Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Honestly is one of the most ridiculous things I have seen Nintendo do, especially the last bit.

Isn't the last bit something fairly commonly done though? (Maybe not necessarily with staff like Adelman, but for people in positions like Reggie has, isn't it fairly common for someone in Public Relations to ghost write the tweets of high ranked staff in most companies these days? - pretty sure it is...)

Edited by Dcubed

Nintendo don't want their employees tweeting.

Nintendo don't want their fans tweeting them.

Nintendo don't want to communicate with their fans.

Nintendo don't want their fans communicating whilst playing online.

Nintendo don't want their fans playing 3rd Party games.

Nintendo don't want me playing their games it feels like.

...so I bought a PS4, WiiU relegated to secondary console.

Edited by Kav

Isn't the last bit something fairly commonly done though? (Maybe not necessarily with staff like Adelman, but for people in positions like Reggie has, isn't it fairly common for someone in Public Relations to ghost write the tweets of high ranked staff in most companies these days? - pretty sure it is...)

For a tweet here and there, sure, but for his entire twitter? Eww no

Nintendo don't want their employees tweeting.

Nintendo don't want their fans talking online.

Nintendo don't want me tweeting/Miiverse posting them.

Nintendo don't want me playing 3rd Party games.

Nintendo don't want me playing their games it feels like.

...so I bought a PS4, WiiU relegated to secondary console.

Did you seriously just make this decision because of this flawed logic jump?

That's because they're significant figureheads and presumably doing it as a nice thing for people who normally don't have time for it. This is not the same, it's a guy effectively being silenced because they don't trust him. Ironically, this kind of thing is intended to prevent bad PR, yet itself is rather bad PR.

Did you seriously just make this decision because of this flawed logic jump?

Yeah, I doubt it has anything to do with the many issues with the console that he and many others have spoken about for several months now.

I'm surprised you lasted this long without one, I've had mine for the best part of a year and it has been a god-send. :heart:

One thing to point out though... depending on how your hard drive works - mine goes into standby when not accessed for a few mins - it's good practice to check your friend list or something before coming out of a retail game and going straight to the home menu as mine seems to freeze the console if you try to go straight from the game to home if the hard drive has gone quiet.

Aside from that little anomaly, all works fine : peace: seems there is always a compromise though. :heh:

Look what came in the new "stability" update

image-31.jpg

Go into System settings then Data management.

Push down on the dpad and + and - at the same time, a window should pop asking if you want to deactivate the auto standby function.

Dan Adelman believes Wii U deserves to sell better, but the name is “abysmal”

Dan Adelman, Nintendo’s former head of digital content and development, has weighed in on the current status surrounding Wii U.

Responding to a fan on Ask.fm, Adelman noted that he believes the console deserves to sell better, in part due to the game’s available. However, the GamePad’s value has yet to be “justified”, and Adelman believes the Wii U name is “abysmal.”

"Wii U is not selling as well as it deserves to. It has a lot to offer with great games you can’t get anywhere else. The value of the GamePad hasn’t been justified. But the name Wii U is abysmal. I think that cut sales in half right there".

http://nintendoeverything.com/dan-adelman-believes-wii-u-deserves-to-sell-better-but-the-name-is-abysmal/

He's not wasted any time using his new found freedom.

If he's been essentially gagged for so long, I imagine a lot of pent up frustration will have accumulated.

Having said that, it's not like any level minded person could strongly dispute those comments.

I've seen plenty of fantastic ideas on here for the gamepad, I've had tonnes of ideas on how it COULD be used. Nintendo. Nope. And the Wii U name... I have vague recollections of a friend telling me about it. I cringed, and didn't follow the Wii U at all. Actually, if it wasn't for a spur of the moment impulse buy decision on an amazon deal, I wouldn't own one now. I think maybe his "half" comment was too kind on the name.

how hard would it have been to change that U symbol into a II symbol? really that there would have shut some detractors up and stopped the confusion somewhat, dropping the Wii name altogether would have been much better full stop.

