NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Given that MM apart, every 3D console Zelda has been delayed it wasn't exactly the boldest prediction to say this one would be as well.

Exactly. It was an easy one to predict, not only because of the way it looked to be in such an early state, but also because of historical precedence.

It does seem like a Xmas 2016 release now, FIVE years after Skyward Sword, seems a crazy amount of time tbh.

Not really when you consider the fact that they've released three remakes/remasters (OOT 3D, MM 3D and TWW HD) and A Link Between Worlds during that time. Not to mention that EAD doesn't work the way that most developers do... (Basically they have a pool of production staff who are drafted onto each game as is needed - so staff who are currently working on Splatoon, Starfox Wii U or MK8's DLC will be put to work on Zelda Wii U when they're finished doing what they're currently doing - likewise, when they were developing the likes of Pikmin 3, or New Super Mario Bros 2/U or Nintendo Land, they weren't actually doing any production work on Zelda U; just basic prototyping).

A monthly release would be fine if they were quality, not half @rsed run of the mill tripe. If we had games like Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Starfox and Metroid every month the Wii U would be a lot better off.

Let me get this straight, you actually think a new Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Starfox and Metroid game released every month is realistic and/or feasible? Think things through before you start spouting nonsense.

Yes you can add things but there's a danger of the original vision being lost or diluted or half doing all the ideas instead of sticking to the original goal. Twilight Princess got bigger and bigger but the common complaint about that game was that large parts of the world felt empty. I had no problem with the game.

I'm going to hazard a guess that EAD Tokyo knows a tad more than you about game development.

Don't remind me of Skyward Sword. What a mess.

No they don't have steady releases and what's been released so far this year hasn't pleased many besides myself included. The weekly thing would be between 1st, 2nd & 3rd party releases. Obviously it's too much for Nintendo to do it on their own. A monthly release would be fine if they were quality, not half @rsed run of the mill tripe. If we had games like Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Starfox and Metroid every month the Wii U would be a lot better off. Not mediocre efforts like Mario Party 10 and Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars. If they released as well as, fine, but not instead of.

Yes you can add things but there's a danger of the original vision being lost or diluted or half doing all the ideas instead of sticking to the original goal. Twilight Princess got bigger and bigger but the common complaint about that game was that large parts of the world felt empty. I had no problem with the game.

I'm suspicious of its delay and its no show at this coming E3. Why can't it at least be shown at E3? It can't be any rougher than what's been shown so far. I'm betting it releases next November on Wii U with an NX release in December with whatever bells and whistles the new console affords.

again, you are superimposing your personal views as gospel by claiming they do not have a steady stream of releases just because you don't like the games they release. It's a steady stream, it may not be a good list for you, but it's a steady stream. Accept that.

Besides, they release first party titles far more steadily than their counterparts and even those consoles don't have weekly new releases, despite third party support

Edited by Serebii

If they hold out to make this title a launch title for the next machine, that will be glorious!

TBH, I don't think its worth the effort to release this title on the Wii U - profits and all.

All you lot ever do is rage at each other in this board.... Just... chill out. Talk about Zelda in this thread, okay?

Personally I'm happy for the delay, in terms of what it means for Zelda alone (not so much for the state it leaves Wii U's catalogue in). Ocarina of Time was heavily delayed too, and look how that turned out. The same thing is happening on other consoles with games like Batman: Arkham Knight. Whilst other games are rushed to meet deadlines and are a shadow of what they could be.

Personally I'm really psyched about getting another Zelda, but have probably had fairly low expectations because I don't think there's been a truly amazing Zelda since Wind Waker (I loved TP and SS but I don't think they were the same quality of memorable experience).

Now that they're saying they're seeing new opportunities to make it something bigger and better, that gives me much more reason to look forward to it.

again, you are superimposing your personal views as gospel by claiming they do not have a steady stream of releases just because you don't like the games they release. It's a steady stream, it may not be a good list for you, but it's a steady stream. Accept that.

Besides, they release first party titles far more steadily than their counterparts

What came out in January and February so? Don't say Captain Toad. That was out over here before Christmas and it was an artificial delay anyway just like DKCR:TF the year before. February? Nada. March? 2 piles of $h1t. April? Nada. AFAIK.

