Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

No not everything.

You're right. Usage of the words "and" & "the" are contextually valid and used correctly.

Well, and the first sentence :p

Nintendo still has not figured out online multiplayer

Yes they have

though Mario Kart now has multiplayer.

It has had for almost 10 years

Nintendo hasn't really ever figured out anything digital

Not true at all

though there are Pokemon trading cards going digital for the first time.

The first time was three years ago.

I read about Mario Kart DLC about a week ago, and it had never occurred to me that there had never been DLC in a Nintendo game before. That's mind-boggling to me.

Mind boggling because it is so absurdly not true

They are more than a decade behind the curve, and they are so insular that there's no desire internally to actually learn from others.

The first bit is absolutely not true, and the last bit is a subjective argument. Clearly from DLC they have learned from others.

I actually agree with some of what he's said there.

Yes, Mario Kart has online but the lack of options, voice chat and other stuff that has been discussed to death on here shows that they are behind the curve in this regard.

I also agree with his statement about them being insular. That whole thing about them not knowing how PSN and Xbox Live works is a prime example of this. A TRUE account system is another example of them not taking notes of what's going on around them.

People give them a pass saying " They are doing this now " or " It will be in their next console" most of this stuff is industry standard now yet Nintendo have yet to catch up.

Yes, Mario Kart has online but the lack of options, voice chat and other stuff that has been discussed to death on here shows that they are behind the curve in this regard.

I also agree with his statement about them being insular. That whole thing about them not knowing how PSN and Xbox Live works is a prime example of this. A TRUE account system is another example of them not taking notes of what's going on around them.

People give them a pass saying " They are doing this now " or " It will be in their next console" most of this stuff is industry standard now yet Nintendo have yet to catch up.

Yeah, I agree. Even if he says a lot of crap, he does make some points that I think most of us would agree with.

Yes he gets some things right. But these are things we've known for years. He doesn't tell me anything I don't already know and what's worse he mixes it in with his misinformation. I think he's a bit of a chancer.

You say Pachter isn't wrong?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-09-08-the-end-of-the-console-era-as-we-know-it

Everything about that paragraph is wrong.

NOBODY said that Pacther is NEVER wrong. I'm not sure if this is either a petty attempt to try and make a point or a complete misread of what was talked about previously. Either way, perhaps you should think before you post.

No not everything.

And fuck me, @dazzybee @Serebii and @Sheikah I'd advise you to read the last page back and make a note of how boring this is all getting between the lot of you.

Why you mentioning me? I only commented at the very end like a few other people did, why didn't you mention everyone?

Do you actually believe Nintendo have/had no idea how psn/live worked?

They are behind the curve. But it won't take much for them to catch up. Whether they will or not is another question.

You say Pachter isn't wrong?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-09-08-the-end-of-the-console-era-as-we-know-it

Everything about that paragraph is wrong.

You're being absurd here.

Online is still terrible..Lack of voice chat hurts.

MK8 is going to be the first home console game with DLC, is it not? I don't recall Wii games getting much support for DLC, if at all, due to lack of memory. I also don't recall Nintendo Land or SM3DW getting DLC (I might be mistaken here though!).

Mario Kart has had online before but it's been very bare bones (see MKWii or MK: DS). The Wii U version is the first time they've ever had a proper stab at online but they are still behind the curve....for now :)

Do you actually believe Nintendo have/had no idea how psn/live worked?

They are behind the curve. But it won't take much for them to catch up. Whether they will or not is another question.

Probably. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. They seem to live in their own little bubble.

People said the exact same thing last gen. They said they would catch up this gen in terms of online gaming and it hasn't happened. Personally I just don't think they are interested in it.

MK8 is going to be the first home console game with DLC, is it not? I don't recall Wii games getting much support for DLC, if at all, due to lack of memory. I also don't recall Nintendo Land or SM3DW getting DLC (I might be mistaken here though!).

Mario Kart has had online before but it's been very bare bones (see MKWii or MK: DS). The Wii U version is the first time they've ever had a proper stab at online but they are still behind the curve....for now :)

The Wii one had monthly challenges which were dlc. And also he said it in general, not specifically mario kart. I presumed anyway.

And mario kart Wii wasn't barebones at all, it's their most impressive online title in my eyes :) (doesn't say much)

Still can't believe it as that would ridiculous. I wouldn't be THAT surprised though...

