Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

It will be interesting to see if they use it again. If they do use such a device again, I hope they use a screen with a better resolution.

Resolution isn't the Gamepad's main issue. They're limited by what video quality they can realistically beam wirelessly at good quality with zero latency.

WiFi tech hasn't moved on much since 2011/2012. They're already using a 5ghz chip, so there isn't much room to grow next time round unless there's a sudden breakthrough in wireless tech by the time the next console comes around.

You'll get a much more appreciateable improvement in image quality if you invest more bandwidth into the bit-rate than if you chuck more pixels at it (doing the latter wouldn't improve image quality by much, would increase the cost of the Gamepad and also increase the strain on the next console's GPU too - thus lowering graphical quality in general).

I reckon that they're better off focusing on things like improving the Gamepad's wireless range, the quality of the video stream, support for additional features like S3D (important if they want 3DS backwards compatibility and support for using the next handheld as a substitute Gamepad for multiplayer) and support for 4 displays instead of just 2. All things that would greatly improve the overall experience of using the console, without greatly increasing the cost of the machine.

Sorry but no. Nintendo charge us to use our Wii Virtual Console games on the Wii U

Since when did I have to pay a fee to play my Wii VC games in Wii Mode? You're talking nonsense.

Wii U VC games are seperate products from Wii VC games and you know that full well.

while Sony let us use digital PS One games on the PS3, PSP and PS Vita.

True, but the quality is far from what you get on the VC. Also, certain games do not work on PSP and Vita (and let's not even mention the whole PSP game/DLC situation - also, how about them PS2 and PS3 downloads on PS4 eh?)

Nintendo still restrict us to a single 3DS too. So we're not even "sidewards compatible" when it comes to digital games we've actually paid for. And lest we forget that the DS family hasn't supported GBA games since the DS Lite. Even though the hardware technically allows it.

Yeah, because you're supposed to slot your GBA carts into a non-existent slot... How about that UMD slot on that Vita! I love being able to not play my physical PSP games on my Vita ya know!

They already have GBA emulation up and running now on Wii U. There's no need to stick with the native functions when VC emulation allows them to do so much more now.

Plus the Wii did have an OS abstracting some of the hardware interaction. It's why certain games would boot into a different IOS. For example IOS30 was used for USB keyboard interaction.

Those functions only work on a game by game basis, they're not system wide - that's the problem. You can't get those functions working with individual games without going into each game's code base and remaking it - which is far too much work for each and every single Wii VC game - and still limited by what the Wii hardware is capable of - while also not allowing them to utilise more modern hardware features.

And if you're expecting the Wii U games to work on a successor console, ha. Do you want us to be stuck with a PowerPC architecture forever? Please lets get with the times and move onto an x86 one.

When Iwata himself has said that they want to build off the Wii U's hardware architecture? Of course I do! Why else would they want to build off of the Wii U's hardware!?

And x86 is hardly "modern", hell it's older than Power PC! They're more likely to move over to ARM than x86 - at least then they could build off of their 3DS tech.

Suggesting that they dump everything to start from scratch and chase the PS4/Xbone audience is absolute nonsense. They've already made their future direction clear - a unified OS, with hardware based on the Wii U architecture, that runs the same underlying code (and thus, featuring full BC with everything out of the box from day 1)

They would literally be able to launch their next console and handheld with hundreds (if not, possibly even thousands) of high quality games available from day 1, all at very affordable prices (which in this age of heavily price conscious consumers, is a HUGE selling point!), all using controllers that you already own!

Edited by Dcubed

I still have no idea why you think it's coming with a Gamepad. I mean, to include the Gamepad would be akin to the next Xbox being bundled with Kinect again. Just...why? Nobody is clamouring for it, it hasn't revolutionised anything, yet everyone who just wants the next console would have to stomach the cost of it. Nintendo would be repeating a really bad mistake.

