Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Well, for one, they don't use hard drives. Due to hard drive technology, they'd have to keep releasing loads of SKUs repeatedly like MS and Sony had to.

Hard Drive prices go up over time due to smaller sizes being more costly to create after they have been bettered. That's why we had so many Xbox 360 and PS3 SKUs with varying drive sizes.

As such, Nintendo went with flash memory, which will only go down. It's possible that they'll add another in when it costs the same as 32GB did when Wii U launch, but it'd be 128GB or something akin to that.

Not true. Miyamoto skirted the question and said that he's happy with the 3DS and that their core focus is on the building blocks for the next generation of handheld. Both of which were true. He never said that there was no 3DS XL.

''Nintendo's press release says that the company has not announced or confirmed any facts to Nikkei, and that there are many inaccuracies in their report. They add that many of the details could be speculation from the paper as they have not provided any official information.''

I'm referring to that i.e. typical PR.

''Nintendo's press release says that the company has not announced or confirmed any facts to Nikkei, and that there are many inaccuracies in their report. They add that many of the details could be speculation from the paper as they have not provided any official information.''

I'm referring to that i.e. typical PR.

Dude, that's PR speak for "we're not telling". There was no lies in that statement, and no denial too.

As a journalist, I learned to actually read what they say, not what they imply. They're very sneaky.

Dude, that's PR speak for "we're not telling". There was no lies in that statement, and no denial too.

As a journalist, I learned to actually read what they say, not what they imply. They're very sneaky.

I know all that, hence the 'PR' comment, I was just pointing out that it wasn't the Miyamoto statement.

Come on, don't be silly. No need to add the journalist bit and add the 'they're very sneaky'; I'm not 5 years old/a GAF poster :heh: It's pretty basic stuff.

I know all that, hence the 'PR' comment, I was just pointing out that it wasn't the Miyamoto statement.

Come on, don't be silly. No need to add the journalist bit and add the 'they're very sneaky'; I'm not 5 years old/a GAF poster :heh: It's pretty basic stuff.

I apologise. I have been on GAF too long :p

Dude, you bring things on yourself sometimes.

Let's not try and make this too personal, even if that was meant in jest.

Out of interest mate, do you currently own a Wii U? What games would tempt you to get one? I think @Retro_Link mentioned Metroid, but what games do you need to see on there?

The same applies to everyone else of course? I know my good buddy @Zell is waiting for Smash!

Out of interest mate, do you currently own a Wii U? What games would tempt you to get one? I think @Retro_Link mentioned Metroid, but what games do you need to see on there?

The same applies to everyone else of course? I know my good buddy @Zell is waiting for Smash!

I've ordered one now, but to me Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World are still the only system sellers (it's very personal, obviously), whereas New Super Mario Bros and Pikmin 3 are essentials once I own the machine. Although Mario Kart 8 does look very good (and I'm getting it with the system), Mario Kart games have always irritated me and I'm hoping I get into this one a lot more.

Regarding what the system still needs, to me it's the ones Retro Link mentioned - Metroid, Zelda and F-Zero. Zelda is almost certain, and Metroid has been very heavily hinted-at (I like all Metroid games - it doesn't bother me whether it's 1st- or 3rd-person). Realistically, I don't think there's much chance of F-Zero, but that's the one Nintendo would need if they wanted to show the machine really is for core gamers as much as the GameCube. As long as it gets a Metroid and Zelda though, I'd consider it fairly complete.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did actually show off a new handheld tbh, with the aim of releasing it next year and the Wii U successor in 2016/2017.

@Dcubed: They flat out denied the DS Lite 2 days before announcing it. 3DSXL too.

Actually if you look closely at how they worded those previous "denials" you'll notice that they actually don't flat out say "no". They rightly call them out those rumours as what they are, rumours and speculation (the latter one also goes out of its way to note "factual errors" - which should've been a big clue in of itself as to whether it was real or not)

This time around though, they're just flat out literally saying "no". Something that they've never done before...

Actually if you look closely at how they worded those previous "denials" you'll notice that they actually don't flat out say "no". They rightly call them out those rumours as what they are, rumours and speculation (the latter one also goes out of its way to note "factual errors" - which should've been a big clue in of itself as to whether it was real or not)

This time around though, they're just flat out literally saying "no". Something that they've never done before...

Yeah sorry, I thought you were flat out denying they made those statements. It was me getting confused.

:)

Yeah sorry, I thought you were flat out denying they made those statements. It was me getting confused.

:)

Forgivehness given :) (God I miss good Simpsons...)

Anyway, Nintendo should do something more than just sending out statements to gaming sites... Quite a lot of people are still refusing to believe them and that will hurt their chances of getting the Wii U's sales going with MK8...

A public statement on their own site or a quickie Nintendo Direft with Iwata saying "Please Understand. There will be no new hardware at E3, thank you and Forgivehness Prease" would help :)

Are we still going to get that Wii U software update for faster booting anytime soon?

Iwata did say that the next big Wii U system update (the one that includes the quick boot feature) was coming in "Early Summer".

Rather conveniently, their E3 press conference just so happens to be happening on June 10... right at the start of Summer... hmm ;)

Iwata did say that the next big Wii U system update (the one that includes the quick boot feature) was coming in "Early Summer".

Rather conveniently, their E3 press conference just so happens to be happening on June 10... right at the start of Summer... hmm ;)

Ah yes - love those "...and its on the eshop NOW, bro" moments. :)

Wii U logo found within Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’s website source code

WiiU-620x400.jpg

Searching through the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare site’s source code, we found an interesting image…this image shows a Wii U logo alongside the logo of all other platforms. As of right now, there’s no announcements about a Wii U version and the preorder page doesn’t have a Wii U box art.

sprite.png

http://www.charlieintel.com/2014/05/03/wii-u-logo-found-within-call-of-duty-advanced-warfares-website-source-code/

Edited by lostmario
Start using the quote function

Can't wait. Also...turn Tvii something like a video upload function.

Techi Help Please

I've started experience problems online with Ghosts so I'm in looking to go down the Wii Lan Adaptor route. I have seen online that because the Wii has last gen USB that this option is actually worse than wireless. Any help or suggestions.

Techi Help Please

I've started experience problems online with Ghosts so I'm in looking to go down the Wii Lan Adaptor route. I have seen online that because the Wii has last gen USB that this option is actually worse than wireless. Any help or suggestions.

Wii U uses USB2.0. This runs at a standard 280Mb/s (35MB/s), so if you have faster Internet and a wireless router that's 802.11n, then chances are you will see a speed loss.

That said, unless I'm mistaken, the Ethernet Adapter means it will only run BASE-100 so that's 100Mb/s (though there are reports of it being BASE-10, which would be ridiculously slow, which is probably true)

Going the USB route means it'll be more stable, but could be slower

Edited by Serebii

Techi Help Please

Even with super duper internet connection you are going to experience problems online with Ghosts. It's just a shocking experience.

But wired connection is a lot better than wireless.

Techi Help Please

Always go wired for stability. Your Wii U would never run stream data faster than what USB2.0 can handle, however things like mobile interference will have a noticeable affect hence a wired connection is always preferential!