Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Nintendo hasn't sold the Wii LAN Adaptor for a while.

But that doesn't matter as the Wii/Wii U uses a fairly common kind of LAN adaptor, so there are plenty of alternatives, like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-UTL-U2-Converter-Ultrabook-Chromebook-Black/dp/B00NP1XOOK/

Official one;

http://www.base.com/buy/product/nintendo-wii-u-lan-adapter-nintendo-wii-u/dgc-adapterwiiu.htm

So many people not realising it's still on sale. Oh dear.

Says who? I said they're not available everywhere. They're not in any shop in Ireland.

Available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-LAN-Adapter/dp/B00BERB8B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1414677407&sr=1-1&keywords=Nintendo+Wii+U+LAN+Adapter+%28Nintendo+Wii+U%29

Overpriced. Just as well Nintendo didn't make a hard drive.

BTW, I'm still waiting for a link and the brand of the 2TB hard drive that you got for £50?

BTW, I'm still waiting for a link and the brand of the 2TB hard drive that you got for £50?

Prices fluctuate, but a quick (less than 30 second) look on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STBV2000200-Expansion-Desktop-Drive/dp/B0084LZI5Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1414678877&sr=8-7&keywords=2tb+hard+disk+drive

£5 more expensive, but as I said, prices fluctuate.

Prices fluctuate, but a quick (less than 30 second) look on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STBV2000200-Expansion-Desktop-Drive/dp/B0084LZI5Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1414678877&sr=8-7&keywords=2tb+hard+disk+drive

£5 more expensive, but as I said, prices fluctuate.

Thanks. When I do get one it'll have to be portable. I've enough sockets used up. I don't have a spare socket and it's overloaded as it is. Seagate is the brand I'm looking to get as well.

I remember having this conversation before about how this was overpriced. You can pick these adapters up for sub £5.

A generic brand I presume you mean?

Eh?? Skyward Sword is probably the Zelda game that focused on story the most! Certainly far more than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

For me Skyward Sword started really well, but then died quite quickly too. I found TP shallow in terms of characterisation as well, but WW had a lot of charm to it in places and characters. I realise characters don't neccessarily equal story, but they offer similar things for me. I can see how SS feels empty in this sense as it goes on.

However, I think @markderoos makes an excellent point - these are old franchises, and I guess yeah, hats off that they can still get people involved with them. I'm not quite where Happenstance or Sheikah are but I have definitely felt myself going towards it(skipped MKWii, NSMBWii, NSMBU, NSMB2 and Galaxy 2 for examples). The only reason I got MK8 was the promo, and 3D world cos it was a good deal and felt potentially fresher than the previous - I've not played it a great amount though, and 3D land started to feel a bit of a chore towards the end/getting all the coins.

However, I think @markderoos makes an excellent point - these are old franchises, and I guess yeah, hats off that they can still get people involved with them. I'm not quite where Happenstance or Sheikah are but I have definitely felt myself going towards it(skipped MKWii, NSMBWii, NSMBU, NSMB2 and Galaxy 2 for examples). The only reason I got MK8 was the promo, and 3D world cos it was a good deal and felt potentially fresher than the previous - I've not played it a great amount though, and 3D land started to feel a bit of a chore towards the end/getting all the coins.

I think skipping some titles probably is the way to go, especially the ones without much story. But while they does work, I dont think we should have to be skipping games from a series just to limit gaming fatigue. I assume you werent purposefully skipping these games in preperation for some future title but thats kind of how it feels when I think about not bothering with some titles.

I skipped them more because I just wasn't feeling a great appeal of them - so definitely due to gaming fatigue of sorts. I guess I was waiting for the 'next one' to see if it'd take me, but not sort of actively planning that...if that makes any sense at all?

A strange thing though, I can still go back and play through old marios and Zeldas(Oracles, OoT, MM, LttP, SMW, SMB2, SMB3 etc) which I have done countless times and have a blast - maybe that's nostalgia helping or something else but I don't feel incredibly fatigued or bored by it and can't tell you why given I actually should be!

Re:active avoidance. At the moment I've just gotten my 3DS back from repair, I said I'd get Smash 3DS once I did but now I'm actually starting to consider leaving it til later to make the WiiU one a bit fresher when it hits in a few weeks. Then I think 'I'll get it anyway' so should probs just get it now(also having it in time for Smash or DI) - but I don't want to be underwhelmed by the WiiU version because I gorged on the 3DS one. If that makes any sense.