I struggled to believe that this would be out in 2015 anyway, given that they were attempting to go down the massive overworld/open world route. Still, I can't say that I'm not disappointed as this is one of two WiiU games that I'm looking forward to.

Think they're doing the right thing by not rushing it as there isn't really a reason to get the game out quickly. They should focus on creating a masterpiece and it should hopefully be seen as the "Ocarina of its time". The only issue is with the console itself and what state it'll be in by the time this game comes around. Realistically, it could be one of the final games on the platform.

What came out in January and February so? Don't say Captain Toad. That was out over here before Christmas and it was an artificial delay anyway just like DKCR:TF the year before. February? Nada. March? 2 piles of $h1t. April? Nada. AFAIK.

Toad was January. But take this to the Wii u thread, this is Zelda chat.

Personally, I'm gutted, obviously, but history will probably prove it a great decision. Leaves the Wii u in its continued hideous state.

The only issue is with the console itself and what state it'll be in by the time this game comes around. Realistically, it could be one of the final games on the platform.

Yeah. I would be grateful if they just don't release this on the Wii U at all. It won't do the game justice. Just start afresh - throw away all the wii remote and Gamepad compatibility, create a traditional and powerful (or at least 'capable') system - and launch with a full blown Zelda, possibly a Mario World too, possibly a sequel of the Starfox we will be getting on Wii U and just go out all guns blazing with marketing it.

Sure, a lot of fans will be raging at the principle, but its happened before (Pikmin 3) but we end up happy when it finally arrives and it will draw in a new crowd/fresh blood with a new enthusiasm for a Nintendo home console.

I also would not want a Twilight Princess scenario - just nip it in the bud and put all the hope in the new console.

Yeah. I would be grateful if they just don't release this on the Wii U at all. It won't do the game justice. Just start afresh - throw away all the wii remote and Gamepad compatibility, create a traditional and powerful (or at least 'capable') system - and launch with a full blown Zelda, possibly a Mario World too, possibly a sequel of the Starfox we will be getting on Wii U and just go out all guns blazing with marketing it.

Sure, a lot of fans will be raging at the principle, but its happened before (Pikmin 3) but we end up happy when it finally arrives and it will draw in a new crowd/fresh blood with a new enthusiasm for a Nintendo home console.

I also would not want a Twilight Princess scenario - just nip it in the bud and put all the hope in the new console.

As much as I'm not a fan of the WiiU's concept or controller, this Zelda HAS to be released on it. When I look back through each Nintendo console's lifespan, I think of what games were released on it and, notably, which Zelda graced each console.

When I think of the N64, I think of Ocarina and Majora, for example. To preserve some sort of legacy for the WiiU, Nintendo HAS to release this Zelda on there. I don't personally want another Twilight Princess situation where it appears on two consoles at the same time. It's...too weird. They should and hopefully will milk the WiiU's hardware dry and get every bit of power they can from it to make it the most advanced Zelda to date. I hope so anyway.

And the Wii u is more than capable. Mario kart, smash, even toad, splatoon etc all look incredible. It'll be glorious. The only reason to move it is to kill of the Wii u and start again. Want happen though!

Wii U is more than capable and deserves a great Zelda. Sounds like Nintendo are holding back on a 3D Mario for their next console launch anyway.

That statement of how they're trying for the Ultimate Zelda, well that's what they aim for with every console Zelda(except Skyward Sword). I'd be a little worried, adding new ideas as they're going along. Did they not have a clear vision and blueprint or are they winging it?

That's an excellent point. The idea that they didn't have the whole game concept mapped out is ridiculous.

I do have faith but not even seeing it at E3. What is going on? And this could well be another Twilight Princess stalling it for the new platform. The exact same things were said about that game when it was delayed.

Yeah, if they don't show it at E3, it's because they don't want to show it again as a Wii U game. It'll probably next turn up at E3 2016 as an NX game (with a small statement afterwards along the lines of: "Wii U version will be released one week after the NX version").

