Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation/Xbox/PC Bargains

Retro_Link

Do you guys think the 1TB hard drive console would be sufficient enough, or are you still quite likely to want to upgrade it? I know file sizes seem to be getting bigger and bigger all the time, but I don't know how big we're talking for owning a decent amount of games.

I'd go with a 2TB drive. That's what I went for and it's put me in good stead, so far.

Imo, 1TB isn't enough. I actually think 2TB should be standard, but that's just me.

Semi but I can't lie - Splatoon has me super hooked(90+ hrs) and its update is coming this week; I just feel like there's lots on the PS4 that looks interesting and cool and that I'd get it eventually. I look at it as I did the WiiU - buying it for a good price earlier than I might otherwise still makes sense if I'm going to get it down the line eventually.

Having said that, I still have a WiiU backlog I should tackle, and about 50 PS3 games I got for a bargain with a PS3 a year or two ago - so I've technically got lots to keep me going but I'm just looking at that much greener grass on your side of the fence ;)

However with the online/social aspects though it makes more sense for me to get on it now whilst everyone else is, as you mention - so I'm beginning to be at the point of dithering.

Have a look at what's out there for the system atm and see if it's something you think you'll enjoy. To me, £299 was good value for money and I've definitely got the playtime out of it to warrant that cost. If you feel content with the current/previous gen systems, then maybe stick with those until you see a price that absolutely grabs you or a bundle that does that. I was definitely ready for a new console.

Do you have PS+? If you do, purchase the PS4 games now so that you'll have a good backlog when it comes to getting one. My PS3 and Vita backlog is bigger than my WiiU and 3DS one. I don't own a PS3 or Vita. :D

It doesn't appeal to my eyes.. and I'm definitely not one of the cool kids :heh:

I assumed you meant brutal as in amazing, too.

"That tackle was brutal."

"Bloodborne is brutal."

etc

Do you have PS+? If you do, purchase the PS4 games now so that you'll have a good backlog when it comes to getting one. My PS3 and Vita backlog is bigger than my WiiU and 3DS one. I don't own a PS3 or Vita. :D

I do not - though I was wondering how cheap one can manage that for? Also quite surprised you don't have a PS3! What's the deal with vita/PS4??

I think I'll stick for now until I can get a bit of extra monies, but I'll keep my eye open for what's about. Tbh I couldn't exactly say what about the ps4 appeals to me, just that I keep seeing little tidbits that make me think 'I wish I was a part of that' sort of thing.

As for the model/drive sizes - is it that economical buying a 1TB over a 500GB model? Was just thinking might be cheaper/easier to get your own larger drive and change it yourself these days. Had a quick look on ShopTo and in my head I felt the price was a bit of a jump - though I've no notion of HDD prices atm so I don't know why!

In my neck of the woods, brutal definitely doesn't mean amazing :heh:

To clear up any doubt, I don't like the look of that PS4 :grin:

Ah, you Irish with your funny usage of words. :p

I do not - though I was wondering how cheap one can manage that for? Also quite surprised you don't have a PS3! What's the deal with vita/PS4??

You can get deals for PS+ for somewhere between the 30 and 40 quid mark. Think I paid about £34 for my last subscription. It covers all three systems. So, for example, you pay that price and you can download six games a month. Usually it's two for each system. Cross-buy is quite a regular thing now, so I'm frequently getting three or even four PS4 games a month, as there's a fair few games that work between PS4/VITA or PS3/PS4 or across all three.

I was going to buy Rocket League at full price anyway. :D

I keep pondering over whether to get a PS3 or not. I want one, because there's still a fair few games I want to go back and play. Ni No Kuni is one of them. But, I dunno whether I could handle another system right now.

I think I'll stick for now until I can get a bit of extra monies, but I'll keep my eye open for what's about. Tbh I couldn't exactly say what about the ps4 appeals to me, just that I keep seeing little tidbits that make me think 'I wish I was a part of that' sort of thing.

As for the model/drive sizes - is it that economical buying a 1TB over a 500GB model? Was just thinking might be cheaper/easier to get your own larger drive and change it yourself these days. Had a quick look on ShopTo and in my head I felt the price was a bit of a jump - though I've no notion of HDD prices atm so I don't know why!

