N-Europe

Wii U VC

madeinbeats

Ca'man, even I know what he's saying here. The manuals will have been in colour but were printed in black and white for cost purposes (for proof - the official artwork images contained within manuals usually feature elsewhere throughout the game/in magazines, but in colour). Even though this point is trivial compared to the rest of what he was saying, he's arguing that Nintendo shouldn't include the manual in black and white just because it was at the time, if they can now offer something better.

You don't know that. They could have greyscaled it on their side before sending it to the printer and thus the master document is greyscaled.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess they could have greyscaled the document and saved over the master. If they were truly high on crack or something, sure.

Not at all likely though, is it? Also who wouldn't just print in greyscale as opposed to wasting time converting to greyscale then printing it?

If you wouldn't mind that would be great. I've read people saying that they are and that they aren't so it would nice to see what the deal is.

Both my Advance Wars and Mario & Luigi are in back and white. M&L were bought near launch so I don't think it was a second printing or whatever.

If you wouldn't mind that would be great. I've read people saying that they are and that they aren't so it would nice to see what the deal is.
Both my Advance Wars and Mario & Luigi are in back and white. M&L were bought near launch so I don't think it was a second printing or whatever.

Y'all ignoring me or something? :hehe:

˅˅˅

Metroid Fusion is in colour, but Advance Wars and Mario & Luigi are both black and white.

Advance Wars is so... damn... good! :D

Its been too long! :heart:

I've literally not played it since the early GBA days but already it's all coming back to me, I might be playing it to review but I'm certainly going to enjoy this. :)

Let's go to war! :awesome:

Not entirely related to the Wii U VC... buuuuttt...

The guys working on the DS emulator for PC have managed to figure out how to emulate DS games in high resolution!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798812

nyCT8M5.png

HT4NAEl.png

I always thought that this would be impossible, given the weird way that the DS renders polygons...

This means that it's possible (and very likely - given that Nintendo always love to render N64 games in high res when they emulate them) that the DS games that come out on the Wii U VC will actually be rendered in HD when they get released! :D (and if rendering in high res is possible, then I imagine that an option for texture filtering is also possible too :) )

Edited by Dcubed

Wow. It's surprising how much better that looks.

Yeah it makes a tremendous difference, arguably even more of a difference than what you would see with just about any other 3D game console!

I mean, something like this...

QAW96t4.png

... is just utterly staggering! I can hardly believe it's the same game! :o

That being said... Rendering DS games in HD really does dramatically alter the look of the games away from their original intended looks in many cases (the Idolmaster shot above is actually a pretty good example of this). If they do offer HD rendering, I hope they also implement an option to render the games in their original resolution and without texture filtering... (Same goes for other future consoles that get added to the VC - would be nice to be able to re-experience playing N64 games in super bluro vision, in addition to playing them in HD :) )

Yeah it makes a tremendous difference, arguably even more of a difference than what you would see with just about any other 3D game console!

I mean, something like this...

QAW96t4.png

... is just utterly staggering! I can hardly believe it's the same game! :o

That being said... Rendering DS games in HD really does dramatically alter the look of the games away from their original intended looks in many cases (the Idolmaster shot above is actually a pretty good example of this). If they do offer HD rendering, I hope they also implement an option to render the games in their original resolution and without texture filtering... (Same goes for other future consoles that get added to the VC - would be nice to be able to re-experience playing N64 games in super bluro vision, in addition to playing them in HD :) )

I think it is possible. If they get M2 to do it like the GBA, then we'll get the option.

Fingers crossed as they do look stunning.

I think it is possible. If they get M2 to do it like the GBA, then we'll get the option.

Fingers crossed as they do look stunning.

Well if their N64 re-releases on GCN and Wii are anything to go by, we'll almost certainly get HD rendering for all non SNES/GBA 3D games that get VC releases. The big question for me though is, will we also get an option to play at the original resolution and quality as on the original consoles too...

