N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Is there already a MiiVerse app?

My thoughts are basically what Cube said. Like the full on MiiVerse platform that you can check whenever and wherever - the Playstation app has been great from news updates to messages and game invites as well as checking trophies and sending screenshots (it still REALLY needs push notifications though). Also you can buy games off PSN through it. I don't think that will be it but it's the only thing that I can think of that seems a good and obvious idea.

Is there already a MiiVerse app?

My thoughts are basically what Cube said. Like the full on MiiVerse platform that you can check whenever and wherever - the Playstation app has been great from news updates to messages and game invites as well as checking trophies and sending screenshots (it still REALLY needs push notifications though). Also you can buy games off PSN through it. I don't think that will be it but it's the only thing that I can think of that seems a good and obvious idea.

Yeah there is a miiverse mobile app, but it's just miiverse. Exactly like the 3DS one with no IM.

Nintendo have said they will release an app to buy digital games and such, and I expect the app you mention is definitely coming. I don't think it's enough as it serves current fans, when the desperation is getting NEW players.

Just 2 and a quarter hours til it begins. They should outline their smartphone strategy in full here. I'm staying up for it (in case there's PokéNews) so I'll post what happens

The English version won't be up for a while afterwards though...

Haha cute.

Like I need the English :p

You might not... But everyone else will...

Don't go too mad trying to impose what you (probably rightfully) believe to be Iwata's intended meaning in what he's saying. Everybody will just believe what they want to believe, as they read all manners of translations, until the official English version comes out...

Just looking out for your mental health here ;)

IWATA SAYS NINTENDO “HASN’T BEEN TARGETING CHILDREN ENOUGH”

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata explained during a conference held in Osaka this morning that one of the problems with the Kyoto based company is that it hasn’t targeted children enough. Iwata remains resolute and says that he’s “thinking on how to make the company stand up again.” We should hear how Nintendo plans to turn itself around during the investors meeting which takes place tomorrow.

“We haven’t been targeting children enough.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/29/iwata-says-nintendo-hasnt-been-targeting-children-enough/

helen-lovejoy.jpg

Just seen it Daz, unbelievable!

Ambiguous translation. We don't know the true intent without the context but 「子どもたちへのアプローチが十分ではなかった」is more "Our approach towards children has been insufficient", it could also be translated as "Targeting children is not enough". Semantics, but the wording people give can shift the meaning considerably.

This is the exact thing @Dcubed was just warning about :p

Edited by Serebii

Appealing to the modern kids means:

Mario Paintball Duty

Peaches selfy adventure

Yoshi's YOLO story

Wario's ADHD Adventure

Interesting what will come out of this.

As good as their games are, titles like pikmin, W101 and Wii Party U won't compete with the 'cool' SONY and MS games.

There are perception issues...again.

General consensus for it now by various professional translators is "Our child-targeting approach has been inadequate"

Great! Now it sounds like Iwata is trying to start a pedophile ring! That's a great improvement!

Though it would explain what happened with Flipnote Studio 3D and Nintendo Letterbox :p

Interestingly, from the supplementary release that just came, Nintendo isn't publishing Hyrule Warriors in Japan, Tecmo Koei is.

Confirmed not to be putting their games on other platforms.

They're still doing R&D on future platforms

They want to create a new market, not just expand on others.

He has admitted that the GamePad is the Wii U's weakness due to lack of recognition and people believing it's a Wii accessory. Price cut is not an option.

Nintendo is going to focus on proving why the GamePad is necessary and it is the company's highest priority. NFC games to be revealed at E3. Also, they have apparently "overcome hurdles in making virtual consoles" - Specifically Nintendo DS on the Wii U Virtual Console.

14.jpg

Gamepad profile to be increased, Mario Kart 8 to be released in May, fast start up of Gamepad designed so can play without TV quickly

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/140130/02.html (Video down here)

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

"Iwata's wants to change the definition of platform, previously it's been devices based, 3ds and WiiU are not compatible and users separate"

Nintendo Network ID to be used on 3DS, Wii U, FUTURE CONSOLE & HANDHELD and smartphones.

Smartphones to have an On Demand service. Software won't be optimised for smart devices. Aiming for 2014. Intended as a catalyst to push people to Nintendo devices.

Service is ID based, not device based, so content may carry between smartphone and console. Price lowers as you play. (Have to double check this. Feel like Gibson missed a bit - Will edit in after.)

They're also going to use this model on the Wii U.

They are also changing their attitude to licensing IPs and are seeking partners for further exposure.

Shifting to emerging markets in 2015.

Nintendo also know prices need to be lower.

They are intent on improving the quality of life. Seems they're branching out to tech away from games again as well. They also want to find synergy between the games and quality of life stuff.

What’s Mr. Iwata going to focus on for the next 10 years? The main theme: enhancing the quality of life through entertainment. The key word is health, Mr. Iwata says. Citing a flood of wearable devices already on the market, he says Nintendo is trying out something completely new: non-wearables to monitor your health.

These devices are running separately to the games consoles, and it appears that various software would be shifted to them

39l.jpg

40l.jpg

Regarding Smartphone service app

Mr. Iwata says he’s not aiming for short term revenue boost but the service app is aimed at building a bridge with customers and bringing more information on Nintendo. But he admits it’s hard for people to use the apps on a regular basis if it’s just for marketing purpose.

3DS will be the focus this year for profit, but the Wii U is the overall focus.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost