NEurope
The Peeps

Xpert 11 Season 29: The Game of Goals

It is a shame there is so much negativity at the moment :( (I am not having a go either just making an observation)

After Champions League could be a case of Peeps thinking about formats for the future. Maybe a big league with all of us that want to play might be the best or cutting it down to two leagues and keeping a smaller group.

I have a few ideas of exciting mini games to play next season, at this point though it will be a select few playing them hahaha

Still the league started with 16 I think so keeping 30 was always punching way above our weight really.

We could probably cut down to two divisions of 12 or three of 8/9 depending on how many teams quit. I'm in a couple of other leagues where it's three divisions of 8 and it's quite a good pace.

Champions League

As most of you know, next season we will be changing format to a champions league. This will work in groups and we'll have four. Two will have 8 teams and two will have 7 teams (unless by some miracle we can reach 32 teams and have 8-8-8-8). The top teams from each group (either a total of 8 or 16) will qualify for a straight knockout and the winner of the knockout gets the trophy.

For the teams that do not qualify we will probably run a small friendly cup to run alongside until the end of the season. For anyone worried about DV, this will not be an issue. The knockout stages are outside of the system's 'season' and is considered bonus DV. This is an excellent incentive to push your teams to do well but if you don't make it to the knockout stages, you won't miss out on any DV that you would normally gain within a season.

After season 30 we might keep the format for a few seasons or we could revert back to three divisions (or less if teams quit). It depends on what you guys want :) Either way, it will be a bit of a shake-up as the league won't revert back exactly to how it is now. Your placements for the new season are always based on where you end up in the previous season, even across league formats.

The knockout stages are a single leg played on neutral ground. This means home advantage won't factor in so it will come down to your own skill and tactics.

I really hope these changes will rekindle some competitiveness in the teams that are considering leaving but even if you want a break from Xpert for a while, please always know that you can jump straight back in with a new team as we'll always be open for you guys!

(@ReZourceman your team has been accepted)

Team Development:

Also for anyone developing a team (and two both our newbies @Blade and ReZ) one of the most important rules in xpert now is the average age rule:

When selecting your line-up, you will see you have average ages for each position. This rule has no effect on line-ups with an average age of between 25-29. If you deviate above or below that, your team will perform less well and you will gain less match experience (meaning less development value points) from the match.

Average age / Performance

20 / 80%

25 / 99%

29 / 99%

33 / 80%

Average age / Assimilation of match experience

20 / 80%

25 / 99%

29 / 99%

33 / 80%

It used to be viable to create a whole team of youths and work up with them but it's not really the case anymore. You really need a mix of old and young players so purchasing players 26-30 is just as important as purchasing youths. Of course, the youths are the ones you need to develop so the focus should be on them.

Starting out now, I'd look for cheaper old players to boost the average age and work on developing youth players to around 24 before buying in new youths.

Edited by The Peeps
Automerged Doublepost

I'd like to see how just 2 bigger leagues go. I think it'd make more teams more competitive quicker.

Oh and of course the cup is on again when this season ends on Tuesday. We will have a break of one match day and the cup will start on Tuesday 21st.

If you would like to join in the cup, please post here or in the official press release on xpert.

Cup Participants:

Lylat Wanderers

Coloccini FC

Edited by The Peeps

I hate adding on to the negativity but after the Champions League season I'll be evaluating whether I'll be staying on.

I feel I'm no longer able to put in the time to find players/develop a squad as well as having to remind myself to set tactics for each game. That said, it would be a shame to throw away the work I have put in so far so maybe some changes to the format could reignite my enthusiasm (maybe even changing the match days to Wednesday/Saturday or Thursday/Sunday?).

An idea I've just thought of (since it looks like we aren't doing forum awards this year) is to have our own annual Xpert Awards. At the moment we only seem to record/remember the league and cup winners and I think it would be nice to honour other teams. It might encourage people to try a bit harder if there was some fictional internet trophy involved. Categories I'm thinking of are:

-Team/Manager of the Year

-New Team of the Year

-Most Improved Team

-Most Exciting Team

-Underdogs of the Year

-Clubman (i.e. which manager has made the most positive contribution to the NE League in terms of regular posts, reports, press releases, recruitment etc.)

-Most Memorable Moment

If everyone else thinks this is a good idea, then I don't mind organising this.

An idea I've just thought of (since it looks like we aren't doing forum awards this year) is to have our own annual Xpert Awards. At the moment we only seem to record/remember the league and cup winners and I think it would be nice to honour other teams. It might encourage people to try a bit harder if there was some fictional internet trophy involved. Categories I'm thinking of are:

-Team/Manager of the Year

-New Team of the Year

-Most Improved Team

-Most Exciting Team

-Underdogs of the Year

-Clubman (i.e. which manager has made the most positive contribution to the NE League in terms of regular posts, reports, press releases, recruitment etc.)

-Most Memorable Moment

If everyone else thinks this is a good idea, then I don't mind organising this.

