NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service closing down for Nintendo DS, DSi and Wii software

I play Just Dance 2014 on the Wii, will this affect that as well? :(

That doesn't really make it any better :/ But I see your point, Nintendo aren't the only ones doing it and seemingly they can just leave it on the box.

Sony probably stopped producing the game ages ago. So either the retailers don't know, or they don't care.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/games-wifi.jsp

It doesn't appear to be on that list.

It might be a good idea to have a few tournaments of games such as Mario Kart Wii, Goldeneye, Pro Evolution Soccer and Mario Strikers: Charged Football before we can't.. :heh:

No it wont affect you because this shutdown will only affect online play/leaderboards/free DLC functionality. Paid DLC systems run off the same server as the Wii Shop Channel and since that's staying online (and almost certainly will do indefinitely), Just Dance won't be affected.

Edited by Dcubed

Yes it will affect you. The list only mentions 1st party titles, but this shutdown will affect every single online game ever released for the Wii and DS (with the sole exception of Dragon Quest X in Japan, since that runs on Square-Enix's own servers)

The link I posted has loads of third party titles.

The link I posted has loads of third party titles.

Yeah I goofed. Forgot that Just Dance just uses online for DLC (which isn't affected) :blush:

@Animal

Just Dance isn't on the list so hopefully that's still playable! I know the DLC will still be available but I'm not sure about the World Dance Floor! Here's hoping!

Ladies and gentlemen. We have our 100% concrete reason

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/

Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy.

If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game’s publisher for more information.

Thanks for a great ride!

GameSpy are shutting it all down. That's why Nintendo had to take them down. They had no choice in the matter.

Edited by Serebii

Hopefully the 3DS's or Wii U's online doesn't entirely depend on someone else's system.

Hopefully the 3DS's or Wii U's online doesn't entirely depend on someone else's system.

Near as I can tell, it's all on Amazon's cloud...just like everything else is these days. Unlikely to go down any time soon.

I don't understand this. Why can't they host the servers somewhere else? Seems bananas that they didn't have a contingency for if a single company hosting servers shut down.

I don't understand this. Why can't they host the servers somewhere else? Seems bananas that they didn't have a contingency for if a single company hosting servers shut down.

From what I was given to understand, the contract Nintendo had with GameSpy precludes the use of the netcode on other servers.

So GameSpy could have shut down 4 years in and...no Wii online for the existing games for the remaining 3-4 years of the Wii's life?

Will be sad to see it go but I don't see how it would effect me because the games that I do play on wii and the ds don't depend on online play.

So GameSpy could have shut down 4 years in and...no Wii online for the existing games for the remaining 3-4 years of the Wii's life?

Scary thought, isn't it.

Yup, all because Nintendo couldn't patch their games to work on a different set of servers (though if it came to that back then, they probably would've bought them out to keep all the games running). That decision to not have an underlying OS running while playing games really bit them in the arse last gen (it also made it more or less impossible to stop the onslaught of piracy that plagued those systems as well...)

Thankfully that's not a problem for 3DS and Wii U games, since all of their online stuff is abstracted by the OS and games can be patched as necessary. Just gotta hope that Nintendo replace the WFC code with a Nintendo Network stack when it comes to the VC releases...

If I'm right, you should have 1 more chance starting 12th April. It should be "Guest Guys' Gear Week 2" that week.

@Grazza Just a reminder about the above.

Unfortunately I'm not far enough into the game to get Wifi gear :( Only just got to Stornway.

Guess I should probably dig out my copy of Jam with the Band and download some more tunes before it's too late... :hehe:

@Grazza Just a reminder about the above.

Whoa, that's very kind of you. Got 'em yesterday, thanks. 100% Quests completed - can't believe I started playing it in 2010! I really wonder if there will again be anything that grips me like Dragon Quest IX. It's only my 2nd-favourite DQ, but there was something special about the way the community on here went through it together.

Glad you managed to 100% the game in time. I knew the date was coming up. :p

Whoa, that's very kind of you. Got 'em yesterday, thanks. 100% Quests completed - can't believe I started playing it in 2010! I really wonder if there will again be anything that grips me like Dragon Quest IX. It's only my 2nd-favourite DQ, but there was something special about the way the community on here went through it together.

Just imagine if we get DQX, questing together properly...

Well, I was playing Mario Kart Wii the past week or so, just to play online before it all gets shut down and last night My Wii broke down and stopped working :(

Well, I was playing Mario Kart Wii the past week or so, just to play online before it all gets shut down and last night My Wii broke down and stopped working :(

You Wii knows what is going to happen. It's lost the will.

1 day to go, my friends.

?ACT=28&f=.1.jpg&fid=30&d=14555

:p