NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

By how the game looked? The game is beautiful. Yes, it started on the Wii, but that doesn't mean it stuck to the Wii's capabilities. Come on.

Yeah but that doesn't make it fresh. It looked crisper, but that doesn't make it fresh like you said. It was pretty much the same game that we'd played twice before 10 years back.

Like most of the Wii U library, it could have been made on the Wii in SD.

Which games really push the PS4/X1? I only own a Wii U, and I struggle to imagine a game that could be made better purely by being on the newer hardware. In fact I think all the games on the Wii U could, with cut down graphical fidelity, run on hardware 2 generations old.

I'm not talking about appearances - I'm well aware even the current hardware falls well short on that front, but in terms of gameplay, what innovations can be made that necessitate much more powerful hardware?

I am genuinely curious.. and hope I get a couple of responses :)

Splatoon I'm awaiting for release and general feedback - if there's no voice chat it's a likely no go for me, one to watch otherwise.

Zelda - tbh it's only a name, though it's a name that does pique the interest. I really need to see more of it though, no doubt I'll eventually get it unless they take some ridiculous direction with it; I can imagine I'll be a sucker regardless and eventually fall for it. ALBW did a lot to put me back on that wagon tbh.

The only major title that's getting my pants seriously at risk is X. Man. Dat game. I imagine that's gonna be day 1 for me right now just off the back of the strength of Xenoblade Chronicles. The biggest problem is that X and Zelda being the only two I'm even close to bothered(WatchDogs has seriously gone off my radar) - and how far away are they? Doubt we'll be seeing them before xmas next year if not even later :(

In the current trend of HD remakes on the new gens - I'd take a proper nice HD Xenoblade Chronicles remake on Wii U too. Reyn Time all up in this bitch!

It wasnt a weird word until I read your post and you ruined it for me by using it so much! lol

fresh_prince_of_belair.jpg

Edited by Rummy

I am not geting it for my PS4 I am not giveing Activison anymore of my money

God sake, stop being so childish with your threats.

You are clearly a fan of the Assassins Creed & Call Of Duty series of games.

Buy them for your PS4

We want Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare on Wii U

Good luck with that.

Which games really push the PS4/X1? I only own a Wii U, and I struggle to imagine a game that could be made better purely by being on the newer hardware. In fact I think all the games on the Wii U could, with cut down graphical fidelity, run on hardware 2 generations old.

I'm not talking about appearances - I'm well aware even the current hardware falls well short on that front, but in terms of gameplay, what innovations can be made that necessitate much more powerful hardware?

No game currently out really pushes the PS4/X1 at the moment, its too early for that.

Developers are still learning what they can and can't do on those consoles.

Edited by lostmario
Automerged Doublepost

No game currently out really pushes the PS4/X1 at the moment, its too early for that.

Developers are still learning what they can and can't do on those consoles.

Ok. I accept that as a good reason. However, I have to ask, why is that reason valid for Sony and Microsoft but wasn't valid for Nintendo last year?

Considering we had similar complaints last year, it begs the question. It's more valid this year (seriously, Nintendo does need more output focusing on the GamePad etc. this year. It's crazy), but last year...

Edited by Serebii

You're defining the games on one feature (graphics). My favourite thing about Infamous has been the photo feature. I enjoyed Destiny's online aspect and MMORPG aspect. I've loved the breadth of indie titles that have been available due to the architecture and capabilities of the console. None of these things are in isolation only available on the PS4, but they add up to a sum that surpasses it's parts.

To answer your second part, the ability to record and share while playing is just one thing that has been made available because of the greater power. Again, it goes beyond the graphical capability.

Wii U does this well in some regard (the technical capacity of the GamePad). It has, for numerous reasons, been less successful in a number of ways (sales, usage, support etc).

Though having said that - once Smash is done what's the next big thing to look forward to? What IS anyone here looking forward to after Smash?

