N-Europe

Wii U VC

madeinbeats

I don't know ho excited I'd be for N64 virtual console games, I'd actually prefer a bigger release of SNES games. N64 still feels recent to me and can't think of any that I'd love on my console... Excite bike 64 maybe just so I don't have to get my N64 out to play it...

What games would people be excited to play, maybe there's some I'm missing. Mischief Makers maybe...

I also think because they're 3D they've aged a bit worse, but SNES is almost the height of 2D gameplay.

I agree, most N64 games have not aged well at all. The NES and a lot of the N64(3D games)games I've no desire to ever play again which is a shame because there were a lot of games I loved on them. They're too ugly. The SNES has aged well.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know ho excited I'd be for N64 virtual console games, I'd actually prefer a bigger release of SNES games. N64 still feels recent to me and can't think of any that I'd love on my console... Excite bike 64 maybe just so I don't have to get my N64 out to play it...

What games would people be excited to play, maybe there's some I'm missing. Mischief Makers maybe...

I also think because they're 3D they've aged a bit worse, but SNES is almost the height of 2D gameplay.

Nintendo are almost out of first party SNES games to release. It's just on third parties now. Here's the Nintendo published ones we have yet to see:

SNES

SimCity - Will never happen. Got removed off the Wii Virtual Console due to EA.

Mario Paint - Unlikely (Mouse required)

Super Scope 6 - Unlikely (Super Scope required)

Battle Clash - Unlikely (Super Scope required)

Super Play Action Football - NA Only. Unlikely due to license

World League Basketball - Unlikely due to license

StarFox - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Yoshi's Safari - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)

Super Mario All-Stars - I don't think this is likely, unfortunately

Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)

Super Hockey - Unlikely due to license

Super Tennis

Mario & Wario - Unlikely (Japan only and Mouse required)

Stunt Race FX - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Tin Star - North America Only

Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball - NA Only. Unlikely due to license

Uniracers - Not going to happen due to lawsuit by Pixar

Wario's Woods - We got the NES version

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Japan only

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Kirby's Ghost Trap

Super Mario RPG (Requires Square Enix to pull their foot out)

Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run - Unlikely due to license

Tetris Attack

Kirby's Star Stacker

Wrecking Crew '98 - Japan only. Unlikely.

Super Famicom Wars - Japan only

Sutte Hakkun - Japan Only

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Japan only

Total remaining eligible first party titles outside Japan: 4

Why does the Super FX Chip make it unlikely?

And Uni Rally, what pixar lawsuit? Loved that game.

You put Super Tennis but gave no reason not to put it up...

And I'm happy with 3rd parties!!

Nice that they pretty much have them all out though. Would love a future console with every single Nintendo game every released on it!

Why does the Super FX Chip make it unlikely?

You put Super Tennis but gave no reason not to put it up...

And I'm happy with 3rd parties!!

Nice that they pretty much have them all out though. Would love a future console with every single Nintendo game every released on it!

Super FX has a host of both emulation and licensing issues. That's why Yoshi's Island has only been made available through the GBA port which removes the Super FX chip requirement.

Incidentally, NES is pretty much done, too, with just a handful of titles remaining

F-1 Race - Unlikely due to license

Wild Gunman

Hogan's Alley

Kung-Fu Master - Unlikely due to the license (was based on a Jackie Chan movie)

Stack-up - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.

Gyromite - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.

Gumshoe

Nazo no Murasame Jo

Pro Wrestling

Slalom - Actually unsure about this. Was made by Rare.

Famicom Grand Prix: F1 Race - Japan Only

Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally - Japan Only

R.C. Pro-Am - Same as Slalom

Famicom Wars - Japan Only

Tetris - Licensing

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - Japan only

Cobra Triangle - Same as Slalom

Mother - Japan Only

Barker Bill's Trick Shooting - Licensing issues

NES Play Action Football - North America only

Star Tropics

Snake Rattle 'n' Roll - Same as Slalom & Mattel Licensing issues

Pin-Bot - Same as Slalom

Nintendo World Cup - Japan Only

Time Twist: On the Outskirts of History... - Japan Only

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Japan Only

Fire Emblem Gaiden - Japan Only

Yoshi's Cookie - Weird licensing issues

Joy Mech Fight - Japan Only

Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

Total remaining eligible first party titles outside Japan: 6

Edited by Serebii

Also, you dismissed Super Scope but that didn't stop Duck Hunt :)

They need to sort their lives out and bring RC Pro Am and Cobra triangle over. Plus Gunsmoke and Kung Fu HAVE to be released!!

