N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

I don't want digital downloads. I want something tangible. It's also lets you play on another console and sell it if you don't like it. That and they're far too expensive and in some cases cost more than the actual physical copy.

On this forum the other day someone plugged in their NES and the games still worked. You know how Nintendo said before to make room in your fridge for the Wii, well what do you if your fridge breaks down and stinks to high hell or you made room in your fridge but the servers have long since closed to re-download the games? What do you do then?

These £250 packs aren't great value when you realise the game included is a shitty download code and not a physical copy. No wonder the prices dropped.

The Wind Waker box says download code and has no picture of the game case. The LEGO one shows a picture of the game case.

Personally I'm still not 100% on DD except on my PC(given the much larger capacity and speed possibilities there) - however if Nintendo really want to get it adopted and to be a success they need to significantly undercut cheapest retail prices - I'm sure there's plenty people here who given an equal or even a £5-10 more price difference for physical would go physical.

I was talking about the LE editions and getting digital versions instead of physical, not sure how your post relates (or is it too early in the morning for me)? I understand the reasons people prefer physical, it's just they shouldn't expect to get a physical copy with console bundles any more.

People were surprised the WW bundle was digital and was put off 100% from the bundle but I don't personally see why it matters.

The download codes from GAME are usually the same price as the physical version, but since GAME is the only retailer* there's not much competition going on. I also use discount codes to bring the price of eShop cards down, I got £50 worth for £42 a couple of weeks ago. Plus the points you get back from the Premium scheme helps as well. Nearly got £20 back so far. Shame that will end eventually.

The Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 promotion was pretty good I thought. Got W101 for £28, cheaper than retail. Hope they do more promotions like that.

But anyway, I was just saying people should expect bundled games to be digital not anything else.

* Apart from that dodgy looking site the NoE site links to.

Edited by Ike

What the fuck is with everyone saying that every game bombed? Lego City has sold 460,000 copies on a platform that has only sold around 3.7 million units!

That's not a bomb at all for such a small install base!

If it doesn't do CoD numbers, it's a "bomba" according to the Internet

I was talking about the LE editions and getting digital versions instead of physical, not sure how your post relates (or is it too early in the morning for me)? I understand the reasons people prefer physical, it's just they shouldn't expect to get a physical copy with console bundles any more.

Oh yeah, sorry it wasn't actually a counter or disagreement with your post - just kinda segwayed into the topic of DD off the back of yours. I agree people shouldn't expect to(well, rather I agree that Nintendo won't do it), but kinda think it'll put people off a bit too. Previous post is what I essentially think they should do, but that's just me. How much space does an average retail game take up on the memory, for those who've gotten digital versions?

I don't want digital downloads. I want something tangible. It's also lets you play on another console and sell it if you don't like it. That and they're far too expensive and in some cases cost more than the actual physical copy.

On this forum the other day someone plugged in their NES and the games still worked. You know how Nintendo said before to make room in your fridge for the Wii, well what do you if your fridge breaks down and stinks to high hell or you made room in your fridge but the servers have long since closed to re-download the games? What do you do then?

Everybody wants anything...for the right price. Which I don't think it is. I completely agree with your post, really. With a lack of unified accounts, lack of potential recovery options later, there's quite a risk. If my Wii U broke in 15 years, all I'd need to manage is to get a working one and all my physical games still work - would I be able to otherwise recover my downloaded titles though?

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

What the fuck is with everyone saying that every game bombed? Lego City has sold 460,000 copies on a platform that has only sold around 3.7 million units!

That's not a bomb at all for such a small install base!

I know the game did ok in the US. In Pal land it bombed hard!!

The Wind Waker box says download code and has no picture of the game case. The LEGO one shows a picture of the game case.

Ahh, that's great. Thanks for clarifying.

Regarding the Wind Waker download, isn't the download/bundle coming out before the physical release like Luigi?

Ahh, that's great. Thanks for clarifying.

Regarding the Wind Waker download, isn't the download/bundle coming out before the physical release like Luigi?

In NA yes, not Europe unfortunately.

Nintendo fans in the US will be able to download a digital copy of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD from 20 September before the game's retail release on 4 October. Nintendo, however, has said that you won't be able to do the same in Europe.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/54029/zelda-wind-waker-hd-will-not-be-available-to-download-early-from-the-eshop-in-europe/

Currys and PC World have the basic Wii U headset for a fiver at the moment if anyone is interested.

