see your point, Nintendo aren't the only ones doing it and seemingly they can just leave it on the box.