Sounds like they need to sort 3rd parties out then!!

Also, you dismissed Super Scope but that didn't stop Duck Hunt :)

They need to sort their lives out and bring RC Pro Am and Cobra triangle over. Plus Gunsmoke and Kung Fu HAVE to be released!!

Well when they bring out Yoshi's Safari with Wii Remote support, then I'll amend the list :p

Nintendo are almost out of first party SNES games to release. It's just on third parties now. Here's the Nintendo published ones we have yet to see:

SNES

SimCity - Will never happen. Got removed off the Wii Virtual Console due to EA.

Mario Paint - Unlikely (Mouse required)

Super Scope 6 - Unlikely (Super Scope required)

Battle Clash - Unlikely (Super Scope required)

Super Play Action Football - NA Only. Unlikely due to license

World League Basketball - Unlikely due to license

StarFox - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Yoshi's Safari - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)

Super Mario All-Stars - I don't think this is likely, unfortunately

Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)

Super Hockey - Unlikely due to license

Super Tennis

Mario & Wario - Unlikely (Japan only and Mouse required)

Stunt Race FX - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Tin Star - North America Only

Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball - NA Only. Unlikely due to license

Uniracers - Not going to happen due to lawsuit by Pixar

Wario's Woods - We got the NES version

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Japan only

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Kirby's Ghost Trap

Super Mario RPG (Requires Square Enix to pull their foot out)

Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run - Unlikely due to license

Tetris Attack

Kirby's Star Stacker

Wrecking Crew '98 - Japan only. Unlikely.

Super Famicom Wars - Japan only

Sutte Hakkun - Japan Only

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Japan only

Total remaining eligible first party titles outside Japan: 4

I still take issue with this list every time you post it... Why aren't we likely to get Tinstar or Super Mario RPG? It's not like we haven't gotten region exclusive games released world wide before... And with SMRPG, it's not like we haven't gotten it released on the VC before, nor did S-E refuse to work out a deal with Capcom to get the original SNES version of Breath of Fire released on the Wii U VC...

Also with the Zapper being supported on the NES VC now, why is Superscope still a no go? It's effectively the same thing... (in fact, emulation wise, it's actually easier to do since the way it works is closer to how the Wii Remote does than the Zapper is)

Likewise, why do you never highlight Super Tennis? AFAIK there are no real licensing issues that could theoretically get in the way of a re-release...

As for the rest? As it stands? I agree that the rest are currently unlikely (though why they never seem to want to re-release the SNES version of Wario's Woods is a complete mystery to me!), but Super Mario All Stars has a better chance than the rest because they have the option of only making it available to people who have bought all 4 NES games on the eShop or they can offer it for a higher price (the reason why it never came out on the Wii VC was because they had no way to do bundles or discounts or anything like what they can do now on the Wii U eShop and releasing it in a standard way would've completely de-valued the original NES versions of the SMB games - hence why they released the VC version of All Stars at retail instead).

And as for your NES list...

F-1 Race - Unlikely due to license

Wild Gunman

Hogan's Alley

Kung-Fu Master - Unlikely due to the license (was based on a Jackie Chan movie)

Stack-up - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.

Gyromite - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.

Gumshoe

Nazo no Murasame Jo

Pro Wrestling

Slalom - Actually unsure about this. Was made by Rare.

Famicom Grand Prix: F1 Race - Japan Only

Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally - Japan Only

R.C. Pro-Am - Same as Slalom

Famicom Wars - Japan Only

Tetris - Licensing

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - Japan only

Cobra Triangle - Same as Slalom

Mother - Japan Only

Barker Bill's Trick Shooting - Licensing issues

NES Play Action Football - North America only

Star Tropics

Snake Rattle 'n' Roll - Same as Slalom & Mattel Licensing issues

Pin-Bot - Same as Slalom

Nintendo World Cup - Japan Only

Time Twist: On the Outskirts of History... - Japan Only

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Japan Only

Fire Emblem Gaiden - Japan Only

Yoshi's Cookie - Weird licensing issues

Joy Mech Fight - Japan Only

Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

Total remaining eligible first party titles outside Japan: 6

Again, why is Pro Wrestling not highlighted? And why is Mother not highlighted when it famously has a fully complete English localisation that was unreleased?

