Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Xbox One Console Discussion

Cube

(Update: Microsoft called Wired after this story was originally published to say that the company did have a plan for used games, and that further details were forthcoming.)

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

This is worrying. If there was nothing, they'd say "Of course we're not putting fees in"...

From Eurogamer

Our man on the ground Tom Bramwell was able to speak to corporate vice president of Microsoft Phil Harrison about this hot-button issue and was able to confirm that a second user can install a game from a friend's disc for a fee, though it's unclear how much this will be. Harrison also confirmed that several users sharing a console can access the same game at no additional charge, and Microsoft has "a solution" for the resale market, though it's staying mum on those for now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play

From MCV

MCV has now spoken to a Microsoft PR representative. The official line is as follows: “Xbox One will run pre-owned games. It will not block pre-owned games. We will additional details at a later stage.”

When asked if users would be charged a fee for playing pre-owned game the representative was not able to offer an official response on the record and reiterated that additional conditions regarding the use of pre-owned games would be revealed at a later date.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

EG: The big thing that everything is concerned about is the Xbox One's attitude to second-hand gaming. I really want to try to get to the bottom of this issue before we talk about anything else.

Harrison: Okay, so, I can understand where some of the confusion may have come from, so let me try to help out there. First of all, you can buy a game on a disc from a retail store, come home and install it to your Xbox One. The disc contains all the bits and data on that game, which you can then give to your friend, and they can then install it on their Xbox One. No restriction on that, except that the second person obviously has to pay for it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play

Seems like they arent as organised as usual. There are lots of wishy washy answers on little things.

AA batteries for the controller in this day and age, power brick, internal hdd can not be replaced and only USB hdd can be added.

On the plus side its alot cheaper than the PS4. It will be quite easy to buy one alongside a PS4 or wiiU i suppose.

What on earth are Microsoft playing at? Someone tweets no fees, Phil Harrison is quoted rather flippantly confirming there are fees as if its not an issue, they clearly didn't anticipate that people might pick up on this. I picked up a 360 a few years after launch, but I can't remember anything like this happening when it was released. Still I guess we have twitter and Facebook now to spread this sort of thing :)

Is a console unveiling meant to answer questions or produce more confusion?

Microsoft did a Nintendo. Congratulations!

At least they didn't show Rare's new Kinect games...

Ha exactly! Microsoft have tried to out Nintendo Nintendo, Sony must be thoroughly enjoying the free advertising!

I was working when it showed so only seen snippets and followed the typed up stories, did they say anything about Blu Ray support out of interest?

Just got back, watched the event and caught up with everything else. Holy cow, what an utter disaster! :laughing:

So it seems that all the worst case scenarios have come true. Games are a tertiary concern, behind TV/Movies and internet, wont turn on without a connected Kinect, no backwards compatibility/game transferring, no games of any interest were shown and the online connectivity requirement & no used games systems rumours turned out to be completely true, oh wow!

Not to mention that they've managed to make a console with effectively the same name (and size!) as their first console. No possibility for confusion there!

They're so high on their own fumes of hubris that they can't even see how they've created such a clusterfuck that even Sony of 2006 would blush at the sight of it! (all it needs now is a $600 pricetag and we're all set - and with a Kinect 2.0 included with every machine, it might still well be!).

Third Console Curse anyone?

Edited by Dcubed

1st world problems but I had no internet for about 3 weeks last year and pretty much relied on single player PS3 games to get through. I wouldn't be very happy and probably wouldnt cope if I was locked out of all my games after just 24 hours of that time.