I'm glad it's not just me. I think it depends an awful lot on how much you like playing on any particular machine - for instance, I've played a ridiculous amount of games on the 3DS, but skipped NSMB on the Wii (which I think I'd have quite liked - I just couldn't be bothered to buy it). And if someone asked me if the Wii U was worth buying, I'd say "Yes", and yet somehow I can't bring myself to play NSMB U, Pikmin 3 or Super Mario 3D World. In fact, I haven't completed a single game on the Wii U. :hmm:

It's not as if I don't have any gaming time either, as I've played the DS and 3DS a lot this year, sometimes even repeat run-throughs of my favourite eShop/Virtual Console games.

I'm glad it's not just me. I think it depends an awful lot on how much you like playing on any particular machine - for instance, I've played a ridiculous amount of games on the 3DS, but skipped NSMB on the Wii (which I think I'd have quite liked - I just couldn't be bothered to buy it). And if someone asked me if the Wii U was worth buying, I'd say "Yes", and yet somehow I can't bring myself to play NSMB U, Pikmin 3 or Super Mario 3D World. In fact, I haven't completed a single game on the Wii U. :hmm:

It's not as if I don't have any gaming time either, as I've played the DS and 3DS a lot this year, sometimes even repeat run-throughs of my favourite eShop/Virtual Console games.

Haha, I never expected it from you! We're totes fairly similar in that regard then - arguably I have 'less time' but is it because I'm filling it with other things? I was exactly the same with NSMBWii, I even played it at other people's houses and rather liked it, but I dunno...never felt the real drive to buy it myself. Maybe because I only found it fun in company? Or knew I couldn't do it otherwise? I'm moving into online arguments here, and we've been through all that before.

I'm 50/50 on my Wii U recommendation however - I've told some people not to, and some people to think about it. Honest 50/50, like totes dependant on the person involved. I do think it's got good content, and I do think it's a good price - there's too much aside from the content which causes me issue. IF it were me I half wonder...would a PS4 have suited me better? But would a PS4 have given me the hilarious impromptu Nintendoland adventures I had on saturday telling people to sit daaaaaaaan in Mario Chase? Different strokes for different folks all in.

Oh nice! Nintendo have seemingly updated their old E3 trailer videos on Youtube with 60FPS versions!

Here's Yoshi's Wooly World (Works in Chrome, not sure about other browsers though)

Nice to see them jump on the bandwagon. Higher quality footage should be the standard from here on out :)

Oh nice! Nintendo have seemingly updated their old E3 trailer videos on Youtube with 60FPS versions!

Here's Yoshi's Wooly World (Works in Chrome, not sure about other browsers though)

Nice to see them jump on the bandwagon. Higher quality footage should be the standard from here on out :)

Beautiful. :love:

Are 60fps vids a standard YT feature now, or is it limited to certain account types?

Beautiful. :love:

Are 60fps vids a standard YT feature now, or is it limited to certain account types?

Standard. It's out of beta now but it only works in certain browsers I believe (I know it works just fine in Chrome - but I dunno about any other browser, or indeed mobile)

BTW am I weird for reading that word beautiful in Rodin's voice from Bayonetta? ;)

Edit: Oh, here's something I'm sure you'd appreciate...

60FPS footage of Super Mario Kart, captured from an actual SNES console ;)

Edited by Dcubed

Didn't realise this was posted here. I'll copy and paste some of what I wrote in the Yoshi's Woolly World thread:

I think it can be viewed on the gamepad in 60 fps. What I did was go into "settings" on the browser then changed "switch user agent" to "chrome". And of course change the auto 360p on the video settings to 720p HD. It will look even nicer again if the finished game runs in 1080p.

Edit: Yep, it definitely works and makes a big difference. For those that don't know Youtube videos can now be viewed in 60 fps on Google Chrome. That's a cool little work around for us Wii U owners.

I went looking for a news story just now to highlight it and found this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/10/30/youtube-60fps-video-is-here-and-it-looks-incredible/

Nice, they use MK8 to showcase it.

Edit 2: It's not perfect so what I'd do is have the video open and set to 720p HD first before changing it to Chrome. Otherwise you can have difficulty seeing some of the icons like play, settings and fullscreen.

Edited by Wii

Standard. It's out of beta now but it only works in certain browsers I believe (I know it works just fine in Chrome - but I dunno about any other browser, or indeed mobile)
Awesome. :awesome:

I might actually start uploading some more vids to YouTube now.

BTW am I weird for reading that word beautiful in Rodin's voice from Bayonetta? ;)
Nope, I was typing it in that voice. :laughing:

Edit: Oh, here's something I'm sure you'd appreciate...

60FPS footage of Super Mario Kart, captured from an actual SNES console ;)

I could play/watch that game forever. :)