NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service closing down for Nintendo DS, DSi and Wii software

I wonder if anyone will try and stay online like that chap did with Halo 2. Didn't he stay online for a month after the servers went off?

I don't know if that's possible. I remember being turfed off Monster Hunter 3 when the servers shut down. It brought you back to the mode screen. Truly sad day that was.

I loved Blops as well but after the last hacker, I just said f### it and never went back. Some people are such @R$€HOLES. He hacked my account because I didn't accept his ally request. Never talked to him before, didn't know him at all, just some randomer. After talking to him, he at least hacked to give me some half decent weapons but all my perks, stats, prestige levels(I was top prestige level), everything was gone.

The thing I want to do most right now is play Mario Kart Wii online. I always want the things I can't have.

I wonder if anyone will try and stay online like that chap did with Halo 2. Didn't he stay online for a month after the servers went off?

There is some effort on the Pokemon front (4th Gen only apparently), but there seems to have been a snag in the plan.

Basically, you needed to have a certain DNS server fetch your Nintendo Wifi Connection profile from the server before it got pulled down. This is so the private server can recognise you, have your friend list and online data intact.

Because the servers are now shut, to connect to these private servers (should they appear), you will need to start your games from scratch. Well, that's how I understand it.

Goldeneye 007 is still working online.

The non-Nintendo games seem fine as some publishers set up new servers. Apparently Capcom are doing the same for that fighting game that they released too.

The non-Nintendo games seem fine as some publishers set up new servers. Apparently Capcom are doing the same for that fighting game that they released too.

It's strange that most people (including myself for a while) thought that by the 20th May everything was switched off. Even Nintendo states from their website that Goldeneye 007 was switched off 2 days ago.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/en/games-wifi.jsp

Edited by sumo73

Wait, surely this isn't true as the software is hard-coded to seek the GameSpy network?

But if it is true, what's to stop Nintendo from doing the same? Or am I confused things by assuming everything is on the GameSpy network?

Wait, surely this isn't true as the software is hard-coded to seek the GameSpy network?

But if it is true, what's to stop Nintendo from doing the same? Or am I confused things by assuming everything is on the GameSpy network?

I was listening to IGNs Nintendo podcast yesterday and they had a guy on the show who used to work for Gamespy. He said they are a few companies sorting out their games so they can still be played online, so I guess it can be done with a bit of time and effort.

Another interesting thing came up in this podcast. He said that they had a meeting with Nintendo about Mario Kart DS. On one side of the table were the Mario Kart developers, the other side the Nintendo Wifi team and in the middle the Gamespy guys.

A guy on the Mario Kart side said they wanted to be able to see who was online, have a single code Friend Code for all the DS games, send invites, see what your friend was playing and be able to join a friends game. Then a guy on the Wifi team started yelling at him in Japanese and the two sides argued for 10mins while the Gamespy team just sat there.

We know who won that argument but it's interesting to see that there are people within Nintendo who do get online gaming but are being held back by others, probably the old guard.

Another story he told was how Monster Hunter nearly fried the servers due to how popular it was and that was before it launched in the west!

He also mentioned when he first met Nintendo, the old guy who was making the decisions for Nintendo was essentially asleep when Gamespy were discussing how the system and online works. Sounds about about.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

As time goes on I'm slowly starting to view Nintendo with the same kind of affection I'd usually reserve for crappy movies.

So bad and ridiculous it actually becomes weirdly entertaining.

Edited by Guy

I was listening to IGNs Nintendo podcast yesterday and they had a guy on the show who used to work for Gamespy. He said they are a few companies sorting out their games so they can still be played online, so I guess it can be done with a bit of time and effort.

Another interesting thing came up in this podcast. He said that they had a meeting with Nintendo about Mario Kart DS. On one side of the table were the Mario Kart developers, the other side the Nintendo Wifi team and in the middle the Gamespy guys.

A guy on the Mario Kart side said they wanted to be able to see who was online, have a single code Friend Code for all the DS games, send invites, see what your friend was playing and be able to join a friends game. Then a guy on the Wifi team started yelling at him in Japanese and the two sides argued for 10mins while the Gamespy team just sat there.

We know who won that argument but it's interesting to see that there are people within Nintendo who do get online gaming but are being held back by others, probably the old guard.

Another story he told was how Monster Hunter nearly fried the servers due to how popular it was and that was before it launched in the west!

He also mentioned when he first met Nintendo, the old guy who was making the decisions for Nintendo was essentially asleep when Gamespy were discussing how the system and online works. Sounds about about.

I had a listen to that podcast this morning after reading this post. It was really interesting what he said about working with Nintendo back then. I remember the 'Iwata asks' Mario Kart Wii and Hideki Konno expressed some frustration at how Mario Kart DS's online had turned out in that game. I guess this could have been what he was talking about.

Here's a link to it, it anyone else wants a listen. Nintendo voice chat

Edited by Helmsly