That sounds great it's not having stuff like this that I think made this season a bit dull. I am well up for doing joint reports with dan and whoever else is up for that. Interviews were also fun back a few seasons ago. :grin:

Interviews were also fun back a few seasons ago. :grin:

I'll do interviews again next season! Wanted to give it a few seasons before I did it again to wait for a more topics of conversation to arise as I found I was running out of things to ask people and didn't want it to become too samey!

I'll do interviews again next season! Wanted to give it a few seasons before I did it again to wait for a more topics of conversation to arise as I found I was running out of things to ask people and didn't want it to become too samey!

Sweet! Take it you are up for the cup? What's happened to mattitude he's done a runner!

I think this is my first post in this thread. Don't think I've posted at all this season.

I'll be entering my team for the Champions League competition thing that we have next season, but I'll be calling it a day after that. (only staying to make the numbers easier for next season) The magic disappeared at some point last season and it hasn't come back. Even when I've been winning games, it didn't at any point feel exciting or worthwhile. It's a shame. Training/Playing with a young team in particular is a very long and tedious process.

If anyone wants to take over the DRAGOOOOO mantle, let me know. It's a good team and there are some good younger players.

That is a right old shame. Glad you're in for the cup. Having started about the same time, I still consider you my main rival (enjoyed this season a lot even with you lack of forum presence)

In reference to Maddog's suggestion - I'd argue against bigger leagues because

a) It would mean less chance of upsets - positions tend to even out according to skill over the season. I feel like shorter seasons (or cups) are more unpredicatable in terms of placing so it isn't just, whoever's had their xpert team for longer wins and

b) developing a squad takes long enough as it is. 8 seasons in and I feel like it'll still be a season or two before I can challenge for top of N-E. With mega long seasons it would be even more tedious than flink describes.

I wouldn't mind reverting to 7-7-7 or something if we had less players after the cup format finishes. Short seasons, slightly quicker development, less dull-ish midtable games.

@Haden - i was thinking for my match reports I might do, rather than match reports, something akin to the guardian website's '10 talking points from the weekend' thing, ie below http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/13/premier-league-10-talking-points-gerrard

Also possibly the roundtable-pundit thing I suggested with three or four of us for the knockout stages?

To add in some positivity - I've enjoyed this season more than any for a while, largely because my team is finaallyy hitting a peak of sorts. Also, bought in Zell's Director of football a couple seasons back (or, copied his transfer policy - spent big on Ozil-esque skillfull mid twenties players). Been good.

Me and Fed in for the cup (didnt think there would be one given next seaosn will initself be a cup, but still up for it).

2nd! Pretty happy with this season it was obvious quite soon that Winston were to good for any other team and are deserved champions. However after a very bad start it seemed I wouldn't be able to get into the top 3 to make it to 2nd is something I am really proud of, my devs look great and I am deffo aiming for knockout stages in the CL and from there who knows!

This season has been one for the dominant champion, Tales, Winston and Grant won their leagues with hardly any losses in fact I think Russian revolution was unbeaten. We'll done guys!

Good season for me, besides winning the title I achieved four personal records, the most wins in a season, most points gained, least goals conceded and largest goal difference. Also won three of four awards, points, assists and X11. Should give me one million in rewards if I remember correctly.

Change report will be amazing too.

I'm in for the cup :D

When will we have the change report thing?

The season officially ends tomorrow, so Friday morning? Despite having gone through this countless times, I am never sure when the change report comes :p

Edited by Tales
Automerged Doublepost

Really looking forward to it. I feel like my team is coming tigether quite well and I'm getting to grips with balancing development and results. Although league position wasn't too important, I'd set myself a goal to at least not get relegated while giving my youth plenty of game time. Bearing that in mind, I enjoyed my last match against MOT as the winner would 'escape relegation'.

I think additional end of season awards is a great idea to get people more involved.

Just realised that the season has ended. The last month my assistant manager has been doing my team for me (on my request) with 50/50 dev/result. Haven't done that well! I'm hoping to get back into it next season.

Cup Participants:

Lylat Wanderers

Coloccini FC

Winston Gardens FC

The Roger Federer Crew

bob

AFC Dedede

Hadens Legends

The Familia FC

Atlético Aqui1a

Leeds M.O.T

Russian Revolution

Yellow Submarine

DuDs Baggies

Dragooooo

The Cup will take place on the 21st. I will draw the teams on the 17th

The Change Report will be at 4am UK time - 16/01/14 (Thursday morning).

There is still time to join the cup. Please post here, PM me or reply to the PR on xpert :p

Edited by The Peeps

Ended the season with 6 wins and a draw! Pretty impressed with myself :D Im in for the cup :p

Sweet! Take it you are up for the cup? What's happened to mattitude he's done a runner!

I'll take part in the cup!

The Mattitude has lost his way and is forgetting to log in even after bi-weekly reminder texts. I stopped bothering since before Xmas as his season was a lost cause by then anyway but will try again once the change report is in and see if he wants to do the cup while I'm at in. Will report back...