N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Hero-of-Time

Hopefully there's also an item of sorts to pick up in the dungeon itself. If the inventory is as big as what it was during E3 that should be the case.

That would imply that bosses can be killed by simple sword swings instead of the dungeon relevant item?

Why would it? You still need the item to get through the dungeon.

Seems like my excitement for this grows as my interest in WW dwindles - the idea of an non-linear approach is fascinating - not just for the dungeons but for the world as well. Finding areas you can/can't reach yet depending on your dungeon choices - do you opt for that item next or another? It's a whole aspect of layering and letting you play the way you choose - an idea that I absolutely love in games. One thing I hope they don't do with the items however is a swap-in/swap-out borrow system, causing much traipsing back and forth to get the right combinations for the right areas etc.

As much as I disliked the idea of the LttP cashin at first, if they give me such a non-linear game in that world then it's actually quite suited - many people will remember the LttP world almost inside out(or at least in terms of what items and secrets are where) - it'll be fun visiting the old spots from the original in the new games and seeing what, if anything, is there.

I just hope there's a fair amount of new land to explore in the 'other world'. The idea of having unknown overworld exploration basically stripped away from a Zelda game suddenly makes the on rails mechanic of PH/ST and the level select hub world of SS seem glorious in comparison.

You mean that it's layed out different, or that there's new things or what? I imagine it'd follow a same basic layout, but there's plenty of things that can be changed up; not to mention easy addition/removal of caves and stuff too.

If you look at the recent footage of the other world, it doesn't follow the regular Hyrule overworld exactly. There are a couple of cliffs and dead ends in the land where there weren't there in the light world. Which I find encouraging, as I'm hoping for a fair amount different in terms of layout.

I wonder if you'll only be able to travel between worlds using the cracks in the wall or if we'll get a mirror type object later that allows travel any place any time. The former would allow for differing terrains a lot more.

Why would it? You still need the item to get through the dungeon.

It might as well be in the dungeon then. Although if they all require items to a degree it seems almost better to explore a dungeon without an item just to see which one is needed, and then go back to the store to purchase it.

It might as well be in the dungeon then.

You said that this new way of doing things implied that bosses would have to be killed using your sword? Each dungeon still has it's own item, you can just tackle them in any order, and presumably the boss will still have a weakness to a particular item.

You said that this new way of doing things implied that bosses would have to be killed using your sword? Each dungeon still has it's own item, you can just tackle them in any order, and presumably the boss will still have a weakness to a particular item.

This. And to point you in the right direction of which dungeon needs which item, they may have to be used to unlock the dungeon entrance. Speculation of course.

This raises a few points:

A] Depending on how expensive the items are it dictates what order you'll go it. As you'll hardly be able to afford the expensive items to begin with.

B] There will be no real change in difficulty. If the dungeons can be completed in any order the enemies should (in theory) all be at the same strength, and if you're buffing up with heart containers there seems to be a lack of challenge.

This raises a few points:

A] Depending on how expensive the items are it dictates what order you'll go it. As you'll hardly be able to afford the expensive items to begin with.

B] There will be no real change in difficulty. If the dungeons can be completed in any order the enemies should (in theory) all be at the same strength, and if you're buffing up with heart containers there seems to be a lack of challenge.

A. What if all the items are the same price?

B. That is indeed an interesting point. It didn't make any difference in the original Zelda, but video games were a harsher beast back then. Personally, I find bosses in Zelda don't distribute any more damage than the other, there's just a 'knack' to tackling them. Aside from the final boss in any of the Zelda titles, I'd feel confident going up against, say..... Volvagia, with three heart containers. But I know that I'm not everyone.

Three Things We Learned About Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Zelda's producer reveals a few details about the art, story cinematics, and other hints.

Why Did the Art Change After E3?

Links-610x312.jpg

The E3 art for Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (middle) was inspired by the Japanese box art for A Link to the Past (far left).

Before we get too specific, here's some quick context: During a Nintendo Direct presentation in early August, Global President Saturo Iwata announced a few new details for A Link Between Worlds. During the presentation, Iwata introduced a new piece of art that depicted a younger Link than the one shown previously at E3 2013. We asked Aonuma to talk a little bit both pieces, and tell us why the change happened.

Eiji Aonuma: In Japan, where this game is called Kamigami no Triforce 2 (editors note: this translates*to The Triforce of the Gods 2, the original Japanese title of the game we know as A Link to the Past), in the U.S., it’s titled A Link Between Worlds, so there’s a little bit of difference even in the image the title creates. We’re positing this as… I guess you could say it’s a sequel to the last game.

But addressing the artwork, if we look at the original title, you see that the artwork that we used to advertise the game didn’t really match the artwork that was in the game, because the artwork we had to advertise the game had a very mature, adult-like Link. Then, when you got into the game, of course, because of the technology of the time, you couldn’t see Link in any specific detail. So that gap wasn’t problematic, let’s say. However, as we’ve moved on to 3DS and started developing this game, we’ve discovered that you can see Link in the game.

I have to say that when we were creating artwork for E3, we really just hadn’t finalized what that artwork was going to be, so the image that you saw, the art asset we used for E3, was almost a placeholder, let’s say. Then, as we started getting further into the development of the game and started finalizing the artwork and looking at the cinematic scenes and looking at how Link was represented in the game itself, we then adapted the artwork to come closer to what you were going to see in the game, and thereby remove that gap that had previously existed in the original title. Also, just letting you know, since it’s not finalized yet, we may see more changes going forward. Please understand that what you guys are seeing is really development in… You’re getting a live, real-time view into development. Please understand what this change represents, and that we may see more changes moving forward as well.