Also aren't Gyromite and Stack-up both playable without ROB? IIRC, you could have a second player (with a second controller) substitute for ROB's functions in those games...

Your list is also missing To The Earth as a Zapper title...

Edited by Dcubed

Game is god tier.

Uniracers was known by the working title "1x1" during development. Shortly after the game's release, DMA Design was sued by Pixar for allegedly copying the unicycle design and concept from their 1987 short film Red's Dream. Mike Dailly, one of the developers at DMA Design, commented, "The problem with Pixar was that they seemed to think that any computer generated unicycle was owned by them." DMA Design lost the lawsuit, and as a result, Nintendo had to terminate production of further Unirally cartridges. According to Dailly, "The deal was that Nintendo wouldn't make any more carts so Unirally only sold the 300k initial run"

I'd just be happy it S-E would release their VC games over here in the west.

Haha. I remember that game. My mate had it and it was awful. :D

I still take issue with this list every time you post it... Why aren't we likely to get Tinstar or Super Mario RPG? It's not like we haven't gotten region exclusive games released world wide before... And with SMRPG, it's not like we haven't gotten it released on the VC before, nor did S-E refuse to work out a deal with Capcom to get the original SNES version of Breath of Fire released on the Wii U VC...

Also with the Zapper being supported on the NES VC now, why is Superscope still a no go? It's effectively the same thing... (in fact, emulation wise, it's actually easier to do since the way it works is closer to how the Wii Remote does than the Zapper is)

Likewise, why do you never highlight Super Tennis? AFAIK there are no real licensing issues that could theoretically get in the way of a re-release...

As for the rest? As it stands? I agree that the rest are currently unlikely (though why they never seem to want to re-release the SNES version of Wario's Woods is a complete mystery to me!), but Super Mario All Stars has a better chance than the rest because they have the option of only making it available to people who have bought all 4 NES games on the eShop or they can offer it for a higher price (the reason why it never came out on the Wii VC was because they had no way to do bundles or discounts or anything like what they can do now on the Wii U eShop and releasing it in a standard way would've completely de-valued the original NES versions of the SMB games - hence why they released the VC version of All Stars at retail instead).

And as for your NES list...

Again, why is Pro Wrestling not highlighted? And why is Mother not highlighted when it famously has a fully complete English localisation that was unreleased?

Also aren't Gyromite and Stack-up both playable without ROB? IIRC, you could have a second player (with a second controller) substitute for ROB's functions in those games...

Noted. Shall alter the lists accordingly :)

Well when they bring out Yoshi's Safari with Wii Remote support, then I'll amend the list :p

I can't wait to see the Super Scope attachment for the Wii Remote :heh:

N64 games on the Wii U Virtual Console isn't a huge deal for me, at this point. I can't really see myself downloading any as I have everything I want across N64 and Wii VC as it is and would rather wait until all these classics become available on a Nintendo handheld.. and surely their next portable will be capable of that : peace:

[TWEET]583412889500962816[/TWEET]

DS games have them as well!

Anyway, I should let you guys know that Mario 64 is the 60hz US version (YES!!!! :yay: ) but DK64 is the 50hz PAL version (still runs better than the N64 cart ever did though, PAL or NTSC, but it's gonna be inferior to the US Wii U VC version...)

I'm really surprised that they jumped right into DK64... That game is quite the challenge to emulate properly because it is one of those titles that made use of the N64's dreaded "Microcode" (The Wii wasn't able to run any game that made use of them, nor any games that didn't just use Nintendo's standard API code - hence why the release list was so small). The fact that they have that working here (assuming that they have Controller Pak support working this time around!) means that they'll be able to release a much wider selection of N64 titles this time around! :yay:

And as it seems that they're not necessarily sticking to the hard and fast "FIGS localisation = 50hz" rule, which gives me hope that we might actually see a fair few 60hz releases after all...

