NEurope
Charlie

Would you wear a Smart Watch?

Samsung have just announced that they are going to unveil a smart watch, the Galaxy Gear during an event in September. It will be a 'connected device' that presumably means it links up to an existing Android (or perhaps Samsung) device.

From my quick Google, no one is particularly sure what exactly it will do but I would imagine that apart from telling the time you would be able to read emails/texts and view who is calling you.

Disregarding cost and assuming it does have the features I listed above, would you wear one?

Personally, I think the features would be beneficial to me, being able to glance at texts and emails during work hours without having to bring my phone out would be very useful. If there was anything important to deal with I could see straight away.

However, I don't think that it would look very professional. My office isn't the most professional as it is in terms of dress but I think this could be a step too far. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to meet a client whislt wearing something like this. It wouldn't really give of the best image.

I almost backed the "Pebble" smartwatch that was Kickstarted so yeah I expect I would. Im glad I didnt get that particular one though as from what ive heard since people got theirs, its not great.

Nope. Watch is for time telling and cooking times. That is all.

"You keep looking at your watch Johnson, do you have somewhere else to be? am I boring you?"

"No sir, I'm just looking at my emails and texts discreetly, but I am rather bored."

You can tell a lot about a person by their watch. I don't think that's true, tbh. So not a high chance in Hell will I wear one.

I really don't need any more devices to check my emails on. Seriously, next we'll have smart toilet paper that updates your fb page automatically on how many calories you burned while wiping. "37 wipes, you're on fire today! Also BING! You've got mail!"

But a normal watch, yes I will buy one eventually...

if a smart watch has a holographic interface like something out of Mass Effect and can replace my phone altogether then yes certainly

however if it just has a digital watch and pops ups who is calling and lets me shout at my wrist until i decide its better to get out the phone from my pocket then i probably won't bother.

I can't think of much use for them unless they replace mobile phones altogether

For me, watches are cheap things for telling the time. Anyone who wears one knows the strap breaks before anything else, so I won't be going for these. If they do take off, though, it might finally stop everyone under 30 asking me the time! ;)

If there was something awesome I'd be missing out on by not having one, sure, but my phone currently does everything a watch could ever hope to and more.

Nope.

I find it irritating enough that I can now pretty much be contacted at any time. I love social media, but sometimes its nice to have that 'block' button on my phone which stops notifications for a few hours.

If you want to talk to me, pick up the phone or send me a text, don't annoy me through facebook, twitter, instagram, tumblr w/e. Bah!

I would never EVER wear a smart watch.

Or a regular watch. I find them uncomfortable.

First thing that came to mind was a handcuff analogy. But I don't use smartphones either, my facebook and emails etc can wait until I get home. I would be interested to see how it looks/works though.

I probably wouldn't because I'm not really an accessory person. Plus I am normally at a computer most of the time, so I don't even bother having my phone connected to the Internet yet alone everything else.

Plus until they settle cross-device notifications it's just too much of a chore.

The idea appeals very much to me, but I can't help but worry about the screen size. Plus the look of an analogue clock appeals more to the lover of classic styles in me.

I almost backed the "Pebble" smartwatch that was Kickstarted so yeah I expect I would. Im glad I didnt get that particular one though as from what ive heard since people got theirs, its not great.

I had a pre-order on one in January. They finally told me that I could pay for it a few weeks ago (after they had sold a load to stores), but it was way too late.

I'm keeping a close eye on the Sony Smartwatch 2, Samsung Galaxy Gear and the rumoured Nexus watch (along with any other that will crop up that are compatible with Android). I'll definitely be getting one.

Features I'll be keeping an eye on would be notifications, music controls, a customisable watch face and connectivity to fitness apps.

Edited by Cube

Um... No. I already have a smartphone which is way smarter than me. To be shown up by a watch would be...embarassing.