..some of us aren't even particularly looking forward to Smash :red:

As far as my gaming interests go, both the Wii U and 3DS are struggling to give me games to look forward to, with only really the relatively unknown quantities that are The Legend of Zelda and Starfox. In all honesty, I don't even mind that much :heh:

I have games across multiple consoles and generations that I'd like to explore further, play through again or even begin for the first time and I'm not sure I would feel the freedom I do to dip into these games at my leisure if there was a constant stream of new content coming my way on a weekly basis. There's also the question of money and not really being able to justify spending £30-£40 on new games these days. Mario Kart 8 aside, it's likely that I'll be experiencing certain games months or even years after everyone else as there aren't too many games now that I simply have to have right away.

The situation with Wii U is depressing, in a way, and it would be nice to have something to get genuinely excited about but reading through the constant squabbles on here is becoming increasingly tiresome and makes a mockery of what gaming should be all about..

I don't need third party games when there is Awersome Nintendo games comeing

Apart from share/record features that have been already touched on, a more powerful machine essentially has fewer limitations. Originality should always shine through as gameplay and story elements courtesy of the developers, which could arguably be done on any machine. But if a great idea was pulled off on crappy hardware, you would argue it was great in spite of its hardware, rather than it was a great game and that a part of that was that it was able to push past limitations that were present in past games.

To branch out to something more than graphics, take a look at this:

xGkDq.gif

When I saw the trailer for that, I was pretty impressed. Now game developers can make a far more immersive game through adding additional character models that makes the gamer feel more like they're a part of that world. Which, for a game like AC, complements it perfectly. The game is about going into the Animus in which you view a virtual reconstruction of the world. In order to make the person in the Animus feel like they are really there, the crowds around them as well as the environment should look as real as possible. So I'd argue that the next gen hardware is making the games more engrossing (through graphics, number of character models, and effects), which is a definite leapfrog over the previous generation.

Edited by Sheikah

I think Wii U next big game after Super Smash Bros Wii U is Zelda at Christmas so I say discontinue Wii U and next year at E3 they announce there next gen console with Zelda comeing to it

I think Wii U next big game after Super Smash Bros Wii U is Zelda at Christmas so I say discontinue Wii U and next year at E3 they announce there next gen console with Zelda comeing to it

I'm pretty sure that there will be something before Zelda, as Zelda will likely be November/December 2015.

The only major title that's getting my pants seriously at risk is X. Man. Dat game. I imagine that's gonna be day 1 for me right now just off the back of the strength of Xenoblade Chronicles. The biggest problem is that X and Zelda being the only two I'm even close to bothered(WatchDogs has seriously gone off my radar) - and how far away are they? Doubt we'll be seeing them before xmas next year if not even later :(

Oh man, after this much delay, I realllllly wonder how much it will sell.

Perhaps a couple of 1000 worldwide?

I wonder if it will be marketed in any shape or form at all.

The negativity seems to be reaching crazy levels here, it's a big shame.

When it comes to their sequels feeling fresh, Nintendo trumps Sony and Microsoft easily. Amusing to imagine the reaction if Nintendo owned LittleBigPlanet and revealed number 3 that is exactly the same as number 2 just with more characters.

Ok. I accept that as a good reason. However, I have to ask, why is that reason valid for Sony and Microsoft but wasn't valid for Nintendo last year?

Considering we had similar complaints last year, it begs the question. It's more valid this year (seriously, Nintendo does need more output focusing on the GamePad etc. this year. It's crazy), but last year...

Sony and Microsoft get a pass on here that Nintendo clearly don't.

Oh man, after this much delay, I realllllly wonder how much it will sell.

Perhaps a couple of 1000 worldwide?

I wonder if it will be marketed in any shape or form at all.

Tbh, it's not a very good game.

Well, except for when Microsoft seemed to be trying to destroy the Xbox One before it was even released.

The big difference is that the people who play Sony and Microsoft consoles on here moved to them after being disappointed with Nintendo - many still love Nintendo's franchises, but hate how they currently are as a company.