I don't actually know what the price differences are between the 500GB and 1TB model, mainly because I don't need a system. Imo, you'd be better off taking the 500GB and upgrading the HDD. That's what I would suggest. I used a voucher for Amazon and got a 2TB HDD for about £30 or £40, or something like that.

Others may say that 1TB is enough. I dunno. Personally, I like the reassurance of knowing I won't need to delete anything anytime soon.

I keep pondering over whether to get a PS3 or not. I want one, because there's still a fair few games I want to go back and play. Ni No Kuni is one of them. But, I dunno whether I could handle another system right now.

Y'kno, if the postage wasn't gonna make it an absolute arse I'd offer you the spare I got with all them games, think it's a 320 slim (though I never actually checked but the guy who sold it works for my trust, and I later discovered with my dad no less) and it looked pretty good nick to me. It would however be padless, as I've nicked that :p

I don't actually know what the price differences are between the 500GB and 1TB model, mainly because I don't need a system. Imo, you'd be better off taking the 500GB and upgrading the HDD. That's what I would suggest. I used a voucher for Amazon and got a 2TB HDD for about £30 or £40, or something like that.

Others may say that 1TB is enough. I dunno. Personally, I like the reassurance of knowing I won't need to delete anything anytime soon.

Yeah that was my thinking - don't know what drives they use by default but a quick look on eBuyer's prices earlier made me think the same.

Where did you get that info from? I looked at the reviews on Simply Games and they didn't mention it there.

If it's all clear, then it would be a price to purchase it.

Read it in the comments on HotUKDeals. I wouldn't have even thought about that personally.

It's completely down to luck whether you get a louder PS4 or not, and apparently the variable fan noise continues to be an issue even with the newer model.

There was a topic about it on Neogaf recently and it seems the majority of systems out there get extra noisy when playing certain games. ::shrug:

I realised recently that I always wear my gold headset so I don't even notice if my PS4 is loud or not :p
Yeah, I normally use either headphones or surround sound, it's on the rare occasions when listening via my TV's crappy speakers (and only on games like Metal Gear and Rocket League) that I really notice the increased fan noise. :hehe:

Read it in the comments on HotUKDeals. I wouldn't have even thought about that personally.

I think (like @RedShell) mentioned, it's down to what game you're playing. I think Rocket League even did it a few times to me, but apparently there's some sort of patch that's come out that's fixed it. I don't actually know, I use Spotify when Rocket Leaguing, so I guess it can't be that bad.

I think (like @RedShell) mentioned, it's down to what game you're playing. I think Rocket League even did it a few times to me, but apparently there's some sort of patch that's come out that's fixed it. I don't actually know, I use Spotify when Rocket Leaguing, so I guess it can't be that bad.
The patch fixed the problem of the fan going nuts on the title screen, yeah. Still quite noisy during gameplay, but that's understandable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't be the only one around here that gets Tesco clubcard vouchers. I bought a £35 and £25 psn card for £27 worth of clubcard vouchers during the clubcard boost where they're worth double. I have a Tesco credit card that I use to make all my purchases, pay it off at the end of the week. Double points on anything spent in Tesco, and every fourth pound spent on anything else gives you a clubcard point too. No fees, nothing lost, everyone should be doing this... or some other credit card reward system. Basically feels like I got £60 of psn credit for nothing.

Play.com are doing 20x superpoints today only - that's apparently like 20% back in points! Admittedly to a max of £50 but that's still crazy. Almost...ALMOST making me wish I'd waited for my PS4! Mental deal. If I hadn't just bought it I'd probably have caved today!

Haven't checked all the small print so advise doing so - I can't quite believe the deal! EDIT: Looks like one catch is the points must be redeemed by end of October.

(in other news I've totally just taken the day off work to play ps4 all day)

Edited by Rummy

• 2 weeks later...

Groupon are currently doing a '£20 to get £40 of credit to use at Very.co.uk' voucher

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/very-1?

(sign up with a new account)

I just used it to get 12months PS Plus for £23.99 (sells for £40 + 3.99 postage)

But you could also use it on the likes of...

Dualshock 4

Battlefront

Uncharted Collection

Uncharted 4

Just Cause 3

Fallout 4

2x £25 PSN cards

etc... etc...

Edited by Retro_Link