MK8 is going to be the first home console game with DLC, is it not? I don't recall Wii games getting much support for DLC, if at all, due to lack of memory. I also don't recall Nintendo Land or SM3DW getting DLC (I might be mistaken here though!).:)

Pikmin 3 had DLC but it was free. If he means premium, paid for DLC then I think Mario Kart is the first for the home console.

1. Online may be a bit lacking in areas, but it still exists, and is still well used where it makes sense to. Pokémon X & Y has some of the best online I have seen, in fact.

2. No. New Super Mario Bros. U and Pikmin 3 have had DLC. A few others too but I can't quite place them, if you're limiting to home console. However, he said Nintendo, not home console.

3. It has had online in HALF of its titles. It doesn't matter if it was "bare bones". It has had online.

If he had said it has "good online now", then yeah, you'd have a point. However, he did not.

Pikmin 3 had DLC but it was free. If he means premium, paid for DLC then I think Mario Kart is the first for the home console.

Nope. Pikmin 3 had loads of paid DLC, and New Super Mario Bros. U had DLC too.

MK8 is going to be the first home console game with DLC, is it not?

Pikmin 3 and NSMBU got DLC. They had a few games on the 3DS with DLC, too.

1. Online may be a bit lacking in areas, but it still exists, and is still well used where it makes sense to. Pokémon X & Y has some of the best online I have seen, in fact.

I haven't played the Pokémon games, but even Mario Kart 8 has a very lacking online. The online in MK8 is adequate, not "used well".

Nope. Pikmin 3 had loads of paid DLC, and New Super Mario Bros. U had DLC too.

What paid DLC was there for Pikmin? Clearly must not have been compelling as I certainly didn't buy it or clearly know about it for that matter.

As for NSMBU I forgot about the Luigi DLC. I always class that as it's own game. :) Was there anymore for that?

What paid DLC was there for Pikmin? Clearly must not have been compelling as I certainly didn't buy it or clearly know about it for that matter.

As for NSMBU I forgot about the Luigi DLC. I always class that as it's own game. :) Was there anymore for that?

Just checked Pikmin. Yeah, it was the mission mode and challenge mode stuff. I never bothered with any of that, hence my lack of interest in it.

Nope, NSMBU just had the New Super Luigi U DLC

For Pikmin 3, with each free one, there was like four paid

Tropical Forest Remix (Free)

Silver Lake Remix

Thirsty Desert Remix

Twilight Hollow Remix

Shaded Garden Remix

Tropical Wilds Remix (Free)

Garden of Hope Remix

Distant Tundra Remix

Twilight River Remix

Formidable Oak Remix

Those first 8 were remixes of current assets, but then we got these four, which were totally new, new assets and everything

Fortress of Festivity (Free)

The Rustyard

Beastly Cavern

Forgotten Cove

Clockwork Chasm

I wouldn't know. If it had online however....:)

I think Ine and I played it once or twice and haven't touched it since. You're not missing much. I swore it was online though, can't believe that it isn't.

I actually got to play Nintendoland with two other people this weekend. The Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion games are good. However, the disc is now back in the box and it'll probably never see the light of day again. A bit of a shame.

Howeveeeeer, I got to play one of the worst multiplayer games ever this weekend. Goldeneye for the Wii. Fuck me, how can Goldeneye be the name of the best AND worst multiplayer simultaneously? The N64 version is great but the Wii version in local multiplayer is AWFUL. Not just a bit bad, it's fucking tragic. There were so many things that were wrong with it. I wish I had filmed it. (one of those moments where you kinda wish the WiiU had a share button...just putting that out there ;))

Having three people with Wiimotes trying to play an FPS casually just doesn't work. Unless you're all sat in exactly the same spot, it just...it's a mess. Turning was so slow, the game looked really terrible and it ultimately just become a chore. There was no passion in it either, it's so utterly boring. I'm still shocked. How could that go so wrong? I don't think the game in single player looked bad at all but it looks disgusting in multiplayer.

Never again. However, it did bring on some laughs.

That single player though!

That's the paradox, I really enjoyed the singleplayer and thought it looked quite good for a Wii game at the time. But, I was blown away by just how bad the multiplayer was. It surprised me. I was certain it would be at least decent. It's probably better online...maybe?