The negativity towards Nintendo is because people care about Nintendo.

When it comes to their sequels feeling fresh, Nintendo trumps Sony and Microsoft easily. Amusing to imagine the reaction if Nintendo owned LittleBigPlanet and revealed number 3 that is exactly the same as number 2 just with more characters.

I think it's a little less of a problem with LBP for several reason. The main one being that Medial Molecule are only supervising the game's creation (hell, MM didn't even make the best LBP, the Vita version was made by Double Eleven and Tarsier Studios). The second one is, there hasn't been a PS4 version yet and there's no reason why there shouldn't be (nor at the same time making that cross platform, too).

I also think it's a little unfair saying 3 is just 2 with more characters. Because most of the game is about the tools for creation, a lot of its improvements are hidden from 'casual' users (e.g. There are 16 layers instead of 3, you can create your own power-ups, create trailers for your level). Seriously, do you honestly think it's just 2 with more characters? I can understand if you're bored of it as a game but they hardly just slapped a '3' on the box.

I kind of understand. I chose not to buy 2. There's no need to buy every entry in the series and I think that's fine. I think that's a model that works for Assassin's Creed and Little Big Planet, even Call of Duty.

It will be 3 console version within six years. Apart from the PS3 (which has LBP 1,2 and 3), all the LBP games releases have hit a new console bar LBP2. Is that really too much? (Genuine question, I'm think out loud here.)

But I can't stress how much Sony not getting a first-party studio to work on it makes this less of a problem for me. Medial Molecule would be wasted on it.

Tbh, it's not a very good game.

It's not fantastic, falls short of the promise they hyped, but I'm enjoying it more than I am The Last of Us after roughly equal amount of game time with each.

Ewwwwww.

Fair enough. Each to his own. I'm pretty hit and miss with open world games. And then dumb shit like not being able to shoot out of your car or being able to look directly up at helicopter to hack them.

I actually really like a lot of the gameplay like escaping the police in a car (it feels like the movie Drive) but the core narrative is a fucking mess.

You know as well as anyone that the XBO has been COMPLETELY destroyed by gaming fans, both on here and on other boards like GAF, particularly before it launched.

You mention Sony but you're forgetting that whilst they get the big, exclusive games ready, they have virtually every 3rd party title on their console AND those games run the best on their system. The PS4 is in a MUCH better state than the Wii U was at this point in its lifecycle, where it was being dropped by developers and retail.

My view on this is that I constantly see the other consoles doing things, where as I don't see Nintendo doing anything. And this is the importance of attending events like Gamescom.

So what if LBP feels similar, when you see so many new things coming out of the Gamescom press conferences. You have things to talk about and get you excited, new games, new trailers, new news.

This isn't the case with Nintendo, where we've just been left with, well... this. And when you have nothing coming out and third party support continually falling away it's just, urgh.

So... Nintendo Direct next week then? :blank::hmm:::shrug:

I'm guessing Wednesday to remind people about the MK8 update, and hopefully announce the amiibo plans/DLC.

I'm not sure how many times you need to be told or have it pointed out - but this is the WiiU thread, for a Nintendo console, and thus discussion in here will focus upon the WiiU and Nintendo more than Sony/MS. Criticisms of the others and games on the others get made in their respective threads in their respective forums. It may also just be the genuine case that a majority of people find the WiiU less favourable to themselves than the other consoles - tbh that's perfectly valid too.

However back to the WiiU - one reason for Nintendo not to get a pass - they've had more time than anyone to get down and dirty with their hardware. 3rd parties can't be expected to utilise the systems excellently off the bat(especially when reporting it is difficult to develop for), but I'd expect 1st party developers to be ahead of the curve with their own hardware.

Yet, as I mentioned a while ago, a number of WiiU owners will tell you the game that has so far made best use of the Gamepad and system was ZombiU - a 3rd party launch title. Where's the progression? It's had the jump on the competition yet to many appears to be in the worst position of the three.