The Wii U is dead, this game will be its swansong before NX takes over. It's a tough decision what to do. Cancel the Wii U version, feel the wrath of the Wii U owners and it'd be the first Nintendo console without an original Zelda. Keep it on the Wii U and port it to NX, I'd be fine with that. But there would be those that want Zelda to be a true next gen game taking full advantage of the NX. Put it on the NX only and the game could be delayed even further. That's all of course if that's what happens. As I've stated I believe it'll be on both platforms.

The Wii U is dead, this game will be its swansong before NX takes over. It's a tough decision what to do. Cancel the Wii U version, feel the wrath of the Wii U owners and it'd be the first Nintendo console without an original Zelda. Keep it on the Wii U and port it to NX, I'd be fine with that. But there would be those that want Zelda to be a true next gen game taking full advantage of the NX. Put it on the NX only and the game could be delayed even further. That's all of course if that's what happens. As I've stated I believe it'll be on both platforms.

This is a Skyward Sword situation, not a Twilight Princess one.

The first "NX" platform that will be released will be the 3DS' successor, not the Wii U's one. It has been out much longer and is due to be replaced first, as has been the case with every single handheld Nintendo has ever produced.

As I keep repeating, you're thinking business realities when you should be thinking R&D realities. New hardware (and software for that hardware) takes time to develop and while the time gap between the two may well be shorter than in the past due to the fact that they're gonna share the same hardware architecture (and OS for the most part), it will still take more time to develop a console after making the handheld.

That means that even with a delay to Xmas 2016, Zelda Wii U will be due to release more than a year before the Wii U's successor is due. They're not gonna sit on it for that long (it's exactly just like how Skyward Sword came out roughly a year before the Wii U came out - they didn't hold off on releasing it for Wii now did they?)

Think back to how the 3DS was unveiled. It was announced slightly before E3 2010 and first unveiled there, then released in Feb/March 2011 - roughly 2.5 years after the DSi launched in Japan (and 2 years after it launched in the west). Likewise, the GBA followed a similar pattern after the GBC.

The console always comes after the handheld because they need time to develop the hardware/system software/SDKs and the launch software to go along with it. Right now they are knee deep in Wii U game development (the tech know how will transfer directly over to the joint NX platform though, because it's said to be based on the Wii U's hardware architecture); so when they are done with this wave of Wiii U software, their teams will start to mainly focus on NX/4DS development - just like they always do (the last year of a Nintendo console/handheld's life is always relatively barren because that is their transitional period).

So following Nintendo's usual R&D pattern, 2015 will be the Wii U's last big year, then they unveil the 4DS at E3 2016 (as Iwata just said they would with the NX) and probably release it in March 2017 worldwide. That same year at E3 2017, they'll announce the Wii U's successor and probably release it in either November 2017 or March 2018 (depending on feasabilty).

Edited by Dcubed

Except the very first, the gameboy went along 3 generations before the gameboy advance. I think the next consoles will be very close to each other like the advance and cube. Handheld spring 2017, home console winter 2017. Maybe even them both at the same time.

Except the very first, the gameboy went along 3 generations before the gameboy advance. I think the next consoles will be very close to each other like the advance and cube. Handheld spring 2017, home console winter 2017. Maybe even them both at the same time.

The GBC was the GB equivalent of the DSi and the New3DS. Doubled CPU clock speed, extra hardware gimmicks, exclusive/hybrid games and 2/4x the RAM. The original GB's life was extended because of Pokemon and the GBC existed because the GBA (known as Project Atlantis then) was behind schedule and suffering development hell. Likewise, the DSi was released in order to buy time for them to get the 3DS done and the software made for it.

All of them have had the same 2/2.5 year lifespan and the New3DS will be no different. It will also get another mainline Pokemon game that pushes it as well.

And I do suspect that you might be right about the NX handheld and console coming out the same year like GBA and GCN, but definitely not at the same time (even though they share the same architecture, they are not the same hardware spec and will have plenty to differentiate them), but I do think it's possible that they might both be 2017 (March 2017 for handheld, Nov 2017 for console) but I wouldn't be surprised to see the console slip into early 2018 though.

Either way, that's much too far out for Zelda Wii U to get shifted over to the Wii U's successor. Again, it's like Skyward Sword, not Twilight Princess here.