No way that is the same game using the same assets.... That would be amazing if true!

featured-images_s18.jpg

Metroid Prime Hunters is another one that gets just an unbelievable boost when rendered in high res!

Before...

AjE99CI.png

and after...

qfTJbdk.jpg

Before...

Src3ef7.png

... And after! :o

QlVDtKs.jpg

It's just amazing!

Come to think of it... It would fit nicely in a nerdy edition of RBION actually :p

Edited by Dcubed

Well if their N64 re-releases on GCN and Wii are anything to go by, we'll almost certainly get HD rendering for all non SNES/GBA 3D games that get VC releases. The big question for me though is, will we also get an option to play at the original resolution and quality as on the original consoles too...

featured-images_s18.jpg

Come to think of it... It would fit nicely in a nerdy edition of RBION actually :p

True.

I'm not surprised at all this really. I mean the assets for Nintendo's titles on the Wii were much better than the Wii could output. That's why games like Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy etc. look fantastic when rendered in HD on Dolphin.

This is unbelievable. If you look at the girl's features, her eyes and lips are drawn to a completely different level of detail to what was originally displayed.

Assuming assets like this are on every DS cartridge, Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass could look much more like Wind Waker than they did at the time. If Nintendo builds its DS emulator as well as this, I would want a much bigger collection that I thought.

@Dcubed, you definitely don't need to type before and after. ;):heh:

*EDIT*

I think it's a bit unfair how the original DS versions are so blownup. :D

If you scale these down to 256 × 192 (the actual resolution of the NDS screens) the difference is a little less insane:

mfWVHcq.png

Edited by RedShell

Unfair resolution comparisons aside, I think we can all agree we want those increased visuals when DS emulation hits Wii U. That improvement alone might actually justify whatever price tag Nintendo decides to slap onto DS VC titles. Might even allow TV/Gamepad play rather than having both images on the gamepad.

Be nice if they could somehow work online into multiplayer games too. Especially since the DS online servers will be long gone by then.

I also wonder if we'll ever see something like this with 3DS games. If DS games look this much nicer, surely 3DS titles will look even better?

Might even allow TV/Gamepad play rather than having both images on the gamepad.

I'm naturally assuming that when DS games come around on the VC that they will be able to use both screens - TV= top screen, Gamepad=bottom screen - at least I really hope this will be an option, otherwise it'll seem a bit pointless to me. ::shrug:

If they can get multiplayer working on new servers as well though that would be phenomenal but... well, we shall see what E3 brings, with any luck Nintendo will have a few surprises regarding online for us, I can only hope but if not then oh well. :heh:

It's nice to dream at least. : peace:

How much do we think sd game are going to be? Match the n64 at £9 or even more expensive? Knowing Nintendo they'll do something stupid like £15....

However good they look, I'm not actually that interested, I have a hundred sd games, I can still play them in my ds or 3ds, they're so recent I doubt I'll get the nostalgia bug... The snes VC is actually the one I want to see more of out of them all. 3rd parties really do need to get involved....

Saying that. What sd games do people think would be great for Wii u? Taking into account the screens being so far apart.

Surely both screens on the gamepad won't work for out games due to the buttons? Stylus only games maybe okay, but most won't.

How much do we think sd game are going to be? Match the n64 at £9 or even more expensive? Knowing Nintendo they'll do something stupid like £15....

However good they look, I'm not actually that interested, I have a hundred sd games, I can still play them in my ds or 3ds, they're so recent I doubt I'll get the nostalgia bug... The snes VC is actually the one I want to see more of out of them all. 3rd parties really do need to get involved....

Saying that. What sd games do people think would be great for Wii u? Taking into account the screens being so far apart.

Surely both screens on the gamepad won't work for out games due to the buttons? Stylus only games maybe okay, but most won't.

I'd say around £10 is likely, but it is fairly recent (no moreso than the N64 was when the Wii N64 VC came out. That's a scary thought).

The way I see it working is that you can have the games run a variety of ways

TV Topscreen, GamePad bottom

Both screens on screen in standard

Both screens on screen in "book"

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!