What's 'basic' about it compared to...uh, whatever's not basic?? Might swing by my local on my way to/from work and see if they've got any in store.

EDIT: Ah, looks to be instore only anyway.

What's 'basic' about it compared to...uh, whatever's not basic?? Might swing by my local on my way to/from work and see if they've got any in store.

EDIT: Ah, looks to be instore only anyway.

It's just basic in that it has a headphones design with a noise cancelling mic on the wire. Seems decent enough for a fiver.

It's just basic in that it has a headphones design with a noise cancelling mic on the wire. Seems decent enough for a fiver.

Picked up two! Didn't know my friend's sister worked there, shoulda been cheeky and gone for extra discount!

My only problem now is...I need to test out how good it actually is.

Has any one posted about Ghost Song on here?

saw a thread on GAF about it, a dark souls inspired game made in the metroid 2d style

its already made its goals but not the stretch goal for a WiiU version

Does anyone else kinda get the feeling they put in the Wii U version just as a joke? If I was Nintendo, I would go and stump up the difference just to get people talking.

This Bonus Round makes for a pretty depressing watch, when you see how developers such as Bethesda and those behind Borderlands treat the Wii U/Nintendo in conversation :( Basically as a complete joke...

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/jyfd3n/bonus-round-questions-from-the-audience

Yes Nintendo have screwed up, but it wouldn't hurt people to still treat them with the utmost respect.

Hard to see what Nintendo do if this is the way third parties now regard them... I was a bit stunned really.

I havent watched it but I read the Eurogamer article and they were talking about how Nintendo didnt come to them or involve them as Sony or MS have done when they were working out the Wii U. To me it just sounds like the same old story you always hear about Nintendos bad relations with third party devs.

This Bonus Round makes for a pretty depressing watch, when you see how developers such as Bethesda and those behind Borderlands treat the Wii U/Nintendo in conversation :( Basically as a complete joke...

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/jyfd3n/bonus-round-questions-from-the-audience

Yes Nintendo have screwed up, but it wouldn't hurt people to still treat them with the utmost respect.

Hard to see what Nintendo do if this is the way third parties now regard them... I was a bit stunned really.

The developers behind Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines think Nintendo are a joke???

As for how developers regard the Wii U, well a lot of that is down to the poor sales of the system. Had Nintendo positioned the Wii U correctly and it had sold well, there would be more games coming out. If a platform sells, the games follow. The Wii U hasn't sold well so developers aren't likely to support it.

If all of a sudden Nintendo managed to release a killer title and the system started selling 400,000 units a week worldwide, I'm pretty sure a lot of developers would be announcing new titles as the market place would be there.

The developers behind Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines think Nintendo are a joke???

As for how developers regard the Wii U, well a lot of that is down to the poor sales of the system. Had Nintendo positioned the Wii U correctly and it had sold well, there would be more games coming out. If a platform sells, the games follow. The Wii U hasn't sold well so developers aren't likely to support it.

If all of a sudden Nintendo managed to release a killer title and the system started selling 400,000 units a week worldwide, I'm pretty sure a lot of developers would be announcing new titles as the market place would be there.

I'm not so sure it would. In fact, I'm pretty certain that even if Nintendo did everything "right", third parties would still not bother.

In addition to that, Nintendo did actually go to third parties for feedback, suggestions etc. That's how come the Pro Controler got made, and how come the whole concept leaked before E3 2011

The developers behind Elders Scrolls and Skyrim.

Tbh it's not just the Wii U is it... it seems to have been developers perception of Nintendo for quite some times now. Look at the numbers the Wii did... and yet it was constantly shunned by the big PS3/360 third party titles.

For that reason I don't agree with you that if Nintendo released a key title support would be there.

There's always this feeling when third party games get released on Nintendo platforms that they will under perform, leading to an even further decrease in support. A mentality amongst fans and developers that doesn't seem to be dissipating no matter what they do.

Bethesda has never been interested in Nintendo. Apart from one or two games they only only released in certain regions, the only game they commissioned (not even developed) for a Nintendo home console was

YYEaaGE.png

I'm not sure if they'll ever be keen on Nintendo.