GameBoy is weird. They were ready to shut it down in 1996 but Pokémon gave it new life and prolonged it another 5 years, with help from the GameBoy Color

The GBC was the GB equivalent of the DSi and the New3DS. Doubled CPU clock speed, extra hardware gimmicks, exclusive/hybrid games and 2/4x the RAM. The original GB's life was extended because of Pokemon and the GBC existed because the GBA (known as Project Atlantis then) was behind schedule and suffering development hell. Likewise, the DSi was released in order to buy time for them to get the 3DS done and the software made for it.

All of them have had the same 2/2.5 year lifespan and the New3DS will be no different. It will also get another mainline Pokemon game that pushes it as well.

And I do suspect that you might be right about the NX handheld and console coming out the same year like GBA and GCN, but definitely not at the same time (even though they share the same architecture, they are not the same hardware spec and will have plenty to differentiate them), but I do think it's possible that they might both be 2017 (March 2017 for handheld, Nov 2017 for console) but I wouldn't be surprised to see the console slip into early 2018 though.

Either way, that's much too far out for Zelda Wii U to get shifted over to the Wii U's successor. Again, it's like Skyward Sword, not Twilight Princess here.

Yeah exactly, and I wouldn't call GBC or new 3ds new handhelds. So theyve not always released new handhelds before new consoles :)

And yeah, I don't think and dont want them to delay Zelda for nx. Unless it was a full on abandonment and nx released next year. Which won't happen.

The first "NX" platform that will be released will be the 3DS' successor, not the Wii U's one. It has been out much longer and is due to be replaced first, as has been the case with every single handheld Nintendo has ever produced.

Personally, I hope the NX is a handheld, but it could be a very powerful one. When you look at how advanced Vita was - released 2011/2012 - and the fact that Wii U is from late 2012, it's quite possible that, by 2016, handheld technology might be able to somewhat resemble the latter. Even if it has to run at 480p, I don't think it's inconceivable that there would be an NX version of Zelda Wii U.

I think Nintendo's shareholders/board must have said "You've spent all that money making Zelda for a console where people don't buy the games?" (I know I'm putting it crudely, but that's the gist of it). Then Nintendo must have looked at the Skyward Sword situation and how that worked out for them, business-wise, compared to the Twilight Princess situation and made the leap.

I really don't mind the delay on the Zelda game. We'll get it eventually and we've all heard this:

A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

[/Quote]

As long as we get one eventually, and it's good, I'll be happy.

As much as I'm not a fan of the WiiU's concept or controller, this Zelda HAS to be released on it. When I look back through each Nintendo console's lifespan, I think of what games were released on it and, notably, which Zelda graced each console.

When I think of the N64, I think of Ocarina and Majora, for example. To preserve some sort of legacy for the WiiU, Nintendo HAS to release this Zelda on there. I don't personally want another Twilight Princess situation where it appears on two consoles at the same time. It's...too weird. They should and hopefully will milk the WiiU's hardware dry and get every bit of power they can from it to make it the most advanced Zelda to date. I hope so anyway.

I agree with the legacy issue, but knowing Nintendo, this will probably be a TP issue.

The new console is probably due by 2017 - and I don't really see this Zelda being completed by 2016. (I feel as time goes by with delays, more ideas want to be implemented and new tech advances added)

And unlike TP and SS, there is no real mechanical gimmick with this Zelda besides the Gamepad map features - which in my eyes makes it very compatible with a traditional, non-waggle-centric, console.

And the Wii u is more than capable. Mario kart, smash, even toad, splatoon etc all look incredible. It'll be glorious. The only reason to move it is to kill of the Wii u and start again. Want happen though!

Certainly, the Wii U is capable - but its still not a system I would want the 'ultimate' Zelda to be on.

Little things (for me), like having no real Dolby surround/digital sound and adding Gamepad-specfic things in JUST to add it in. For me, its what makes games like OOT, MM and now WW so timeless and seamless to play.

Edited by King_V

That Miyamoto quote really doesn't hold as much ground as it used to.

That Shigeru Miyamoto quote really does not hold as much ground as it previously did.

Patched that for you