Are There Cinematic Cutscenes in A Link Between Worlds?

When Aonuma described the art, we noticed he mentioned “cinematic scenes.” Up until now, Nintendo has only shown us two demos and multiple screenshots from a top-down perspective, so we asked him to elaborate his previous answer.

Aonuma: For people who really want to get into the story and play the game for that whole story aspect – that’s what drives them to play the game – there are certain elements of the story that you really have difficulty representing from a top view or even from a side view. So there are other views that I guess you could call movie-type scenes or cinematic-type scenes in the game, yes.

What can you tell us about the bracelet Link is wearing?

Link3-610x403.jpg

What does this mysterious bracelet do?

Even in the original 3D art, we couldn't help but notice Link is wearing a new bracelet. The detail carried over in the revised art shown last August, so we asked about it.

Aonmua: Good job noticing that, the bracelet. [laughs] That’s very nicely done. The bracelet is a very important item that he gets at the beginning of the adventure, and it’s something that’s really important throughout the course of the adventure. I don’t want to give away too much, because it will spoil a lot of the fun, but let’s just say that it ties into Link’s ability to become a picture… I don’t know if we’re calling them drawings or paintings or pictures? Forgive me for not having the right terminology. I’m sure you’ll see materials that call it one or the other and give the correct terminology you should use.

How Does A Link Between Worlds Tie into A Link to the Past?

Obviously getting an answer to this question was a long shot, but we asked anyway. A Link to the Past had a self-contained story, where everything pretty much wrapped up when that game ended. Now that we’re drawing closer and closer to the impending release of A Link Between Worlds, we asked if Aonuma could share any details or entry points into the story. How does this game tie into the story of A Link to the Past?

Aonuma: [nervous laughter] Sorry, the PR group is telling me not to answer that question. [more laughs]

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/11/three-things-we-learned-about-zelda-a-link-between-worlds

These cutscenes he mentions sound intriguing. I'm having a hard time imagining them doing fully 3D animated clips at eye level but then what else could it be given what Aonuma says about them not being possible from top down.

I'm also getting a little sick of that Hylian shield, would have been nice if they kept the ALTTP design just to change a bit.

Eiji Aonuma: In Japan, where this game is called Kamigami no Triforce 2 (editors note: this translates*to The Triforce of the Gods 2, the original Japanese title of the game we know as A Link to the Past), in the U.S., it’s titled A Link Between Worlds, so there’s a little bit of difference even in the image the title creates. We’re positing this as… I guess you could say it’s a sequel to the last game.

But addressing the artwork, if we look at the original title, you see that the artwork that we used to advertise the game didn’t really match the artwork that was in the game, because the artwork we had to advertise the game had a very mature, adult-like Link. Then, when you got into the game, of course, because of the technology of the time, you couldn’t see Link in any specific detail. So that gap wasn’t problematic, let’s say. However, as we’ve moved on to 3DS and started developing this game, we’ve discovered that you can see Link in the game.

I have to say that when we were creating artwork for E3, we really just hadn’t finalized what that artwork was going to be, so the image that you saw, the art asset we used for E3, was almost a placeholder, let’s say. Then, as we started getting further into the development of the game and started finalizing the artwork and looking at the cinematic scenes and looking at how Link was represented in the game itself, we then adapted the artwork to come closer to what you were going to see in the game, and thereby remove that gap that had previously existed in the original title. Also, just letting you know, since it’s not finalized yet, we may see more changes going forward. Please understand that what you guys are seeing is really development in… You’re getting a live, real-time view into development. Please understand what this change represents, and that we may see more changes moving forward as well.

Are There Cinematic Cutscenes in A Link Between Worlds?

When Aonuma described the art, we noticed he mentioned “cinematic scenes.” Up until now, Nintendo has only shown us two demos and multiple screenshots from a top-down perspective, so we asked him to elaborate his previous answer.

Also, just letting you know, since it’s not finalized yet, we may see more changes going forward. Please understand that what you guys are seeing is really development in… You’re getting a live, real-time view into development. Please understand what this change represents, and that we may see more changes moving forward as well.
You’re getting a live, real-time view into development. Please understand what this change represents, and that we may see more changes moving forward as well.
Please Understand
:shakehead

A. What if all the items are the same price?

B. That is indeed an interesting point. It didn't make any difference in the original Zelda, but video games were a harsher beast back then. Personally, I find bosses in Zelda don't distribute any more damage than the other, there's just a 'knack' to tackling them. Aside from the final boss in any of the Zelda titles, I'd feel confident going up against, say..... Volvagia, with three heart containers. But I know that I'm not everyone.

Both of these may be countered by tiered price items, or by some sort of questy/story lockout on the tiers to ensure the difficulty does increase.

Or...just bitch hard difficulty in some and you get pot luck on which you choose.

:shakehead

Dammit Retro, I was gonna make that joke! Thanks, Iwata!

My boner grows for this. Two months to pull my finger out and kick the shit out of dream team, then my body/3DS will be ready.

Edited by Rummy

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds to feature orchestral-style music from A Link to the Past

Coming from an interview in ONM with Eiji Aonuma...

“We will be using arrangements of music from A Link to the Past, since this is a sequel to that game, and we are also trying to make the music sound like it’s played on real instruments. People who know the original will definitely be able to tell and be happy about it, while newcomers will also be able to enjoy it.”

http://gonintendo.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=122613

• 2 weeks later...