... I fear for Paper Mario though :( (OoT and MM might actually be 60hz versions though because 60hz PAL versions do exist - they made 60hz PAL versions for the Zelda Collectors Discs on the GCN)

Either way, it's good to finally have suspend saves with N64 games! I've wanted it for so long! :yay: The games look good in HD as well (not massively improved over the 480p of the Wii VC, but it is noticeably better) And proper rumble support this time will be nice as well. I just wish that it supported the GCN Controller adapter :(

As for DS? I'm pleasantly surprised at how well MKDS and Wario Ware Touched hold up on a HDTV! :D They feel great to use in Large Screen mode as well! (touch screen focused games like Kirby's Canvas Curse and Trauma Center are gonna feel great using that mode! :D )

Bit of a shame that you can't do button remapping at all though (I can understand why they'd limit it, because of how important the standard button layout is to making DS games work, but it's still a bit of a shame that I can't at least swap L/R and ZL/ZR) - and of course the lack of any wireless/online multiplayer is a huge bummer, especially in a game like Mario Kart DS :(

As far as single player games go though? It's pretty great all round! I can't wait to play through the DS Castlevania trilogy on here! :D (And suspend saves are gonna be a godsend for those games, as well as stuff like Metroid Prime Pinball!)

Oh BTW!

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Jetpack is still in DK64!!!

Could this mean that other Rareware games might actually end up being possible?

I'm so psyched about this, though. I doubt I'll buy too many DS games (I have a large tower of DS games to the left of me), but N64 ones may need to be done :)

Me too. My DS VC buy list will be pretty selective though. No multiplayer focused games (what's the point?) and only games that would really benefit from it.

N64 buys will be generally limited to either 60hz only or Rareware games (any Rare games that get released will end up running so much better than their original cart counterparts anyway!)

If the 60hz N64 release list turns out to be really small though as I originally suspected (most N64 games got a FIGS localisation), I might have to consider importing...

Super Mario 64 is a pleasant exception thankfully! Here's hoping that they're mostly sensible about this... Though of course all this could be avoided if they would just let us pick which bloody version we wanted! (Come on! Please don't lump us with 50hz Paper Mario and Waverace 64!!!)

Edited by Dcubed

Am I the only one who now wants N64-Castlevania games, at least Legacy of Darkness?

And as fot those games, I would rather get PAL-version of those, as AFAIK those were more polished than their USA-counterparts with more refined gameplay and added voiceacting.

But hey, great we finally have this. I already got Mario 64 & DK64. Great times ahead.

Am I the only one who now wants N64-Castlevania games, at least Legacy of Darkness?

And as fot those games, I would rather get PAL-version of those, as AFAIK those were more polished than their USA-counterparts with more refined gameplay and added voiceacting.

But hey, great we finally have this. I already got Mario 64 & DK64. Great times ahead.

Yeah, I wanna give them a try. I know that they're meant to be garbage, but I still would like to give them a punt, if only for a laugh :laughing:

Yeah, I wanna give them a try. I know that they're meant to be garbage, but I still would like to give them a punt, if only for a laugh :laughing:

I played the first one back in the day and found it absolutely awful. Still, I wouldn't mind giving it another go. Same goes for Holy Magic Century. :D

Very excited for Mario 64..The physics engine in that game and the movement options given to the player are simply unreal. It's incredibly that they got it so right in 1996..gaming perfection.

Siglemic recently did a world record 120 Star Run, and it's incredible. He completes the game in 1 hour and 44 minutes (that's more than a star per minute). It really makes you appreciate how well the game is designed, particularly when he gets to Tick-Tock Clock at 1:30:40. Well worth watching..it's amazing <3

Ooo, nice seeing N64 games on the VC. Picked up Super Mario 64 for the offer price they had, may pick up DK-64 at a later date. In no rush to get it, but it's on my watch list. I've still got Tropical Freeze to finish, so once i've done that i'll pick up 64.

I would have killed for DK64 on the Wii VC back in the day. As it stands though I don't care too much now as I have my N64 set up to my TV and original cartridge.

I'm also not into those collect-a-thon games anymore, I loved this game back in the day, one of my favourites of all time even, but I just can't stand that type of gameplay now.

I guess that's why I actually really liked Nuts & Bolts, I love the Banjo world and characters but Cba for another game of that genre so was pleasantly surprised to play it in a whole new style.

How do they look? I think N64 games look much better in the original resolution. Banjo Kazooie still looks beautiful on my TV through the right picture settings on my N64 but my downloaded XBLA version shows the true horror of those textures and ruins the feel a bit for me.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!