NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Iwata himself has said it's a brand new concept that shouldn't be seen as a replacement for either the 3DS or the Wii U.

Just like the DS was a "third pillar" and was never intended to replace the GBA? :indeed:

Zelda U is going to be pretty expensive to develop, Nintendo need to recoup that investment and profit from it. Where will it be more successful, as a launch title for NX or at the back end of Wii U? Sales differences between Twilight Princess and Skyward Bored should give a clear indication.

Hmm, I think that even if they spend 10-15mil on developing the game, they would make huge profit on it.

I don't see how they wouldn't sell few million copies easy and that at full price. I know they will not, but they could make it only eshop available or at least in first few months, so they maximize the profit.

I actually would be disappointed if they don't release it on Wii U and would loose some trust I have in them as a company. I know they have released Zelda Wind Waker (and I didn't play it so it will be a new game for me), but Nintendo system without new Zelda is not what the fans want and Nintendo fans are very patient and do deserve some things to be done the proper way. At least it's how I would look at it.

I hate this situation Zelda had gotten into being one of the last games on Nintendo's consoles and thus not living up to potential. After Mario, Zelda used to signal in what Nintendo's consoles were capable of. If Mario was a system showcase, Zelda was the marker, the game that set the standard for games on the console for others to live up to.

Now we have these Zelda's that could go either way, either closing out a console and being made to look a little shody as next gen games come out around it, interest in Nintendo's console is waining (even by Nintendo themselves), or its bumped up to the new console and doesn't take advantage of that consoles true potential. Stupid Zelda cycle.

Edited by Retro_Link

I don't understand this "it'll shift to NX" thing. We have no idea what NX is, Iwata himself has said it's a brand new concept that shouldn't be seen as a replacement for either the 3DS or the Wii U. They've delayed Zelda because funnily enough making a big polished openworld game takes time.

No to a trailer at E3, a few details might slip out during interviews but nothing more, can't see them wanting to take the focus away from their upcoming games.

Not that I think it will, but it's quite likely, Theyve done it before, the Wii u has Bo bed and theyve pretty much decided to not say a single word in it for a year.... Something big has happened. I think the gsmes visual style is going to get a major overhaul and be the wii u's swan song. But it moving woudnt surprise anyone. Especially as next e3, maybe the next time we hear about Zelda, will also be whe. We hear about nx. They'll either bustling each other, or compliment each other.

And when did Nintendo say nx isn't to replace Wii u or 3ds?

At this point, with the console struggling to gain any sort of positive momentum, there would be a portion of Nintendo fans who would assume Zelda was delayed for the next console. It doesn't matter if Nintendo teased a codename or not, the same debate would be happening.

Zelda U is going to be pretty expensive to develop, Nintendo need to recoup that investment and profit from it. Where will it be more successful, as a launch title for NX or at the back end of Wii U? Sales differences between Twilight Princess and Skyward Bored should give a clear indication.

Blah, blah, yeah, Nintendo will want to keep current Wii U owners occupied but, aside from Xenoblade, we're not seeing big investment on Wii U by Nintendo, everything they're presenting us with (so far) is, I guess, relatively cheap to develop. They're not going to throw in a massively expensive game like Zelda to keep us "satisfied".

Nintendos biggest mistake with the Wii u was killing the Wii off 18 mk this before and losing all sales momentum. Many of those gamers moved to phones or bought a hd console. Nintendo abandoned them.

So Nintendo better keep Wii u owners satisfied up to the launch of the nx. Or they'll lose more fans. I'm pretty sure they will though.

Nintendos biggest mistake with the Wii u was killing the Wii off 18 mk this before and losing all sales momentum. Many of those gamers moved to phones or bought a hd console. Nintendo abandoned them.

So Nintendo better keep Wii u owners satisfied up to the launch of the nx. Or they'll lose more fans. I'm pretty sure they will though.

Don't know if it's the biggest mistake but it's sure a contributory factor. Agree they can't just shift over development to NX and leave Wii U in the cold, but if they support Wii U with smaller titles (like Splatoon, Starfox, Yoshi) and leave Zelda as a big hitter for NX, drive sales to the new machine.

I partially disagree - biggest mistake for me was arguably marketing the Wii U and the whole confusion with what the Wii U was supposed to be. Big second, was not having a real system selling launch title. (New Super Mario bros... seriously?)

With every new console, you still have the opportunity to bring in fresh blood (new consumers, people sitting on the fence, people wanting something new, impulse buyers, gifts etc) as long as you pitch and sell it properly - particularly in time for Christmas.

I don't really believe most consumers out there have this dogged brand loyalty when it comes to entertainment (unless they are fans/ex fans) - The Wii's success clearly illustrates this.

Thats why Im all for putting Zelda on NX and only NX - hoping its a traditional console with a traditional controller. New console + new Zelda + Winter release = perfect win condition. I think releasing whats looking to be such a grand and resource-draining game will do more harm than good releasing on a 4 year old console, that never really had the fan base to begin with.

of course, other issues such as filling out the launch period with games, third party support etc etc are also equally important.

