Affected services:

Wii U

- Online Play, Rankings etc.

Nintendo 3DS

- Online Play, Rankings etc.

*Some of the affected services' features are not available during temporary

maintenance. We thank you for your understanding and apologise for any

inconvenience.

Something big might be happening becuse 9 Hours that Wii U and 3DS network will be down

I'm using this one right now. Works perfectly, it's silent and very compact - perfect for storing out of sight (or you could just stick it next to the Wii U, it looks really quite nice next to it actually!)

It would seem that I'll be in the market for a Hard Drive soon - less than 4GB remaining capacity will be on my Wii U by the end of the night :p - I like the idea of getting the same type of hard drive as you bought Dcubed being that it seems to have served you well so what I would like to know is if this is the same hard drive...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-2tb-desktop-hd/525-2138.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=525-2138

If it is then I can get it for around £60 hopefully next week as my staff discount will be worth double from Monday to Friday so this seems like the ideal thing to use it on. :)

It would seem that I'll be in the market for a Hard Drive soon - less than 4GB remaining capacity will be on my Wii U by the end of the night :p - I like the idea of getting the same type of hard drive as you bought Dcubed being that it seems to have served you well so what I would like to know is if this is the same hard drive...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-2tb-desktop-hd/525-2138.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=525-2138

If it is then I can get it for around £60 hopefully next week as my staff discount will be worth double from Monday to Friday so this seems like the ideal thing to use it on. :)

I think it's the same one (it looks the same and has the same dimensions & weight, so I'm pretty sure it's the same as my one).

That's probably the best price you're gonna get it for right now, so I say go for it. Works a treat!

Oh hey guys. Long time no see.

So, I got myself a Wii U. I won't bore you with the details of it but in summary:

> Local retailer stopping selling gaming stuff

> 50% off Wii U's until stock runs out

> Managed to nab a Premium one for $214AUD

> Woo!

Initial feelings:

> This gamepad feels super comfortable

> I dig that I can control my TV with it

> Nintendo Land is tragic

> Hey the eShop is actually really cool.

My girlfriend and I are huge Donkey Kong fans, so it's mostly for that, but I've never played Wind Waker (I know, I know) so I'm pretty pumped for that too.

I take it that was a Dick Smith store? I read they are having a firesale to get rid of the stock and then aren't stocking it anymore.

Over here the space Tesco originally had for the Wii U has been reduced to nothing ( big thread on Gaf about it). Morrisons, Sainsburys and Asda seem to given up. HMV have made their Wii U section smaller and GAME may as well not bother seeing as their section is tiny and lumbered with Wii stuff.

As a retail presence the console is barely existing and come the release on the next consoles it may be even harder to find a Wii U and it's games in shops. Not that it bothers me as 9 times out of 10 I buy online but it's never gonna get the public attention if they can't actually see the thing in shops.

I take it that was a Dick Smith store? I read they are having a firesale to get rid of the stock and then aren't stocking it anymore.

Over here the space Tesco originally had for the Wii U has been reduced to nothing ( big thread on Gaf about it). Morrisons, Sainsburys and Asda seem to given up. HMV have made their Wii U section smaller and GAME may as well not bother seeing as their section is tiny and lumbered with Wii stuff.

As a retail presence the console is barely existing and come the release on the next consoles it may be even harder to find a Wii U and it's games in shops. Not that it bothers me as 9 times out of 10 I buy online but it's never gonna get the public attention if they can't actually see the thing in shops.

Yeah same here.

Here my local Tesco never stocked a single console or game. One of the Tescos in the city had premium and Basic packs on display, not sure if they just had those one of each or if maybe they had more in storage room? But they only had like 2 games on display, NintendoLand and NSMBU. They are actually overpriced too, 399euro for Prem, 349 for Basic.

Gamestop has them priced at 340 and 299 respectively.

Speaking of GameStop, my local where I buy my games has moved their Wii U display. It used to be the wall to the left of the counter, so you couldn't miss it even if you were just in a line waiting to buy something else, you couldn't miss the Wii U display.

In the last few weeks they've reduced the shelf space and moved it to the side of the entrance in a corner. Unless you are looking for it you could easily walk into the store browse, buy something and walk out and totally miss the Wii U section, you'd prolly think they had none.

And in the space where the Wii U shelf was before is now Vita games :heh:

Nintendo had better have something big in store in the run up to the end of the year to get sales driving and retailers interested in stocking and displaying the console. The Xbox One and PS4 displays are starting to get bigger too I think.

I've not been in the Smyths Toystore in ages but I'd assume they are prolly doing the same.

Funny you should mention that...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-teams-up-with-tesco-for-wii-u-fight-back/0121777

Nintendo just announced a new co-marketing initiative with Tesco for Wii U (as part of the beginning of their relaunch Xmas campaign).

Their new Xmas campaign starts this month, from "half-term to Xmas", focusing on Wii owners, kids, parents and long time Nintendo fans (hello Wind Waker HD' Ganondorf figurine ;) ).

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-teams-up-with-tesco-for-wii-u-fight-back/0121777

Nintendo just announced a new co-marketing initiative with Tesco for Wii U (as part of the beginning of their relaunch Xmas campaign).