Just make an optional second screen solution with their next handheld like Sony have done with the Vita. Nobody cares if the technology is worse than whatever the Gamepad uses. What people care about is cost and value for money.

The next console will be compatible with the Gamepad, in the same way the Wii U was compatible with the Wiimote and nunchuk.

A more appealing controller will allow them to drop the RRP of the console due to the exclusion of the gamepad's cost, but an optional Gamepad (either the Wii U's or a new one) will certainly be an option for those that want off-screen gameplay or for those that want to play Wii U titles.

Then there's also the fact that the next handheld will also connect to the next console in a much more cohesive way than the 3DS connects to the Wii U...the last thing they want is a shedload of controller options as that just confuses people.

So yeah, long story short...the next home console will definitely be Gamepad compatible, in the same way the Wii U works with the Wiimote and nunchuk :)

The next console will be compatible with the Gamepad, in the same way the Wii U was compatible with the Wiimote and nunchuk.

A more appealing controller will allow them to drop the RRP of the console due to the exclusion of the gamepad's cost, but an optional Gamepad (either the Wii U's or a new one) will certainly be an option for those that want off-screen gameplay or for those that want to play Wii U titles.

Then there's also the fact that the next handheld will also connect to the next console in a much more cohesive way than the 3DS connects to the Wii U...the last thing they want is a shedload of controller options as that just confuses people.

So yeah, long story short...the next home console will definitely be Gamepad compatible, in the same way the Wii U works with the Wiimote and nunchuk :)

Absolutely. GamePad is essential to gaming for me now. It may not be revolutionary, but it has been evolutionary for me. If the next console lacks it, I'll be so sad. People really don't appreciate how much it streamlines things. Is it perfect? No, but it's a good thing.

I hate going through cumbersome menus on the other platforms now. Playing GTA V after so long on the Wii U felt like a step back.

Having it be optional in future platforms is the way forward, and having current GamePads be compatible eases the expense for the ~10 million people with a Wii U already. It means developers may not use it, which sucks, but it shall be here.

Yup, that's the only way the Gamepad will continue to exist. No way are they going with a new one like was suggested by @Dcubed. And because it'll be optional, we may as well kiss goodbye any heavy in-game dependence on it next generation beyond a second screen.

Since when did I have to pay a fee to play my Wii VC games in Wii Mode? You're talking nonsense.

Wii U VC games are seperate products from Wii VC games and you know that full well.

True, but the quality is far from what you get on the VC. Also, certain games do not work on PSP and Vita (and let's not even mention the whole PSP game/DLC situation - also, how about them PS2 and PS3 downloads on PS4 eh?)

Come on now, you know that it's cheeky for them to be charging for the Wii U upgrades on Virtual Console. They could have done the 'links' to go direct to them like they have with the Wii games. It's the same thing the Vita does with PS One games.

I haven't had any problems with PS One game emulation on the Sony platforms except from when I've been injecting my own PS One ISOs. The ones they provide have all been fine.

Sony's solution to PS3 games on the PS4 is the PlayStation Now service. Which, though it's the best software solution to the situation, is too expensive and akin to making us pay twice.

Yeah, because you're supposed to slot your GBA carts into a non-existent slot... How about that UMD slot on that Vita! I love being able to not play my physical PSP games on my Vita ya know!

They already have GBA emulation up and running now on Wii U. There's no need to stick with the native functions when VC emulation allows them to do so much more now.

But Nintendo COULD have put a GBA slot onto their portables. They chose not to thus removing a physical backwards compatibility and thus sending us down the route of having to pay again via the Virtual Console (though that hasn't even come to fruition yet considering the only ones available are via the Ambassador program). I was also annoyed at Sony not bringing their physical UMD to digital game program to Europe too.

Those functions only work on a game by game basis, they're not system wide - that's the problem. You can't get those functions working with individual games without going into each game's code base and remaking it - which is far too much work for each and every single Wii VC game - and still limited by what the Wii hardware is capable of - not allowing them to utilise more modern hardware features.