Edited by King_V

There'll be no point putting Zelda or any other game on the NX unless Nintendo once and for all have seriously learned from their mistakes. I don't think they have though.

And when did Nintendo say nx isn't to replace Wii u or 3ds?

Nintendo NX 'not a replacement for 3DS or Wii U'

The Nintendo NX, the Haus of Mario's next dedicated gaming platform, remains shrouded in mystery. It's set to remain that way until 2016, but we now at least know what it's not: a replacement for either of the company's current consoles.

Following a Nintendo investor briefing, officially translated here, president Satoru Iwata says that although the NX will be "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept," he does not "intend it to become a simple "replacement" for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U."

Talking further on how consoles and handhelds are currently seen, Iwata added "When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas."

"Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them [a new concept] by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country. This is all that I can confirm."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-05/15/nintendo-nx-not-wii-u-3ds-replacement

But I don't think he's saying what you're implying. Seems to me he just means it's not going to be the same thing but more powerful, they're not 'just' replacing them, instead they're doing something different, like a hybrid.

So, more powerfull Wii U version, with no limitations when it comes to gamepad, which obviously would need to be smaller?

I just can't figure out what kind of hybrid it could be otherwise.

Maybe they are going more for virtual reality, or something like that (more powerful and sofisticated Wii).

"intend it to become a simple "replacement" for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U."

"intend it to become a simple "replacement" for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U."

Hybrid console confirmed.

These consents could indicate NX being more of a software platform. Sure, well get a home console, a dedicated handheld, maybe Japan will see a gaming feature phone? A thought.

Edited by david.dakota

The same way the DS wasn't a replacement for the Gameboy? It was meant as a third pillar. How'd that work out?

So, more powerfull Wii U version, with no limitations when it comes to gamepad, which obviously would need to be smaller?

I just can't figure out what kind of hybrid it could be otherwise.

Maybe they are going more for virtual reality, or something like that (more powerful and sofisticated Wii).

More a Wii u powerful handheld that can plus into the tele and be played there too.

Or. What I hope. Seperate devices. But all handheld gsmes work in the home console. Maybe even upres. The handheld digital only.

Hold on a minute. What is this even doing in the Zelda discussion? And we had this information days ago.

What We Want From the Next Legend of Zelda - NVC Podcast

And the reason for not showing Zelda is......

According to IGN:

Fils-Aime: “Our mentality is more near-term when we think about E3. And, yes, we take it on a case-by-case basis. There’s also a recognition that we didn't want to frustrate the consumer. We could have scored a lot of points and showed some little tidbit of Zelda Wii U, but in our collective opinion the belief was, in the end, that would cause more frustration than benefit."

So they didn't want to frustrate us. Idiots.

What they've gone and done has caused more frustration, they're their own worst enemy at times

Well I'm sure they've learned from Sony that they can show a CG trailer for something over 2 years away and people will go batshit crazy so hopefully they won't make the same mistake again.

Well I'm sure they've learned from Sony that they can show a CG trailer for something over 2 years away and people will go batshit crazy so hopefully they won't make the same mistake again.

I find it laughable that they didn't already know this. It's about creating hype and anticipation. FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 done it a couple of E3s ago. It's standard practice at this point.

Also, it's not as if they've never done this before. Xenoblade was shown first around two years ago, the same with Yoshi and the FE crossover.

you say that like its a bad thing, hype is hype and translates to sales

Or they could show gameplay trailers for games out next year (TLG, Uncharted)? Also the FF7 remake has been in development for a while (was already underway at last year's E3 when they revealed the FF7 port), so we don't know it's 2 years away.

Either way, would you like some salsa for that chip on your shoulder? :indeed:

I think they were trying to avoid another "Twilight Princess" scenario, where the game was hyped for way longer than it should've been. Skyward Sword, by comparison, was only shown as a trailer when it resembled the final product, and was generally better received at launch.

Of course, if the goal was to not saturate the game's hype, all they had to do was to NOT talk about Zelda anywhere other than E3. As it stands, I have a feeling that they will talk about (or even show) Zelda somewhere else before next year's E3, simply because that's a thing they have done before.

Or they could show gameplay trailers for games out next year (TLG, Uncharted)? Also the FF7 remake has been in development for a while (was already underway at last year's E3 when they revealed the FF7 port), so we don't know it's 2 years away.

Either way, would you like some salsa for that chip on your shoulder? :indeed:

FFXV has also been in development for a while. It was shown in what, 2006? Where is it now? When is it coming? Just because it has been "in development for a while" is in no way an indicator that it's imminent

My only conclusion is that the development of this game is in trouble. With the recent delay and omission of footage and comments like this, I'm getting more and more convinced it's having a total overhaul for some reason(either it wasn't good enough or that it's being dual-devved for NX).