NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service closing down for Nintendo DS, DSi and Wii software

Never thought I would say this but Nintendo I hate you , lost some respect for you today .

I think we need to give mario kart wii a send off before 8 is out , play all 32 tracks in order league members assemble ?

Come on. While it may seem a bit premature, all online capable games go through this. It's not Nintendo being stupid, it's a fact of the industry that at a certain point, the expenditure for the servers (especially if the price is jacked up) is no longer justified due to distinct lack of activity.

Didn't think they'd shut down the Wii/DS online servers so soon, there was me thinking they'd stay open longer due to the Wii still being a popular console. Sucks though, but things have to end sooner or later really.

Come on. While it may seem a bit premature, all online capable games go through this.

Well I think you just touched on why he's annoyed there. It's very premature.

That's insane that the whole thing is coming down, I'm actually really surprised Black and White 2 are also affected. I guess Nintendo are just using everything at their dispoal to force players still content with older systems to upgrade, though if they haven't upgraded at this point all ready they're probably not interested in the slightest.

To expand that a little bit;

Original Live lifespan (Nov 2002-April 2010, 7 years 5 months)

Xbox Launch- Nov 2001 NA / Mar 2002 EU - launched 1 year/8 months into life.

360 Launch - Nov 2005 NA / Dec 2005 EU 4 years 5 months (4 years 4 months)

Nintendo WFC lifespan (Nov 2005-May 2014, 8 years 6 months)

DS Launch – Nov 2004 NA / Mar 2005 EU - launched 1 year/1 year 4 months into life)

3DS Launch – Mar 2011 NA/ Mar 2011 EU 3 years 2 months

Wii Launch – Nov 2006 NA / Dec 2006 EU 7 years 6 months (7 years 5 months)

Wii U Launch – Nov 2012 NA / Nov 2012 EU 1 year 6 months

So noticeably shorter post-support in Nintendo's case(which is different as it was across DS AND Wii, not just the one area, though Wii's time equals the original Xbox). However I think post Wii U lifespan is most important. Important in itself anyway, but even more so given how poorly the Wii U is generally doing - there's no doubt a lot of people who haven't transitioned and are now left without any online for their systems. Will this cause a push to Wii U upgrades? Probably not. If anything it might even hurt them - as someone said; how long will their wii u online remain for? It's just another facet of Nintendo's continually sub-par online efforts imo.

Yeah, post lifespan is the real measure. During lifetime support is guaranteed so shouldn't really factor in, so saying 'total length of time service ran' is a bit of a meaningless statistic (it's strongly influenced by the length of the generation).

Thinking about it, can't really remember the last time i used the Nintendo Wifi to play Smash Brothers online?.

I feel it's slightly odd, since Microsoft continued to support online for certain Xbox games for years after the console went out of production.

That being said, I only played my Wii online a few times. For me, consoles are local experiences.

Looks like I'll never be able to get Borya's Boots in Dragon Quest IX and complete the last Quest (although I can't pretend I've tried for a few years). Not that I blame Nintendo - it's just a bad idea to have content that you can't access offline. I tried for ages when I was still playing it, but they never became available in the daily shop.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've never liked online gaming and I think having games rely on servers is a terrible idea, hence my dislike of the decision to make DQ X an MMO.

Thinking about it, can't really remember the last time i used the Nintendo Wifi to play Smash Brothers online?.

Well, that might be because it was bloody shit. :p

That's insane that the whole thing is coming down, I'm actually really surprised Black and White 2 are also affected. I guess Nintendo are just using everything at their dispoal to force players still content with older systems to upgrade, though if they haven't upgraded at this point all ready they're probably not interested in the slightest.

From the look of it, it's them cutting off ties with GameSpy's new overlords, and thus everything is going. It's not them picking and choosing.

Yeah but I bet loads of people still like playing MK Wii, a lot of which I bet don't really want to get the Wii U.

Yeah I was playing MKWii just a week ago for a good 3 - 4 hours, not once did I have trouble finding a game.

Well, that might be because it was bloody shit. :p

That is indeed true, bloody hated playing people online with that particular game. Lag, lag, lag.

From the look of it, it's them cutting off ties with GameSpy's new overlords, and thus everything is going. It's not them picking and choosing.

If it was purely them cutting off ties to the new administration, they would merely host the servers elsewhere. All it would take is release instructing people to manually alter their connection settings to connect to the new DNS

I think in the long run, people will just open up their own private servers. Stuff like PokeCheck have their own servers that interact with DS games, so I wouldn't be too surprised if more support popped up.

If it was purely them cutting off ties to the new administration, they would merely host the servers elsewhere. All it would take is release instructing people to manually alter their connection settings to connect to the new DNS

I think in the long run, people will just open up their own private servers. Stuff like PokeCheck have their own servers that interact with DS games, so I wouldn't be too surprised if more support popped up.

But for increasingly diminishing activity, is it really worth it? Face it, outside of Pokémon, Mario Kart and Smash Bros, how many of the games were running empty servers?

But for increasingly diminishing activity, is it really worth it? Face it, outside of Pokémon, Mario Kart and Smash Bros, how many of the games were running empty servers?

Run the server at a decreased capability. Nintendo are so far behind with online that they really need to give consumers confidence by any means possible.

Run the server at a decreased capability. Nintendo are so far behind with online that they really need to give consumers confidence by any means possible.

But, if @Dcubed is right and Gamespy's new overlords are fucking with prices and screwing companies, then is it really worth it? The Nintendo WFC is an all or nothing affair. They can't just turn off all but 5 games.

I'm just surprised Nintendo feel they can afford to piss people off right now.

At least wait until the end of the year when Mario Kart 8 and Smash are out so people have an alternative.

Why send people off to spend more time online on their 360/PS3?

But, if @Dcubed is right and Gamespy's new overlords are fucking with prices and screwing companies, then is it really worth it? The Nintendo WFC is an all or nothing affair. They can't just turn off all but 5 games.

They could find another home for it.

Why send people off to spend more time online on their 360/PS3?
Pretty sure they're trying to send people off to buy/spend more time online on the 3DS and Wii U actually, but never mind. :heh:

Did a lot of people on here still regularly play DS and Wii online then? :blank: I'm pretty surprised by that if so.

Last time I did was a bit of MK and Smash around 2 years ago. :hmm:

Pretty sure they're trying to send people off to buy/spend more time online on the 3DS and Wii U actually, but never mind. :heh:
I'm thinking more of the casual families who play Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports/Fit... more likely they have a 360 in the family as well now as they've grown up, and aren't about to rush out and buy a Wii U.

They could find another home for it.

Apparently they've made their tech proprietary and refuse to license it out, so they CAN'T migrate...

So this all comes down to 'Nintendo should have developed their own online infrastructure' right?

Oh. Well... They could make Boom Street Wii U then :p

Or you know, get Squeenix to.

So this all comes down to 'Nintendo should have developed their own online infrastructure' right?

Almost nobody does though. Sony outsource their servers for PSN too (they use the same supplier as Nintendo do for the Nintendo Network supposedly...)

The eShop utilises Amazon's Cloud servers as well...

Hopefully they'll be able to actually migrate them if necessary this time...

Edited by Dcubed

Apparently they've made their tech proprietary and refuse to license it out, so they CAN'T migrate...

We really need to make this known more. I've fielded hundreds of questions about this today. It has given me a massive headache.

Some keep thinking Pokémon Bank is affected by this. :/