Not exactly. Multiple games can all use the same IOS. There are multiple IOS to use depending on what functionality was required. It's not elegant but when you're running on a tiny memory footprint it was required.

When Iwata himself has said that they want to build off the Wii U's hardware architecture? Of course I do! Why else would they want to build off of the Wii U's hardware!?

And x86 is hardly "modern", hell it's older than Power PC! They're more likely to move over to ARM than x86 - at least then they could build off of their 3DS tech.

Suggesting that they dump everything to start from scratch and chase the PS4/Xbone audience is absolute nonsense. They've already made their future direction clear - a unified OS, with hardware based on the Wii U architecture, that runs the same underlying code (and thus, featuring full BC with everything out of the box from day 1)

They would literally be able to launch their next console and handheld with hundreds (if not, possibly even thousands) of high quality games available from day 1, all at very affordable prices (which in this age of heavily price conscious consumers, is a HUGE selling point!), all using controllers that you already own!

x86 is old, yes but it's also widely used. The biggest pushers of PowerPC used to be Apple and even they're using x86 CPUs now because it makes life easier.

I didn't suggest Nintendo try to get the PS4/Xbox One audience, I didn't even mention them. I'm just talking about hardware.

I'm not sure if the last bit was aimed at me either because I think it's great if they keep using the different controllers they've built up. But that doesn't require them to keep using hardware which is no longer the best choice for what they want to do.

A point that you should probably be pushing more is that a lot of the indie games on the Wii U are made using Unity (which Nintendo provide as part of the dev kit if I remember correctly) and that should abstract the programming away from hardware. Yes work would still need to happen to get Unity working with a new piece of hardware and the developers themselves would have to be involved but it would still be a lot less work than without it.

So you totally just side-stepped his point to make some snide potshots about things it also doesn't have. Have you considered a career in politics?

Sony have done a great job bringing vast amounts of PS1 games to the VC; contrast this to Nintendo with N64 titles. Add to that, you pay once and can play on PS3, PSP and Vita. What's not to love?

Regarding quality of emulation, you'll no doubt pick out some examples to try and make a point while the rest of the world doesn't give a crap. The emulation is altogether excellent; the games I play on Vita run great; better in some cases!

Not exactly. Multiple games can all use the same IOS. There are multiple IOS to use depending on what functionality was required. It's not elegant but when you're running on a tiny memory footprint it was required.

Now that the VC games have been made though, there's no way to change it now other than to go back in and re-code them to work with different IOSs, at which point, you might as well just remake the thing for Wii U natively (which they did)

With the next console however, that won't be necessary (and thus, no need to charge for the associated labour costs...)

So you totally just side-stepped his point to make some snide potshots about things it also doesn't have. Have you considered a career in politics?

Sony have done a great job bringing vast amounts of PS1 games to the VC; contrast this to Nintendo with N64 titles. Add to that, you pay once and can play on PS3, PSP and Vita. What's not to love?

I'm not disagreeing with him. It's good that they offer that cross console compatibility, but it comes with a lot of downsides regarding emulation quality; that's the point I'm making.

Nintendo's solution however will allow for perfect quality emulation across multiple platforms (on-going support for even further into the future too!) with no per-game work required. It's not about taking potshots, it's about stating facts. There are two different emulation methods being used here and that's the reason why Nintendo can't currently offer what Sony do without compromising on the quality that makes the VC desirable. Despite what it might look like on the outside, Nintendo's methods at work here are actually pretty forward thinking...

Edited by Dcubed

Surely the new handheld will be the gamepad equivalent next gen? Surely? Being bale to use the gamepad would also be an immense bonus.

I'm still hoping, and fairly confident that the new handheld will be able to work with the new console and we can play every single handheld game on the TV. With home console games not working the other way (otherwise how weak would it have to be). But you can play the home console games off tv in the same wifi vicinity.