Their new Xmas campaign starts this month, from "half-term to Xmas", focusing on Wii owners, kids, parents and long time Nintendo fans (hello Wind Waker HD' Ganondorf figurine ;) ).

Not bad. It's only taken them a year to realise they have to advertise the thing. :laughing: I still find it mind blowing that they threw away a year lead.

Probably a result of it. Nintendo offered money, Tesco said how much it bought them, Nintendo said ok and bam...we have a corner!

The display in my local GAME store was surprisingly good. Since release, the Wii U was the first thing you saw and it was 2 big shelves. And it didn't even need to be that big because of the amount of games available for the system, quite a few were just boxes of games that hadn't come out yet with 'pre-order' on the box. Opposite that they had a Wii U demo station.

I thought maybe Nintendo were paying GAME or something because this amount of spotlight shelf space seemed really weird, but they changed it a few weeks ago and now it's a tiny section in the corner, lumbered with existing Wii things. As for Tesco and ASDA, I haven't seen it in either, ever. We stocked some at work for a while and they said I was literally the only person to buy it from there for the first month :p They don't stock them now either (then again, we recently scaled back games by loads so it's no wonder. The only games we really get in now are like... Call of Duty and FIFA.)

It's an uphill struggle from here. I sometimes wonder if it has done more damage releasing it last year than if they'd have just waited to release it now with a wealth of content readily available.

Not bad. It's only taken them a year to realise they have to advertise the thing. :laughing: I still find it mind blowing that they threw away a year lead.

No point advertising it if they didn't have software to sell for it. They waited until they could relaunch it (funnelling all the money they saved from the advertising that they would've done before into one big massive Xmas campaign).

No point advertising it if they didn't have software to sell for it. They waited until they could relaunch it (funnelling all the money they saved from the advertising that they would've done before into one big massive Xmas campaign).

Still doesn't make it right though. They left early adopters dead in the water for the best part of a year.

I wouldn't say there has been a drought as such for the WiiU - as we have had some games just unfortunately they've all been games released before on other consoles.

Nintendo gave us a drought they abandoned their own console over christmas upto Q2

but as an early adopter my problem with the WiiU was not enough game i wanted to play, or keep playing when compared to the big releases on other consoles. Maybe the problem would be lessened if i only had a WiiU to play games on, but then i wonder would i get bored altogether

sure we've had some great games for the WiiU just not enough and not frequently enough.....

but its about to change the next few months look awesome, there's some third party games coming at the same time as other consoles that i will chose the WiiU version over (batman) and some first party magic.......but nintendo need a relaunch in the uk desperately

I wouldn't say there has been a drought as such for the WiiU - as we have had some games just unfortunately they've all been games released before on other consoles.

Nintendo gave us a drought they abandoned their own console over christmas upto Q2

but as an early adopter my problem with the WiiU was not enough game i wanted to play, or keep playing when compared to the big releases on other consoles. Maybe the problem would be lessened if i only had a WiiU to play games on, but then i wonder would i get bored altogether

sure we've had some great games for the WiiU just not enough and not frequently enough.....

but its about to change the next few months look awesome, there's some third party games coming at the same time as other consoles that i will chose the WiiU version over (batman) and some first party magic.......but nintendo need a relaunch in the uk desperately

Maybe you accept gimped 3rd party games but I don't and nearly every game is botched in one way or another and Batman: Arkham Origins is no exception. Where's the online multiplayer? Yet they'll expect us to pay the same as the other versions. Then there's the staggered release of the DLC season pass which costs £16 that should be included on the disc. F off Warner Bros.!

Maybe you accept gimped 3rd party games but I don't and nearly every game is botched in one way or another and Batman: Arkham Origins is no exception. Where's the online multiplayer? Yet they'll expect us to pay the same as the other versions. Then there's the staggered release of the DLC season pass which costs £16 that should be included on the disc. F off Warner Bros.!

frankly i think the tacking on of a multiplayer to a singleplayer needlessly gimps the ps3/360 versions but that's another debate on the current trend to duct tape on multiplayer to anything or as a worse case take a single player game and make it a multiplayer only shadowrun style clone (Nosgoth, the new "entry" in the legacy of kain seires

but i take your point, batman isn't the best example but it illustrates the point that finally we are getting simultanious releases giving us actual choice

EDIT:http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/27/batman-akrham-origins-cheaper-on-wii-u

that goes some way to negate the point you made though

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Batman on the Wii U is supposed to be $10 cheaper than the other versions due to the lack of multiplayer.

Looks like Ubisoft might be next to jump ship going by these messages from Emily Rogers on Twitter.

3 things. 3DS firmware is no longer coming October. Wii U firmware update is sooner than you think. Wii U owners need to buy Ubisofts games

I'm dead serious about the third thing too. Based on what I'm hearing, if you want Ubisoft to support Wii U, you better support their stuff.

Also, regarding the content of the Wii U firmware update

It's nothing earth shattering.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Emi1yRogers

Looks like Ubisoft might be next to jump ship going by these messages from Emily Rogers on Twitter.

Also, regarding the content of the Wii U firmware update

https://mobile.twitter.com/Emi1yRogers

To be fair, that must be the same of any developer.

Though really, Rayman outperformed the other consoles on launch...they just must be wanting more growth on the console, which is fair.

However, the message to third parties should be "Stop giving us gimped versions of your bloody games"