They should of done so after the initial review. It was still possible then to change the name but they seemed to believe in the WII u. No idea why!!

NINTENDO SAYS IT’S IMPORTANT TO GET THIRD PARTY TITLES LIKE ASSASSIN’S CREED AND CALL OF DUTY

Nintendo Canada’s Matt Ryan says it’s extremely important for the company to secure certain franchises like Assassin’s Creed and Call of Duty. We heard today that Ubisoft is only releasing Assassin’s Creed Rogue on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare has only been confirmed for Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and PC. Here’s what he had to say.

“Those partnership and relationships are very important. Not only are those third-party relationships important for collaborating on games together, it’s also important for us to have certain important games on other systems come to our systems as well. True video game fans that enjoy putting in a ton of hours playing games also want to play these big titles, and they may not have the other systems to provide that for them. Now, while we may not get them all, it’s important that we get some, especially the really big ones. Like Assassin’s Creed, Call of Duty, and some of the Batman games we’ve seen on Wii U.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/05/nintendo-says-its-important-to-get-third-party-titles-like-assassins-creed-and-call-of-duty/#comments

Where are said franchises?

Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.

I still think CoD will hit this year, Batman certainly won't be appearing. Creed is a funny one. Given the others hit the system, and how pally Ubisoft and Nintendo are, I would have thought Rogue would arrive for the Wii U as well.

Look what came in the new "stability" update

image-31.jpg

Oh nice! I had no idea that was there! (how the hell did anyone think to do that to find it!?)

I'll probably keep my HDD's sleep mode on though. The infrequent pauses that happen when the HDD hasn't been accessed for a while don't really bother me and I'd rather prolong its life.

I'm wondering if they are referring to the Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and Batman titles that are already on the system.

Technically, from Nintendo's perspective, they could potentially say, "you can play Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and Batman on the WiiU now."

They would be right, too...just instead of Arkham Knight, it would be City and Origins. Instead of the two new AC games, it's Black Flag and 3, same for CoD.

Just putting that out there. :D

Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.

I still think CoD will hit this year, Batman certainly won't be appearing. Creed is a funny one. Given the others hit the system, and how pally Ubisoft and Nintendo are, I would have thought Rogue would arrive for the Wii U as well.

Yeah I think we'll get COD but that will be in spite of Nintendo's failings not anything good they've done. That franchise gets released on everything. I'm almost surprised there's not a Dreamcast version. The others? Well Batman definitely not.

Yeah I think we'll get COD but that will be in spite of Nintendo's failings not anything good they've done. That franchise gets released on everything. I'm almost surprised there's not a Dreamcast version. The others? Well Batman definitely not.

Fifa got released for the PS2 last year but not the Wii U and I thought that got released on everything.

I don't actually know what Nintendo can do in order to attract 3rd parties.

They could go to them and ask their opinions on how they want a console built, like the other two have done.

Fifa got released for the PS2 last year but not the Wii U and I thought that got released on everything.

EA have major beef with Nintendo though. Man, I would love to know just what happened between those two.

They could go to them and ask their opinions on how they want a console built, like the other two have done.

EA have major beef with Nintendo though. Man, I would love to know just what happened between those two.

I believe the Origin stuff is what happened.

Nintendo went to developers/publishers with the Wii U, and they all gushed about it (urgh). EA was helping Nintendo with the online, but wanted the whole thing to be on Origin. Nintendo obviously told them to do one, since it puts EA in control of the netcode (so they could make CoD suck online) and, from there, the unprecedented partnership because a different kind of unprecedented partnership.

I believe the Origin stuff is what happened.

Nintendo went to developers/publishers with the Wii U, and they all gushed about it (urgh). EA was helping Nintendo with the online, but wanted the whole thing to be on Origin. Nintendo obviously told them to do one, since it puts EA in control of the netcode (so they could make CoD suck online) and, from there, the unprecedented partnership because a different kind of unprecedented partnership.

Yeah, the Origin reason is the most common theory that gets floated around. It would just be nice to get some official confirmation from someone. I imagine it will all come out eventually though.