It makes so much sense. And is the kind of thing nintendo need to do, will save droughts, and if the worst happens and they have no support again at least they can more easily provide content for both machines!!

Now that the VC games have been made though, there's no way to change it now other than to go back in and re-code them to work with different IOSs, at which point, you might as well just remake the thing for Wii U natively (which they did)

With the next console however, that won't be necessary (and thus, no need to charge for the associated labour costs...)

To be fair, the VC games were made over 20 years ago in some cases. Nintendo make the one emulator per console (and do very minor tweaks as necessary for individual games) and just plug in the ROM.

I know I keep bringing it back to Sony but it's relevant because they're in the same market; they don't charge us for the labour cost to play the PS One games on the PSP. The PS One is arguably more difficult to emulate than the NES and SNES too. They make the money back by an increase in sales because people buy them knowing they can play them on multiple platforms.

I don't know who uses what architecture and what-not, but they have to make it similar to the Sony and Microsoft consoles to at least get 3rd Party ports. If they make it too disimilar again they'll just miss out once more on far too many games!

3rd Parties need a relatively easy and as cheap as possible port process.

They also need Party Chat at OS level and better Virtual Console (I'll not be paying for the same games again on a new machine) maybe similar to a Netflix type service if they can (as has been said before).

As things stand I'll not be buying their next console, not at launch or at full price at least. I'm one customer they've effectively lost when really they shouldn't have done, if it wasn't for their backwards attitudes toward gaming.

Still, I'm one customer that I do hope they win back... unless they go 3rd or 2nd Party to either Microsoft or Sony, I'd actually prefer that!

I'm not disagreeing with him. It's good that they offer that cross console compatibility, but it comes with a lot of downsides regarding emulation quality; that's the point I'm making.

Dcubed, what the fuck are you talking about? Are you playing something different to me? I'm reasonably sure I've played more PS1 games on Vita than you, on account of you being firmly in the Nintendo camp.

Vita emulation is great, and people are more than happy with it. You're trying to justify Nintendo's poor decision to go with OTT emulation based on some 'perfection' criteria that almost certainly hardly anyone really cares about. Striving for some crazy level of 1:1 perfection resulting in hardly any games to play is pretty daft.

It's not about taking potshots, it's about stating facts. There are two different emulation methods being used here and that's the reason why Nintendo can't currently offer what Sony do without compromising on the quality that makes the VC desirable.

What absolute bull. "Without compromising on the quality that makes the VC desirable". So by that remark, PS1 games are undesirable? I could have sworn I really wanted to download Suikoden I and II this week. Silly me!

Edited by Sheikah

On the subject of 'perfect emulation', I'm not hugely impressed with the quality of some of Nintendo's VC efforts. They were discussing this on Radio Free Nintendo quite recently and also agreed that there were some quality issues with some of their games, particularly on the Wii VC.

SMB3 is a good example; it ran terribly on the Wii and had some weird border problems.

On the subject of 'perfect emulation', I'm not hugely impressed with the quality of some of Nintendo's VC efforts. They were discussing this on Radio Free Nintendo quite recently and also agreed that there were some quality issues with some of their games, particularly on the Wii VC.

SMB3 is a good example; it ran terribly on the Wii and had some weird border problems.

Anytime someone brings up the VC and SMB3 I now instantly go to John trying to play it on the 3DS. Man, he really hated it and used to love his rants about it. :D

Those "problems" are actually accurate. That's how it runs on actual NES hardware. Some people never noticed the "border" because their TV would cut it off due to overscan. That "border" is actually the NES hardware manually drawing each vertical line of the game field to simulate scrolling (because the NES hardware wasn't really capable of scrolling in multiple directions normally). Likewise, slowdown is replicated faithfully (I still own a NES and an original cart of SMB3, so I would know...)

Dcubed, what the fuck are you talking about? Are you playing something different to me? I'm reasonably sure I've played more PS1 games on Vita than you, on account of you being firmly in the Nintendo camp.

Unless you own over 50 downloadable PS1 games via PSN, you'd be dead wrong.

Vita emulation is great, and people are more than happy with it. You're trying to justify Nintendo's poor decision to go with OTT emulation based on some 'perfection' criteria that almost certainly hardly anyone really cares about. Striving for some crazy level of 1:1 perfection resulting in hardly any games to play is pretty daft.

It's serviceable for the audience that Sony targets (more on that later), but I would absolutley not describe it as "great". I recently leant my Vita to @Glen\-i (and he will back me up on this), he was playing through FF7 and he had to stop playing on there because the emulation was riddled with problems - garbled graphics, dodgy sound, flickering target icons that went crazy and all sorts. He gave up and played it on my PS3 instead (which is better in general, but still problematic - I could list all sorts of issues I've noticed with various games, like nasty broken audio in Silent Hill, slowdown and graphical glitches in FF9 etc).

What absolute bull. "Without compromising on the quality that makes the VC desirable". So by that remark, PS1 games are undesirable? I could have sworn I really wanted to download Suikoden I and II this week. Silly me

You also seem to lack reading comprehension. I never said that PS1 games were undesirable (hell, I myself as a person supposedly "firmly in the Nintendo camp" alone am proof of that!), but rather that the emulation quality is a big part of what makes the VC in particular desirable.

People who are into the PS1 downloads don't really seem to care much about emulation quality really. They care more about the price and the ability to play a few old favourites on all of their modern devices. For this audience, the emulation quality that Sony offers is "good enough" - after all, nostalgia doesn't play nearly as big a role with Sony's consoles as it does with Nintendo's - so naturally it doesn't really matter all that much. The even lower quality of their PS2 emulation (which I find utterly unacceptable and have refused to purchase a single PS2 Classic because of it) and the reliance on PSNow as a means of getting PS3 games working on PS4 is even further proof that their priorities (and their audience's priorities) simply lie elsewhere.

Nintendo however value high quality emulation/native compatibility above all else and so does their audience. The price of their VC games also reflects the worksmanship that goes into each release; they simply can't offer their VC games for as low a price as Sony's because they put much more R&D work/QA testing into each individual release. You only need look at the Miiverse posts for these games and you'll see how many people on there talk about how happy they are about how certain glitches in games still work properly (screenshots showcasing old glitches in general are always really popular in VC game communities), or how they really like certain special effects in old games that are replicated correctly in their VC release, or how important 60hz support is (and while I'm at it, the fact that so many people are raving about Suikoden 1 & 2 being made available in Europe is also proof that people who buy PS1 classics just don't care about things like 60hz support, especially when these games have been available on the US PSN store for some time now...)

With their next console however, they should be able to offer the same level of cross-console compatibility without compromising on that emulation/native playback quality, because of their decision to go with Wii U based hardware. That is a good thing! It's the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned! :D

It's just a matter of two different ideologies serving two different audiences. Simple as ::shrug:

Edit: And while I'm at it, the accuracy of the VC emulation is what allows NES Remix to work. The game is entirely based on exploiting the little intricacies, exploits, timings and minor aspects that made these games what they are originally. If the emulation was inaccurate, the game would simply fall apart.

Edited by Dcubed

If anyone's interested, I was charged a £1 fee for buying Captain Toad off of the Russian eShop. Still cost half of what it would've cost otherwise though :)

That's something I don't know yet. I get charged quarterly fees but I never pay attention to them.

Those "problems" are actually accurate. That's how it runs on actual NES hardware. Some people never noticed the "border" because their TV would cut it off due to overscan. That "border" is actually the NES hardware manually drawing each vertical line of the game field to simulate scrolling (because the NES hardware wasn't really capable of scrolling in multiple directions normally). Likewise, slowdown is replicated faithfully (I still own a NES and an original cart of SMB3, so I would know...)

Well there goes the point of perfect emulation. Because why perfectly emulate games that are broken to begin with. So dumb.

Unless you own over 50 downloadable PS1 games via PSN, you'd be dead wrong.

Care to prove that with a screenshot?

Even if you do, I strongly doubt you have played through all these on Vita (given many have been available on PSP/PS3 for a long time before). It seems like a pointless argument anyway, since you just dismissed inherent problems in NES games while later down seemingly picking up on trivial problems with about 3 PS1 games.

It's serviceable for the audience that Sony targets (more on that later), but I would absolutley not describe it as "great". I recently leant my Vita to @Glen\-i (and he will back me up on this), he was playing through FF7 and he had to stop playing on there because the emulation was riddled with problems - garbled graphics, dodgy sound, flickering target icons that went crazy and all sorts. He gave up and played it on my PS3 instead (which is better in general, but still problematic - I could list all sorts of issues I've noticed with various games, like nasty broken audio in Silent Hill, slowdown and graphical glitches in FF9 etc).

I can categorically disarm at least part of your argument here; I have played FF9 from start to finish and it runs like a dream.

Calling it 'serviceable' is really quite ignorant. Games on it run great, to the point that only your hardcore basement dwellers really have anything to complain about for the overwhelming majority of games.

You also seem to lack reading comprehension. I never said that PS1 games were undesirable (hell, I myself as a person supposedly "firmly in the Nintendo camp" alone am proof of that!), but rather that the emulation quality is a big part of what makes the VC in particular desirable.

I clearly don't lack reading comprehension. I'm really the last guy you should be saying that to.

You basically said hardcore faithful levels of emulation was what made the VC games desirable. But you see, customers who want to pick up games on either VC or PSN have the same expectations. PSN/VC are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable terms in this context. Nintendo customers want the games they loved because they are great and they don't want them to run like shit, which is the same as PS1 gamers.

People who are into the PS1 downloads don't really seem to care much about emulation quality really.

I suppose you've got a source to prove that? You're also really not one to comment as your perceptions are pretty misaligned with that of most gamers here.

The price of their VC games also reflects the worksmanship that goes into each release; they simply can't offer their VC games for as low a price as Sony's because they put much more R&D work/QA testing into each individual release.

Well that's great and all. Do you have a source for that, perhaps a breakdown of the cost and man hours they spend sprucing up each title for both PS1 devs/Nintendo?

You only need look at the Miiverse posts for these games and you'll see how many people on there talk about how happy they are about how certain glitches in games still work properly (screenshots showcasing old glitches in general are always really popular in VC game communities), or how they really like certain special effects in old games that are replicated correctly in their VC release, or how important 60hz support is (and while I'm at it, the fact that so many people are raving about Suikoden 1 & 2 being made available in Europe is also proof that people who buy PS1 classics just don't care about things like 60hz support, especially when these games have been available on the US PSN store for some time now...)

This is...really bad. You're openly admitting people are thankful for glitches in Nintendo VC games that preserve the nostalgia element, then complain when PS1 games released on the EU store are 50Hz, just like back in the day? Da fuq?

Edited by Sheikah

Yo.

1618628_510071985777917_20097090_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=664a2c5ef51077fe60885a812b505e4c&oe=55523096&__gda__=1431734718_03e485c7d21f0f5b0ca432b188e4780e

That wasn't a one-off event either, it happened 4 or 5 times before I said "Screw it"

PS Vita emulation is laughable compared to the 3DS.

Yo.

1618628_510071985777917_20097090_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=664a2c5ef51077fe60885a812b505e4c&oe=55523096&__gda__=1431734718_03e485c7d21f0f5b0ca432b188e4780e

That wasn't a one-off event either, it happened 4 or 5 times before I said "Screw it"

PS Vita emulation is laughable compared to the 3DS.

Have you seen others talk about that as well? Something that bad looks like its a problem with your Vita or maybe a corrupted file. I never had any problems playing FFIX on my Vita either.